Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Less then 66 days until Mass Effect 3 comes out, cant' w

by Stark Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am

I just (and by just I mean 2 days ago) beat MASS EFFECT 3!! Can't wait to read your guys reactions in this thread! 34 pages here I go.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am

the expanded ending comes out tomorrow, so this thread should get some revival.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

dsheinem wrote:the expanded ending comes out tomorrow, so this thread should get some revival.

Yep, I wanted to see the original before it was changed, so I'll play through the ending again tomorrow or Wednesday and see what's different. Or "expanded."
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 pm

So some of my thoughts. Loved the game, the story, and I even liked the ending. I chose the DESTROY option. I liked the indoctination theory that has been posed, this link of a video someone did in this thread is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck.

I played on the 360 and didn't seem to have any of the bugs mentioned by gamerforlife. I did however have a lot of disc-swapping, which was irritating. I also had some issues occasionally getting my biotic powers to hit the correct target, especially when guiding my allies' powers. They would hit the wall in front of me or the ground.

I felt that the gameplay over all though is the best in the series. The way it works ultimately felt like a refinement of the games before it. I also love the way that the missions feel more open and environmental then the previous games. With several key missions having vast landscapes with crazy stuff happening in the background. Truly epic.

EDIT: Also agree that the relationship moments with Garrus are some of the best I've experienced in a game. The sense of camaraderie is astounding. The mssion at the Citadel, finished off beautifully with the conversation you have in London. Just great stuff.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Looks like you will need to start at the assault on the C. Base to experience the extended ending: http://masseffect.bioware.com/about/extended_cut/.

So probably about an hour and a half-ish?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 pm

I probably won't even bother finishing my game again and I'll just look it up on youtube. Knowing Bioware, I doubt my character relations and all that will make much of an impact anyways so I won't be missing much.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:38 pm

ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

by ATARI800XLfan Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Xeogred wrote:http://www.computerandvideogames.com/355374/mass-effect-3-extended-cut-dlc-video-watch-every-new-ending-here/

Meh, lol.

In short, it’s better, but ultimately it’s very obvious that it should have been included in the game in the first place. Having to release something like this to go back and “fix” bad storytelling is sloppy and strange. Even if these expanded endings were brilliant in every way (they’re not), it would be hard to get back into the plot after having it on the shelf for months.

At least they did answer a few of the plot holes and added an epilogue(which should have been there in the first place). So I think the ending went from horribly written crap to decent. Goes to show what Bioware can do with a little extra time. Wonder what they could have done in the first place if EA was not the devil of publishers and forcing them to finish games in a unrealistic time and just delay it. EA needs to learn RPG's are not like sports games. We do get pissed and let them know when they rush and perfectly good series but..........................

They still suffer from the same problem as the old ones. Nearly all are identical in terms of what you’re shown. Each new cutscene is about five minutes long, though four minutes of them are the same across all three, other than the voiceover. The major function of the new endings is seemingly to fill in a few plotholes, like how your crew got to the Normandy (they were evaced after injury) or what happens after the destruction or the relays (it’s made clear they can be rebuilt) or what happens if your crew is stranded on a jungle planet (they’re shown leaving).

Personally, I’m disappointed in the content itself because deep down I always believed that Indoctrination Theory was the ace in the hole that would turn a bad ending into a brilliant one. All we got was a slightly clearer picture of the aftermath of the original ending, which is still fundamentally flawed in many ways. Yes, it was way, way better than what happened initially, but the fact that A) it took Bioware a mulligan to improve upon it and B) fan written endings remain far more compelling alternatives, I don’t think this can be called a success.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Stark wrote:Looks like you will need to start at the assault on the C. Base to experience the extended ending: http://masseffect.bioware.com/about/extended_cut/.

So probably about an hour and a half-ish?

I just played from the final save and you still do get the new endings. That's just not the full extent of what was added is all, since some plot holes get filled in before the last few minutes.

IMO, it still doesn't really "fix" the lack of influence that previous decisions have, but otherwise makes things good. Not perfect, but good. Adding the refusal choice was a nice touch. It's an even more abrupt, in some ways down ending...but it gives that "Shepard wouldn't do any of this" option, and keeps some speculation going.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Sounds to me like the endings are still shit. I'm not even going to bother downloading this crap. Not going to waste what little space I have left on my hard drive for this nonsense.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming