Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
32-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by Note Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Bone, I can't believe you sat through that mess of a game. Salute to you. I couldn't get through more than a half hour of it.
Ack

by Ack Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:44 am

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

That's another two off my backlog. Oh boy, this is going to be fun to discuss...

Waking Mars

I didn't pay much attention to the rise of cellular gaming when phones suddenly became the new handheld around the start of the decade. For one, I had a lot of other personal and professional concerns, and I was moving away from paying attention to video game news. However, one name that I recalled hearing as an example of excellence in this medium was Waking Mars. When it got a Steam release, I waited until the next big sale and bought it for ridiculously cheap. Then I sat and waited for six more years before playing it.

Waking Mars is an adventure game with some level of platforming and some level of Metroidvania-style gameplay. You play an astronaut exploring a cave system on Mars, working in tandem with a fellow astronaut back at basecamp with a tech specialization as well as an AI which has had its communication code nerfed as a practical joke. Your mission? Explore the cave, try to find your lost exploration robot, and try to return to basecamp. To do this, you have to grow weird plant-like alien creatures to increase biomass, thus opening up weird biological walls that prevent you from further exploration.

Eventually you discover that what you're doing is moving through a biological system similar to a giant body, put in place by an alien race of flying spaghetti monsters that went dormant on Mars millennia ago. Your actions will eventually lead to the potential reawakening of biological life on the planet, but it may also be the death knell because the energy source keeping these things alive is on the way out. There are a couple of different endings too, depending on actions you take at a few key moments near the end of the game as well as how much work you put into reaching the top tier of biomass.

One interesting aspect for this game is that I eventually realized I was using certain areas as farms for the "seeds" and such that I would need to impact other areas. Some zones became my go-to locations to grab key resources needed in others, and by the end, I had a network of areas I was using effectively as crops for the rest of the cave system. Basically, I was playing a farming simulator in a Metroidvania on Mars.

Cool game.

I liked Waking Mars, and I can see why this game got a lot of attention when it came out. Yes, animations are limited, but I didn't really need that, as it still managed to convey an interesting story and provide exciting exploration and fun gameplay. I am impressed with my experience and would recommend this to others who enjoy the Metroidvania style but want something a little different from your more traditional "kill everything" approach to video games.

Requiem: Avenging Angel

Oh boy, this game.

Ok, so...you're an angel. God is concerned because Lucifer and his various demons have infested Earth, so they want you to go down and kick some ass as well as find another angel that went missing in a previous mission. Oh, but in the meantime the demons have set up a one world government, so you also have to join up with rebels to dismantle that, because after all, government is evil. Oh, and the evil demons are also creating a spaceship, and we can't have that because then they might actually be able to reach Heaven on said ship, so we gotta destroy that space program technology too. Also, you have a mullet. In fact, you look like a henchman from a 1990s action movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme. Specifically, you look like a henchman from the movie Time Cop. More specifically, this guy:

That's right. You're an angel sent to Earth to destroy big government and science and technology. Also somewhere along the way you will destroy a hospital and wreck the government healthcare system as well as a power plant and government-controlled utilities. Oh, and half this game you will be stuck in a sewer, which yes, you will have to occasionally drain.

This game came out in 1999.

I bought Requiem: Avenging Angel when it came out on GOG because at the time I bought every FPS that came out on GOG (though I no longer actively do this, I still own most of them). However, I couldn't get it to work, so as a result, it languished for several years in my "Repairs Required" category until I finally spent a few hours and coaxed it into running...poorly. The experience wasn't good, partly because it was plagued with tech issues, and partly because it just isn't that great a game. What kind of tech issues? Here's a short list:

Disappearing HUD.
Black boxes appearing on screen where text would be at every load point
Resolutions not changing properly.
Zoomed in menus so that I couldn't actually see most options such as controls I was modifying.
Graphical glitches such as geometry lines appearing around objects.
Hilarious texture fails such as character faces appearing on their gibs after they'd been blown apart. Not their head either. Like on their arms.

Still, it limped, and in my family that's good enough. But once that was handled, I discovered the actual gameplay just isn't that great. You see, Requiem: Avenging Angel plays like if Dark Forces II and Blood II had a freaky love child that was weirdly religious. You get angel powers like the force powers of Dark Forces II. You also get guns, some of which are actually fun to use until you realize that enemies have awkward hitboxes. Still, solid sound effects for the most part help you feel like you're actually conveying some firepower for at least some of the game. And then the Blood II part kicks in, with terrible boss fights, enemy bullet sponges, enemies with pinpoint aim (thankfully using projectile weapons instead of hitscan), and frustrating level design.

For the record, I consider Blood II absolutely terrible. Requiem reminded me of a buggier Blood II. Do you get where I'm going with this?

I play stuff like Requiem because I enjoy even the dregs of FPS games, but sometimes it can be a painful experience. That's Requiem, down there so near the bottom of the barrel that if I scraped any further, I'd be an inch deep in wood.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go blowdry that mullet.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Games Beaten in 2020 - 20
* denotes a replay

January (1 Game Beaten)
1. Pokemon Sun - 3DS - January 14*

February (2 Games Beaten)
2. Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order - Xbox One - February 15
3. Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! - Switch - February 29*

March (10 Games Beaten)
4. Pokemon Shield - Switch - March 1*
5. Doom [1993] - Switch - March 6*
6. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays - PS4 - March 6
7. Lego DC Super Villains - Switch - March 19
8. Doom II: Hell on Earth - Switch - March 19
9. Doom 3 - Switch - March 20
10. Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - Switch - March 22
11. Doom 3: The Lost Mission - Switch - March 23
12. Doom 64 - Switch - March 26
13. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth - Nintendo 64 - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
14. Wolfenstein 3D - Steam - April 1
15. Doom Eternal - Xbox One - April 3
16. Age of Empires (Definitive Edition) - Steam - April 4
17. Age of Empires: Rise of Rome (Definitive Edition) - Steam - April 5
18. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch - April 9
19. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - SNES - April 18
20. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Switch - April 20

20. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Switch - April 20

For me personally, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX is an exemplar of why game developers and publishers need to release free demos of their games for download. I had never touched a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game before this one. I always thought they looked cute but never interesting enough to bother spending money on and playing. When I saw that the demo for this remake was free to try, though, I thought, "Why not? Can't beat free." Within about ten minutes, I was hooked. I still waited a couple months to buy the full game (I had one of my VERY rare moments of financial responsibility), but once that tax refund check hit, you better believe I used what little I got back to pick up a copy (along with Doom Eternal).

The basic premise is that you're a human turned into a Pokemon through plot device magic, and you team up with a BFF Pokemon (in my case, Jeff Dahmer the Charmander and Lil Homie the Squirtle, respectively) to form a rescue team to go help save Pokemon in danger from the natural disasters occurring all over the land. I named my team PokeBros. From there, you go through procedurally generated dungeons, battle random Pokemon, pick up items, and try to find the stairs to the next level of the dungeon as you search for whatever Pokemon it is you're tasked with saving. Sometimes when you defeat an enemy Pokemon, it can develop acute Stockholm Syndrome and feel some kinship with you after you beat the shit out of it. This Pokemon will then ask to join your party. For the rest of the dungeon, it will serve as an ally NPC. When you clear the dungeon (assuming it hasn't been defeated by an enemy), the ally NPC Pokemon will ask to join your rescue team. If you have a camp it can stay in (each camp only allows certain Pokemon, so build as many camps as you can as quickly as you can), you can invite it to join your rescue team. If you don't have a camp for it or decline to invite it, you'll get some money as a reward for giving it a great adventure (and beating the shit out of it). If you invite it join your team, it can fill one of the three playable slots in your rescue team. Keep in mind, though, that you can only have up to five ally NPC Pokemon with you at a time. This was disappointing to me as I found my sixth abused Sandshrew that asked to join but couldn't and forced me to abandon my dreams of building a grand Sandshrew army.

