Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Dear Esther
Deus Ex Human Revolution + Missing link
Jamestown
Shank
Sonic Generations

Fun game. Last boss was shit though and the game doesn't have near the replayability of the other games. Definitely didn't feel my money was wasted though, even if it was only about 4 hours.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am

geozeldadude wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare 8/10
2. Sonic Generations - PS3 9/10
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS 7/10
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare 5/10
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare 8/10
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop 5/10
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3 8/10

DodoGo! - DSiWare *new* 9.5/10

This game is an excellent, Lemmings style puzzle game.

nice review. i've been meaning to check that out. have you played toki tori yet? it's another great lolo-esque puzzle game.

Interesting, I think I'm going to check that out sometime
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrNash
32-bit

by MrNash Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:21 am

I'll toss Asura's Wrath onto the list of games I've completed this year.
Flake

by Flake Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 am

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)
1/17 Psycho Soldier (PSN)
1/22 Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade (PC)
1/28 Police 911 2 (Arcade)
2/7 Soul Calibur V (PS3)
2/26 Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition (PS3)

Sons of Liberty on the PS2 used to be one of my favorite games of all time. I still like it quite a bit but I think that maybe it is aging poorly. Metal Gear Solid 3 outshines it in every possible way. I kept finding myself trying to do things that you can do in Snake Eater or Peace Walker but do not work here. This led to many, many deaths. Still, operator error aside, MGS2 is a pretty fluid game. Those five minutes here and there between cutscenes, where you actually get to play are pretty fun.

I used to enjoy the story for the extreme cheese but for some reason I came away from this play through with just one thought: Hideo Kojima is probably one of the worst story tellers in the history of story telling. The man can make a great action game but he really, really needs to get an editor.

As for the HD edition for the game, I have to say that I really did not notice that it was upgraded or anything. The models and textures were all the same, just less jaggy. Of greater interest to me is how they removed certain parts like the codes you could put online to compare your performance in the game with other players.

Still, a fun game. Woot for being able to skip cutscenes.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 am

MrNash wrote:I'll toss Asura's Wrath onto the list of games I've completed this year.

Thoughts? Sounds a bit hit or miss and kind of crept under the radar...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend- Vita *new*
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita *new*

TOTAL: 15

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

My first beaten Vita games! As always with fighters, I count them as beaten when I get through Arcade mode on the default setting, so nothing really special in terms of accomplishment here. I've gone through with several players in each game. I will be posting a fuller review of BlazBlu on another site at some point later this week, but suffice to say it is the better of the two games. It works better with the D-pad, it looks prettier on the OLED, and it is silky smooth. The battles get intense, and the last boss is almost-SNK difficult at first (until you are forced to really learn your character more, anyway). UMvC3 is an excellent game in its own right and pretty much identical to the PS3 version from all I can tell (since I own both). I anticipate playing both for quite a long time.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which I expect to put up here soon. I also need to play the last Mass Effect 2 DLC (The Arrival) sometime before March 6th :)
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1/12) PC
Mirror's Edge (1/18) PC
Medal of Honor [2010] (1/23) PC
Puzzle Agent 2 (2/2) PC
Dinner Date (2/15) PC
NyxQuest (2/19) PC
Dear Esther (2/20) PC
The Stanley Parable (2/21) PC
To The Moon (2/26) PC

Wow, this game is beautiful.

Looking at my games beaten list so far, this has been a month full of videogames without gameplay for me. Dinner Date is how NOT to do it. Dear Esther, The Stanley Parable, and To The Moon are examples of how to do it and do it well. None of these games take advantage of interactivity to any large degree, which is the most important aspect of videogames, so I didn't expect to much like any of them because I would have expected to leave the games feeling that they would have been better off as movies or books. I don't feel that way about any of them surprisingly (though I only say that about Dinner Date because it couldn't be saved even if you did change to a different medium).

To The Moon is a beautiful story told through 16-bit RPG graphics and melodic music. It has a tiny bit of puzzle solving and collecting gameplay, but your are mostly just clicking forward through the story. The reason I think it is still best told through the videogame medium though is because its simple sweetness and sentimental nostalgia are largely elicited by using RPG graphics, music, and rudimentary text interactions. It is light hearted, beautiful, and child like, so even though there is very little "game", the 16-bit RPG environment through which the story is told adds to the story's overall charmingness.

And I loved the story. It was a beautiful story and beautifully told. Few other games have ever pulled on my heartstrings so deftly. By the ending, I was just in tears. Really a wonderful storyline. I don't want to spoil anything, but you can read about the basic premise of the game in my other thread about it.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 am

Gamerforlife wrote:
geozeldadude wrote:nice review. i've been meaning to check that out. have you played toki tori yet? it's another great lolo-esque puzzle game.

For what it's worth, I think the GBC version has been confirmed for European 3DS virtual console recently, so If you'd rather play a portable version of it you could get that instead of one of the other versions. Just thought I'd throw that out there as you're playing a lot of portable stuff lately. Anyhow:

Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Professor Layton & The Spectre's Call DS
Trip World 3DS VC
Streetpass Quest II 3DS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 301: The Penal Zone PC
Kirby's Fun Pak VC
Golden Axe Warrior SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak PC
Ax Battler: The Legend of Golden Axe Game Gear
Gitaroo Man Lives! PSP
Panzer Dragoon Saga Demo Saturn
Asterix SMS
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 303: They Stole Max's Brain! PC
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure DS
Picross DS DS
Half Minute Hero PSP
Soul Calibur Dreamcast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations DS
StarTropics VC
Faselei! NGPC
Ninja Commando VC
Wario Land II Game Boy
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls PC
Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Wii
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 305: The City That Dares Not Sleep PC
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut GC *NEW*
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias WiiWare *NEW*
Total: 27

Sonic Adventure DX was a game that wasn't as bad as I remember, but a port that was just as bad as I remember. I beat the game as sonic, and whilst most of the levels were forgettable, one or two were really enjoyable, such as Windy Ruins and Speed Highway. There were no stages that I found to be really horrible like the last couple of stages in Sonic Adventure 2. If anything, the game was way too easy. The port to gamecube however, was terrible. The game runs very choppily at quite a low framerate, especially in cutscenes. There were several times I encountered glitches too. The other characters play modes are nothing special. Tails' race mode is pretty decent, but Knuckles mode is boring, E-102s is monotonous, Amy's is frustrating, and Big the Cat's is just plain broken - you die if your rod breaks? You can collect rings, but it just stops you being killed by badniks above ground, who you'll basically never go near anyway. What a stupid mode, what an awful character. One last thing I did like about the game was Dr. Robotnik introducing himself as Dr. Robotnik. I miss that name.

Lostwinds: Winter of the Melodias was a nice little sequel to the original Lostwinds on Wiiware. I found the game world much less confusing to navigate this time, thanks to a helpful minimap, and more guidance of where to go. The wind mechanics are still quite fun, but using gusts of wind to jump is still frustrating and picky. The game would be quite improved with a jump button - there's even a spare button that could be used for it on the nunchuk! The puzzles were still fun, but they kinda felt a lot of the same from the first game - if they do a third, I' like them to switch some things up a bit. The game was short, at about 3 and a half hours, but it was fairly enjoyable during that time. The overarching story between the games hasn't moved on at all though, and I have a sneaking suspicion we're never going to see a real conclusion to the series. Overall, fun enough, and an improvement on the first game. Worth playing, but I still think neither of these games is a must own on WiiWare like people say.
Last edited by alienjesus on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
geozeldadude wrote:nice review. i've been meaning to check that out. have you played toki tori yet? it's another great lolo-esque puzzle game.

For what it's worth, I think the GBC version has been confirmed for European 3DS virtual console recently, so If you'd rather play a portable version of it you could get that instead of one of the other versions. Just thought I'd throw that out there as you're playing a lot of portable stuff lately,

Actually yeah, that works out rather nicely. Thanks!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)

Games Beaten = 5
DLC = 1

2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)

Hopefully everyone's played a Professor Layton game by now. The Layton games are fun, charming, and challenging. The 'story' in a Layton game is always silly and outlandish and this game doesn't disappoint in that arena. The game starts out with the Professor and his apprentice witnessing an accident at the demonstration of a time machine and they have to investigate!

Really all there is to say, is that this is more of the same. I find that to be a good thing, I love these games. The minigames are really the only thing that changes and the minigames in this one are fun. You have a sticker book where you need to complete the book to complete the mini story. And then you get a animal minigame in the parrot Sherman, where you have to guide his flight to deliver an item for someone. Lastly you get a toy car that you have to guide ala Logo (I think it was called) for Mac back in the day. Drop arrows to tell the car where to go, etc. Very fun. 4/5
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to General Gaming