Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm

Flake wrote:Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)

It's Donkey Kong Country! On a whim, I hooked up my WiiU for the first time in a while and realized I'd started a game of DKC last year and never finished it.

DKC has aged so very well. The gameplay, level design, visuals and (most importantly) music stick the landing no matter how much time goes by. It's a perfect little weekend platformer that doesn't ask a ton of the player. Given how stressed I am about work and life lately, I don't think I could have spent my time this weekend playing anything better.

Facts. DKC is a top 5 platformer, no question about it.

1. ACA NeoGeo: Cyber-Lip (Switch eShop)
2. Pengo (Atari 2600)
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
4. Knights of Xentar (PC)
5. Hoshi o Sagashite... (Mark III)
6. Dead Zone (Famicom Disk System)
7. Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System)
8. High School! Kimengumi (Mark III)
9. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
10. Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000)
11. Steins;Gate (Vita)
12. Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
13. Squidlit (Switch eShop)
14. Skyblazer (SNES)
15. Tokyo Dark: Remembrance (Switch eShop)
16. Bubble Bobble (Famicom Disk System)
17. Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
18. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Returns (Switch eShop)
19. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider (Switch eShop)
20. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
21. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis)
22. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace (Switch eShop)
23. Oink! (Atari 2600)
24. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom Disk System)
25. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
26. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
27. Chaos;Child (Vita)
28. Scar of the Doll (Steam)
29. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
30. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation)

31. Hangman (Atari 2600)

Well, this is one of those "what you see is what you get" sort of games. Hangman on the Atari 2600 is indeed....... hangman on the Atari 2600. Arriving in 1978, Hangman comes from an era where most video games were attempting to emulate "real life" activities. For the unacquainted, pencil and paper hangman works like this. One player thinks of a word and draws a series of dashes to represent how many letters are in said word. The second player attempts to guess the word by listing letters one by one. If a correct guess is made, that letter is written down and placed upon its corresponding dash. If a player guesses wrong, the other player draws a segment of a literal hanged man, one being put to death upon the gallows. The guesser wins if the word is completed before the drawn man is fully hanged. The number of allotted guesses varies by participants. People tend to go easy on children -- sorry dear, this three-letter word does not contain a Q, let me draw the man's left eyebrow now...

In Atari Hangman, the cartridge houses a bank of words for the player to guess. There are ostensibly multiple difficultly levels, but only in theory. Oftentimes the "easier" words can be more challenging to guess than the "high school" ones. The player is given eleven guesses, which is on the generous side. There are some additional two-player modes. Some allow for alternating turns, where choosing a letter correctly grants a player a consecutive turn, and solved words grant a player a "point" to be tallied up to five maximum. Mode 9 allows a player to compose a word for the other to guess. It's a bit clunky with the Atari joystick, and the other person is supposed to leave the room or shut their eyes for a minute? This is gaming in the 1970s.
The graphical presentation is rather totalitarian, with massive block letters and some very questionable color choices. The joystick is used to cycle through the alphabet, with the button used to confirm a guess. "Used" (whether right or wrong) letters are automatically tossed from the alphabet, as opposed to the pencil and paper method of writing them off to the side. Each letter will play a different musical note when highlighted, so a pleasant little jingle commences while scrolling. Of special note is the hanged man himself. He's not hanged at all. Instead, he appears to be grabbing onto the gallows beam with a single hand, flaunting his expertise at one-handed pull-ups. The man also possesses an extra appendage. It looks like something of a "third leg" -- wait, what...? Okay, my "Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion" guide (highly recommended) informs me that this figure is actually intended to be a playful monkey with a long tail. I suppose a man being put to death was too gruesome for this era. By the way, Atari also released Outlaw in 1978, where two gunslingers face off and blast each other with six-shooters.

Not much else to say about this one. It's moderately amusing, but at the end of the day most folks would prefer to play hangman the traditional way. Hangman remains a cheap cartridge and manages to weasel its way into every Flashback compilation, so even the most casual Atari fans are going to stumble upon this sooner or later. Say hi to the monkey.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:47 pm

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
41. Gato Roboto (Switch)(Action Adventure)
42. Painkiller: Overdose (PC)(FPS)

These are two very different games, and they elicited two very different responses from me.

Gato Roboto

You play a cat. Your owner, some kind of military pilot in an interstellar federation of humans, crashlands his ship on a planet while monitoring a distress signal coming from an abandoned research outpost. Of course, since he's now pinned inside, it's up to his faithful kitty to go find an armored mech suit and discover the facility's secrets.

Imagine Metroid.

Now imagine Metroid if Samus was a cat.

It works. It works amazingly well. The game is faithfully built on Metroid's style and presentation, but it's also whimsical because you're an adorable kitty. Also, you can in fact leave your suit at times to explore parts of the facility, giving you access to a few new moves that Samus only wishes she could pull off. At times it's challenging, with some points that require thinking and strategy while at others requiring fast reflexes and situational awareness. Yet it's also short enough not to overstay its welcome, with a few hidden unlockables and secrets for fun. I managed to beat it with an initial time under four hours, and I did some backtracking for fun at the end to see what my powered up suit could do.

Also, it has color palettes you can find, which is great, because the game is only two colors. One of these palettes turns the black/white color scheme into black/green and looks like a Game Boy game. Another is black/red and looks like something from the Virtual Boy. The devs here really knew what they were doing.

Gato Roboto is a delight. It's on Steam, but I found it a perfect Switch game.

Painkiller: Overdose

The original Painkiller is a fun FPS with an exceptionally dumb plot that's basically built of ridiculous weapons and fighting hordes of ridiculous monsters. The later Painkiller games continue this tradition but not as well. Painkiller: Overdose is a later Painkiller game. It keeps the dumb plot but merely reskins a lot of the ridiculous elements, gives you some bland level design to fight in often consisting of square or rectangular rooms, and it reuses assets from the original game as often as possible. Also, it runs about as well as a Ford Pinto...mid-explosion. And even that explosion isn't cool.

The plot is you're a half-demon half-angel who complains a lot and has daddy issues. You wake up and fight your way through Purgatory to go beat up your absent father. That's it.

The game consists of levels which have various themes, though if you have played any previous Painkiller, you'll soon notice that you're fighting some of the same enemies you did in previous games, only now they're a different color. There are a few new enemies, but most of them aren't good design. The one that is? I'll praise it later. That's it.

Your weapons consist of rehashed designs from previous Painkiller games or blended variations. For instance, the freezing shotgun and chaingun rocket launcher come back. Your stake gun is now combined with the crossbow that launches ball-bearings, only now the ball bearings explode. You have a demon cube that's the same as the Painkiller in previous games. That's half your arsenal right there. The other half? A broken sword that has a janky spinning attack, a demon egg that is just a remote-controlled bomb, a shotgun variant that shoots toxic sludge, and a demon head that shoots lasers from its eyes and has a weaker version of your powered up demon scream from eating too many souls. That one...is actually pretty cool, not gonna lie.

Oh, and the game just crashed. Reloading your saved? Crashed. Reload an older save? Crashed. Go back and lose twenty minutes of progress having to fight the same monotonous demons over again? Good for you, it's gonna- the game froze.

The best part of this game is the one enemy type I mentioned earlier: it's a wooden cutout of a classic movie monster on wheels. And I do mean classic, like the Universal Wolfman or Nosferatu. It slowly wheels up to you and then spins around to hit you. It also takes a lot of punishment from the front, but if you use your weapons strategically, you can get behind and drop it quick. It changes up the monotony a bit and offers a fun little tribute to some favorite movies of mine, so this was by far the highlight. It's certainly better than the demon chicken roosts.

I really didn't like Painkiller: Overdose. I really don't recommend it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:28 pm

I thought Ack didn't like platformers!
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Generally I don't, but it's hard to say no to a good Metroid-style game!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 am

“SUPPLE” :lol: Great review of a terrible game, Bone. Also, I’m glad Ack liked Gato Roboto. It’s such a charming game.

First 30
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)

31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)

I beat Quell Reflect and Quell Memento on my 3DS a few years ago, and I recently downloaded the latest game, Quell Zen, to my Switch. As I was downloading the most recent Quell game, I thought, “You know what? I’ve never beaten plain ol’ Quell!” Well, now I’ve beaten it. It’s a Quell game that’s more basic than its sequels. You slide a raindrop around a pane of glass collecting pearls, finding gems, and avoiding traps. You try to complete each level in the fewest possible moves. It’s supposed to be relaxing, but some of the puzzles are so difficult that I don’t find it relaxing at all. Apparently, I find it really compelling, though, since I’ve now beaten three of these games (and will probably beat the fourth before too much longer). Like the others, I recommend Quell to anyone seeking a relatively challenging puzzle game that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)
13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)

14. Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)

I beat Rocket Knight Adventures on the Sega Genesis this evening.

Rocket Knight Adventures is a game I've had on my shelf for over a decade. I was out shopping with a friend of mine and he remembered the game from back in the day. He is a Nintendo fan and this was one of the few Sega games he actually remembered. I rented it once or twice and enjoyed playing it despite how hard it was, so I decided to purchase. Throughout my backlogging years, I would put in the game once a year and make slow progress. I would beat one new level and then die almost instantly at the next level. After many years, I decided this year, I would finally sit down and beat the damn game. Well, after one session, I can finally say that I beat the game.

Rocket Knight Adventures is developed by Konami, more importantly, it is made by the guy who did many Contra games. You can obviously tell as I felt the game was made by the team at Konami who eventually left and formed Treasure. The game is full of boss fights. In fact, you are fighting three to five of them per stage, some with multiple forms. I will say that each boss fight is unique and challenging, so it doesn't get too repetitive or straining on you. They last exactly how long you want them to last as they aren't too over-bearing. The gimmick in the game is the rocket pack attached to your character that allows you to shoot across the screen. The rocket moves the action along much faster than a normal action game with a sword and makes for some interesting combinations in the game. I liked the Shoot'em Up levels, though they did feel a little too long. All things considering, the game doesn't have much of a story, but I did like it. I found it appropriate that a knight should rescue a Princess.

I'd say my biggest complaint would be the difficulty. Some attacks deal several hearts worth of damage and sometimes you do feel rather weak. You won't beat it on your first try, but the game is good enough to want to play it more.

Overall, I enjoyed my short and long time with Rocket Knight Adventures. The game has wonderful graphics with some cool effects on different levels. Also, the music is quite good, though the boss theme played a bit too much, obviously. It is an interesting action game and one of the better ones for the 16-Bit Era. If you like Konami, Contra and 16 Bit Action games, Rocket Knight Adventures is a must play for any fan.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Konami’s Genesis team did appear to be very interested in chasing Treasure. But nobody on Konami’s Genesis titles was a Treasure defector. Those folks had already left KONAMI. Most of the Treasure staff had their last game at KONAMI as either Contra III, Axelay, or Bucky O’Hare.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am

8th July 2020 - Assassin's Creed Chronicles (PS Vita)
This is a collection of three games, featuring the stories of different assassins during some less frequently utilised settings in gaming: feudal China in 1526, colonial India in 1841, and the Russian October Revolution in 1918.

Diverging from the usual AC play style, the games are side-scrolling 2.5D action platformers with a focus on stealth and with other elements sprinkled into the mix. After each level, performance bonuses are awarded based on how well you did, like avoiding being spotted, assassinating everyone without leaving a trace etc. Some sections can rely on very strict timing to get through, others assign at-first seemingly impossible targets to assassinate, and there are also environmental puzzles. I really enjoyed this diversity of tasks which surprised me since the actual format of the games might at first seem rather limiting. Each of the assassins has different tools to help them through the stages, but also a similar core moveset like stealth killing, takedowns, hiding etc. This makes each of the three games feel slightly different to the others but retaining that familiarity of controls.

The story in each is told via fantastically stylised comic book style cutscenes. China's are done with a billowing ink style, whilst India features cutscenes with Asian decorative motifs, and Russia has a style mimicking the old Soviet propaganda posters. I don't know anything about how actually culturally-accurate these are, but they make an impact nonetheless. Visuals aside, the stories are fairly well constructed for what they are, taking in numerous real-life historical persons and weaving them into the story of the ages-long ongoing struggle between the Assassins and the Templars. I definitely felt motivation to keep playing through to find out what happened next in each scenario.

Overall I think these were pretty well-made but maybe players may have felt let-down that they were 'only' 2.5D games with fairly linear stages, since AC is known for its open-world structure and freedom. To me, however, there's a lot to be said for a short and focused game, and it was great to have this in the Assassin's Creed universe. There's new game plus and additional difficulties, but I'm satisfied after my ~18hr run through, and probably won't revisit the games in the near future. That said, they were a great glimpse at how a classic game structure could be enhanced by modern controls and gameplay elements.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:03 pm

1. ACA NeoGeo: Cyber-Lip (Switch eShop)
2. Pengo (Atari 2600)
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
4. Knights of Xentar (PC)
5. Hoshi o Sagashite... (Mark III)
6. Dead Zone (Famicom Disk System)
7. Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System)
8. High School! Kimengumi (Mark III)
9. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
10. Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000)
11. Steins;Gate (Vita)
12. Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
13. Squidlit (Switch eShop)
14. Skyblazer (SNES)
15. Tokyo Dark: Remembrance (Switch eShop)
16. Bubble Bobble (Famicom Disk System)
17. Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
18. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Returns (Switch eShop)
19. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider (Switch eShop)
20. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
21. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis)
22. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace (Switch eShop)
23. Oink! (Atari 2600)
24. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom Disk System)
25. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
26. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
27. Chaos;Child (Vita)
28. Scar of the Doll (Steam)
29. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
30. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation)
31. Hangman (Atari 2600)

32. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
I've always maintained that Konami's Contra is the best run and gun video game of all time. With its slick eight-directional shooting, flawless controls, extraterrestrial adversaries, and stylish graphical presentation, Contra and its various ports and sequels ruled the shooting scene throughout the late 80s and early 90s, with installments spread across arcades, consoles, handhelds, and (somewhat regrettably) home computers. However, when the mid 90s arrived and gaming transitioned to 32 and 64-bit machines, the allure of 3D was too strong and Contra became yet another victim, with Legacy of War marking the descent of a once-great series. While 1996 may have marked the downfall of Contra, it's also the year that welcomed a new run and gun titan by the name of Metal Slug. Developed by Nazca, the game was released by SNK across their "trinity" of systems: as an MVS arcade cartridge (the subject of this review), as an AES home cartridge (comically rare), and as a disc for the Neo Geo CD. The game was soon after ported to the Saturn and PlayStation (in Japan), and has since shown up on multiple compilations. Not to mention the digital reissues on Steam, the Nintendo eShop, and elsewhere. The game is everywhere. Begging to be played, to be experienced.

There's a backstory here, though it's not relayed within the context of the game itself. The year is 2028 (uh-oh...) and General Morden has waged a coup d'état, apparently overthrowing all the world's governments (nice...). Only a one-man (or two-man) army can save the day. Some players may be disappointed in the limited character roster here, as there are only two dudes, Marco and Tarma, who are assigned to players one and two, respectively. Additionally, the original Metal Slug features a "realistic" setting. There are no aliens, no zombies, no lurching Egyptian mummies. Just endless hordes of Morden's decidedly human underlings.
What's immediately apparent is the game's slapstick nature. The heroes are perpetually smirking doofuses, eager to unload lead upon the opposition. The enemies themselves are portrayed as hapless and stupid. They remain idle -- sunbathing, roasting sausages, conversing -- until snuck up on, whereupon their eyes bulge out in confusion and fear. Metal Slug is comically violent, where perpetual blood splatter and explosions consume a noticeable share of screen real estate. The holistic experience is "sloppier" when compared to the likes of Contra, given the massive glut of foes. There's less emphasis on stealth and stage memorization; it's more about frantic button mashing, joystick twirling, and mowing down anything that moves.

The control scheme is initially relayed via a tutorial, in typical Neo Geo fashion. There's a button for jumping, one for shooting, and one for tossing bombs. Button D is akin to the Neo Geo X: completely useless. Controls are fluid and pleasing. The initial pea shooter is four-directional and a little stiff, but weapon upgrades are common. These are granted by liberated hostages, scruffy blonde gentlemen who pace around frantically, or are tied up in need of a rescue. There's the rapid-fire heavy machine gun, heavy-duty rocket launcher, wide-projecting flamethrower. Special weapons have limited ammunition, but there's no use trying to conserve ammo given the constant stream of enemies. It's best to just blast away and seek out every hostage. The player starts with a cache of ten powerful bombs, though more can be collected along the way. These are tossed at an arc and best saved for bosses, larger enemy arrangements, and "panic" situations.

An interesting twist to combat: Marco and Tarma don't receive damage when simply "touching" an enemy; instead they must be struck by an actual enemy attack. Additionally, when pressed against an enemy, the player's default "gun" attack instead becomes a quick knife swipe. There's an element of strategy here: as some foes carry shields in addition to firearms, they must be defeated with precisely-timed melee sneak attacks. Overall, combat itself, the meat of the game, is incredibly satisfying. There's a pleasing "weight" to all hits and kills, and the carnage never ceases.
But there's more. Occasionally players will get to hop on board an eponymous "Metal Slug" -- a massive "super vehicle" tank. These tanks come with their own lifebar, a reprieve from the standard one-hit death system. The tanks are equipped with a rotating turret, primed and ready to take out scores of onscreen belligerents and put quite the dent in bosses. The "Metal Slug" controls are a bit finicky, in a way that's difficult to explain. It's like they were designed to be twin-stick, but the Neo Geo obviously only provides one joystick per player. The firing turret can be rotated in a 360 degree manner, but doing so also tends to move the entire tank simultaneously. In any event, destruction of the tank doesn't actually annihilate the player, provided they can escape in time.

Graphics are excellent, boasting some gorgeous pixel art. That said, the "realistic" setting does make things feel a bit samey, as most stages present some variation of the "burned-down war-torn city" trope. On a similar note, bosses are all of the "giant tank or plane" variety. There's an element of "interactive scenery" to be found within each stage: bridges crumble, boats sink, forts disintegrate. Animation is hand-drawn and exquisite. The soundtrack is upbeat and militaristic, with an emphasis on thumping synths and rhythmic percussion. Of course, much of the music is drowned out by the constant barrage of sound effects. These are amusing in their own right: enemies emit varying death yells based on the manner of their executions, and an overly enthusiastic announcer shouts the name of each acquired piece of weaponry.

As an arcade game, there is a point tally in Metal Slug. The score can be maximized by rescuing hostages, and then subsequently finishing a stage without losing a life. An additional chunk of points is granted to players who manage to compete a stage with the "Metal Slug" tank fully operational. As far as Neo Geo games go, this is on the lower end of the challenge spectrum, especially compared to the likes of, say, Magician Lord and all subsequent Metal Slug sequels. A 1CC is doable for those willing to put in the time and effort. All told, being the first Metal Slug entry this one is the most simplistic of the bunch. But there's something to be said for that. It's a straightforward thirty minute sweaty palms romp through hell and back, and sometimes that's all we really need.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 pm

Superliminal for PS4, a surreal first-person puzzle game where the motif is optical illusions and forced perspective, which is used to allow one to shrink and grow items, among other things.
Return to General Gaming