by prfsnl_gmr Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 pm

First 50
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)
31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
39. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch)
40. Silent Hill (PS1)
41. Tcheco in the Castle of Lucio (Switch)
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
43. Stories Untold (Switch)
44. Boxboy! + Boxgirl! (Switch)
45. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
46. Cybarian: The Time-Traveling Warrior (Switch)
47. Duck Souls+ (Switch)
48. Daggerhood (Switch)
49. Gravity Duck (Switch)
50. Biolab Wars (Switch)

51. Legends of Amberland (Switch)
52. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger from the Future (Wonderswan)
53. Double Dragon (Game Gear)
54. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
55. SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash (NGPC)
56. SUPERHOT (Switch)
57. Dogurai (Switch)
58. Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Switch)
59. Alchemist’s Castle (Switch)
60. Dear Esther (iOS)
61. Framed 2 (iOS)
62. A Noble Circle (iOS)

I’m clearing some space on my iPad by knocking out a bunch of short games.

Dear Esther is the original walking simulator, and in it, I walked across an island. I inadvertently killed myself a few times. With some practice, maybe one day, I could 1CC it...

Framed 2 is a solid puzzle game where you rearrange comic tiles to advance a cloak-and-dagger story. It doesn’t innovate much or improve much upon Framed, but that’s fine. It’s a pretty strong formula, and the puzzles can be quite challenging. I enjoyed it and recommend it.

A Noble Circle is a deeply personal story mixed with “Flatland” fan fiction and not-very-compelling gameplay. You can beat it in about 30 minutes, but you’re probably better off skipping it altogether.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:40 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)

65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)

And so comes to a close my latest journey through a Ratchet & Clank game, and it's also the last of the pre-reboot games (well, at least the big budget, physically released ones by Insomniac). I got most of the collectibles, but not quite all. This game was just so fun to play, I didn't mind hunting around for the large majority of them, and I even checked out the whole of the in-game museum~. It took me around 15 hours to beat the Japanese (mostly) version of the game.

This game picks up sorta where Tools of Destruction leaves off, but more technically where the digital exclusive Quest for Booty leaves off, with Clank kidnapped by the Zoni and Ratchet off looking for him. Clank wakes up to find the recently returned Dr. Nefarious (from the third game) attacking the Great Clock, a giant complex that keeps time and space from ripping themselves apart. Ratchet still hasn't quite found Clank, but he knows where to look, and the story hops between both of their narratives before their final reunification. The story of this game is something I would call a step down from the previous game (and if you want 2700+ words on why I think that, you can read about it here), but it's still fine on the whole, save for how this is easily the R&C with some of the most poorly aged humor (a lot of really exhaustingly unfunny "oh look at what nerds they are" non-jokes as well as easily the most casual transphobia the series has ever had XP).

Gameplay-wise, this is easily the strongest the series had ever been up to this point. The platforming action that returned in ToD is back again here, and its bolstered even more with some semi-open world spaceship flying. Actually fun spaceship flying is back once more! You can fly around a 2D plane in each system you're in, going between the major planets as well as small moons that are either platforming or combat challenges that you can do for extra goodies. You can collect lost Zonis to upgrade your ship (and you'll also need to to progress the story), and there are also a good deal of little side quests to do. These spaceship segments are good fun, and a good way to break up Ratchet's platforming and action, which are as fun as ever. There are also a bunch more very fun guns in this game too, including one which I think is my new favorite. It's basically a burp gun, and you need to time when you fire it to get the biggest possible burp (and therefore the most AOE and damage out of it).

While Ratchet does his platforming and shooty-bang-gun stuff better than ever, Clank is off exploring the Great Clock, and he actually gets a bunch of unique mechanics to do it. Clank solo segments have been in just about every R&C game that Insomniac has done, but this is easily the best they've ever been and they've never felt nearly so mechanically or narratively justified. Clank is the keeper of the Great Clock, and therefore a keeper of time, so his segments are made up of some relatively simple action segments, but also a bunch of time-based platforming puzzles. You play through two to four "recordings" of Clank to simultaneously operate parts of puzzle rooms to open the door at the opposite end. They have a really good difficulty curve to them, and never quite out stay their welcome. More straightforward action segments and platforming parts also intersperse between them to give his segments a good sense of pacing. They're not nearly as long as Ratchet's segments, but they're a great and very clever spin on what has usually been a pretty underwhelming series staple up to this point.

The presentation is a pretty mixed bag, and honestly the biggest black mark on the game. Visually and musically, the game is great. It looks really clean and pretty, and the art style is good. This is also another R&C game with a pretty solid musical score, and is much closer to the previous Future game than the original series in how good it is. The audio balancing, however, is borderline unacceptable in just how poor it is. I said at the start that I played through the "mostly" Japanese version of the game, and that's because I switched over to English audio about a third of the way through the game because I was sick of just not understanding anything. Not only is this yet ANOTHER R&C game with no subtitles for the large majority of the dialogue, but the directional audio is completely broken. Voices are often far far too quiet to hear unless the camera's perspective is directly on top of them, so Ratchet facing a character is actually one of the worst ways to hear them, paradoxically enough. Even in English, I had a consistently difficult time actually understanding what characters were saying, and it's frankly shocking how it was able to launch in this state. It's far from a deal breaker, but it makes what story is there so much more frustratingly difficult to enjoy.

Verdict: Recommended. This is a bit of a weird one to recommend because while it is VERY fun to play, the writing also falls so consistently flat. I wanna say that the writing isn't THAT bad, but I also wrote over 2700 words about how poorly done it is (and that's not even mentioning just how poorly so much of the comedy has aged), so clearly I have a pretty meaningful problem with it XD. If you're someone who can safely ignore story in games, I think this is an easy suggestion to grab as a PS3 exclusive action platformer, and even then, it's fun enough to play that I think most people who enjoy action platformers will be able to look past its faults and have a good time with it regardless.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:36 am

138. Mafat Conspiracy (nes)

It is rare that I play a nes game that is not a replay, but I was at my local game store and saw this game for 5 bucks, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Mafat conspiracy is the sequel to golgo 13(which I also never played but have heard of), when you turn the game on the title screen says "Mafat conspiracy golgo 13" but you would never know that by looking at the cart. It is interesting to see a game like golgo 13, based on a japanese anime, that sold poorly over here, get a sequel.

Like its predecessor, Mafat conspiracy is a multi-genre game. The bulk of the game consists of side scrolling shooter segments that feel very similar to rolling thunder. I like this style of shooting so I enjoyed these segments, however this game definitely places a greater emphasis on platforming, and for the most part it works really well. Later levels throw tons of stuff at you, but you have a generous life bar and unlimited continues that, except for one annoying section at the end of the game, place you right back to the start of the section, so while the levels are difficult, the game does not feel punishing.

There are also maze levels sprinkled throughout, navigating these levels without a map is quite literally impossible, but this is by design. In the games instruction manual there are maps of every maze that you are supposed to use to navigate these multi story high monstrosities. I discovered this after wandering around the first maze level for 20 minutes making absolutely no progress, a quick google search revealed the maps and then navigating these levels was much easier. After beating some of these levels you also have to backtrack through them in 5 minutes, meaning even if you did luck out making your way to the exit, you would never make it back without a map.

There are 2 driving levels, which play similar to pole position only with enemy cars that you can throw grenades at. I am pretty bad at driving games but I was able to beat these pretty easily and they were a quick fun diversion.

Levels end in boss battles that are either a beat em up style(why you cant just shoot the bosses is beyond me) or a sniper segment. The sniper levels are pretty tough, you line up the shot but the game also tells you the wind direction and speed so you cannot just aim directly at your target, you have to take into account which way the wind will push your bullet and how far it will push it. These are not too bad but you have one shot and failing these segments takes you back quite a ways. One particularly annoying part is on the second to last level there is a sniper section, leading up to it you are on a 5 minute timer where you need to backtrack through 2 mazes and 2 platforming sections, if you fail on the sniper section you have to do the whole thing over, very frustrating, but that is only one section at the end of the game, and the other sniper missions dont send you back as far.

This game also has Ninja Gaiden style cutscenes, the story did not grip me, but it was good enough for an NES game. It is basically a generic story about a shadow government trying to escalate tensions between the US and Russia.

Overall, Mafat conspiracy is an interesting game. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it is a game that everyone will enjoy, I would recommend it to people who enjoy rolling thunder and dont mind some weird gameplay tweaks in between their shooting segments.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBOX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)
13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)
14. Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
***15. Skies of Arcadia (SDC)***
16. Dragon Quest V (SNES)
17. Marvel Vs. Capcom (PS1)
***18. Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition (GEN)***
19. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (XBOX)
20. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
21. Flatout 2 (PS2)
22. Mr. Driller (SDC)
23. Blast Corps (N64)

24. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (GCN)

I beat The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the Nintendo GameCube this evening!

Growing up, the only Super Heroes I really loved were the X-Men. I did love Comic Books in my preteen years, so I knew of the Hulk and of the Avengers. But, I just loved the X-Men cartoon show, so that made me love the Comics even more. I also remember my friend having a Hulk game on the Sega Genesis that was fairly terrible. Fast forward to my college days and I remember watching X-Play talk about The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and giving it a glowing review. They called it the perfect Hulk game where all you do is destroy things throughout the game. That seemed enjoyable enough, so while walking around a local convention, I decided to pick it up while it was still rather cheap.

I can confirm that you destroy many things in Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. After like the third stage, the game gets crazy and it just gets crazier throughout the entire game. Besides boss battles, you are going against the Army at all times and they are throwing tanks, missiles, jets and helicopters at you. It is 100% pure insanity and the most amount of destruction I have ever seen in a video game. Every second, you are destroying something while getting shot at. There is an extensive move list that has to go like 60 moves deep, so if you know what you are doing, you look very impressive. For me, I stuck to standard moves and was able to do well.

I wouldn't say the story is all that exciting. You are trying to collect items to build a machine to help Bruce Banner, but in the end, it really doesn't do anything. Besides a few stages, you are mostly fighting the same army enemies throughout the entire game. Also, some of these levels are insanely hard and can get very frustrating. I only won some because of dumb luck, but I had to do missions several times just to beat it. And because the game is so insane, you feel exhausted and spent when you do complete a mission.

Overall, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is a game that relieved stress, but also caused some as well. It is the most intense and action filled game I have ever played in my life. I felt drained after each mission, but I keep wanted to go back. There is something enjoyable about throwing tanks at helicopters, jumping entire city blocks and destroying an entire army chasing you. If you love intense action, this game is for you!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:05 am

Sweet review, Markies. I’ve always been curious about that game, and I really should play it.

First 60
1. Her Story (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
29. Contra (Arcade)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
40. Silent Hill (PS1)
45. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
47. Duck Souls+ (Switch)
48. Daggerhood (Switch)
50. Biolab Wars (Switch)
56. SUPERHOT (Switch)
57. Dogurai (Switch)
60. Dear Esther (iOS)

61. Framed 2 (iOS)
62. A Noble Circle (iOS)
63. Lit (iOS)
64. SPL-T (iOS)
65. Florence (iOS)

Still clearing out games on my iPad in advance of a massive Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father download...

Lit is the mobile version of a WiiWare game by WayForward. In it, you navigate rooms by turning lights on and off. Stepping in a dark location will kill you, as will certain monsters that behave in predictable patterns, I like WayForward games, and I like puzzle games. Nonetheless, this game is pretty much garbage. The gameplay’s not that compelling; the puzzles are rudimentary; and it controls horribly. I got the bad ending because I didn’t complete each puzzle as efficiently as possible. You’d have to be REALLY bored to play this game enough to get the good ending, though, and I’ve got other things to do (like, you know, washing dishing doing my taxes, waiting on the phone with the DMV, folding laundry, or a host of other menial tasks more enjoyable than this game).

