dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by dsheinem Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm

final fight cd wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
final fight cd wrote:lords of thunder > all other 16-bit/8-bit shmups

FTFY

have you played both the sega cd and the turbo grafx version of L of T? if so, how do they compare?

Ah, yeah I was referring to the easily superior TG-16 version. The Sega CD version is very very good, but not quite as great.

Differences: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/06/side-by- ... ografx-cd/ and http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginefx_c ... _lor1.html

On difficulty from the first link:

Both games play almost exactly the same. The Sega CD port has some slowdown for some odd reason (quick and sloppy, remember), and it can be very annoying. Also when you get hit in the Sega CD game, you cannot control your character for nearly a second as he hovers there, paralyzed. You retain full control at all times on the Turbo. And although both versions are super easy to complete, I’d have to say that the Sega CD one is much easier. The game is super-baby-easy on the Sega CD, whereas it might take a toddler to beat the Turbo version. The Sega CD rendition provides you with many more crystals (re: money) and offers much larger bonuses at the end of the stage for some reason. Did they feel that the Turbo game was too hard? What gives? Be sure to go into the options and increase the difficulty if you plan on playing this on the Sega CD. The final stage seems to run at a quicker pace on the Sega CD, but maybe that’s just me.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 am

01/09 Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
01/15 Sonic Generations - PS3
01/25 Back to the Future The Game (all 5 episodes) - PS3
02/04 Soul Caliber - Dreamcast
02/11 Monster Tale - DS
02/23 Drill Dozer - GBA
03/05 Y's Book I - TG16 via Wii VC
04/29 Captain American and the Avengers - Arcade - MAME
05/31 Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS) NEW
06/12 Cave Story (DS) NEW
06/20 Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters (PS3) NEW

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
The game took just over 30 hours. Not a bad length for a DS game.
If you like the match 3 in a row puzzle games and Shining Force style strategy games, you need to check this game out.

Cave Story
I first heard how challenging this game was and when playing it at first I agreed. There were challenging parts of levels and on most boss fights I died a couple times, but once I got the patterns down the fights were a breeze. The challenge and throwback style of this game is why I loved it. The game may have been metroidvania like, but the challenge was reminiscent of the 16bit days. Bosses and levels took multiple tries and lives to master and that is why I loved this game.

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Every review I read of Green Lantern PS3 called it a decent "God of War" clone, I have never played God of War so I didn't know what to expect. With no expectations, I found myself playing a modern version of the classic arcade style beat'em up games similar to the TMNT or X-Men arcade games. The game has Hal Jordan fight waves of enemies before he can move to the next section of the level. The only difference between the gameplay of this game and Streets of Rage, other than it's 3D, was that weapons could be purchased and upgraded. Also like the great old arcade games of the past, a second player could jump in an join the fun at any time.
I liked the Metroidvania style of the DS and Wii version of this game, but I really enjoyed the classic beat'em up style of the PS3 game. Maybe I will have to check out God of War next.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 am

final fight cd wrote:lords of thunder is a great game, but it is pretty easy. on default settings i think i died only once, which was on my first play through in probably close to 2 years. i think i may be partial to keio because out of the four sega cd shmups i've beaten so far i've spent the most time with that one.

have you played both the sega cd and the turbo grafx version of L of T? if so, how do they compare?

The close proximity for highest damage thing in LoT really messes with me. I have such a hard time with that game because of it, but I haven't ever really invested much time into it. Gates of Thunder seems like it would be a lot more up my alley. Anyone played it?

Incidentally I love Keio. Tough as nails, though. Speaking of Sega CD shmups, Dennin Aleste is pretty great. I don't quite know if it's a direct sequel to M.U.S.H.A., but it's in the same family of games.
Reverend
Next-Gen

by Reverend Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Well, I just finished Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. The story was fantastic! It really makes me sad that this didn't sell as well as Capcom wanted. It would be great to see more games like this.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Reverend wrote:Well, I just finished Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. The story was fantastic! It really makes me sad that this didn't sell as well as Capcom wanted. It would be great to see more games like this.

