1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51-100
51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *
67. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) *
68. Dracula Densetsu II (GB)
69. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) *
70. Super Mario's Picross (SFC)
71. Castlevania (Famicom)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
74. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
75. Castlevania III (Famicom)
76. Super Castlevania IV (SFC) *
77. Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
78. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
81. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
82. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
87. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3)
88. Gain Ground (Genesis)
89. Bonanza Bros. (Genesis)
90. Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
91. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
92. Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2)
93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
94. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
95. Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)
96. Pushmo World (Wii U)
97. Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
98. Stretchmo (3DS)
99. Saru Getchu: Million Monkeys (PS2)
100. Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3)

101. Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku (N64)
102. Breath of Fire (SFC)
103. Blasphemous (Switch)
104. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (PC)

105. Kero Blaster (PC)

I might not talk about it THAT much, but I try not to make any secret of it that Cave Story, like La-Mulana, is a game very near and dear to my heart. So then, why in that case did it take me SIX YEARS to play the only other game by the maker of Cave Story since that game? Who's to say :b. But point is, I finally sat down and did it XD. It took me around 2 or 3 hours to beat the game on my PC using a game pad on normal mode.

Like Cave Story before it, Kero Blaster is a game with a cute pixel art style that drops you in media res into an odd and colorful world. You play the role of Frog (presumably) in Cat & Frog corp, which is some kind of disposal company. You play the role of disposer while Cat is your boss who seems to mysteriously get sicker and more deformed as you go on more missions. Your coworkers express concern with you, but ultimately you have a job to do: cleaning up messes, and that means killing monsters! The story is a unique and odd backdrop to the story, but at least on normal mode you aren't given a ton to work on to make it mean much more than just a fun backdrop with oddball characters. This game is absolutely not trying to be Cave Story 2, and it isn't.

Though a run'n'gun, this is absolutely not an adventure game. Kero Blaster is a sort of Mega Man game that has you going through 7 levels in linear fashion. You get a new gun or passive ability after beating each boss, and you can collect money in each stage to spend at shops found at the midway point of each stage. You can upgrade your weapons at the weapon shop, and buy more health, heart containers, and extra lives at the health shop (you can also visit the health shop after a game over, which is nice). You have four guns which all fit different situations differently, and the boss design is really good. It's a very well put together action platformer, from the enemy types to the level design.

While the game might not be trying to be Cave Story 2 in terms of overall design (though I'd say it certainly matches or surpasses that in mechanical quality), the presentation has that Cave Story charm to a T. The pixel art is simply animated but very pretty looking, and the music is excellent as well. Levels all look and feel different, and hunting for secrets of extra lives and money in them is fun too.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. If you like Mega Man-style games, this is absolutely a game you can't afford to miss. While it certainly may not be to the scale of Cave Story, the shooting and platforming have been refined to an even greater degree which makes this a fantastic few hours to play through. Also, beating the game unlocks more challenge modes you can go through if you're not satisfied with your Kero Blast-ing quite yet. Totally worth picking up, especially if it's on sale.

106. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Remake) (PC)

Continuing to go through the large pile of games I have sitting among my Steam, Twitch, and Epic libraries on PC, I decided to finally play through this little gem. Originally a Sega Master System game, I played through around half of the TurboGrafx16 version of this game back on the Wii Virtual Console when I was a kid. I got stuck and couldn't progress back then, but I had really enjoyed my time with it. I figured it was high time I finally put this game to rest, and what better way to do it than with an excellent PC remake? It took me around 3 or 4 hours to beat the game on normal mode with a game pad, and I only had to look up where to go next a couple times ^^;.

Dragon's Trap is the third game in the Wonder Boy series, kinda, as it's a super confusing flow chart of confusing sequel names, but that's not important. What IS important is that the game starts out, the titular Wonder Boy (or Wonder Girl, as the remake gives you the option to choose :D ), right at the end of the adventure: The entrance to the Mako Dragon's castle! You barge in, beat up the guards, and kill the dragon easily. But as the game's title suggests, in death, the dragon has the last laugh! A blue flame emanating from his body hits you and morphs you into a disgusting lizard man! And so it is that Wonder Boy/Girl must begin their quest to return to their normal form!

Along the way, they'll battle another five dragons in their castles and gain another four monster forms as well! You'll get to be a mouse, a mer-man, a lion, and a bird! Although you can't switch between them at will (you need to visit a special transmutation hut that's hidden in certain areas of the game), each form has different special abilities that will help them get to the next area you need to go to, and they even have different specialties of what weapon they're best with. As you collect more swords, shields, and armor, it pays to check over your equipment in your inventory once you get a new form to make sure that what was previously your best equipment actually still is ^^;. But you have super deep pockets, so thankfully you never need to go and re-buy any equipment. All you gotta do is just swap the toggle in your inventory.

