47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10
48. Wolfenstein Youngblood - Xbox One - August 24
49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27
50. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PlayStation 4 - August 31
51. Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles - SNES - August 31

September (1 Game Beaten)
52. Golf Story - Switch - September 2

52. Golf Story - Switch - September 2

Golf Story is a unique sort of game especially in today's gaming landscape. It's a sports game - golf, specifically, as the name suggests - but it's a story drive sports RPG. That's what's relatively unusual about it. That sounds to may like a bit of a tough thing to pull off, but I gotta admit, Golf Story did it superbly. I never thought I'd find a sports game with a compelling story let alone one that also has well done RPG mechanics, but lo and behold, here it is, and it's a Switch exclusive, no less.

You play as some dude who decides to be a professional golfer to make his presumably dead dad proud of him...or something. The "why" of his little quest wasn't explained as thoroughly as I might have liked, but regardless of why, he heads back to his old childhood golf course to work on his game and start working his way up to the pro tour. His first step on this road to golfing betterment is to convince the old man serving as the course's official coach to give him lessons.

So the actual gameplay is pretty reminiscent of Earthbound to me if you swap out the JRPG combat with golf matches and challenges. Some characters will have you hit a ball into a certain area X number of times, some folks will have you sink a series of challenge holes, some will flat out challenge you to a best-5-out-of-9 match, but it's all about golf. When you finish a challenge or play a round of golf on your own, you're rewarded with experience and money. When you level up, you can upgrade stats like your power, accuracy, etc. With the money, you can buy better clubs from the various courses' pro shops to get bonuses like higher loft, lower loft, a farther drive, etc.

As far as golf mechanics go, it's not as intensely simulator-esque as some of the more realistic golf games are. You still have to take wind and slope into account, but it's not nearly as brutal as some of the Tiger Woods PGA games can be with wind and slope. There are a handful of different golf courses in the game most of which culminate in a tournament. To win the tournament, you have place first; second or third place finishes don't cut it, and not even tying for first is good enough. For most of them, this isn't too tough. That changes when you get to the professional tournament at the end of the game. That one is BRUTAL. You have to average par at the MINIMUM on each hole, and these holes don't play around. Narrow fairways surrounded by water, high winds, obnoxious slopes, and merciless AI opponents all make it so that you have ZERO margin for error in this tournament. At this point in the game, it honestly started feeling more frustrating than fun which is a total 180 to how the game had felt to me up until this point.

Visually, the game takes a retro aesthetic with an even-more-retro looking mini game called "Galf." I know a lot of folks really seemed to enjoy that minigame, but it just felt like a mediocre NES game to me. Like, why would I want to play a bad golf game within a good golf game? I'd rather just keep playing the good golf game. But hey, it's there if subpar minigames are your cup of tea. The music is a really nice touch, though. It's lively and cheerful in the bright courses, foreboding on the haunted themed course, and intense when you're trying to sink a putt on the green. The whole soundtrack sounds great and perfectly fits the action and atmosphere of the game. The game has a couple of bugs, most noticeably an issue I encountered a couple times (mainly on the last course) where my ball would land on what was clearly a bridge or fairway but splash as if it had hit water and count as if I had landed in a water hazard. Super annoying on a course that's already REALLY tough, but it wasn't a common issue, so it's workable.

Golf Story was a definite surprise hit for me. From the reviews, I knew it would be good, but since I'm not a sports person in general and ESPECIALLY not a golf person, I really wasn't sure how I'd feel about it going in. I found myself unable to put down the controller, though, as I had to see what the next course would be like, who the next opponent would be, how difficult the next challenge would be. If you're into golf games or a Switch enthusiast, you NEED to check this game out given that it's exclusive to Nintendo's console/handheld hybrid juggernaut, but even if you're just somewhat curious about a story driven sports game like I was, it's totally worth checking out. I promise that you won't regret it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Have you played Mario Golf for the GBC? From your review, it appears that Golf Story is very, very similar. Mario Golf, however, has the benefit of being designed by Camelot Software Planning, however, and is completely amazing. (Who knew RPGs and Golf games blended together so well?)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Have you played Mario Golf for the GBC? From your review, it appears that Golf Story is very, very similar. Mario Golf, however, has the benefit of being designed by Camelot Software Planning, however, and is completely amazing. (Who knew RPGs and Golf games blended together so well?)