This was one of my favourite games of last year, one of my favourite games on DS, and perhaps even rates in my top games of all time list, although time will tell.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (DLC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)
3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)
3/5 Puzzle Agent 2 (PC)
3/5 Rochard (PC)
3/31 Journey (PS3)
4/6 Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4/24 Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
5/6 Mass Effect 2 (360)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Overlord (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Arrival (DLC)
5/16 Rayman Origins (PSV)
5/28 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PSV)
5/31 flOw (PSP)
6/3 flower (PS3)

Games Beaten = 19
DLC = 6

6/10 TRAUMA (PC)
This is kind of an odd "game." I guess it is kind of like Myst and with an element of Black & White thrown in. I liked it I guess, I only paid like $1. I'm just not sure it's a game. Pretty odd. Seems to be right up JT's alley. :lol:

6/24 Mass Effect 3 (360)
So I wrote a couple of my thoughts here: viewtopic.php?p=632432#p632432, which is a spoiler. ME3 is my favorite game of the trilogy. Great story, voice acting, and a good conclusion to the storyline. I'm a little disappointed I didn't realize the From Ashes DLC was so pivotal, too late now. :( I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the Expanded ending!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Stark wrote:
6/10 TRAUMA (PC)
This is kind of an odd "game." I guess it is kind of like Myst and with an element of Black & White thrown in. I liked it I guess, I only paid like $1. I'm just not sure it's a game. Pretty odd. Seems to be right up JT's alley. :lol:

Actually, I even kind of know the guy who made it from posting on the same blog (Experience Points). :lol: I played it a little during the beta testing phase, but I still need to complete the main game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast (January 9)
Golden Axe Warrior -- Sega Master System (January 19)
Ys I -- Turbo CD (March 22)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -- Dreamcast (April 30)
Warioware Twisted - Game Boy Advance (May 30)
Wolfenstein 3D - Game Boy Advance (May 31)
Warioware Inc. - Game Boy Advance (June 15)
*NEW* The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Game Boy Advance (June 25)

I've played and beaten the SNES game a long time ago, but it was neat to try the GBA port with its many tiny additions, redesigns, and the re-written story. Made it somewhat fresher.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

- Fallout 3 (PC)
- Thief Gold (PC)
- Mass Effect 3 (360)
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
- Diablo 3 (PC)
- Crysis (360)
- Demon's Souls (PS3)

This is it. The action game I've been craving since the PS2 era (when stuff like this was more rampant and awesome). This game immediately bitch slaps you and takes numerous dumps on your face before you can even get up, but if you can stick it out, it suddenly becomes perfection.

Amazing everything. No hand holding. No QTE's. No lame point A to point B level design. I miss games like this that test your patience but give you that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment with each step of advancement you make in the game. The game design in general felt really old school and simplistic, but still with a ton of mileage (and I'll be diving into some NG+ action as well). Excellence.

Don't think I have any real complaints. I wish it were longer? Wish there was more music but oh well. Everytime I died was pretty much my own fault. So unlike other games out there where I've died simply because of bad design and balance, it was just different here.

Better late than never, heh. I don't think I've been this excited to play a successor/sequel (Dark Souls) in ages. I wanna hold off for a little bit so I can play some NG+ here and finish some other stuff... but... [orders Dark Souls]... yeaaaaaaaaaaah. Whoops.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

J T wrote:
Stark wrote:
6/10 TRAUMA (PC)

Actually, I even kind of know the guy who made it from posting on the same blog (Experience Points). :lol: I played it a little during the beta testing phase, but I still need to complete the main game.

That's cool, well you should definitely finish it, only took me about 1.5 hours.

Xeogred wrote:- Demon's Souls (PS3)
Don't think I have any real complaints. I wish it were longer? Wish there was more music but oh well. Everytime I died was pretty much my own fault. So unlike other games out there where I've died simply because of bad design and balance, it was just different here.

I agree this game is quite good. I wish it had a bit more of a story, but oh well.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to General Gaming