Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Donkey Kong Country on SNES. Such a great game, one my favorite platformers of all time and one of the small handful of games I've ever purchased at launch (yes, I had that VHS tape from Nintendo Power). I always make a point of playing through this about once a year. Took me about two and a half hours to beat, 101% completion.

I tried the Game Boy Color version afterwards and just couldn't handle how smudgy and smooshed everything looked. Put it down after about 20 minutes.

My pitifully small list of 2012 games beaten:

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution (PSP)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
Ys Book I & II (TCD)
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

I think I'll play another Dragon Quest game next. 8)
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Donkey Kong Country on SNES. Such a great game, one my favorite platformers of all time and one of the small handful of games I've ever purchased at launch (yes, I had that VHS tape from Nintendo Power)

I still have that.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:20 am

beat Hero 30 -- which is the first (and "main") mode of Half-Minute Hero (PSP). Here's the thing. I'm not sure I'd add that to my beaten list... there are actually six modes within HMH. Hero 30 is the one that people seem to consider the main game, as it's the 30-second RPG's. I loved every second of it, and intended to move on through the other modes. However the next mod, Evil Lord 30 is an RTS that I find pretty meh. I can't really see myself playing through 30 levels of this just to eventually say I beat HMH. So... I guess I'm not adding Hero 30 to my official Games Beaten list. But yeah. Great little RPG that I think every PSP owner should have in their collection.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

noiseredux wrote:beat Hero 30 -- which is the first (and "main") mode of Half-Minute Hero (PSP). Here's the thing. I'm not sure I'd add that to my beaten list... there are actually six modes within HMH. Hero 30 is the one that people seem to consider the main game, as it's the 30-second RPG's. I loved every second of it, and intended to move on through the other modes. However the next mod, Evil Lord 30 is an RTS that I find pretty meh. I can't really see myself playing through 30 levels of this just to eventually say I beat HMH. So... I guess I'm not adding Hero 30 to my official Games Beaten list. But yeah. Great little RPG that I think every PSP owner should have in their collection.

The big draw for Evil Lord 30 for me is the way the character acts, just cracks me up. It also doesn't seem to be too challenging or take too much time. I think after about an hour of gameplay on Evil Lord, I was already 45% done or around there.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 pm

noiseredux wrote:beat Hero 30 -- which is the first (and "main") mode of Half-Minute Hero (PSP). Here's the thing. I'm not sure I'd add that to my beaten list... there are actually six modes within HMH. Hero 30 is the one that people seem to consider the main game, as it's the 30-second RPG's. I loved every second of it, and intended to move on through the other modes. However the next mod, Evil Lord 30 is an RTS that I find pretty meh. I can't really see myself playing through 30 levels of this just to eventually say I beat HMH. So... I guess I'm not adding Hero 30 to my official Games Beaten list. But yeah. Great little RPG that I think every PSP owner should have in their collection.

I would call the 5th play mode a true beat for the game, it ties the first 4 together. The 6th is more of a bonus.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm

rating scale: two thumbs up = highly recommended, one thumb up = good not great, thumbs down = avoid

- virtua fighter remix (sat) -- thumbs down
- nintendogs + cats (3DS) -- one thumb up
- just dance 2 (wii) -- one thumb up
- professor layton and the curious village (DS) -- one thumb up
- photo dojo (DSiware) -- one thumb up
- rhythm heaven fever (wii) -- one thumb up
- NEW nyxquest (PC) -- one thumb up
- NEW metroid prime 3: corruption (wii) -- one thumb up
- NEW metroid prime pinball (DS) -- one thumb up

nyxquest: nice style, but not a particularly interesting platformer and quite repetitive. felt like the wii version would've been more fun (i.e. easier to control) than the PC version that i played.

metroid prime 3: corruption: great controls but didn't feel significantly different to the previous two entries other than being a lot easier. really hope retro can work their magic on another entry in the series but outside of the prime trilogy.

metroid prime pinball: fun, but the balance is off since only one of the tables was excellent and the rest felt bare in comparison. makes good use of the metroid prime assets though.

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEATEN ALL THE GAMES IN THE METROID SERIES! WHOO! will be posting my ranking of the series before too long, but the top 3 shouldn't be too hard to guess.

i also have to give a shout-out to the DSi camera app. i spent a surprising number of stupid hours taking pictures of me making stupid faces. a lot of great ideas packed into a built-in title.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360
Gears of War 3 - 360
The Darkness II - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Shank - PC
Gears of War 2: Road to Ruin DLC - 360
Batman: Arkham City - 360
Batman: Arkham City: Catwoman Bundle Pack DLC - 360
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - PSP

Total for 2012: 19

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - PSP
I thought the game was pretty average, the last few hours and the ending especially, make the entire game worth playing.

Even though you know how it is going to end, I still found the end really powerful and a great bit of a storytelling.
Gromkyo
8-bit

by Gromkyo Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm just going from memory, but I'm pretty sure most of these are from 2012. Since I actually have money now, I've been catching up on missed games, and I still have quite a few that I haven't gotten around to playing/beating yet because of work and college

-All Half life games up to Half Life 2 episode one
-Goemon's great adventure. (I've had this game forever, but I've just now bought the Memory thing for the N64)
-Super Mario 3D land
-Touch My Katamari
-Super Mario World (Though I'm not really sure how many times I've beaten it before. :P)
-Donkey Kong Country 3
-Resident Evil 1 (Both characters)
-Resident Evil 2 (Both characters)
-Magaman Legends
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 am

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP
Journey - PS3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Street Fighter X Tekken - PS3
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Mass Effect 3: From Ashes - 360
Mystic Warriors - Wrath of the Ninja - Arcade (MAME) *new*
Dragon Blaze - Arcade (MAME) *new*

TOTAL: 25

I posted just a blurb about Mystic Warriors here and about Dragon Blaze in the shmup of the month club thread here. I credit fed through both after getting to a point where I could get "reasonably" far on the first coin, but like most arcade games, these were made to be moneymakers-- so I have no qualms putting them here without a 1cc. Both are excellent representatives of their genre and beat-em-up and shmup fans shouldn't pass up the chance to play either.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:33 pm

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)
3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)
3/5 Puzzle Agent 2 (PC)
3/5 Rochard (PC)

Games Beaten = 10
DLC = 1

3/31 Journey (PS3)

Not even sure where to begin with this game, but I will start with awesome. In the original definition of the word though, awe inspiring. I've never been so entranced with a game before and everything about it is pitch perfect. The score, the visuals, the forced multiplayer, everything. This is the best $15 of video-gaming money I have ever spent. Gush.

This is one of those games, where I will be genuinely sad when the online aspect no longer works. It won't be the same game any more.
Return to General Gaming