Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Exhuminator »

Key-Glyph wrote:So yeah. I hear that Super Metroid is even better. I can't wait to see for myself.[/spoiler]

Congratulations on beating Metroid, and also enjoying it as well. You are above par.

It's true that Super Metroid is the best 2D game in the series. It's a phenomenal experience, and that's no hyperbole. It's one of those games that as soon as you finish it, you'll wish you could erase your memories of it, and play it all over again.

The two GBA Metroid games are also great. Fusion is a fast and fun affair, you'll finish it before you know it. Metroid: Zero Mission is a spectacular remake of the first Metroid, but with plenty of twists and surprises to keep you on your toes.

That said, Metroid II: Return of Samus on Game Boy is a hit and miss affair. It's not a bad game per say, but I personally did not enjoy finishing it nearly as much as I did the rest of the 2D series.

You've got a lot of fun ahead of you.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)

Glad to get this one out of the way. That's all four Final Fantasy games from the Super Famicom/Super Nintendo now under my belt.

For someone who played both IV and VI well before I ever gave V a try, Final Fantasy V sits in a weird in-between place on the Super Nintendo. Graphically it's leaning in the direction of VI, but the colors aren't there yet and the sprite work isn't as up to snuff. Visually it's similar to IV in many ways, but the enemy designs and effects are all improved, and there is a lot more going on. Heck, the visuals during the end credits are completely beyond anything in IV but still not yet up to snuff when compared to the opening credits of VI. There are also ideas that I see in V from IV, such as the final area and its crystalline blues being reminiscent of IV's final area, at least to me.

At the same time, FFV was a step backwards to the previous generation of Final Fantasies with its plot based on crystals and its gameplay based on the specifics of jobs. It pulls some of the plot progression techniques that Square pulled off in IV to make the characters seem like individuals, but it never quite matches the overall oomph of storytelling that IV pioneered for the series. As a result, FFV comes off as more archaic and traditional than IV. It never manages to have the dramatic weight that IV did with its constantly dying characters, let alone VI with its genocidal leaders and characters who can be killed by the player either intentionally or through negligence. In fact the plot of FFV feels sort of slapped together. So Exdeath is really a tree? Or some agent of the Void? But the Void is something entirely different created by a dude named Enuo, which caused people to split the crystals that govern the elements and tear the world into two. So why were there crystals in the first place, and why two sets of them?

That's not to say that I think the plot is completely terrible. I like that Exdeath traverses worlds and survives defeat by becoming a splinter, and I appreciate how the multiworld system of FFV evolved into the split World of Balance/World of Ruin in FFVI. Also the final boss battle of FFVI was obviously influenced by the final boss battle of FFV, particularly the stalk leading up to Kefka from the final form of Neo Exdeath. But overall, this entry just didn't hold up for my plotwise when compared to the immediate precursor and successor. Still...no Blitzball or card games. That is a plus.

Moving away from that, where FFV really shines is in its job system. The job system is the best part of the experience, as every job offers some kind of viable option, even if they don't always seem readily apparent. I turned Bartz and Faris into melee characters who could wail on enemies with X-Fight and two of the best weapons each, making them veritable chainsaws of death, especially when Flare or Holy was applied. Lenna and Krile became my major casters, with Lenna using X-Magic and summons while Krile focused on White and Blue magic. Every job I mastered brought something new to the table and made my base class that much more powerful, so by the end of it nobody bothered with using a job anymore. Part of the fun was discovering what new abilities I could mix and match as well as what new innate abilities I could unlock for the base classes to make them more devastating.

In fact, I would argue that based on my experience, job mastery is much more important than grinding out character levels. I beat the final boss in FFV around level 40(Lenna was 39), but I believe the low level record is currently level 12. I even spent most of the final world running away from enemies with the Escape command so I could build up the Chicken Knife, which ended up my most powerful weapon by the end of the game. I still never encountered any issues with the bosses, save for a couple of gimmick fights that went down rather smoothly once I figured out the best way to cope. The game seems to agree with this philosophy too, as it constantly throws super enemies at you to see if you can survive in exchange for high-powered items and large amounts of money, experience, and job points. By the end of the game, the super powered enemies are more powerful than the final boss. I considered grinding up a few levels to then go and take all of them on, but then realized that A) this was unnecessary to beat the final boss, and B) by this point there really was no good place to grind for experience. The enemies in the final area give massive amounts of job points but no XP, while the area before that gives...well, it isn't paltry, but it was nowhere near the XP I would have needed to keep me going for more levels.

Heck, by this point most boss fights went the same way: Scan, Big Guard, whatever Magic Sword choice works best against the boss, heal with the casters and attack with melee until the boss dies, rinse, repeat. Even the most interesting aspect of the game started to get dull once I was powered up enough, and by then I had the best equipment and weapons so levels would have been the only way to improve but getting them was tiresome and unnecessary to finish things. I beat the game tired and admittedly bored, with all characters alive.

You know what? Good ending. I enjoyed seeing what became of the world. Final Fantasy V, I'm happy to have beaten you. I find I prefer both IV and VI to you, but I'm glad to complete this small subset of FF titles and to have experienced what you can do.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

V has the most standard shonen story ever written, so yeah, it definitely compares unfavorably to IV and VI. But you did see the fun times to be had with the job system. You are correct that there is an end game chainsaw death combination, and if you always go for that things do start to become all samey. What helped reinvigorate things for me was the Four Job Fiesta. By restricting yourself to only accessing four jobs and needing to always have one character in each job you have to start figuring out alternate plans for getting around enemies, and you will discover some of the nice things about the lesser-used jobs and some surprising boss vulnerabilities.

You're right when it comes to level vs. job, though. Leveling rate sharply drops off starting around world 2. Based on the damage algorithms this seems very intentional, as level factors into the damage you do linearly. Most equations figure out the damage you do and then multiply it by level * prime stat / 128. When the prime stat tends to be in the 50ish range with the right job and then you add some stat boosting equipment on top you can easily be in a position where you get a multiplier every 2 levels.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

1. Spelunky
2. Race the Sun
3. Renegade Ops
4. Orcs Must Die 1
5. Gun Point
6. Rogue Shooter
Many I have forgotten to post about since I have not updated since Jan and:
7. Killing Floor
8. Grim Dawn - end of Act 3
9. Super Meat Boy
10. Toy Soldiers
11. Hotline Miami

New:
12. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People episode 1 Homestar Ruiner

Despite being a long time Brothers Chaps fan, they went to a rival highschool and my older brothers went to college with the third Brother Chap, I somehow forgot that these games were released on steam. So I grabbed the whole season for a pittance on the steam sale and blew through the first one in about three hours. It is an older Telltale styled point and click with no way to get in an unwinnable situation and only a handful of minigames. There were a couple situations where there are no indicators of where to go next, since you can travel from point to point at pretty much any time it gets muddled. But it is a charming story, full of good oneliners and throw backs to many episodes of the webseries. So if you are even a casual Homestar fan, I recommend it.

Funny enough, the first episode is still making relevant commentary with its Bruce Jenner joke from 2007.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:V has the most standard shonen story ever written, so yeah, it definitely compares unfavorably to IV and VI.

Thank you.

Also, Ack, congratulations on finishing the game. Sounds like you had a blast with the job system at least.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the story of FFIV is any better than the story of FFV. They're both pretty crap in the story department to be honest :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:V has the most standard shonen story ever written, so yeah, it definitely compares unfavorably to IV and VI.

Thank you.

Also, Ack, congratulations on finishing the game. Sounds like you had a blast with the job system at least.

Thanks, man.

Yeah, it's a "system" game. You play it strictly for the system and for building up your characters. That is what FFV is best at and where it shines. If you play it for the plot instead...well, I wouldn't recommend it. The plot is window dressing at best here. I enjoy building up characters and seeing how I can abuse or make and break things, so the key part of the game interested me, but the story just doesn't support it.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Opa Opa wrote:^ "T'was the pride of the peaches."

Im the captain of the gravy train
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Shining Force II (GEN)
25. Rayman Legends (WIIU)

Shining Force II is a lot of fun. I wrote about it in the Summer Game sChallenge Thread.

I rolled the credits on Rayman Legends this weekend. Like Rayman Origins before it, Rayman Legends is spectacular 2D platormer. The game is beautiful; the soundtrack is superb; the levels are wonderfully designed; and, most importantly, it is tremendously fun. I am also glad that I waited to play this game on the WiiU, since it is the best version for the game's "Murfy" levels (which play like a fast and tremendously fun version of Gumshoe (NES)). Finally, the game is crammed with content, and although I rolled the credits on it, I still have alot of levels to unlock and a lot more game to play before I move on to something else. I really cannot recommend it highly enough, and everyone who loves video games should own a copy of Rayman Legends.

alienjesus wrote:I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the story of FFIV is any better than the story of FFV. They're both pretty crap in the story department to be honest :lol:

I agree. If you are playing 16-bit JRPGs for their stories, you really need to read more books (or just watch more movies).