The game of which this is a remake was a 2D Game Boy Advance game, and while the remake keeps the 2D gameplay, the environments and characters themselves have been redone in a 3D style that has an EXTREMELY visually pleasing hand-drawn aesthetic. Honestly, the visuals are probably my favorite part of the game. The gameplay is great, the characters are cute, and I obviously love building as large a reserve of rescue team members as I can, but the graphics are just to beautiful and well-done that it's hard not to be stunned. It's reminiscent of Muramasa on Wii and Vita with the art direction. That's not to say that it necessarily looks exactly like Muramasa, but the obvious care and artistic flair with which the visual style was crafted definitely reminded me a lot of it. As far as game features, though, it's mostly a pretty standard dungeon crawler, but there is one that I want to mention specifically - the rescue system. Not rescuing NPCs - that's the whole point of the game - but when your team gets knocked out. If all three members of your team faint in a dungeon, you have two options - respawn and lose all of your money, progress, and items; or put in a rescue request. If you choose the latter option and have the ability to play online, you can put up a request (with a seven day expiration) and hope that another real player online will see your request, take the job, and rescue your team. From there, you can continue your journey through the dungeon where you were defeated without losing any items or money. If you don't have the ability to play online but do have more than three Pokemon that you've recruited, you can put together a second three-man team and go rescue yourself. This is definitely the faster way, but I personally preferred having someone rescue me and using my other Pokemon to rescue other people who've put up requests in the meantime. It's not efficient, but it was more fun to me personally. It was a really nice touch, and while it's not true multiplayer, it's a cool way to get player interactivity into the game.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX may have been my first experience with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series, but I highly doubt it will be my last one. I had an absolute blast playing it, and I'll definitely be going back to do some of the post-game content. It's addicting and chill all at the same time, and it's just so damn CUTE. The art direction really steals the show, and while that in no way should diminish one's appreciation for the fantastic soundtrack in the game, it's not often that I see games as oozing with artistic style as this one. This is definitely a game to keep on your radar, folks. If nothing else, download the demo (it's free; what do you have to lose?) and see if it scratches that itch for you the way that it did for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:45 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)

26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *

A best friend of mine visited me earlier this month before he headed back to America (this was before the pandemic got very serious around here), and he gave me his Japanese PS2. Now with the ability to finally play PS1 and PS2 games, I hurried to the resale shop near me that I knew had this game and picked it up, since I've been wanting to play it for months. I'd never played the Japanese version of the game before, but it's a game I've 100%'d at least twice in English many years ago, so this was very much a trip down memory lane. It took me about 7 or 8 hours to capture all the monkeys and beat every stage (the English localization uses "ape" and "monkey" interchangeably, despite them clearly being apes, so I'm gonna do that as well here :b).

Ape Escape 2 is the second main-line game in the Sony-published and produced platformer franchise. It's a 3D action platformer collectathon that has two main gimmicks: monkeys and the dual-shock joysticks. Gimmick #1 is that the "star" equivalents are the monkeys themselves, whom you need to hit with your net to capture them. As you go through the game, they have ever more sophisticated methods of both hiding and then defending themselves, and if you collect enough of them in a stage, you'll complete it and be teleported out. The game has a sorta Mario Odyssey feel to it, to compare it to something more recent, in that there's a kind of linear path (or two) through each stage, but only once you get enough of the collectible do you actually leave it. You don't need to restart it each time. There are even some extra monkeys that repopulate levels once you beat the game as an incentive to go back and get other monkeys you missed, also a bit like Mario Odyssey (although nowhere near as many new things in old levels as that game), and getting all of those unlocks the true final boss.

Gimmick #2 is the dual shock, as this was a game series born on the PS1 more or less to show off the new DS1 controllers. You move with the left joystick, but the face buttons don't do anything but change your weapon. Actual attacking is done with the right stick (swinging in a particular direction, rotating it to spin up a propellor, etc.), and then you jump with R1. It can take some getting used to, and it honestly sometimes feels more like a contrived gimmick than a genuinely needed element for a few weapons, but it's gives the games a unique play style that is more good/novel than it is bad/frustrating.

The plot is as silly as the nature of the adventure describes. Due to a mislabeled shipment of monkey pants getting mixed in monkey helmets at the monkey park, the evil supergenius monkey Specter is able to once again get back his super intelligence, give all his mischievous buddies better smarts as well, and escape from the monkey park. You as Hikaru, whose fault this more or less is, are tasked with going out there to the various places and times the monkeys have run off to to re-capture them. It's all a very light-hearted and silly affair that doesn't take itself too seriously. While I do certainly have a soft spot for the English voice acting (I don't really like how Specter sounds like a kid in Japanese), the Japanese VA is also very fun, especially the Monkey Force Five who are all similarly campy and fun in their own ways in both English and Japanese.

As far as regional differences go, between my memory and the very small page for it on tcrf, there's very little differences between the English and Japanese aside from the VA and a nature around of the monkey's pun names. The only noteable ones are the English version technically having more monkeys out of the box, as 3 special event monkeys in the Japanese version are just wrapped into the main game seamlessly in English and don't require any special action on the part of the player to go and catch. Granted, that's 3 monkeys out of a total of 300, so it isn't exactly a mind-blowing amount of extra content, but the English version does technically have more to do. Then the weird thing I cannot imagine the reason for the English version lacking is the faster ability to change weapons by double tapping that face button to cycle through them. I mean it isn't a perfect system, as you have 14 of the things so going past the one you want can suck, but it's far faster and more fluid than going into the pause menu to change them every time like the English version forces you to. Perhaps they thought it was just a bit too fiddly to impose upon the international release of the game.

The presentation of the game is very Japanese without being explicitly so, and I think that speaks to just how little of the game was changed for the localization. It's very upbeat, very colorful, and has good music (although not anything particularly MP3-player-worthy, in my opinion), but it's all still grounded within its own logic. It's still fairly 'anime' in its style, but it's no Stretch Panic or Incredible Crisis.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. This is one of my favorite games on the PS2, and one of my favorite franchises of Sony's. I love the presentation, the characters, the gameplay, and the level design. If you like action/platformer games, this is absolutely a game worth checking out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 pm

1. ACA NeoGeo: Cyber-Lip (Switch eShop)
2. Pengo (Atari 2600)
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
4. Knights of Xentar (PC)
5. Hoshi o Sagashite... (Mark III)
6. Dead Zone (Famicom Disk System)
7. Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System)
8. High School! Kimengumi (Mark III)
9. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
10. Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000)
11. Steins;Gate (Vita)
12. Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
13. Squidlit (Switch eShop)
14. Skyblazer (SNES)
15. Tokyo Dark: Remembrance (Switch eShop)
16. Bubble Bobble (Famicom Disk System)
17. Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
18. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Returns (Switch eShop)
19. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider (Switch eShop)
20. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
21. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis)
22. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace (Switch eShop)
23. Oink! (Atari 2600)

Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace
Well, two things here were inevitable: 1) the fact that this game came to exist and 2) the fact that I played it. For the uninitiated, Steins;Gate is an absolutely phenomenal visual novel. Originally released in 2009 in Japan, it slowly but surely made its way to the West via a series of ports. The game showcased intriguing time travel mechanics, an endearing and hilarious cast of misfit wannabe-scientists, and an empathetic and relatable protagonist. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace is not in fact a true "sequel" to Steins;Gate (that would be Steins;Gate 0), though it is the first of several spin-offs. Those who are dead set on experiencing the series in order (by release date, not the insane in-game chronology!) should hit this one up after playing the original.

As the title hints at, My Darling's Embrace is a dating sim set in the Steins;Gate universe. It's an intriguing idea. The original Steins;Gate was almost a dating sim: every route and subsequent ending expanded on the relationship between the "mad scientist" Okabe Rintaro and one of his female companions. But the relationships in the original game weren't exactly deeply romantic (for the most part), they were more like cutesy little crushes. As for My Darling's Embrace, expect more of the same! Mercifully, the developers did not delve into anything hot and heavy: there are no "h-scenes" and the relationships play out in an exaggerated and comedic fashion, which is completely consistent with the characters' personalities and attitudes. The possible situations Okabe finds himself in are all pretty amusing. In one he's almost literally "attached at the hip" with his pal Kurisu due to an experiment gone wrong. In another he decides join a band as bassist despite having no discernible skill, talent, or aptitude (this one cut me deep). In yet another he tries to prevent a relationship between two individuals; as a time-traveler he's aware the consequences.
Mechanically and aesthetically, My Darling's Embrace is basically identical to the original Steins;Gate, which is a good thing. The art is, once again, gorgeous, and there are plenty of new stills to unlock. The music is lovely -- this time around the "fun" pieces are used more often, and the new tunes (like the great opening track) are a welcome addition. Navigation is of course managed via Okabe's cell phone, as strategically replying to emails and sending messages to the past determines the progression of the storyline. The "common route" (the game's mandatory opening sequence) is around four hours; following that the player will be locked into a specific character route based on choices made. Some players may be disappointed to find out that this one doesn't "flow" in the same way most dating sims do. In other words, Okabe doesn't end up with a specific girl by "showing favor" towards her: the world of Steins;Gate is much more chaotic and unpredictable. Locking into each route does admittedly feel rather arbitrary. And while the game assists the player by keeping a log of sent and received emails, a walkthrough is almost certainly required to view all possible outcomes.

My Darling's Embrace is a lot like Muv-Luv photonflowers* (but better). It's a love letter to fans of the original, folks who couldn't get enough of these zany characters and their time-bending science exploits. Any fan of the original Steins;Gate will surely enjoy this "darling" set of fluffier side stories. As for those who didn't care for Steins;Gate... well I'm not sure those folks exist.

Oink!
There really aren't enough retro games about pigs. While Japanese arcades gamers were treated to the likes of Pooyan and Butasan, American Atari owners had the opportunity to take Activision's Oink! out for a spin. This one's based on "The Three Little Pigs" fable, with one "B. B. Wolf" assuming the role of villain.

Oink! is an action game with a simple premise. In a single-player game, the player takes on the role of three pigs (in succession), who must defend their straw, stick, and brick residences from the huffing and puffing of the wolf. In each stage, the player's pig occupies the top in-house area of the screen, while the wolf is outside at the bottom. The wolf's periodic blowing (represented by a diagonal line) chips away at the house walls. To stay alive, the pigs must grab new building materials from a the vertical row under each house's roof, filling in gaps left by the wolf's assault. When a row of materials is depleted, a new one instantly appears. Controls are very fluid, pixel-perfect precision isn't required to either grab or drop materials successfully -- as the manual states, being in the vicinity is sufficient enough. There are two primary difficulties, which determine whether a pig can drop materials into a hole from afar or whether he must venture closer to the danger zone.
The wolf's breath apparently has a secondary function. Should he create a large enough gap in a house wall, the wolf can "suck in" a pig, which results in the loss of a life. Progression through the game is a bit strange, as one must lose a life to continue to the next stage. Thus, Oink! hard-locks after stage three and the game is over. Now, Oink! does demand a bit of strategy: the player must learn to fill holes quickly whilst taking the shortest routes possible, and it's essential to focus on plugging big gaps rather than diverting attention to spread-out smaller holes. That said, this is one of the easier Activision games. 25,000 points is necessary to earn the "Oinkers" badge -- I hit 27,000 on my first serious attempt.

To mix things up, there's a multiplayer option where two players alternate control of the pigs. Additionally, there's an amusing battle mode where one player takes on the role of the wolf! Graphically, the game looks quite detailed, especially in regards to the pig and wolf sprites, though as one would expect the houses are differentiated by color alone. The sound design is pleasing enough, featuring a persistent rhythmic beat via the dropping of materials. Overall, this may not be one of Activision's elite, but it's a cheery slice of good fun.
Note
32-bit

by Note Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:57 pm

1. Streets of Rage 2 (GEN)
2. The Ninja Warriors (SNES) [3x]
3. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
4. Golden Axe (GEN) [3x]
5. Beyond Oasis (GEN)
6. Super Double Dragon (SNES)
7. Shenmue II (DC)
8. Shining Force 2 (GEN)
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
10. ActRaiser (SNES)
11. OutRun (GEN)
12. X-Men 2: Clone Wars (GEN)
13. Captain Commando (SNES)
14. The Pirates of Dark Water (SNES)
15. Final Fight (SNES)
16. Gradius III (SNES)
17. Super R-Type (SNES)
18. U.N. Squadron (SNES)

19. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

This is another game I played through a large portion of multiple times, but never finished previously. Last night I finally made the time to beat the game. This was my introduction to the Castlevania series, as my cousins had this game back in the day. Even though I liked it, I never revisited it until I got a Super Nintendo Classic. Also, I didn't own the cart until more recently.

Regarding the graphics, I think this game looks good for an early entry on the SNES. The levels and backgrounds are detailed, and although I'm not too familiar with the original trilogy on the NES, it seems like Konami did a good job of sticking to the themes introduced in those games. The creators gave each level it's own unique theme and look, as you'll traverse through forests, flooded ruins, a library, and even a treasury. Also, the use of Mode 7 for Stage 4 is a really unique touch, and a very memorable level design. Another major strong point in this game is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is amazing, one of the best on the system IMO, and gives the game a great atmosphere. This is something I can probably put on in the background, even while not playing the game.

Gameplay wise, I have to say the controls feel a bit stiff or clunky, and took me some time to get used to, but perhaps it's because I'm not as experienced with this series. Even as a newcomer, I didn't find the first half of the game too challenging, but the difficulty definitely ramps up later on. The later levels have a lot of instant death spikes, and you'll need to maneuver through more waves of enemy attack patterns.

Overall, I definitely recommend Castlevania IV. This is one of the best platformers on the system, and something that's easy to revisit. I'd like to finally try to beat Bloodlines on the Genesis and Symphony of the Night on PS1 later in the year.
opa
64-bit

by opa Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 pm

bone - Oink! sounds pretty cool. I've never run across it in my searches (granted I wasn't necessarily looking for it). I'll have to keep an eye out.
visual_death
24-bit

by visual_death Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:34 pm

I’ve had a lot of time to play games since being on lockdown.
- life is strange before the storm
- death stranding

I can’t remember if this was end of 2019 or beginning of 2020:
- diablo 3 (Nintendo switch)
- beyond two souls
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Note wrote:
Gameplay wise, I have to say the controls feel a bit stiff or clunky, and took me some time to get used to, but perhaps it's because I'm not as experienced with this series. Even as a newcomer, I didn't find the first half of the game too challenging, but the difficulty definitely ramps up later on. The later levels have a lot of instant death spikes, and you'll need to maneuver through more waves of enemy attack patterns.

Overall, I definitely recommend Castlevania IV. This is one of the best platformers on the system, and something that's easy to revisit. I'd like to finally try to beat Bloodlines on the Genesis and Symphony of the Night on PS1 later in the year.

This is an interesting perspective from a newcomer, as someone who grew up with castlevania on the NES, CV4 was amazing because of how fluid and dynamic the controls were in comparison, but as someone who is not experienced with the series I could definitely see how the controls would feel clunky.

SOTN is amazing and deserves all the praise it gets, I definitely feel that bloodlines is a very over rated game, it is not a bad game by any stretch, but some put it on the same level as CV4 and it is nowhere near as good.

Rondo of blood is also a very good game, many people say it is TEH BESST GAME EVARZZZZ!! and while I feel that is a dramatic overstatement, it still is an absolutely great game and definitely worth playing if you are exploring the series
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:42 am

pook99 wrote:This is an interesting perspective from a newcomer, as someone who grew up with castlevania on the NES, CV4 was amazing because of how fluid and dynamic the controls were in comparison, but as someone who is not experienced with the series I could definitely see how the controls would feel clunky.

I find that the problem with CV4 is it's not dynamic enough compared to the graphics. With the NES Vanias you quickly lock into the stiffness because it's the NES. Then CV4 comes along, looks extremely pretty, is a bit more controllable, but still not quite enough. Now you have dissonance between what you think it should be controlling like and what it actually controls like. By comparison, Bloodlines is a bit less pretty graphically and doesn't try to give you as many options, so it's easier to fit your brain into "this is Classicvania". And then Rondo actually does add some more dynamic movement to give you options.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming