Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by marurun »

We should play some, then. In other games I don't like meat shields, but my first toon was a Commando with focus on getting out 2 shielded turrets, and my current toon is a Gunzerker.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Gamerforlife wrote:
darsparx wrote:- Batman Arkham asylum(would've perferred to 100% it but getting the credits to roll is worth it, beat it in less than a day though joker's fight pissed me off...and before anyone says it I'll get back to snes and such when my extensions for my controllers arrive so next up is Arkham city ;) )

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:The two best games in the series. It's all downhill from here on out. Origins = recycling, technical issues and stupid multiplayer mode. Knight = Crappy Batmobile + obnoxious tank battles + obnoxious tank stealth sequences + WAY too much Joker + some of the worst boss fights in the entire series (all revolving around Arkham Knight)

Also:

Possibly the worst portrayal of Jason Todd I've ever seen. A massive step down from his character in the movie Under the Red Hood

Reading that post about the Wii U version of Arkham City, I kind of want to try it now. God knows my meager Wii U library could use another addition.

I almost want the wii u version but the thing is I picked up the goty version for ps3 and still seem able to play through the harley quinn dlc(which is fun, and came out as expected knowing quinn in her state and still not fully recovered...plus I was decent at stealth sections in that one so it was easier) without paying for it. I intend to replay most of thse for the side missions/completion later but I figured that would take longer.

Speaking of

- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Batman: Arkham City

Not much to add since it does have a lot of repeats of the first(but seems to improve on most and give a better map since asylum seemed awfully small and got boring quick when I would inevitedably fail most missions since I'm horrible at timing and the fights required a crud ton of these). I won't lie though I wished it would've had more of the crime scene investigation or recontstructions. I'm now playing Origins for sake of the way these were released and yeah it's definitely rough but it's not a bad game by any means(I'll post more when I actually complete it). I just wish there were more of the reconstruction scenes I love those :-\
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)

My thumb hurts.

I have mixed feelings on Mortal Kombat 2. It is not the hardest fighting game I have ever played, nor even the hardest I have ever beaten(thank you, WeaponLord). But it is not a pleasant experience. The AI is frighteningly skillful and often frame-perfect, and you will see a lot of awesome things in the game while playing against it...mainly because they are being done to you with such ferocity. I don't know if all other ports of MK2 are like this, but in the SNES release, the AI is aggressive and unrelenting. Sweep, and it throws you before you finish the animation. Jump kick, and it will often jump and knock you out of the air with ease, or block and punish you with a sweep immediately. Use a special, and it will block and retaliate immediately. It's punishing and often perfect...

...which means you have to fight dirty. I got through this game by using Scorpion, but I ended up abusing cheap tactics and finding ways to get around his weaknesses. For instance you can put in the directional commands for his spear right before he touches the ground from a jump and effectively land throwing it. This ended up being a crucial skill to defeating the AI's jumping Shang Tsung for me. You can also do this with the teleport punch, so I would sometimes jumpkick in and then hit from the back, especially if I felt I was getting too close to the edge where the teleport punch would become a hindrance(it doesn't work in corners and leaves you wide open). There is even a mid-air combination you can do where you perform an aerial teleport punch on an airborne opponent and then follow up with a spear immediately upon landing to net decent damage and open up for an uppercut, though I never quite mastered this. Chipping is also crucial, since the AI knows exactly when to block. Kintaro was beaten by chipping and playing it safe...and getting lucky. He never repeatedly jumped on me.

By the end of the game, I was quite used to Scorpion's Fatality. The nice thing is that there is a slightly longer input for a version that hits no matter how far you are from your opponent, despite being the same animation as his regular Fatality. I managed to use it to finish off opponents right next to me and opponents on the far side of the screen. Funny enough, the game will focus on the dead opponent instead of Scorpion, so I got a few where the camera zoomed away and didn't have me in the final shot at all. Nothing major, but I found it funny and figured I would mention it.

Because I relied so much on my low kicks for sweeps and jumpkicks, I earned a special treat and got to fight Jade. This was a crucial moment in the fight tower, not because the fight with Jade went well(it didn't, she fights like the AI is set to Very Hard and promptly handed me my butt), but because you can access the special fight after winning a single round if you play your cards right, so you can skip a potentially difficult fight. Losing to the special characters also does not cause you to actually lose but just puts you back in the fight tower at the fight with Shang Tsung, meaning you're in the boss rush at the end. And you go through the character select screen again, so if you really want to change characters, you get the chance.

MK2 is a trial by fire, most definitely. I don't recall MK being this tough, even with the triple Endurance Matches. To all of you other guys playing it, good luck!
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

1) Cannon Spike - Dreamcast
2) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - PC
3) Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS (as Mighty No. 9)
4) Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - PSP (Vile Mode)
5) StarCraft - PC
6) Naughty Bear - Xbox 360
7) The Last of Us - PS3
8] Eets (100-percented) - PC
9) Gunpoint - PC

10) The Last Story - Wii
Eh, this one was pretty sucky. I think Destructoid's review with the score of 4/10 was rather spot on. You can pretty much just read that to get my opinion.

The battles feel like clusterfucks, are too easy, and can be half-assed or bullshitted without much effort. The only exceptions to this are the last three boss battles, and that is because they're an absolute chore to complete. The fights were tedious grinds that took around a half-hour each to beat, with the final boss fight taking longer since I lost to him once. I might have had an easier time if I'd grinded more or sought out more badass gear, but I really give enough of a shit to spend more time in the game than what was required to complete the campaign. I decided to complete the game when Exhuminator said that the last 20% of the game was considerably more challenging. I suppose that's correct, but the problem was that by the time I worked out a routine, I just ran through said routine repeatedly until the boss' HP fell to zero.

I have to question why there are so many elements from other genres in this game. Does an Action-RPG really need aiming controls, stealth elements, dodging, and a cover system? Some of the elements (like the command system) are integrated well, but most of them feel merely half-hearted implemented and lead to some lame gameplay. It feels like a whole bunch of gimmicks were thrown at the wall and instead of trimming some of it down and making it gel together, the designers just decided to give you five lives with which to breeze through the majority of the game with.

The plot sucks; it's the same sappy love story bullshit that plagues the PS1/2 Final Fantasy titles. The dialogue ranges from painful to absolutely laughable. I didn't give a fuck about Zael and Calista's relationship. In fact, I was rooting for him to ditch the royal lady and get with Mirania. She's the one to go with. She's better looking, nicer, a sweetheart, she also likes Zael, and she's devoid of the royal baggage Calista has. Really Mirania was the only character I liked.

Overall, this game is really lame and is a real disappointment considering the effort the guys behind Operation Rainfall put into having it brought stateside. One positive thing I can say about it is that it made me appreciate Pandora's Tower more.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Batman Arkham City
- Batman Arkham Origins

Yeah definitely a little rough in execution but enjoyable. Wish I would've focused a little more on getting some of the Enigma stuff but eh I'm just glad to be done with the thing, city is much better but this isn't a piece of hot garbage like I was lead to believe. Though it did have a few times when I would use the explosion gel and things that i used it on would kinda hover and move in place as I did for a bit, rather strange glitch...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

GSZX1337 wrote:The plot sucks; it's the same sappy love story bullshit that plagues the PS1/2 Final Fantasy titles.

Yeah you'd think with three writers (Masaru Hatano, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and Takatoshi Aoki) the plot would have turned out a bit better. Outside the romance crap, there were parts of the story I actually enjoyed, but it certainly wasn't as strong a tale as it could have been.

One big complaint I do have with the game though, is that there are some fairly large chunks of it you can miss pretty easily. If I remember correctly, the Haunted Mansion, The Flame & Lizard, the Reptid Catacombs, the Sea Cave, the Arganan Temple, and the Contaminated Cave are all secret missions you can miss while playing through the main game. Considering how short the main game is, making it even shorter by hiding missions was a rather derp-assed idea.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

darsparx wrote:- Batman Arkham Asylum
- Batman Arkham City
- Batman Arkham Origins

Yeah definitely a little rough in execution but enjoyable. Wish I would've focused a little more on getting some of the Enigma stuff but eh I'm just glad to be done with the thing, city is much better but this isn't a piece of hot garbage like I was lead to believe. Though it did have a few times when I would use the explosion gel and things that i used it on would kinda hover and move in place as I did for a bit, rather strange glitch...

Completely agreed. I actually don't remember a lot from City, but I remember Origins feeling like much the same. I thought they were both really fun games. Definitely not hot garbage!

I don't know how long it'll be before I get a shot at Arkham Knight. I don't have either of the next-gen platforms that it's out on, and even if I had the rig to run it on PC, I've heard that is a piece of hot garbage. :(
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

darsparx wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
darsparx wrote:- Batman Arkham asylum(would've perferred to 100% it but getting the credits to roll is worth it, beat it in less than a day though joker's fight pissed me off...and before anyone says it I'll get back to snes and such when my extensions for my controllers arrive so next up is Arkham city ;) )

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:The two best games in the series. It's all downhill from here on out. Origins = recycling, technical issues and stupid multiplayer mode. Knight = Crappy Batmobile + obnoxious tank battles + obnoxious tank stealth sequences + WAY too much Joker + some of the worst boss fights in the entire series (all revolving around Arkham Knight)

Also:

Possibly the worst portrayal of Jason Todd I've ever seen. A massive step down from his character in the movie Under the Red Hood

Reading that post about the Wii U version of Arkham City, I kind of want to try it now. God knows my meager Wii U library could use another addition.

I almost want the wii u version but the thing is I picked up the goty version for ps3 and still seem able to play through the harley quinn dlc(which is fun, and came out as expected knowing quinn in her state and still not fully recovered...plus I was decent at stealth sections in that one so it was easier) without paying for it. I intend to replay most of thse for the side missions/completion later but I figured that would take longer.

Speaking of

- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Batman: Arkham City

Not much to add since it does have a lot of repeats of the first(but seems to improve on most and give a better map since asylum seemed awfully small and got boring quick when I would inevitedably fail most missions since I'm horrible at timing and the fights required a crud ton of these). I won't lie though I wished it would've had more of the crime scene investigation or recontstructions. I'm now playing Origins for sake of the way these were released and yeah it's definitely rough but it's not a bad game by any means(I'll post more when I actually complete it). I just wish there were more of the reconstruction scenes I love those :-\

One nice thing they do in Arkham Knight is steal the crime scene investigation/reconstructions from Origins, and they actually have some other nice takes on Batman doing his detective thing as well so it feels more interactive.

Harley is also well used in Arkham Knight. I found her DLC fun, her detective vision is freaking AWESOME. And her "mayhem mode" is like a variation of the OP shock gloves in Origins. Also, her main story line mission (that can't be a spoiler as I can't imagine anyone didn't expect to see her in Arkham Knight) is the best mission in the whole game because:

minor spoiler

Batman and Robin team up throughout the whole thing and you see them work together in combat, stealth sections, an interesting bomb diffusing section, and even a sub boss fight. It's Batman and Robin done gloriously well

Beyond that though, ugh. Arkham Knight really is hot garbage. Crap side missions, crap bosses, obnoxious new enemy types for combat (have fun fighting electrified enemies that you can't touch), overly complicated and punitive stealth sections where it's now the enemy, not Batman, that has the advantage. For every good thing I enjoyed in the game (like what I mentioned in the above 2 paragraphs), there's something utterly shitty to balance it out. What a hot mess that game is.

Oh, and fair warning to everyone, you will NOT see Arkham Knight's ending unless you do EVERYTHING in the game. Have fun with those super repetitive and annoying side missions, and the shitty tank battles too.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Gamerforlife wrote:you will NOT see Arkham Knight's ending unless you do EVERYTHING in the game. Have fun with those super repetitive and annoying side missions, and the shitty tank battles too.

This kind of junk has lead to my favorite personal purpose for Youtube... seeing the "hidden" endings in games without having to do the inane bullshit.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

See what of the side missions I have done in knight don't bug me even if they are somewhat repititive, my problem is i hate the race/chase parts though since I stink at controlling the car especially the race parts where riddler controls the crushers(his part in this and origins remeinds me of DK64 so it doesn't bug me so much on the collectathon parts of it since I enjoyed that...I really am determined to beat this one though and I may just attempt to 100% it if I can control where I go this time around without hitting that one major roadblock that prevents a lot of progress(especially since it helps with getting upgrades quicker doing all the side missions)
My gameroom