Games Beaten 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by MrPopo »

pook99 wrote:@MrPopo: I'm currently playing Valfaris and loving it. Have you ever played slain? It is from the same developer and has a very similar graphical style and metal soundtrack but it is more gothic and a hack n slash

I did play Slain; the devs were giving out free Slain: Back From Hell codes at the Valfaris demo. It's solid, but definitely more frustrating to play and it's clear they learned a lot about game design that they applied to Valfaris.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:46. Corpse Party (PSP)

I'm glad that you disliked this game. I hate it with a burning passion for the same reasons you did, but usually whenever I meet someone who's played it (which has only happened a couple of times) they give me a weird look and say they completely didn't pick up on any inappropriate sexualization. I consider myself pretty open minded with my games, but Corpse Party really gets into some icky territory that drags down the whole thing.
After I beat the game I remember that I just kept thinking about certain things and hating it more and more.

I appreciate that you looked up the differences between the remake and the PC-98 original. IMO that version sounds a lot more appealing. Not appealing enough for me to ever want to play having already played the PSP version, but it's the version I WISH I had played instead.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Nemoide wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:46. Corpse Party (PSP)

I'm glad that you disliked this game. I hate it with a burning passion for the same reasons you did, but usually whenever I meet someone who's played it (which has only happened a couple of times) they give me a weird look and say they completely didn't pick up on any inappropriate sexualization. I consider myself pretty open minded with my games, but Corpse Party really gets into some icky territory that drags down the whole thing.
After I beat the game I remember that I just kept thinking about certain things and hating it more and more.

I appreciate that you looked up the differences between the remake and the PC-98 original. IMO that version sounds a lot more appealing. Not appealing enough for me to ever want to play having already played the PSP version, but it's the version I WISH I had played instead.

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling the way I do about the game! Your input near the start in the TR thread did a lot to help convince me that I wasn't just seeing things and the game really was being this unpleasant XP

I had remembered hearing that Corpse Party had originally been a "free app in Japan" before it was a PSP game, so I was just looking that up to see if it was true when I came across the PC-98 version. There's a few paragraphs on the Wikipedia page about the more general stuff that was changed, but there's a completely playthrough on Youtube (granted it is all in Japanese). I've been meaning to watch the whole thing instead of watching the first couple videos, as it really does seem like that is a far less discomforting experience than the reboot is. At any rate, I'm really glad I looked into it because of just how much light it sheds on why some parts of Corpse Party: Blood Covered are so good while others are SO much worse (not to mention sheds some light on why the sequels are seen as so inferior, as at that point I suppose they'd run out of original game to build off of). If I do get around to watching through the PC-98 version I'll be sure to post my thoughts somewhere here on the site though~

I totally agree with you on how I've been totally alone, save for you of course, in seeing the inappropriate sexualization and such in this game. Everyone I've mentioned it to gives me the internet textual equivalent of a confused head turn and that they didn't pick up on that stuff at all.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Y'all are crazy. I loved Corpse Party.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Y'all are crazy. I loved Corpse Party.

But inappropriate sexualization is kinda your thing, see?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:

But inappropriate sexualization is kinda your thing, see?

While I frequently find myself thinking you guys see things as worse than they are, this statement isn't wrong.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

If y'all want to play a dumpster fire of a game, go for Last Action Hero on SNES.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sarge wrote:If y'all want to play a dumpster fire of a game, go for Last Action Hero on SNES.

Yeah, it's like the Cliffhanger video game in that way...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

You're more than welcome to still enjoy the game. I'm just stating why I don't like it.
I'd be very interested to hear your defense of the game if you'd be interested in saying so. What makes my opinions so "crazy"? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)
39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
40. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
41. Luigi's Mansion (3DS) *
42. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
43. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga & Bowser's Minions (3DS)
44. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story & Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)
45. Tomato Adventure (GBA)
46. Corpse Party (PSP)

47. Rave Master: Fighting Live (GC)

When I stayed with my friend last weekend, this was a Gamecube game he got for peanuts that we thought "why not give a try". It has 5 "story mode" stories to play through, but beating one of them DOES give you the credits, and given that we've used that metric for fighting games in the past on this site, I'm calling this one beaten even though I only beat 2 out of the 5 myself. I seriously doubt my opinion on it would change at all given any more play time, anyhow :lol:

This is a fighting game by Konami based on their manga/anime Rave Master, a series I have never seen anything but adverts for like 15 years ago XP. My friend was a fan when he was younger though, and he said the story bits carried a very similar vibe from the show. There are story scenes with dialogue between fights that's sometimes funny, but ultimately pretty uninteresting to someone who knows nothing about the show like I did. Shock and horror, I know, an early 2000's licensed fighting game with a boring story :b. The only real criticism I can level against it is that these scenes aren't voice acted. For something based on a licensed property that DOES have some VA for the characters as they fight, it struck me as very odd to have literally no VA of any kind for the fairly short story scenes, not even in the Japanese version that we were playing. On a hilarious note, while the few female characters predictably have some pretty awful jiggle physics on their breasts, there's a male character how has the same physics for his BUTT, which had us absolutely in stitches with laughter when we first noticed it.

The mechanics are basically a very poor-man's Power Stone 2. It's a 4-player arena fighter with not so stellar targeting, all the stages are basically the same with no ring-outs, some characters who are obviously really poorly balanced, and a series of passives you can pick up (one of each of three kinds) as well as weapons during battle. There's a kinda cool mechanic where, instead of items, you can make characters drop the weapon they're holding, and the random usable items that drop are other characters' weapons who appear in the game. This means that ever weapon basically has two styles: a style for the person who owns that weapon, and an "everyone else" default style. It's a neat idea, but the combat is so otherwise bad and the AI is so dumb that it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot.

The controls are kinda weird too. B is your default attack, A is a special attack, X is jump, and Z picks up and drops items (so dropping your weapon when you wanna pick up a passive happens a LOT). I haven't played Power Stone myself, so I don't know how true this is for either of those games, but for the arcade mode in this, the rule was basically that if you were one-on-one, you could combo someone into the dirt and probably perfect the match barely trying by just mashing B. But if you were fighting TWO enemies, you would almost certainly get very easily double teamed and the game would get WAY harder despite the omni-directional blocking. We only had one controller, so we couldn't play VS mode at all, although again I doubt that would've really changed my opinion on the game.

Verdict: Not Recommended. This game is a waste of your time unless maybe you're a massive Rave Master fan. There are much better Power Stone-type games on the Gamecube that came along later in its life, and if you have a Dreamcast then Power Stone is a much better choice. Given that this came out 2 years after Power Stone 2 and the year after Smash Bros Melee, it's a pretty unimpressive entry into the vast hall of licensed/cross-over 4-player party fighters on Gamecube with its unimpressive mechanics and 13 playable characters.