The actual gameplay of Dragon's Trap is more like a 2D Zelda, but without the overworld sections of something like Zelda 2 on the NES. The entire world exists along a 2D plane, and you go through it via scrolling left and right, falling down, flying up, and going through doors to access new areas, dungeons, and shops. The dungeons and bosses are challenging but fair, and even though your attack range is short, it never feels like you're underequipped for the job at hand. Each form controls differently enough that you'll likely develop a favorite among them, but not so different that it's like leaning a whole new game. The controls are great and there are secret weapon shops and heart containers scattered all over the world for you to find. The only real issue with the game design is that, in grand retro adventure game fashion, the signposting can be a bit rough in places, and having a playthrough up on YouTube to reference when you need to will likely ease the frustration of wandering around forever ad nauseum X3

You can jump and swing your sword in front of you, and you can even use special consumable weapons you find along the way if the opportunity calls for it, but that's pretty much it. Even though this is a remake, it's also just as much of a port as it is a remake. It's even running along such similar lines that you can press the trigger buttons on the controller to toggle between the old 8-bit graphics and music respectively whenever you want!

But although even though that retro goodness is cool (and in some places makes the environments a little easier to see hidden blocks in because it's not hidden by the foreground anymore), the remake takes the old graphics and music and cranks them up to 11. The new orchestrated soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, and basically every track in the whole game is a real banger. The new art assets are beautifully hand-drawn (or at least styled that way) and have really pretty and fluid animations. However, I think the real star of the show is the music, as this game has some of my favorite music I've heard in a game all year.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. To paraphrase my friend AJ, Dragon's Trap is at the same time the best game on the Master System but also totally not worth playing on it due to superior ports, and this is definitely the best of those ports. It may be an adventure game that's over 30 years old at this point, but it holds up fantastically well. It's certainly a bit short, but if you like action adventure games at all then this is a fantastic time to be had that won't have you pulling your hair out at the difficulty despite its age. Not many games this old can feel so new with only a fresh coat of paint, but Dragon's Trap is absolutely a game capable of that feat.

107. Titan Souls (PC)

Another game from my PC game pile, Titan Souls is a game I heard about ages ago, got free on Twitch Prime fewer ages ago, and then finally decided to play yesterday. I knew it was a tougher game, but I really didn't expect it to be so short, as I finished it in just a little under two hours. It's another PC game you'll absolutely want a controller to play (I used my Xbox One controller), and despite its length it still manages to be a worthwhile investment. I played it on normal mode and killed 17 of the bosses (which I thiiink is all but one of them, but I couldn't find the last one ^^;).

Titan Souls is a game that clearly has some fairly strong inspirations from games like Shadow of the Colossus. You play a little person with only a bow and arrow, and you're in a mysterious land to fight and kill Titans and take their souls. Why are you doing this? It's quite unclear, but the point is that you're here to fight these giant monsters. This is another game that drops you in media res but gives you very scant context even up to the final confrontation, and it's a game that largely leaves you to your own conclusions about whether this quest was justifiable or worth it. Like in Shadow of the Colossus, these large beasts are just minding their own business until you come along to kill them, and unlike in even that game, you don't even have a person you're obviously trying to save. The only things in this land are you and the Titans, so you'll have plenty of time to ponder the nature of your quest as you wander from dwelling to dwelling of where they call home. If you REALLY wanna know a little more of what's going on (and fight an extra secret boss), you'll need to play the game several times on harder difficulties (which I did not do because the normal game was hard enough for me ^^;).

Titan Souls is a fairly difficult top-down, Zelda-like combat game where it's not just one hit kills on you, but it's also one hit kills on the bosses as well. Granted, they'll likely have a much easier time killing you than you will killing them, but that element of "just gotta land THE hit" makes it feel almost more like a puzzle game than an action/adventure game. The bosses are quick and tough, but they have patterns you can learn with enough patience. Heck, there were a couple I even managed to beat on my first try. They're not unbeatably hard (at least not on normal mode), but they provide a really nice challenge.

The method you have to beat them is with your bow and arrow, but you only have the one arrow. But that's not a problem, since not only can you pick the arrow back up when you miss a shot, but you can also hold a button to have it return to you. However, to draw back your arrow also means to stand still, which can quite understandably be a death sentence if you aren't careful about when you do it. But even upon returning to you, your arrow is still a weapons, and skillfully drawing it back towards you at the right time can be the key to defeating certain bosses who'd rather have their weak point facing away from you. You can also do a dodge roll and run, but other than that this is a fairly simple game mechanically that will have you needing to get quite good at those mechanics if you're going to see its conclusion.

The presentation is fairly melancholic in how quiet the world is. The music for the boss fights is fairly pumping, but the non-boss rooms have either fairly subdued music or no music at all. All the better to leave you alone with your thoughts with. The pixel art graphics style is nothing super unique, but it's all very well animated and the bosses all look cool. It's clean and crisp and there's very little danger of ever losing where you or the boss are on the screen due to how frantic things can get, which is an excellent quality for tough combat games to have (yet so many of them seem not to have regardless XP).

Verdict: Recommended. I think the asking price for the game might be a bit much for some people, but especially if you plan to do the harder modes, this game has more than enough content to justify the asking price. It's a cleverly crafted little action/puzzle game that is very satisfying to fight bosses in, and if you're looking for a challenge to go through over a weekend then this can be just the ticket.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2020

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:cool game ack

Seriously, you'll love it, it's great.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC
43. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
44. Halo 3 - PC
45. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4
46. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Aftermath - PC
47. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Switch
48. Carrion - Switch
49. Ninja Gaiden - NES
50. Earthworm Jim - Genesis

51. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Switch
52. Star Control Origins: Earth Rising - PC
53. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX - Switch
54. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - PC
55. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - PS3
56. Silicon Zeroes - PC
57. Warcraft - PC
58. Serious Sam 3: BFE - PC
59. Wasteland 3 - PC
60. Iron Harvest - PC
61. Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile - PC
62, Homeworld Remastered - PC
63. Homeworld 2 Remastered - PC
64. Offworld Trading Company - PC
65. F-Zero - SNES
66. F-Zero X - N64
67. Gauntlet (2014) - PC
68. Gauntlet Legends - Arcade
69. Halo 3: ODST - PC
70. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4
71. Star Wars Squadrons - PC
72. Serious Sam 4 - PC
73. The Bard's Tale - PC
74. The Bard's Tale II - PC
75. The Bard's Tale III - PC
76. The Bard's Tale IV - PC
77. Outbuddies - Switch
78. Ghostrunner - PC
79. Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict - GG
80. Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES
81. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - PS5
82. Demon's Souls - PS5
83. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - PC
84. Wild Arms 5 - PS2
85. Halo 4 - PC
86. Breath of Fire 2 - SNES
87. Typing of the Dead - DC
88. Cyberpunk 2077 - PC
89. Popful Mail - Sega CD
90. Breath of Fire 3 - PSP
91. Men of Valor - PC

Men of Valor is a Vietnam game made by the same devs as Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and on what appears to be an upgraded MoH:AA engine. Vietnam games are much less common than WWII and modern games, so this serves as a nice change of pace. And although it has some balance problems at times (especially that last mission) it's overall quite fun and provides a different feeling from other games due to the little details.

The game follows around a black marine doing a tour prior to the Tet Offensive (which makes up the last few missions of the game). I point out his race because the game tosses in a little bit of the race tensions of the time. Nothing that hits you over the head, just enough to remind you that it was a thing. About the same level as in Full Metal Jacket. In fact, the game overall tries to tell a pretty balanced tale; it's not a jingoistic "America!!!" story nor is it a "the war is stupid what were we even doing?" tale. I get the sense that the devs wanted to honor the soldiers who fought, regardless of whether or not they should have been.

The first thing you'll notice compared to Medal of Honor is that you have squadmates who follow around the entire mission. They can be downed in a firefight but will get up afterwards, and their primary contribution is to let you know when there is something to shoot. They will kill an enemy here and there, but their accuracy is poor. And most infuriatingly, they sometimes just ignore an enemy running through your lines who then shoves a machine gun up your ass and melts you. The game has also adjusted the health system a bit; now when you take a hit you first start bleeding, which is a shaded area on your health bar. This will slowly drop, turning into permanent damage. Getting shot again also immediately makes the damage permanent and adds in new bleeding damage. You need to take time out to bandage yourself. You can heal permanent damage from drops off of enemies, which are quite plentiful. Which is good, because you will take a lot of damage.

The game really nails that "they're coming out of the trees" feeling. Some of that is the level design, with lots of jungle cover. And some of that is spawn points literally have them come from the trees that are the boundaries of the level. For the most part it's fine, but sometimes they'll have staggered spawns that if you aren't prepared will catch you as you move up with them flanking your ass hard.

You will go through a varied set of missions; some jungle romps, some base defenses, and some urban fighting. You basically get a full tour of Vietnam and learn to hate every inch of it, as you should. The gunplay is solid; there is a quasi-aim down sights which lets you lean and improves your aim (with a dynamic reticle), and this is blocked when bandaging (so you have a risk/reward of staying aiming to take down that last enemy or going for bandaging to save yourself.

The game is checkpoint based, with no manual saves. In general these are well placed, but the last level notably has you go through a large section at the end without one. And there is a very obvious place they should have put one (when you move into the final sequence with a minor cutscene). And considering that final sequence has you impaired the entire way they really dropped the ball there. It turns what was a mostly fun game into an absolute kick in the nards.

Still, everything leading up to it is good, and as mentioned there aren't a lof of Vietnam games to begin with. I recommend it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

First 50:
1. Ys: The Oath in Felghana PSN Vita
2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Switch
3. Super Mario Party Switch
4. Moss PSVR
5. Paper Mario: Colour Splash Wii U
6. The Firemen SNES
7. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SFC
8. Kuukiyomi: Consider It! Switch eShop
9. Valkyria Chronicles Switch eShop
10. Illusion of Time SNES
11. Trials of Mana Switch
12. Undertale Vita
13. Rastan SMS
14. Rainbow Islands SMS
15. River City Girls Switch
16. Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch
17. Streets of Rage 4 Switch eShop
18. Dragon Warrior IV NES
19. Super Tennis SNES
20. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse Switch eShop
21. Pilotwings Switch eShop
22. Castlevania: The Adventure Switch eShop
23. Streets of Rage Game Gear
24. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix Switch eShop
25. Ninja Gaiden Game Gear
26. Psychic World Game Gear
27. The G.G. Shinobi II: The Silent Fury Game Gear
28. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble Game Gear
29. Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu SFC
30. Pokémon Sword: Isle of Armour DLC Switch
31. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter N64
32. Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse Game Gear
33. Deep Duck Trouble starring Donald Duck Game Gear
34. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch
35. Baba Is You Switch
36. Wandersong Switch
37. World of Goo Switch
38. Astro Bot Rescue Mission PSVR
39. Wario's Woods Switch eShop
40. Horizon Chase Turbo Switch
41. Old School Musical Switch
42. Sayonara Wild Hearts Switch
43. Tetris Effect PSVR
44. Amazing Penguin Game Boy
45. Super Mario Galaxy Switch
46. Shadow Warriors Game Boy
47. Sonic Advance GBA
48. Bomberman Quest GBC
49. Densetsu No Stafy GBA
50. Mole Mania Game Boy

51. James Bond 007 Game Boy
52. Rolan's Curse 2 Game Boy
53. Pokémon Omega Ruby 3DS
54. Final Fantasy VI SNES
55. Super S.W.I.V SNES
56. Axelay SNES
57. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition Switch
58. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Cindered Shadows DLC Switch
59. Florence Switch eShop *NEW*
60. Framed Switch eShop *NEW*
61. Framed 2 Switch eShop *NEW*
62. A Short Hike Switch eShop *NEW*
63. Part Time UFO Switch eShop *NEW*
64. Crypt of the Necrodancer: Nintendo Switch Edition Switch eShop *NEW*

Florence

Florence is an interesting looking game I picked up on the eShop sale. It’s a mobile port which follows the tales of Florence, an accountant as she finds love. The game is a story driven game told without words, which is interesting. It mostly makes use of visual illustration and some very light interaction to tell the story. The interaction is very basic – it’s hard to call this a ‘game’ really, it’s more of an art piece, but some of the use of interaction is interesting at least. I enjoyed the back and forth where you must build a speech bubble as a jigsaw and it gets easier as you progress and the characters become more comfortable talking to each other – only for it to get all to easy later during an argument, where both characters are building speech bubbles at the same time, shouting over each other. Florence is a very short experience, only about 20-30 minutes long, and I’d be hard pressed to recommend it to be honest – but it’s not an experience I regret having per se. Just one that didn’t evoke or enthuse me enough to give a glowing recommendation either.

Framed

Framed is another game I picked up on the recent eShop sale, and is another mobile port. Both it and it’s sequel were ported to Switch under the title Framed Collection. Framed is a story driven puzzle game where you play as a spy or thief of some kind and must help him escape the police who are after him. The story takes place over several comic book panels, but the puzzle comes into play during sequences where the panels end up with him being killed or caught. By swapping the order of the panels you can change the order of events. The game is quite robust with scenarios for every order of events, although many of the puzzles are simple ‘go this way then this way’ puzzles rather than in depth stories. Early on you can just swap tiles, but later they add panels that can be rotated 90 degrees to change how you interact with the consoles, and tiles that can still be swapped mid action – allowing you to use them multiple times as things change in them after the first pass through. The story of Framed is admittedly very hard to follow, but the gameplay is a fun way to spend an hour. I wouldn’t buy the collection at full price, but on sale it’s a worthy purchase.

Framed 2

And here’s the second title in the Framed Collection. Framed 2 is a prequel, starring a new character but featuring some other characters from the first. In this game your character is framed (hah!) for murder and must escape the police in a similar manner to the first. In addition he soon adopts a young girl who accompanies him, and often the challenge involves making them both get through in different directions but manage to escape. There’s not really any new mechanics from the first one, but it throws the later mechanics from game 1 at you right away, and the puzzles make better use of the mechanics. They also are a little tougher but never too hard. Framed 2 has a much easier to understand story too. Of the 2 games, this one is superior but I’d recommend playing the first game before it as it gives more context to both the story and mechanics. This is again only about 60-90 minutes long, but I had a good time playing through it.

A Short Hike

Another eShop purchase, A Short Hike was a real surprise to me. You play as Claire, a young bird girl who is staying with her ranger Aunt on an island where there is a local mountain. Claire is waiting for a phone call but there’s no reception except on the peak, so off she sets on ‘a short hike’ to the top. And I’ll say it right now – I loved this game. It’s a hard game to describe, but I’d say it made me think of Chibi-Robo in gameplay in how you run around helping people out and finding new tools to use, but with Breath of the Wild navigation - you can glide, swim and climb walls, so you can basically go anywhere you like – you even upgrade stamina as you go and complete sidequests. This is all run through an Animal Crossing atmosphere, with cute animal characters and a chilled out vibe. Then take all this influence, and squeeze it into a game that looks like it should be running on a Nintendo DS, with low poly models and big chunky pixels, and this is a game that is basically made for me. And I loved it enough to do everything – a tasks that takes about 5 hours or so maybe, although going straight for the mountain top should take 1-2 hours if you’re focused. I feel like going straight to the top is to miss the point though – this is a game focused on going off the main track and seeing what you can find, and I loved experiencing it. At it’s low price point, this game really is a must play.

Part Time UFO

Another eshop title, another mobile port. This one has a high calibre studio behind it though, as it’s by HAL Labs, and you can feel the quality. You play as a little UFO who arrives on Earth and starts looking for work. You fly around picking up objects with a claw. You can then fly these into place and release, although the weight of the item will affect your flying ability, and the momentum of the ship will cause it to swing back and forth making positioning a bit tricky too. You make use of these abilities on various jobs, ranging from things like picking turnips, fishing, reconstructing museum artifacts and helping cheerleaders form a human pyramid. Each stage has bonus challenges to achieve which are often more challenging such as stacking all objects, beating the level within a time limit and more. You earn money for your jobs which can be used to buy costumes which have visual effects and sometimes minor tweaks to the physics. Overall, this is a fairly fun game, although I found a few of the levels more frustrating than fun – especially the museum stages. However, this is totally worth picking up and I recommend giving it a go.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: Nintendo Switch Edition

So for my birthday, I was given Cadence of Hyrule as a gift. I’m looking forward to playing it, but I’d previously picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer on sale last year, and I’d never even managed to beat stage 1 – so I figured it might be worth me practicing a bit and improving my skill at the mechanics before diving into Cadence. Crypt of the Necrodancer is ostensibly a rhythm roguelike, featuring classic roguelike mechanics of randomised enemy and stage layouts, and random items to obtain, but with movement limited to moving on the beat of the music. You can find diamonds when exploring which can be spent to buy new weapons or magic which can be found randomly, or eventually to buy items to take into your next run. The game is pretty fun, but the rhythm mechanic ultimately is fairly inconsequential as far as actual rhythm goes – the main effect it has is to force you to plan QUICKLY, as unlike most roguelikes, where enemies only move when you do, if you don’t move on the next beat, enemies still will, forcing you to strategise, react and move quickly. The game is difficult, but not too crazy, with multiple levels to beat. Stage 1 isn’t too bad, and stage 2 is fairly manageable, but stage 3 is very hard and stage 4 is very tough. Each stage needs some luck as well as some skill for your average player (like me!). Overall I think I had a good time with Necrodancer, despite not being a big roguelike fan. I look forward to Cadence.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games beaten
1. Ys: The Oath in Felghana PSN Vita
2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Switch
3. Super Mario Party Switch
4. Moss PSVR
5. Paper Mario: Colour Splash Wii U
6. The Firemen SNES
7. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SFC
8. Kuukiyomi: Consider It! Switch eShop
9. Valkyria Chronicles Switch eShop
10. Illusion of Time SNES
11. Trials of Mana Switch
12. Undertale Vita
13. Rastan SMS
14. Rainbow Islands SMS
15. River City Girls Switch
16. Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch
17. Streets of Rage 4 Switch eShop
18. Dragon Warrior IV NES
19. Super Tennis SNES
20. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse Switch eShop
21. Pilotwings Switch eShop
22. Castlevania: The Adventure Switch eShop
23. Streets of Rage Game Gear
24. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix Switch eShop
25. Ninja Gaiden Game Gear
26. Psychic World Game Gear
27. The G.G. Shinobi II: The Silent Fury Game Gear
28. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble Game Gear
29. Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu SFC
30. Pokémon Sword: Isle of Armour DLC Switch
31. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter N64
32. Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse Game Gear
33. Deep Duck Trouble starring Donald Duck Game Gear
34. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch
35. Baba Is You Switch
36. Wandersong Switch
37. World of Goo Switch
38. Astro Bot Rescue Mission PSVR
39. Wario's Woods Switch eShop
40. Horizon Chase Turbo Switch
41. Old School Musical Switch
42. Sayonara Wild Hearts Switch
43. Tetris Effect PSVR
44. Amazing Penguin Game Boy
45. Super Mario Galaxy Switch
46. Shadow Warriors Game Boy
47. Sonic Advance GBA
48. Bomberman Quest GBC
49. Densetsu No Stafy GBA
50. Mole Mania Game Boy
51. James Bond 007 Game Boy
52. Rolan's Curse 2 Game Boy
53. Pokémon Omega Ruby 3DS
54. Final Fantasy VI SNES
55. Super S.W.I.V SNES
56. Axelay SNES
57. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition Switch
58. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Cindered Shadows DLC Switch
59. Florence Switch eShop *NEW*
60. Framed Switch eShop *NEW*
61. Framed 2 Switch eShop *NEW*
62. A Short Hike Switch eShop *NEW*
63. Part Time UFO Switch eShop *NEW*
64. Crypt of the Necrodancer: Nintendo Switch Edition Switch eShop *NEW*

It's the 31st of December and I don't see myself beating any more games this year, so it's time for fun stats and my top 10 games beaten of 2020!

First, stats (change from last year in brackets)

Games beaten: 64 (-37 from last year)

Physical vs Digital:
Physical games beaten: 46 (-46)
Digital games beaten: 16 (+7)
Digital DLC: 2

System format:(Switch counted depending whether I primarily played game on TV or handheld modes)
Home console: 19 (+0)
Handheld: 45 (-37)
PC: 0 (+0)

Games beaten by Generation:
Gen 3 (NES/SMS): 3 (+1)
Gen 4 (SNES/MD/PCE/GB/GG): 20 (+14)
Gen 5 (N64/Saturn/PS1/GBC/NGPC/WSC): 2 (-8)
Gen 6 (GC/DC/PS2/XBox/GBA): 2 (+0)
Gen 7 (Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP): 3 (-2)
Gen 8 (Wii U/PS4/3DS/Switch): 34 (-42)

Games beaten by console
Switch: 16 (-45)
Switch eShop: 14 (+5)
SNES: 8 (+7)
Game Gear: 7 (+7)
Game Boy: 5 (+0)
PSVR: 3 (+0 PS4)
GBA: 2 (+1)
Master System: 2 (+1)
Wii U: 1 (-1)
N64: 1 (-6)
NES: 1 (+0)
Vita: 1 (+1)
PSN Vita: 1 (+1)
3DS: 1 (+0)
GBC: 1 (-1)
Consoles with 0 games beaten: Wii (-2), Gamecube (+0), DS (-3), Dreamcast (-1), Saturn (+0), Mega Drive (+0), PS3 (+0), PS2 (+0), PS1 (-1), 360 (+0), Xbox (+0), PC Engine (+0), NGPC (+0), Wonderswan (+0), Virtual Boy (+0), PC (+0)

Games beaten by genre:
Platformer: 15 (+0)
RPG: 11 (+1)
Puzzle: 11 (+5)
Action Adventure: 6 (-4)
Beat 'em up: 4 (-7)
Strategy: 3 (+1)
Adventure: 2 (-2)
Arcade: 2 (-4)
Party: 2 (+0)
Rhythm: 2 (+0)
Shmup: 2 (-1)
Action: 1 (-3)
Flight Sim: 1 (+1)
FPS: 1 (+0)
Life Sim: 1 (+1)
Racing: 1 (+0)
Roguelike: 1 (-1)
Sports: 1 (+0)
Other: 1 (-9)

AJ's Top 10 Games Beaten of 2020

Honourable Mentions:

Pokémon Omega Ruby is a fantastic game which I greatly enjoyed playing through on a quest for a living pokédex - however, as it's basically the same game as Alpha Sapphire which I've played through before, I've left it off the top 10.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana was an enjoyable, fast paced RPG which I greatly enjoyed in a year where I played a lot of bigger, longer games in the genre.

Illusion of Time (better known by it's US name Illusion of Gaia) is a quirky and unique action RPG which I rather enjoyed, but it just missed the top cut.

Rather more controversially, so did Final Fantasy VI. I very much enjoyed the game, but not as much as the top 10, sorry!

10: Valkyria Chronicles
It took a while to settle into this one, but once I got the hang of it it offered a fun, if slightly poorly balanced, alternate take on turn base strategy. The story is a bit cliche and silly but it didn't stop me having fun.

9: Streets of Rage 4
Another Sega title on the list, I had high hopes for this one and they were mostly met. It's not as good as Streets of Rage 2 still, the music isn't as good, the pacing is less consistent and I don't like enemies having invincibility frames - but the setpieces are fun, the game controls wonderfully and it looks great. It's nice having Streets of Rage back.

8: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy VI didn't make my top 10, but Final Fantasy XII did. If you're going to play the game, this is the way to do it in my opinion - the fast forward feature helps with the games sometimes overly slow pace, and the job system offers a bit more variety to how you build your characters. FFXII isn't perfect, but it feels very distinctive and unique, and I liked it.

7: Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
I've never been much of a Dragon Quest fan before, so I'm as surprised as you are to see it beat out 2 Final Fantasy games on my top 10 of the year, but Dragon Quest XI is just such a well made, charming title, and I enjoyed the 60+ hours I put into it. The characters are loveable and the story, whilst very predictable, is charming in a childrens movie kind of way. I had a good time with this one - and next year I plan to sit down and get the true ending, after a much needed break.

6: Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu
Neither Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest is the highest RPG on my list though, with Fire Emblem 4 taking that crown. It took me a long time to beat (over a year) and it's an experience rife with flaws in my eyes - yet despite that it's also full of great ideas, interesting concepts and the same compelling Fire Emblem gameplay. I wouldnt rate it as my favourite in the series, but I enjoyed this one a lot.