SPL-T is a pretty compelling puzzle game from Simogo, the creators of true stand out mobile titles like Device 6 and Year Walk. In it, you divide boxes alternately vertically and horizontally, clearing them to make room for more boxes. The game ends when you can no longer split the boxes on the screen. It’s a score-chaser, like Tetris, and you can’t really beat it. I’ve been playing it on and off for years, however, and I have a respectable high score (10,000+), which is good enough for me. I played a bit more and deleted it off my iPad today; so, it’s going on the list too.

Florence is a very short, but very sweet, narrative about first love. Everything about it is charming, and it really uses various gameplay mechanics to enhance the way it tells a simple story. (It’s about a young woman falling in and out of love for the first time.) I bothered enjoyed and appreciated it, and I recommend it to anyone.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:15 pm

First 50:
1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC
43. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
44. Halo 3 - PC
45. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4
46. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Aftermath - PC
47. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Switch
48. Carrion - Switch
49. Ninja Gaiden - NES
50. Earthworm Jim - Genesis

51. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Switch
52. Star Control Origins: Earth Rising - PC
53. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX - Switch
54. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - PC
55. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - PS3
56. Silicon Zeroes - PC
57. Warcraft - PC
58. Serious Sam 3: BFE - PC
59. Wasteland 3 - PC
60. Iron Harvest - PC
61. Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile - PC
62, Homeworld Remastered - PC
63. Homeworld 2 Remastered - PC
64. Offworld Trading Company - PC
65. F-Zero - SNES
66. F-Zero X - N64
67. Gauntlet (2014) - PC
68. Gauntlet Legends - Arcade
69. Halo 3: ODST - PC
70. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4

13 Sentinels is the latest game from Vanillware, chiefly known for their gorgeous hand-drawn 2D art. And that art is on display once again, only this time instead of fantastic settings we have a much more grounded setting of 1980s Japan. Well, grounded until the giant robots show up. Which happens in the opening cutscene. 13 Sentinels is a hybrid RTS and VN that masterfully tells an interesting and compelling story with a fantastic payoff at the end. Meanwhile, the RTS gameplay requires you to make use of a wide variety of units without ever getting overwhelming in terms of micro. It is an incredibly well crafted experience front to back.

The game has three main modes to it. The first is the encyclopedia/glossary that slowly unlocks as you play the game. It details all the events that happen as well as all the key terms. You'll want to check back on this regularly, as the key terms will gain additional information as the story unfolds. The second mode is the RTS gameplay. You will have a selection of units representing your giant mecha and you will have one of two objectives. The most common one is to defeat all enemies or keep them from destroying your base for two minutes. The less common one is that you will need to defeat all the boss enemies; these latter missions have on time limit to them. The gameplay leans more towards the tower defense side of things, where you have to manage waves coming in at your fixed point. Unlike traditional tower defense, here you don't really have the ability to corral or anything like that. Instead you will use your units to unleash large amounts of destruction. Your dudes are much more mobile, so you will be dashing from location to location. Helpfully, when a unit is selected to act time pauses. The flow actually ends up resembling the ATB era of Final Fantasy; after taking an action a unit will have a cooldown before they can act again, and when you aren't selecting an action time is running. You have four general types of units and each unit in a type has some differences in loadouts which will adjust how each one approaches battle. You can upgrade your abilities and there is a mechanic that regularly forces you to switch from unit to unit. The whole thing keeps you on your toes, but they also provide just the right amount of these battles so it doesn't start to turn into a slog when you hit a rhythm.

The bulk of the game time is in the VN portion. This is presented in a side scrolling view, similar to a belt scrolling beat 'em up. You select from one of thirteen protagonists and play through their story to learn more about WHY you're fighting in giant mecha. These stories are all heavily intertwined, and each story has several stopping points after some revelation or impactful event that will put you back to character selection. Unlike other VNs this one doesn't have mutually exclusive branching paths; you will eventually see everything as the story unfolds. You can pull up a flowchart at any time to see how things might proceed; this gives you hints as to how to trigger the next scene, as it might require talking to character A to go one branch this run and instead going to location B in a different run. Unfolding the mystery of the events going on is one of the main draws, as the story is told in such a way that there is always a new reveal that changes the nature of the information you'd previously been working under. The stories themselves will also get locked at times until you've met some precondition; most of the time these preconditions involve moving other parts of the story forward (or moving the RTS part forward), as you need to see both sides of an ongoing arc before they want you to move forward. It has all been carefully metered for maximum impact, and kudos to the scenario directors for their work.

And that's all the detail I can get into, because this is the sort of game you really want to avoid spoilers on. There's real joy in the slow gain of knowledge of the plot, and if you ever get lost the aforementioned reference section can quickly get you back on track. I enjoyed every minute I spent with this game, and I'm willing to call it my Game of the Year for 2020 (and given we also saw RE3, Doom Eternal, and Wasteland 3, among others, that's a strong statement).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:46 pm

First 60
1. Her Story (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
29. Contra (Arcade)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
40. Silent Hill (PS1)
45. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
47. Duck Souls+ (Switch)
48. Daggerhood (Switch)
50. Biolab Wars (Switch)
56. SUPERHOT (Switch)
57. Dogurai (Switch)
60. Dear Esther (iOS)

61. Framed 2 (iOS)
62. A Noble Circle (iOS)
63. Lit (iOS)
64. SPL-T (iOS)
65. Florence (iOS)
66. Wurroom (Switch)
67. Warlock’s Tower (iOS)

Wurroom is an interactive art exhibit that you can “beat” in 15 minutes. I’d complain about the incredibly short length, but it only cost me $0.99. Also, it’s a really cool 15 minutes. Recommended to anyone who can spare a dollar.

Warlock’s Tower is a puzzle game in which you guide a mailman up the titular Warlock’s Tower. To reach the top, you must avoid monsters, disarm traps, switch levers, and find keys. Adding to the difficulty is the Warlock’s Curse, which makes you lose a life every time you take a step. If you run out of lives, you have to restart from the beginning of the room. Thankfully, the rooms are littered with 1-, 3-, and 5-ups.and solving each puzzle requires careful navigation to ensure you have enough lives to reach the exit. The monsters move in predictable patterns, and later levels involve coordinating movement between two playable characters to disarm traps and manipulate monster behavior.

The later levels are really, really, really, really, really really hard. It’s not always clear whether you’re making progress, and one wrong move will result in eventual failure. I got about 85% of the way through the games when it was released in 2017, but I gave up after throwing myself at a few difficult rooms for hours. More than three years later, I decided to swallow my pride, consult a walkthrough, and finish the game. I found some walkthroughs for the console port, but to my dismay, I discovered that the developer watered down the difficulty significantly for the console release, excising nearly a dozen of the game’s most difficult puzzles (including the two that had stumped me for years)! I eventually found a solution on a Steam discussion board (where I also learned that many players thought the game, due to its extreme difficulty, was glitched and that the puzzles that had stumped me were literally unsolvable). After I got through those two rooms, the difficulty scaled back down a bit, and I was able to beat the game tonight. (Finally!). The last boss was really good, and despite my frustration, I think Warlock’s Tower is a really good puzzle game. I would encourage anyone interested in it, however, to pick up the console release which, as I mentioned earlier, appears to scale back the difficulty to a more acceptable level.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:18 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)

66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *

This is a game I last played through in 2014, and when I saw it for 400 yen a week or two ago I thought it was overdue for a trip down memory lane. The quite strange title's acronym of "D.O.N." stands for Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Naruto, as this is a Smash Bros clone featuring characters from all three series, and it was brought exclusively to Japan near the end of the GameCube's life by the folks at Eighting (who also made the excellent Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (also for the Gamecube) as well as Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom). It took me around 10-15 hours to unlock all of the content in the game.

There really isn't any story to speak of. There's an intro movie with the characters in the game fooling around and fighting a bit, and when you beat the main single player mode, there's another little cutscene of them all having a big party together. This is a game that really doesn't pretend it's anything other than what it is: A Smash Bros clone with these three series getting together to punch each other up. If that sounds appealing, then you're probably gonna be interested, but if it's not, this game doesn't exactly have any other trappings to draw you in.

Mechanically as a platform fighter, this is a remarkably solid one, and definitely one of the more solid games I've played in the genre. Eighting really don't beat around the bush when it comes to the crossover fighters they make, and this game is not exception. It, like the other Smash clone I've played on the GameCube, confusingly uses the A button to jump and B button for your main attack, and then the Y button is your special attack and the X button is your super. Shoulder buttons do blocks and you can roll just like you can in Smash Bros, and this game also has dashing and throwing just like Smash Bros. One nice feature this game does include is several control schemes you can pick from, which is always welcome in any fighting game.

For the fighting itself, the main mechanical difference to Smash Bros is the addition of the special meter. As like in a more typical fighting game, this meter builds as you take damage and deal out normal attacks. You then use this meter not just your super attacks, but it's also fuel for your special attacks and even your blocking. This means keeping tabs on the super meter hovering above your head is a necessity for both yourself and your opponents. Several characters like Chopper, Nami, and Bu are primarily built around their special attacks more so than their physical attacks, and there are also characters who use them more as supplementary moves to their normal attacks. It adds a cool layer of depth to how the fighting works and makes it feel different than Smash Bros in a more meaningful way than simply how the stage goals work or the nature of this particular crossover. The only mechanical complaint I really have is that it can be a bit frustrating to turn your character around with the joystick, and while you can use either the control stick or the D-pad to play, the GameCube D-pad isn't exactly the optimal way to play, well, anything XP

The way the fights themselves work follows a similar path to many other platform fighters (be it PlayStation All-Stars or TV World Fighters) that have wanted very much to not JUST be Smash Bros with difference licenses, and that's by taking a sort of Power Stone-ish approach. Each player starts the match with a certain number of health orbs they're carrying. Beating someone up makes these orbs fly out of them, and if you collect more than a certain percentage, you go into a super mode where you're faster, stronger, and your attacks will even sometimes upgrade as well (like Goku's super move, his Spirit Bomb, gets WAY bigger). That's really the only mode the game has, as well. This isn't like Smash Bros where there are a few other modes that take new spins on the main mode. This is what you get. There are some survival or tournament modes and even the option to use tickets you win (and we'll get to that later) to throw some modifiers into the fighting, but that doesn't change or hide the fact that there's really only one way to fight. The whole game is designed around only having this one way to fight, so it's not really much of a bad thing, per se, but I think it's worth mentioning when the main point of comparison for this game is Smash Bros Melee, which is a title that not only has a lot more content but also precedes it by like 4 years.

The presentation and overall quality of the crossover on the whole is really sweet, and you can tell that they put a lot of effort into making characters fight and feel like they do in their respective shows. Power levels have been toned up or down accordingly (there's no way any of the One Piece or Naruto folks could stand up to Goku in a real fight, of course ;b), but the attention to detail is still really neat. From one of Kakashi's specials being him summoning his dogs to hold you down (like he does in the Mist Village fight) to Chopper's main attacks being his weak deer mode and his special attacks being "human" mode, there are touches all over the place to make the crossover really make the most out of the characters it has. It's a level of detail that goes way beyond the Saiyans going Super Saiyan when they get into super mode, and it's something I appreciate even more replaying it these six years later.

The stages are mostly pretty good with a couple of the moving ones being pretty bad, and the weapons are pretty underwhelming and not very interesting (such is the problem with basically ever non-Smash Bros platform fighter), but the character roster is pretty beefy. Coming in at 20 characters (8 from Dragon Ball, 6 from Naruto, and 6 from One Piece), there's definitely a lot to enjoy here, even with 8 of the characters being locked at the start. But now that we've touched on how many characters (not to mention stages) are locked from the start, we have to get to what is easily the worst part of the game: how unlocks are managed.

Going through the normal single player mode (six random fights followed by fighting Cell or Bu at the end, depending on the difficulty), there will be missions presented at the start. These missions are of three difficulty sets, with tasks ranging from "jump 100 times" to "win without getting a ring out" to "win within 60 seconds", and each tier of difficulty gets you more coins. You then use these coins at the end of the mode (or, oddly enough, even if you duck out mid-run) on a slot machine. If you get the JUMP jackpot on this slot machine, you get to ANOTHER slot machine which will have its OWN jackpot, and that jackpot MIGHT be a new character or stage. Just like a real slot machine, there is no skill or challenge to this. The slot machine will randomly enter a fever mode where you're basically guaranteed to get a jackpot, and at any other time getting a jackpot is completely impossible (the reels don't stop even remotely close to when you press the button). This means unlocking characters comes down entirely to your patience to play through single player mode over and over and over, doing missions to get coins, to hope the slot machine gods will bless you with more unlocks. It's a dreadfully boring system that really gets in the way of what's otherwise a really nicely put together crossover platform fighter.

Verdict: Recommended. Platform fighters and party crossover games are certainly not going to be for everyone, but even with the dreadful unlock system, I think this is definitely one of the better ones out there. As far as Japan-exclusive GameCube games go, there are guides online to help you suss out which challenges are which, so it's a pretty accessible as well as cheap import. If the crossover sounds appealing to you, the base roster of the game is strong enough that I think it's worth the few bucks it'll run you to run this on a machine that can run imports. Even playing it by myself, I think I easily got my money's worth out of it, and I'm glad that I ran across it again to re-add to my library~.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:05 pm

I moved on from the original X-COM with a dash to the Firaxis reboot with full expansion and DLC content, XCOM: Enemy Within. I'm glad I played the original game for context, as I saw a wide variety of opinions about the reboot from it being a fantastic re-imagining that streamlines the gameplay whiles others called it a dumbed down oversimplification. I lean more towards the former opinion as I had just as much fun as I did with the original game with fewer headaches. Though my opinions vary on the changes they made I feel like a lot of thought was put into why they were made and it mostly all works out. The important thing about a turn based game is that it keeps you coming back for "one more turn" and it succeeded at that.

The game is very clearly crafted by fans of the original as progression follows the same beats only it's far more directed, which is generally a good thing. In the original game you spend a lot of time just waiting for the game to give you what you need assuming you even know what you need while in the reboot you're clearly directed and the game is a lot more generous in how it presents you with the opportunity to fulfill your objectives, though you can still screw up and kill that alien you're supposed to bring in for questioning leading to wasted time. At least you know that your objective will quickly be there for you to try again next time.

This does have the side-effect of making the game feel a lot more linear along with the scripted events and missions, especially with the expansion and DLC content. You're moving more at the game's pace than your own pace. That said the decisions you make in the strategy layer of the game can lead to a lot of replay value, especially with the Enemy Within content adding genetic splicing and mech construction. There are several paths you can go in strengthening your forces and it seems like it would be fun to experiment with that more.

In most cases the game's streamlining is a good thing. No more managing little things like individual ammo clips, worrying about storage space issues, or wrestling with the awesome yet somewhat clunky Geoscape of the original game. In others ways it goes a bit too far. UFO interception is made even more trivial, the tactical options you with your soldiers in the field and their gear is a little more limited, the economic simulation has been simplified and most of your strategic choices are limited to what you want to research and upgrade in what order. Most of these changes do end up making sense. The original game had serious balance issues as enemies dropped their weapons so you could research them immediately and quickly have an arsenal of the game's best weapons for free. Now research is done in a more linear fashion and enemies only drop their weapons if you stun them which is usually not worth the risk. The ability to sell dropped weapons and gear as well as sell gear that you manufactured was a fun aspect of the original game's simulation layer but it did mean you were usually flush with cash. In the reboot you are limited to selling researchable and other consumable artifacts.