Mario Golf GBC rules. TBH, I had watched videos of Golf Story and I was like "eh, I'll just stick w/ Mario Golf."
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
2. Dragon Scroll: Yomigaerishi Maryuu (Famicom)
3. Ninja-kun: Majou no Bouken (Famicom)
4. Hello Kitty World (Famicom)
5. Galaxian (Famicom)
6. Esper Dream 2: Aratanaru Tatakai (Famicom)
7. Ninja Jajamaru-kun (Famicom)
8. Jajamaru no Daibouken (Famicom)
9. Front Line (Famicom)
10. Field Combat (Famicom)
11. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
12. Mississippi Satsujin Jiken: Murder on the Mississippi (Famicom)
13. Space Harrier (Famicom)
14. Geimos (Famicom)
15. Attack Animal Gakuen (Famicom)
16. Sky Destroyer (Famicom)
17. Ripple Island (Famicom)
18. Oishinbo: Kyukyoku no Menu 3bon Syoubu (Famicom)
19. Bird Week (Famicom)
20. Baltron (Famicom)
21. Yie Ar Kung-Fu (Famicom)
22. Challenger (Famicom)
23. Ikki (Famicom)
24. Dough Boy (Famicom)
25. Atlantis no Nazo (Famicom)
26. Bio Senshi Dan: Increaser tono Tatakai (Famicom)
27. Yume Penguin Monogatari (Famicom)
28. King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch (Famicom)
29. Congo Bongo (Atari 2600)
30. Coconuts (Atari 2600)
31. Arcade Archives: Donkey Kong (Switch eShop)
32. Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome (Super Famicom)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Super Burger Time (Switch eShop)
34. Fire Fly (Atari 2600)
35. Fire Fighter (Atari 2600)
36. Space Jockey (Atari 2600)
37. Airlock (Atari 2600)
38. Makai Hakkenden Shada (PC Engine)
39. Squeeze Box (Atari 2600)
40. Lagoon (SNES)
41. Atlantis (Atari 2600)
42. Xak III: The Eternal Recurrence (PC Engine CD)
43. Blue Blink (PC Engine)
44. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine CD)
45. Cally's Caves 3 (Steam)
46. Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Steam)
47. Contra (NES)
48. Arcade Archives: Vs. Super Mario Bros. (Switch eShop)
49. Arcade Archives: Moon Cresta (Switch eShop)
50. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja (Switch eShop)
51. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
52. Indy 500 (Atari 2600)
53. Video Olympics (Atari 2600)
54. Fast Eddie (Atari 2600)

55. Muv-Luv (Steam)
Well, this was an interesting experience.

I'm not one to typically play a massive branching-path visual novel (though perhaps now I am?), but the hype for this one was too strong, the allure too irresistible. Not only is Muv-Luv a visual novel that's garnered massive critical acclaim, but its sequel, Muv-Luv Alternative, is hailed by many (including the internet's Visual Novel Database) as being the greatest VN of all time. Some high praise for games that are (seemingly) about a bunch of anime schoolgirls. Muv-Luv was developed by an outfit called âge, and initially released in Japan as a PC title in 2003. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports eventually followed. The game was finally localized (along with its sequel) thanks to a Kickstarter campaign, seeing English releases on Steam and the PlayStation Vita.

Every great game series needs to be defined by some confusing nomenclature, Muv-Luv being no exception. Though ostensibly a "trilogy" the mainline Muv-Luv series consists of a duo of games. However, Muv-Luv is split into two discrete "arcs" known as Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Unlimited. The Steam release requires these be played in order, and familiarity with the events contained within is (apparently) needed to fully appreciate Alternative (the second game, and "part three").
Muv-Luv Extra is a slice of life tale. A high school comedy about a young man named Shirogane Takeru and his lady friends. Takeru happens to live next door to his childhood buddy Kagami Sumika, whom he can converse with nightly through their adjacent bedroom windows. One fall morning, Takeru wakes up next to a mysterious young woman in his bed. Named Mitsurugi Meiya, she is apparently heir to a massive fortune, and immediately insists she's destined to be Takeru's lover. She's also moving in and has used her vast fortune to send Takeru's parents away on a vacation. This is all much to the chagrin of Sumika, who has had unrequited feelings for the man for some time. There are some peripheral classmates as well: three gals and the suspiciously androgynous Mikoto. Rounding out the cast are some disturbingly attractive classroom teachers: one who moonlights as a cosplayer, the other a physics instructor conducting vague mysterious experiments.

The writing is of mixed quality, but mostly good (and superbly localized). Extra is a quirky little romp that doesn't take itself particularly seriously. I found myself chuckling frequently at some of the more ridiculous scenarios (like Meiya quickly and casually turning Takeru's house into a giant sprawling complex) and the absurd retro gaming references (Takeru bemoans the death of the "Dreamcost" on more than one occasion). Extra is at its best when flowing naturally. The banter between the various classmates is ever-charming, and it's hard to not become attached to these kids as they meander through the fall and winter of senior year.

And then there's the "romance." Yes, dating sims are and were popular in Japan, and much of Extra is focused on Takeru's potential relationship with a given young lady. The writing is at its weakest during these one-on-one "dates." For starters, Takeru is a bratty little twerp through the bulk of Extra, making the idea of him as womanizer downright implausible. And these encapsulated love stories feel rushed and harried; two teenagers who spend some casual time together both simultaneously realize they're in love. Cue the smooching!
Oh dear, I have to talk about those "h-scenes" don't I? Or not! Though present in the original Japanese PC version, they've been excised for this Steam release. Though I'm typically opposed to heavy censorship via localization, I have no real issue with never seeing any of these individuals naked. Be aware that this is still very much an M-rated game. The sexy time dialogue remains intact (in all its painful clumsiness) with the naughty bits swapped out for a "lights out" black screen or an extended still of a preceding scene.

Winning favor with a girl requires Takeru and the player follow a specific route by choosing strategically from the pop-up choices that occasionally appear. It's actually not that difficult, in fact the game makes it supremely intuitive. Simply interact with, and show affection towards, one character consistently and that's who Takeru ultimately ends up with. Sumika and Meiya are clearly the canonical choices; in fact it is these routes that must be completed before Muv-Luv Unlimited can be accessed. Some players may be inclined to simply move on to Unlimited after the two aforementioned routes, which is arguably the wisest choice. A completionist to the end, I played through the Tamase, Ayamine, and Sakaki routes to their conclusions, finding them (eventually become) painfully long-winded in comparison. There are also some gag endings, which are actually more difficult to discover, as they essentially require Takeru act upon capricious decisions in just the "right" way.
The game is absolutely gorgeous. These are some of the best character designs seen in a popular visual novel, with so much attention to detail paid to individual facial expressions and animations. And there's a surprising amount of animation indeed, including one black & white "manga" sequence as well as some occasional hilarious "chibi" cutscenes that punctuate the game's more farcical moments. The girls are all beautiful, of course -- the Sumika character is so stupidly adorable (both in appearance and action) that I felt pangs of guilt when showing affection to anyone else. As for the soundtrack: it lays waste to even the best console titles of the era. Catchier than it has any right to be, it's the perfect backdrop for the amazing visuals. Hitting up the post-game galley and jukebox is absolutely required.

The reward for finishing Muv-Luv Extra is an entrance into the world of Muv-Luv Unlimited. Though this "part two" retains many of the same characters, backgrounds, and musical selections, its plot heads off in a completely different and unexpected direction. While Extra was focused on character-building, the priority of Unlimited is world-building. A different sort of world, that is. Takeru wakes up one morning to find his neighborhood in ruins, a broken-down mecha lying among the waste. He heads out looking for answers, only to be detained by soldiers. After a meeting with Yuuko, his physics teacher turned government scientist, Takeru soon learns that the events he's experiencing are not unfolding after those of Extra, but rather simultaneously. He's entered some sort of parallel timeline, something that Yuuko is oddly and calmly able to explain.
Takeru soon reunites with his friends. None of which have any memories of him, but all retain the personalities ascribed to them in Extra. As far as that mecha goes, it turns out the citizens of this new world are at war with a strange alien menace known as BETA. The mechas are the humans' instruments of war, piloted by elite soldiers. Takeru's old school is now a sort of military installation, and the bulk of Unlimited is dedicated to the training of Takeru and company.

With many innocent lives on the line, the plot of Unlimited is more intense than that of Extra, upping the amount of terse and serious dialogue. Of course, the harem hijinks aren't entirely gone, and there's still plenty of silliness to be had. The emotional stakes are higher overall, and the Takeru character is shown to transform ever-so-slowly, gradually shedding his crass nature that characterized so much of the first installment. He begins Unlimited timid and unsure of how to proceed within the horrifying world he's been thrust into. With time he gains confidence, empathy, and a modicum of charm. I went from desperately wishing the game starred a blank slate character and/or featured third-person narration, to finding Takeru the most sympathetic of the whole crew. His evolution comes off as sincere and steady, rather than a slapdash contrived epiphany. It's a testament to how the human condition is modified by duress, and the final two hours of Muv-Luv Unlimited showcase some of the best VN storytelling, period. There are some great (and strange) meta moments to Unlimited, which delicately plays with the parallel worlds theory, going so far as to hint at the true nature of all those Extra routes. Speaking of routes, they work differently this time around. Choices matter less throughout the game, with Takeru more or less "choosing" a partner at the end. Is it a cop-out, or is this somehow consistent with the overall Muv-Luv mystery, to finally be revealed in Alternative? As of now, I certainly don't know.

With all routes considered, the entire Muv-Luv experience takes about forty hours to traverse. If I were to play a random isolated twenty-minute demo of Muv-Luv, I'm not sure I'd be taken by it. But experienced as a whole, I'm pretty stunned. Not just by how the story unfolds, but by how it ultimately "ends." There's no contrived "cliffhanger" seen at the tail end of Unlimited, but I've never seen a game that demands the player invest in the sequel like Muv-Luv does. It's pretty much impossible to stop at this point. Sure, I played the game but my God was I played as well.

(P.S. Sumika = best girl.)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Cash-money-on-the-table level post.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Bone's winnin' those Big Boy Points.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Fuck, I must play this yesterday. I don't care if I'm broke. This is a NEED.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC
43. Ion Fury - PC
44. Final Fantasy Adventure - GB
45. Astral Chain - Switch

Astral Chain is the latest game from Platinum, which contains their trademark fast but not too nasty combat that puts a premium on looking good without the player needing to be a combo master. It cribs heavily from Evangelion in the story department and has some neat mechanics, but it also has a tendency to be just slightly too long in each mission. Not enough to ruin the experience, but you do notice it.

The basic premise is that something crazy happened and made most of the world uninhabitable, leaving just a small Ark of survivors. You're a cop trying to beat back the monsters, and the way you do so is by having a monster of your own attached to a chain. There are five monsters used by the PC in total, each giving their own out-of-combat benefits as well as a slightly different in-battle behavior (though usually not enough to make a big difference). There are some twists and turns and an actual violation of expectations regarding what seems to be an obvious plot twist. And in the end you save everybody because this is a happy video game, not a sad indie game.

The fact that you constantly fight with a creature chained to you is used in a couple of interesting ways. The first is that, while the creature is usually autonomous, you have the ability to control it to a pretty fine degree if you choose. This can be as simple as 'go rush at my locked target' or as complicated as manually moving it around the battlefield to tie up enemies by wrapping the chain around them. You can also use this to gain additional mobility; throw your guy at a flier and then pull yourself to your guy using the chain. Combat has a pretty nice flow to it and doesn't require a lot of combo memorization; instead you swap between a light, heavy, and ranged weapon as best suits the enemy (though heavy is usually the best) and remember to trigger the timed hits at the end of a combo. One interesting thing the game does is not actually give you the great combat until you're three chapters in. Chapter 1 is the intro and you don't get a monster until the end, then chapter 2 you haven't yet learned to sync with it properly, so it's pretty dumb. In the climax of chapter 2 (the point where the power up music kicks in) you gain the ability to do all the cool combo stuff, and from then on the combat feels good. So you do need to give the game time to get into gear.

The mission layout is pretty structured; you start by going into a non-hostile area and have to do information gathering by talking to NPCs. You can also do side quests; the bulk of them during the chapter are at this point, though there will be a few once the combat kicks in. Once you've finished your investigation it moves into a more combat-oriented run through the area, beat up dudes, and eventually fight a boss. Frequently you will have to go to an alternate dimension where all the bad guys come from, and this takes two forms. One is a straightforward combat arena, while the other is more of a puzzle exploration experience. The latter is one of the things that can drag at times, as the areas are large enough that combined with your move speed it feels like it drags a bit. And the general mission structure always feels like it takes an extra 10 minutes too long; the fatigue sets in right before the final boss frequently. Like I said, it's never bad enough that you wouldn't continue, but it does get you to do things like a chapter a day, instead of just marathoning.

Overall it's a fun action game that takes about 20-25 hours to go through. There's a grading system if you wan to go back and shoot for the high scores, though the scores seem to be based more around doing a bunch of different things in fights, rather than doing the fights efficiently. And there isn't a grand reward for doing so either, so it doesn't matter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4)
2. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
3. Spider-Man (PS4)
4. King of Dragons (PS2)
5. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

6. Wipeout HD (PS4)
7. Knights of the Round (PS2)
8. The Last Guardian (PS4)
9. Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

I had fallen quite a way behind in keeping track of what I've finished, my last post was in May.

Wipeout HD was from the Omega Collection and I consider it finished as I medalled in every event. I really enjoyed the visual style of this game and the racing had an excellent learning curve where even if you fail you tend to get better every race.

Knights of the Round was from Capcom Classics Collection. I played through as player one while my daughters shared time as player two. We credit fed to finish the game. I liked this one, but it did feel like it lacked a little variety in enemies. Certainly worth playing through once.

The Last Guardian was one of the reasons I knew I'd eventually get a PS4 as deeply enjoyed the previous games (Ico and Shadow of the Colossus). This was a good game that failed to live up to the others in my opinion. The beast really did act like both a wild animal at some times and a pet at other times. That part was great. What held this game back to me was that almost every memorable moment was a scripted one, none of the gameplay had occasions that left a real emotional impression. Secondly, the camera might have been the most difficult challenge in the game. Sometimes it was so bad it felt like a game from the turn of the century. Worth trying if you enjoyed the others, but I would temper my expectations a bit.

Today I finished Ratchet and Clank (the 2016 version). This game was a lot of fun and I imagine it would be almost universally enjoyed by players that like 3D platformers. I had a very early moment of frustration before I recognized that the game is designed around almost constant use of the arsenal of weapons you built up - just using your standard attack makes many locations far more difficult. The final boss gave me a decent challenge, enough that it felt satisfying to win the battle. The visuals are top notch and control is very solid.

I feel like I've been neglecting my retro games, but there seems to be a flood of current gen games that have my attention, and it doesn't seem to be likely to dry up soon.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia* (DS)
2. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
3. Onimusha: Warlords* (PS4)
4. Resident Evil 2* (PSX)[Leon A]
5. Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)[Platinum]
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze* (Switch)
7. Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)
8. Mass Effect* (PS3)
9. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
10. Mass Effect 2* (PS3)
11. Streets of Rage 2 (SMS)
12. Mortal Kombat (Genesis)
13. Mass Effect 3* (PS3)
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)[Platinum]
14. Front Mission (DS)
15. Doom: Sigil (PC)
Front Mission (DS)[UCS Scenario]
16. Doom 2: TNT Revilution (PC)[8h32m55][UV]
17. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
18. Super R-Type* (SNES)
19. Doom 2: TNT Evilution* (PC)[5h55m56][UV/Complex]
20. R-Type III (SNES)[SaveStates]
21. Life Force (NES)
22. Metal Storm (NES)
23. Near Death (PC)
24. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)
25. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
26. Dying Light (PC)
27. Star Wars: Dark Forces* (PC)
28. Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2)
29. Blazing Chrome (PC)
30. Contra Rebirth (Wii)
31. Thunder Force IV* (Genesis)
32. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master* (Genesis)
33. Resident Evil 4* (Wii)
34. Gradius V (PS2)
35. Dragon Quest IV (DS)
36. Dragon Quest I (SNES)
37. Dragon Quest II (SNES)
38. Ion Fury (PC)
39. Blood: Fresy Supply (PC)[GDX]
40. Control (PS4)

Overall loved it and I don't have any issues with the ending, some thought it was too ambiguous apparently. It was conclusive and leaves the door open for more but with Remedy now owning the rights to Alan Wake I assume they want to get back to that, which was much more inconclusive with obvious plans for a sequel.

By the mid game when you have all the abilities unlocked, Control almost feels better compared to character action games and New Doom. There is no regenerating health, no usable health items, no cover system, these boring tropes thankfully have no place here in Control. Instead you are encouraged to play aggressively and constantly be on the move. Defeating enemies drops health so that's how you remedy that, regardless you still die insanely fast if you casually walk in between a few enemies. Later on you probably won't even bother with your guns much, while they're all cool and visually look super dope, your telekinesis and lobbing debris does like 10x damage at least. Levitate and the ground stomp feels fantastic as well. There were two parts in particular that really made me rage where I died a lot but it's totally doable.

No clue what to compare the structure of the game to. Again, kind of like New Doom or Deus Ex in a way, a few big maps that have numerous branching paths. It's not full on Metroidvania, nor is it completely linear either. I love the structure myself and look forward to jumping back in to wrap up the remaining side quests and some stuff. Which, some of the side quests have been a big deal with the best boss battles in the game. The level design is one a few departments that makes me put this above Alan Wake, which was just really linear with some open foresty areas at times, but a bit overly drawn out. I actually wanted another area or two in Control, but it's still a huge game and satisfying.

A new discovery for me, Control's lore and weird fake fiction pulls a lot of influence from SCP. The perk to Control compared to SCP, is that Control has it's own set of writers, so all the lore is consistently tied together in terms of quality and all that. There are 200 some documents spread throughout Control that detail the lore of the game, things you are directly interacting with in the story and things outside of it. I found everything to be fascinating and interesting to read. This on top of the in universe kids cartoon show about the paranormal and Remedy's usual live action noir skits, leads for a rich and fun world to explore.

Technically, the game sounds pretty bad on base consoles. I got a PS4 Pro last year and am glad I did for several games I've played this year, Control being one of them. There were still some dramatic frame dips during some of the insane combat in large rooms, but the game never locked up on me or anything. I hear the PC version is the best, not surprising. But you'll need a very high end card to run this. Console wise sounds like the Xbox One X version runs best, but I wouldn't fret much if you have a Pro.

I would wager it's about 20 hours long if you take your time and do some side stuff.

Not the biggest list ever but I think this is my ranking of current gen TPS's so far that are all quite good:

REmake 2
The Evil Within 2
Control
The Evil Within
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Resident Evil Revelations 2