5: Baba Is You
Baba Is You is a puzzle game where you rewrite the rules, and at it's best it's a mind bending game that makes you feel like a genius. The game milks every mechanic it can think of out of it's logic system, and so many times I figured I'd outwitted the game only to realise that was the intended solution all along. It gets a wee bit too hard in the latter half, and there's sometimes a little too much sokoban for my liking - but the experience as a whole is fantastic, especially when you start breaking the fundamental game structure later on.

4: Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
I was lucky enough to get a PSVR for my birthday last year, and I immediately set about picking up games to play on it. The one game at the top of every lsit of recommendations though, was this one. Having played it, I see why. It's a level based platformer, akin to Mario 3D World maybe, but the ability to look around the environments to find secrets or to keep an eye on Astro Bot really immerses you in the world. It takes an already great platformer and elevates it even further.

3: Wandersong
I'm not a big indie game player, but I'm glad I spent time with this game. It's a game about being nice to people, despite the end of the world. For some reason it resonated well with me in this, the year of 2020. Not sure why. Either way, it's a lovely story full of charming and wonderful characters and making clever use of it's core singing mechanic. It has a unique art style and a great soundtrack, and I love it.

2: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Here's another game that resonated more in 2020 - hitting just as my entire country went into lockdown, here was a game about going to a tropical island (I miss holidays...), socialising with neighbours (sometimes I miss people too) and enjoying the festivities (no crowds allowed...). And it's the game that got me back into Animal Crossing, a series I had rather tired of by adding a new crafting mechanic and an early game arc where you really develop the island. The hundreds of hours I put into the game this year should indicate how much I enjoyed it, and it would have been my number one, but for a late entry...

1: A Short Hike
A Short Hike is basically like if someone made a game just for me. It takes elements from some of my favourite games - Chibi-Robo, Animal Crossing, Zelda - and runs them through a Nintendo DS filter. It's only a few hours long but I have almost no criticism of my time with the game - nothing outstays it welcome, everything is thoroughly charming and relaxing and man, it's just great. I loved it, and recommend it highly.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Katamari Damacy Reroll for PS4. I enjoyed it
Ack

Post by Ack »

The First 50:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
41. Gato Roboto (Switch)(Action Adventure)
42. Painkiller: Overdose (PC)(FPS)

43. Battle Realms (PC)(RTS)
44. Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf (PC)(RTS)
45. Terminator: Resistance (PC)(FPS)
46. Picross S (Switch)(Puzzle)
47. The Witcher 3 (PC)(RPG)
48. Dragon Quest (Switch)(RPG)

49. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)(Adventure)
50. Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)(Platformer)

51. Kid Dracula (Switch)(Platformer)
52. Castlevania (Switch)(Platformer)
53. Akumajō Dracula (Switch)(Platformer)

54. Akumajō Dracula [Castlevania IV](Switch)(Platformer)
55. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (PC)(RPG)
56. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Switch)(Platformer)

57. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Switch)(Platformer)
58. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC)(RPG)

59. The Darkness II (PC)(FPS)
60. MOTHERGUNSHIP (PC)(FPS)
61. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - SNK Version (NGPC)(Card Game)

62. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)(RPG)
63. STRAFE (PC)(FPS)
64. Shadow Warrior [2013] (PC)(FPS)
65. Shanghai Mini (NGPC)(Puzzle)

66. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (PC)(RPG)
67. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (PC)(RPG)

68. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC)(RPG)
69. Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet - The Lovecraft Museum (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
70. The Mummy Demastered (Switch)(Action Adventure)

71. Just Cause 2 (PC)(Action Adventure)
72. Prey (PC)(FPS)
73. Prey: Mooncrash (PC)(FPS)
74. The Signal From Tölva (PC)(FPS)

75. Death Rally (PC)(Racing)
76. Bastion (PC)(RPG)

77. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC)(RPG)
78. Ultimate DOOM (PC)(FPS)

79. DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC)(FPS)
80. DOOM II: No Rest for the Living (PC)(FPS)
81. DOOM 3: The Lost Mission (PC)(FPS)
82. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (PC)(FPS)

83. DOOM 3 (PC)(FPS)
84. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)(RPG)
85. DOOM: SIGIL (PC)(FPS)
86. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Dragonborn (PC)(RPG)
87. Final DOOM - TNT: Evilution (PC)(FPS)
88. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard (PC)(RPG)
89. Helltaker (PC)(Puzzle)
90. Elderborn (PC)(Action)

91. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC)(Adventure)
92. Spirits of Xanadu (PC)(FPS)

I first became aware of Spirits of Xanadu a few years ago as I was taking an interest in Nightdive Studio's output. While I am always looking for more indie and obscure FPS to check out, what caught my eye about this one was the setting: a spaceship adrift, overrun by killer robots, and I am one person trying to repair things and investigate what happened. The parallels to a possible System Shock 2 setting was simply too good to pass up. I bought the game on sale, let it sit for a few years, and then installed and played through it several times in the last few days.

The Xanadu is a small ship sent into deep space for scientific research. It successfully recovered some strange form of artifact, but the engine malfunctioned on its return home, so a lone operative is dispatched to repair the damage and help the crew get home. Unfortunately upon arrival, the crew is mysteriously absent, robots are running amok, power is out, and that engine? it's not damaged, it's been full on sabotaged.

Yes, going into the game, System Shock 2 does come to mind. You are sneaking around the ship, avoiding robots when possible and trying to restore systems by solving puzzles and fixing problems. The experience is short though; the first time through took me a couple of hours of investigating every nook and cranny, but after that I was able to complete runs in only a few minutes to see the alternate endings. Yeah, we have three endings here, but the devs made the decision to delete saves upon completing the game, so you'll get really good at running back through everything as fast as possible. You'll also uncover some unusual secrets, find notes and pages swiped from books, and discover some bizarre happenings which reveal what happened to the crew.

So what happened to the crew? Well...let's just say your choices for an ending involve guiding the ship back into Earth or into a nearby star. Because you may not want to bring the artifact back to Earth.

If you enjoyed the System Shock series, know that this is a poor man's version. Not because it's not good, but because it's a brief experience. I liked Spirits of Xanadu quite a bit, I just wish there was more of it to explore.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Is that part of this series??
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sadly no, there is no relation. Though it would be pretty funny.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51-100
51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *
67. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) *
68. Dracula Densetsu II (GB)
69. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) *
70. Super Mario's Picross (SFC)
71. Castlevania (Famicom)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
74. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
75. Castlevania III (Famicom)
76. Super Castlevania IV (SFC) *
77. Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
78. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
81. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
82. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
87. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3)
88. Gain Ground (Genesis)
89. Bonanza Bros. (Genesis)
90. Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
91. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
92. Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2)
93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
94. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
95. Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)
96. Pushmo World (Wii U)
97. Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
98. Stretchmo (3DS)
99. Saru Getchu: Million Monkeys (PS2)
100. Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3)

101. Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku (N64)
102. Breath of Fire (SFC)
103. Blasphemous (Switch)
104. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (PC)
105. Kero Blaster (PC)
106. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Remake) (PC)
107. Titan Souls (PC)

108. Jotun: Special Edition (PC)

Completing one last game in 2020, I picked another indie game from the PC pile that I've been meaning to get to for ages. This came out around the same time as Titan Souls did, and they have similar perspectives and gameplay styles, so I often confuse them ^^;. But now after 4 or so hours with it, I've beaten this game too, so I need not confuse them any more XD.

Jotun is the story of Thora, a viking who died a dishonorable death (i.e. not one in combat) when her boat wrecked at sea. Instead of the cold abyss she thinks awaits her, though, she wakes up in a space between worlds. The gods, impressed by her life of struggle, honor, and battle, have seen it fit to give her one more opportunity into Valhalla. If she can impress them by defeating them in battle, she will earn her place in paradise. The story is largely a stylistic thing more than anything else, as we learn a bit about Norse mythology and Thora's past, but it fits the atmosphere really well for what is, at its core, an action game.

Jotun is a fair bit like Titan Souls, in how you're a little character in a Zelda-like perspective who needs to defeat a bunch of big bosses to complete their quest, but past that the similarities are far more scant. In Jotun, your main attacks are your light and heavy attacks you have with your axe, and your main method of dodging is a dodge roll. You can also find magic to be used in charges as you explore around the different circles of the afterlife. That's right, "explore", because this game has exploration elements!

There is an intro level to the game with two relatively easy bosses in it, and then there are 8 more levels (2 per boss) with four bosses between them and then one final boss after that. The bosses are quite tough (even the first ones), and unlike Titan Souls they (and you) have health bars you'll need to deplete as they go through several battle phases. The bosses always felt like a fair challenge, and getting to one was always exciting and fun.

The levels you explore are quite different in their design, and they are often just as much about exploration to find where to go as they are solving puzzles and fighting small mobs. There's a really good diversity between the stages for what obstacles you'll face and what dangers you'll face in each stage. You can approach the 8 levels in any order you want, and can even save all four bosses until you've beaten all 8 levels. Each level has a max health increase and a new spell hidden in it somewhere, so it can be well worth saving those bosses for later if you're having trouble. The levels have mini maps that show your end goal as well as where the new spells is, but they don't show where you are on that map, so trying to judge where you are to try and find your goals as well as the hidden health increase is important to your success.

The worlds are also beautifully crafted in a hand-drawn style. The animations are wonderful as well, and the VA being all in Swedish gives it that extra flare of being taken to another world. The music is good atmospheric tone-setting as well as intense for the boss music. Finding little tidbits around the world just to see how well they're drawn and animated was one of the most fun parts about exploring~.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. Where Titan Souls felt a little lacking in content to justify its price, Jotun's exploration and strong myth-based presentation make it feel like a much more complete package. With strong level and puzzle design and great bosses, this is a fantastic indie game to spend an afternoon/evening with.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me