Other improvements like a class system, the previously mentioned gene splicing and mechs, the ability to easily see how close a country is to quitting the XCOM project (and do something about it) and a much more fun and intuitive tactical layer definitely make the game worth playing if you've already experienced the original. One of the key differences is that your squad is now limited to 6 instead of 14-26. This makes battles shorter and more personal but it means that individual soldiers are nowhere near as expendable. As they level up they gain important stats and abilities. Losing a soldier isn't an minor setback and inevitability anymore, it's a massive blow to your effectiveness. Losing an entire squad of experienced soldiers is practically a game over if you're in the late game because a squad of rookies is practically useless against upgraded enemies and since the game's progression is more linear you can't just take a bunch of easy missions to level up new recruits like you could in the original.

Some other issues actually arise from it trying to be too similar to the original. Some aspects like the interceptor and the drone tanks feel like they're there because they're things the original game had so they HAD to have them even if the form they take in the remake is half-baked (not that the interceptor was great in the original but I digress). Most of its strengths come from where it deviates and it probably deviates the most with the tactical combat itself. Though it had the potential to become as repetitive as the original, the scripted missions added enough variety between the RNG missions to keep me engaged throughout and the more linear progression meant that by the time you start getting fatigued the game is coming to a close. At the end of X-COM: UFO Defense I just wanted to be finished while at the end of XCOM: Enemy Within I hadn't quite reached that point yet. The final mission is just about as anti-climactic as the original game's as well, so maybe that's one place where they stuck a little TOO close to the first. :lol:

All in all it was a good time. It had the spirit of the first game while having its own different, yet extremely familiar, take. I almost wish it had tried to do more with the setting and narrative instead of just follow the simple beats of the old game, but hey, that's what XCOM 2 is for I guess.
Flake

by Flake Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 am

January through September:
January
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Switch)
Super Metroid (Switch)

February
Megaman X (Switch)
Nekketsu Highschool Dodgeball Club (Switch)
Super Dodgeball (Switch)

March

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (SNK Pro Stick)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

April

Batman The Telltale Series (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
SNK Gals' Fighter (Switch)

May

King of Fighters 97: Global Match (PS4)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

June
Megaman X3 (Switch)
Megaman X4 (Switch)
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (PS4)
King of Fighters 99 (Switch)
Injustice 2 (PS4)

July

Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

August

Shovel Knight Showdown (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS4)

September

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Switch)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (WiiU)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

October

Super Mario 35 (Switch)

I managed to win first place 5 times today - so I guess that counts as having 'beaten' Super Mario 35?

Mario 35 is like a series of Mario Maker levels where the stages don't suck and weren't designed to be stupid.

This game is pretty amazing, IMO. It really challenged my muscle memory with the original Super Mario Bros. Every aspect of how I played these levels was different - coins became important, it was dangerous to rush ahead without a plan to deal with randomly placed enemies, and I took time to really target certain enemies that I would normally avoid so that I could send them at other players.

There is room for improvement - having everyone share a pool of levels with everyone's choice being weighed equally sucks. If I needed to clear 3-2 to get access to 3-3 and I was playing with 34 people who only had 1-1 and 1-2, there was almost no chance of getting to play the stage I needed to. I also feel like the fire flower is too powerful and too easy to get. I'm hoping that this game evolves over the 5 months that it is available. Adding Luigi (with his physics from Super Luigi Bros from NES Remix) would be a great idea. I'd also love it if the game didn't go away. Or if it did, to be replaced with the same concept done for Super Mario Bros 2 (USA).
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming