37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18

43. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18

One of the first things that people learn about me when they get to know me as a gamer is that I'm a MASSIVE Neptunia superfan. One of my long term goals is to get the platinum trophy in every Neptunia game (which is the only reason I played this on PS4 instead of Switch despite having pre-ordered both versions). Being such a huge Neptunia fan, I've played the whole series, and I'll be the first to admit that some entries are a lot better than others. Super Neptunia RPG, unfortunately, falls on the "not so good" end of that spectrum, but that's not to say that it's a downright terrible game. It's not as good as most of the other Neptunia games, but it's not without its merits. After all, at least it's not Producing Perfection or Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs. Zombies.

Super Neptunia RPG was a lot of firsts for the series. The first 2D platforming style game. The first game released on a Nintendo system (or a non-Sony console at all since I don't count PC). The first game produced by a Western studio. That last one is what had me the most uneasy, and that's what I pin most of the game's problems on. There are a number of issues, but honestly, the writing is what bothered me most. It's clear that Idea Factory and Compile Heart either trusted Artisan Studios too much or dropped the ball on oversight. Neptunia has never been a magnum opus series for writing, but Super Neptunia RPG just sounds like a bad fanfiction. The dialogue feels forced and just doesn't flow like it should. This is a more minor complaint, but the characters' representations also feel less fleshed out than usual. It's really clear what most characters are supposed personify. Planeptune is Sega, Plutia is the cancelled Sega Pluto prototype Saturn redesign, Uzume is the Dreamcast, Neptune is the cancelled Sega Neptune console, and Nepgear is the Game Gear. Lastation is Sony, Noire is the Playstation, and Uni is the PSP. Lowee is Nintendo, Blanc is the Wii, and Rom and Ram represent the DS. Leanbox is Microsoft, and Vert is Xbox. Eden is NEC, and Peashy is the PC-Engine. Tari is Atari, and Rei Ryghts is the Atari 2600. Some of the characters in this game, however, are just...I don't know what they represent. I don't even know if Artisan knows what they're supposed to represent. IMMERSION BROKEN.

Most people probably won't be as put off by the meh writing as I was. The biggest problem for most people is going to be the performance. I don't know how it stacks up against the Steam and Switch versions, and I don't know how it performs on base PS4, but I was playing on PS4 Pro, and I still had a LOT of apparent performance issues. Menus were as sluggish as the Xbox One dashboard at launch, loading sometimes felt like a Wii U or Sega CD game, and there were a lot of quality of life things that were just unusually absent. There were no options to sort your items. Yeah, there was a "Sort" button, but I still have no idea what criterion the game used to sort them, and there were no options. Just "Sort." Some menus - most noticeably the menu to use an item in battle - had both X and O confirm the item use even though O was clearly balled "Back." Speaking of items, the Berry, an early game healing item, bizarrely had its icon turn from a berry to a plain white box about halfway through my game and never turn back. Sometimes Neptune would make an endlessly falling animation when changing rooms even though she was standing in place on the ground. Inputs would lag especially in menus. It was just...bizarre. I don't remember the last game I played that had performance that bad in menus. If you used the fast forward option in battles to get through grinding faster, the game would go faster than it could load, so it would sometimes just stutter in the middle of the fight. It's a 2D game; how does it even have that much data for a PS4 Pro to load that it stutters? All around, this just seems like a mechanically flawed game.

Now that I've thoroughly crapped on the game, let me point out some of its redeeming qualities. The equipment, while super clunky in the menu, is pretty varied and has abilities and attacks tied to it. Until you've "mastered" that ability by winning a certain number of battles with the item equipped, you can only use that ability or attack when you've got that item equipped. Once you've mastered it, you can use it even when something else is equipped. This gives a real incentive to use a bunch of different weapons and accessories even if the pure stats of the item aren't necessarily the greatest. Rarely does a game give me a reason to use a weapon other than the one with the best stats. That's something I can appreciate. The dungeons were also pretty enjoyable to explore with areas initially blocked off until you progress far enough in the game to unlock jumping upgrades. Unfortunately, aside from those two aspects, nothing else is really exceptional. The rest of the game ranges from "Okay" to "Are we sure this isn't still in beta?"

Super Neptunia RPG, despite being the latest entry in my favorite game series, is not a game that I can readily recommend. It's not terrible, but it's not "good" either. It's a solidly okay platformer RPG, and I really think the big mistake here was letting a Canadian company handle the development. Nothing against Canadians, but Artisan Studio clearly wasn't up to the task. Considering that IF is the mascot for Idea Factory and a Neptunia character (along with Compa, a personification of Compile Heart), they really should have either kept this one in-house or at least outsourced development to a studio with a proven track record. WayForward could have done a stellar job with this. If you want a cute and fairly mindless 2D RPG, then sure, you can do worse than this one provided you can find it on sale down the line for less than $25, but honestly, while I say I overall enjoyed my time with it, and it was an easy platinum trophy, it's a hard sell to someone who's not already a passionate Nep fan.

And here's a bonus image so I can show off my platinum.

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by MrPopo »

1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC

Giants (poorly titled, there's really only one, and then someone who transforms into a copy in the end to fight it) is a unique third person shooter from a bunch of former Shiny devs. It's full of a bunch of interesting ideas but a completely flawed execution. It amazes me that at some point someone important said "you know what, this is good, let's ship it." It has all the traits of early 3D games that were over ambitious and under delivered. It's a real shame, because if you squint you can see a potentially really interesting game in here.

I'm not going to try to summarize the plot because it is barely there, poorly told, and strewn with bad attempts at humor. The humor is mostly from the same style as Earthworm Jim's, of being weird and random for the sake of weird and random, but it utterly doesn't land in this game, probably due to the animations and models. The main thing you need to know is there are three factions you play as (and would use in multiplayer) and a fourth evil faction, as well as hostile unaligned monsters. You first use one faction, then the second, then the third.

The first faction are the Meccs, your standard third person shooter mens. They play like a less good version of Outwars; third person shooting with ammo and travel times and a jetpack. The Mecc jetpack is not nearly as responsive, and your on foot speed is bad enough that you end up having to goose that jetpack just to feel like you're making progress in moving. They are the weakest of the three factions, so in multiplayer you're encouraged to play a team of five, and in the campaign you get AI helpers who are mostly useless (they're ok against buildings, since they'll concentrate fire with you and help you destroy them quickly).

The second faction are the Reapers. You trade in a wide selection of guns for a smaller selection of bows (weird fire rate and not as much variety in projectiles) and a powerful sword, as well as magic. Most of the magic is awful; the targeting is utterly terrible and you're lucky to land one hit, and they have very limited charges. You get the most use out of zooming around and swording people; the zoom is fantastic and much better than the jetpacks in terms of mobility. The reapers are recommended to be three in multiplayer, but in the campaign you get no helpers (not that you really need them).

The preceding two factions are the base building factions. See, the game has RTS elements to go along with the third person shooting, but it isn't executed very well (C&C Renegade does a much better job). The basic loop is you rescue some NPCs called Smarties and bring them back to base; these are your workers. You need two for most projects, one needs three. A Smartie can do a unit of work, then goes and eats to recharge their energy. Different buildings need different units of work to complete. So food becomes your resource you have to go and harvest. This is the only difference between the Mecc and the Reaper; the Meccs have to kill a specific non-hostile creature to get their meat and bring it back. The Reapers instead kill anything and get their souls. This means when you're fighting off enemy incursions you also get resources. This is a giant advantage, as it means the Reaper can focus entirely on base building and not be running everywhere like the Meccs have to. This means that even though the Reaper has three base building missions, you finish them quicker than the single Mecc one. Otherwise the bases are identical; you surround them with four wall sections that can be upgraded, you get a support building that makes everything tougher, a support building that protects your base center, and a building that gives you gear. As you complete buildings the gear building gets a bigger stock; you have to fully construct everything in the base to get the best stuff (which is required to finish a base mission in single player). It's pretty obnoxious that you need to finish all the wall sections, as one will always never be needed in a mission due to being in the back and no AI pathing going that way.

Finally, you have the titular Kabuto faction. Kabuto is a giant monster (he starts at five times the height of the other characters) who gets bigger by eating Smarties. After several growth spurts he's max size and unlocks the ability to do special moves (for big destruction) and can eat Smarties to birth two mini Kabutos. The are completely AI controlled and useless; they usually can't figure out where you are and have trouble figuring out how to attack things. Fortunately, the Kabuto single player missions can mostly be completed by running to the end and ignoring most things; the Kabuto campaign is the easiest. In multiplayer it's recommended to only have one.

Oh, and the less said about the overly long sequence of overly long jetski races in the Reaper campaign, the better.

Aside from the poorly told story, the gameplay just has all kinds of balance issues and wonkiness. The shooting is very unsatisfying and you frequently need to use explosive weaponry just to hit targets; enemy speed vs. size vs. your bullet travel time (which includes your non-hitscan sniper rifle) means everything is really hard to hit, and that's AFTER I found out about the unofficial patch that unfucks the mouse acceleration (the default treats the mouse like an analog stick and gives it a major deadzone). The single player uses the same balance as multiplayer, so you get to see just how fragile you are (this is worst in the Mecc campaign, which is also the first). And the base building has too much tedium. You're not really building in your lethality like you do in Renegade, It feels like just a time sink while infinite enemies swarm you over time.

I can't really recommend this game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Just the other day I was sitting on the can thinking "Man, has Elkin really not finished Super Neptunia RPG yet?" Now my mind is at ease.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Just the other day I was sitting on the can thinking "Man, has Elkin really not finished Super Neptunia RPG yet?" Now my mind is at ease.

lol, it came out when I was at my mom's house for a week taking care of my grandmother, and I got sucked into Skyrim as soon as I got home, so it took me a while to start it lol.

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 45
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (11 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18

44. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
45. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16

Command and Conquer is a name almost synonymous with the real time strategy genre, and the original game is one of the absolute classic PC games of the mid 1990s. Originally releasing in 1995 for MS-DOS and Mac OS before being ported to Windows, Saturn, and PlayStation in 1996 and Nintendo 64 in 1999, the original Command and Conquer remains an extremely fun and playable if rather dated strategy experience, and while RTS is not known as a genre that makes the conversion to console particularly well, the Saturn did a surprisingly good job of it.

The basic story of Command and Conquer is pretty similar to the real world Cold War scenario that took place before this fictional setting; there are two main powers, the UN-backed Global Defense Initiative and the enigmatic and cult-like Brotherhood of Nod, and the majority of the world's powers back one of the two. The unofficial subtitle for this first Command and Conquer game is Tiberian Dawn, and it marks the start of the Tiberian series, one of the main series within the Command and Conquer franchise. This naming scheme is because of a new extraterrestrial resource that appeared around this time called Tiberium with the military conflicts between Nod and the GDI being in large part resource wars. There are two campaigns each with 15 missions. In one of these, you play as the GDI trying to wrestle control of Eastern Europe away from Nod. In the other, you play as the Brotherhood of Nod in an attempt to solidify your control over pro-GDI sections of Africa.

What makes most RTS conversions for consoles stumble is the controls as RTS really needs a mouse and keyboard to work truly well. That hasn't really changed here, but the Saturn pad does do a surprisingly good job once you get a feel for it. It never felt quite as natural as a mouse, but I had no trouble whatsoever controlling my units. As for content, while the Windows version certainly looks a bit nicer, and the Nintendo 64 version had some cool looking 3D models (despite lacking cut scenes), the Saturn version is a virtually perfect port of the DOS original. No content has been cut from the original DOS release, and while the Saturn version does lack the extra 15 missions from the Covert Operations expansion that PC got (it was included in the PlayStation release, as well, although that version ran a bit slower and had lower quality audio), the fact that the audio is virtually identical to the PC release and the game runs smoothly with no slowdown that I noticed makes this the version to play if you are (for whatever reason) not going to play on PC. I played on Saturn because I wanted to see how it held up, but I did play through the Covert Operations missions on PC to compare. Those are just random scenarios, though, and aren't related to the storyline, so I didn't really care that much about those.

Although the game is most known for being a pioneer of modern RTS gaming, that gameplay actually isn't the highlight; the FMV cut scenes and soundtrack are. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic with a style of rock you just don't hear these days. The cut scenes are 100% pure mid 90s cheese, and it's absolutely amazing. They're absolutely shameless and a perfect example of "so bad it's good," and that's something the series has become somewhat known for. It's honestly worth playing through for the music and FMV scenes alone even if you're not a fan of the gameplay.

Command and Conquer has not aged well, but it's still quite playable and an absolute classic. If your options are wide open, I'd definitely recommend the PC version, but it's really remarkable how well the controls hold up on Saturn once you've spent a mission or two getting a feel for it. Being nearly 25 years old, it doesn't look as impressive it probably did once upon a time, but the music is just as awesome as ever and truly the most unforgettable part of the game. Regardless of what version you play be it PC, N64, PS1, or Saturn, Command and Conquer is definite must for strategy game enthusiasts.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Elkin: I never played cand c but my first experience with RTS games was warcraft on playstation, I know games like that are supposed to be kb/m but the gameplay held up fine for someone who didn't know any better. Your review of c and c makes me want to play it at some point, I love cringy cutscenes from old games, it is literally the highlight of mega man 8 for me.

@Mrpopo: thanks for the review, I always wanted to play giants but everytime I did the control was so bad I just couldnt get into it, I always meant to give it another shot but I'm pretty sure I won't waste my time now based on your review.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pook99 wrote:@Elkin: I never played cand c but my first experience with RTS games was warcraft on playstation, I know games like that are supposed to be kb/m but the gameplay held up fine for someone who didn't know any better.

I'd actually love read some kind of history of console RTS games. There are definitely entries that have done it right. The Halo Wars games come to mind more recently. But I'd really be interested in learning about the older history and growing pains of the genre on consoles.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

noiseredux wrote:
pook99 wrote:@Elkin: I never played cand c but my first experience with RTS games was warcraft on playstation, I know games like that are supposed to be kb/m but the gameplay held up fine for someone who didn't know any better.

I'd actually love read some kind of history of console RTS games. There are definitely entries that have done it right. The Halo Wars games come to mind more recently. But I'd really be interested in learning about the older history and growing pains of the genre on consoles.

That would be interesting, you can accompany that with a history of FPS on consoles. I played the shit out of FPS on my PS1 but as fun as those games were I just can't go back, strafing with the shoulders is just too weird, and don't get me started on the crapshow that is FPS on the N64.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pook99 wrote:That would be interesting, you can accompany that with a history of FPS on consoles. I played the shit out of FPS on my PS1 but as fun as those games were I just can't go back, strafing with the shoulders is just too weird, and don't get me started on the crapshow that is FPS on the N64.

yeah that's interesting as well. I remember playing FPS games on Dreamcast and it weirdly worked. I've also had kind of a weird fascination with DS FPS games lately.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The N64 controls for FPS work way better than PS1 imo, although I always choose to go with the Turok layout - C buttons for moving and strafing, analogue stick for aiming.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

If anyone wants a decent console RTS check out 8-Bit Armies (haven't played 8-Bit Hordes or 8-Bit Invaders). You can actually assign different units to squads assigned to three of the face buttons. Also Dungeons 2 (haven't played the third one).