Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by Stark »

First half of 2012:
7/15 Max Payne 3 (360)
7/23 Halo: Reach (360)

Games Beaten = 26
DLC = 6

Man haven't posted in a while, I've stacked up 5 games I've beaten since the last post! Better do it now!

8/17 Medal of Honor (2010, Single Player, PC)
I can't remember the last "modern warfare" single-player FPS I even played (Battlefield: Bad Company 2?) let alone beat. I enjoyed playing through the 5-hour campaign and getting a feel for the controls. Not much to say about the story, it was non-existant, basically a bunch of loosely connected missions. I paid $5 and won't complain.

8/17 Gravity Rush (PSV)
This game was a lot of fun. The controls took a bit to get used to, but when I did, I thought the sense of falling with style (ie. flying) was great! And really this is what it's all about in this game, fun flying gameplay and a weird anime-inspired story about who-knows-what. Touch controls were well used in this one I thought, but it may annoy some that several of them are touch-required.

8/31 Dear Esther (PC)
I'm not sure I fully understood this game. It is beautiful and the music and narration is definitely very stirring, but I think I didn't quite get the story they were telling me. Part of that is the way it is presented, you move the story along by exploring the environment, and I almost wonder if it would be better if someone released a video that you watched with the perfect order of all of the narration. Still I appreciate what they were going for and love the OST.

8/31 Sound Shapes (Vita)
Platforming with a unique music presentation. Fun music from Deadmaus and Beck, this was great! I hope they release more albums from the dev, this seems like they are leaning heavily on the community base for UGC.

9/12 Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita)
I don't think reviewer's quite got how awesome this game is for what it is. It's basically a better-looing FPS game from the PS2 or oXbox days handheld (almost PS2.5). Don't they understand how great that is!? If you're comparing this to a modern FPS on the 360 or PS3 you're going to see some annoying flaws, but this is a handheld people! Crazy what you can do on the Vita, I can't wait to see what they come up with, the more and more time they have with the system.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Games beaten so far:
1. Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again - DSiWare (Gold Star save file)
2. Sonic Generations - PS3
3. Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS (with a five glittering star save file)
4. Starship Defense (All no SOS perfects) - DSiWare
5. Soul of Darkness - DSiWare
6. Mutant Mudds (All crystals and water sprouts) - 3DS Eshop
7. The Simpsons Arcade (US Version) - PS3
8. DodoGo! - DSiWare - (Golden egg on every stage)
9. Mass Effect 2 - 360 (Insanity mode difficulty with Sentinel class)
10. Mass Effect 3 - 360 (Insanity mode with Adept)
11. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 (Platinum trophy)
12. Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
13. The Darkness II - Xbox 360
14. Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3 (Platinum trophy) and 360 version (all achievements)
15. Dust: An Elysian Tale - Xbox Live Arcade
16. Cthulu Saves the World - Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Indie Games)
17. Double Dragon Neon - Xbox 360

Mark of the Ninja - Xbox 360

So you take elements of Tenchu, Rocksteady's Batman games, and some platforming and mash it into 2D and you have Mark of the Ninja. It works really well. It's better than those games in some ways. The game has a faster pace than the Tenchu games. The way the game is designed means you rarely have to sit and watch a guard for three minutes waiting for an opening like you do in the Tenchu games. The "fear" element is better incorporated into this game than it is in the Batman games because it's actually USEFUL rather than just in the game to make you feel bad ass. The stealth elements work well, and are more simple and intuitive than most stealth titles. This may be a good game to try for people who normally hate stealth. Perhaps stealth just works better in 2D than 3D. After playing this game, I really have to consider that possibility.

The game has some of the most gleefully sadistic ways of taking out enemies I've seen in a game. I won't spoil them. It's best to experience them yourself and be joyfully surprised. Though, there is a point bonus at the end of each stage for not killing anyone. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play the game that way, other than for an achievement. You can safely ignore that bonus, as I still managed the high score in each stage while gleefully killing everyone I came across.

So the game has 13 stages (though level 13 isn't much of an actual stage). They are just long enough to make the game not seem too short. There are frequent checkpoints and at least one mid level save point per stage. Plus, each stage has optional objectives like finding scrolls, completing challenge rooms, performing skill based tasks for "seals" and getting the high score. You can replay levels to do this stuff or try and do it all in your first run through of a stage like I did. I'm kind of a perfectionist. So I don't like finishing a stage with anything not done. There's some really cool upgrades and items you can unlock and purchase as you go through the game, but you'll need to do ALL the optional stuff in order to have the currency for them all. There's different outfits you unlock too that tweak your character in various ways so you can sort of customize your play style. I just stuck with the default one throughout the game though. I also unlocked a new game plus mode for beating the game. I haven't played it yet, but the game told me all my stuff carries over and the game will be harder.

The graphics are like the Shank games. If you like that style, there's more of it here. It reminds me of the Samurai Jack cartoons. There's not a ton of music, as it's mostly a quiet stealth game, but what's there is good and fits whatever mood the game is trying to set for the moment. It's sort of situational, like the Tomb Raider games, rather than constantly present. The story is pretty good, some of it is told through the scrolls you may or may not find as you play through each stage. The ending is very artfully done, but a bit short and anti-climactic.

There are a couple issues I had with the game. It can get a little random and erratic at times. Occasionally enemies don't react the way you expect them too. At times they act just plain stupid. There are other random things too. I've had alarms get raised at times despite me being out of anyone's sights and there being no corpses for anyone to find. I had a weird bug happen once that corrupted my save. In one stage, the game wasn't properly tracking one of the optional objectives I was doing, forcing me to restart a recent checkpoint and redo it THREE times. There are some minor control issues too. The B button is context sensitive. This unfortunately means that you'll sometimes be using it to do one thing, and the game will think you're trying to do something else. It's very irritating to hit B to hide behind something, and instead watch your character crouch down to pick up a body and get spotted by the approaching guard. The checkpoint system is also a blessing and a curse. The game checkpoints often, but does so without telling you in any way that it's happening. Sometimes I would restart a checkpoint due to me being in a bad situation or just wanting to redo a section, only to discover that I can't because the game made a checkpoint about 2 seconds ago. That bug I previously mentioned happening during a checkpoint is what probably corrupted my save. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just let players save manually whenever they want. Given how often the game checkpoints anyway, I don't see how this would have hurt the game.

It's not a perfect game, but not for lack of trying. This feels like a well crafted title for the most part, and those are all fairly minor issues I brought up. Still, it's enough for me to rate this title a 9 rather than a perfect 10. This is an amazing game that I'd recommend to anyone. After playing this and Dust: An Elysian Tale, I'm really high on Microsoft Studios for publishing these games, and the Xbox Live Arcade service for making them possible.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Shenmue II -- Dreamcast (January 9)
Golden Axe Warrior -- Sega Master System (January 19)
Ys I -- Turbo CD (March 22)
Zanac X Zanac -- PS1 (April 7)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 -- Dreamcast (April 30)
Warioware Twisted - Game Boy Advance (May 30)
Wolfenstein 3D - Game Boy Advance (May 31)
Warioware Inc. - Game Boy Advance (June 15)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past - Game Boy Advance (June 25)
Super Mario Advance 2: SMW - Game Boy Advance (June 26)
Command & Conquer - PC (June 28)
Gunstar Heroes - Genesis (July 6)
Call of Duty Finest Hour - GameCube (August 13)
Bomberman '94 - PC Engine (August 17)
Salamander 2 - MAME/Arcade (August 19)
Megaman 7 - SNES (by way of Mega Man Anniversary Collection) (August 17)
Medal of Honor Frontline - GameCube (August 24)
Super Star Shooter - Sharp X68000 (August 30)
Mega Man 8 - PS1 (by way of Mega Man Anniversary Collection (August 31)
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - GameCube (August 31)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault - PC (September 5)
Super Mario Advance - Game Boy Advance (September 7)
*NEW* Call of Duty - PC (September 14)

This is the PC original, none of that crazy modern stuff. Another great FPS. Fortunately, I still have many more to do.
Nice to come back to that again, in a new format.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1-25:
1. Skylanders (360)
2. Sine Mora (XBLA)
3. Afterburner Climax (XBLA)
4. Mass Effect 3 (360)
5. Uncharted 3 (PS3)
6. The Simpsons Arcade (XBLA)
7. Motorstorm RC (Vita)
8. ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
9. Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
10. Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
11. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
12. Journey (PSN)
13. Twisted Metal (PS3)
14. Resistance 3 (PS3)
15. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360)
16. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
17. VVVVVV (3DS)
18. Saints Row: The Third (360)
19. Resident Evil 4 HD (XBLA)
20. Dear Esther (Steam)
21. Ys Seven (PSP)
22. Fez (XBLA)
23. Captain America: Super Soldier (360)
24. Max Payne 3 (360)
25. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)

26. The Darkness II (360)
27. Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (XBLA)
28. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (XBLA)
29. Need For Speed The Run (360)
30. Gravity Rush (PS Vita)
31. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS)
32. Alan Wake (360)
33. Incredible Crisis! (PS1)
34. Espgaluda 2 (360)
35. Akai Katana (360)
36. Sound Shapes (Vita)
37. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
38. Darksiders 2 (360)
39. Botanicula (PC)
40. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360)
41. Battlefield 3 (360)
42. Asura's Wrath (360)
43. Skyrim: Dawnguard (360)
44. Skyrim: Hearthfire (360)

I'm not sure if I can count Hearthfire as an actual game, since there's no real quests or goal, but I did build all my houses and get all the achievements. A lot of collecting, crafting and decorating. I loved it.

Dawnguard was a pretty great little expansion, too. Lots of new enemies, items, weapons and abilities. A lot of new locations, as well.

And now I have these two expansions to thank for the revival of my Skyrim addiction. My game completions might slow down a little until I can kick this habit again...
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't think I can remember but let me try:

1)Arkham assylum (currently playing)
2) Eternal Darkness
3) Resident Evil
4) Dead Space
5) Secret of Mana
6) Dungeon Keeper
7) Cheated with infinity life, completed in 1 settings: Batman & Robin, MegaMan X, Earthworm Jim(reached final stage, couldnt win even with cheats) , ...there were others I cant remember.

I am sure I played more just cant remember, does Temple Run count ? =D
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Stark wrote:8/31 Dear Esther (PC)
I'm not sure I fully understood this game. It is beautiful and the music and narration is definitely very stirring, but I think I didn't quite get the story they were telling me. Part of that is the way it is presented, you move the story along by exploring the environment, and I almost wonder if it would be better if someone released a video that you watched with the perfect order of all of the narration. Still I appreciate what they were going for and love the OST.

Actually, I read that the narrative segments are only sometimes triggered by environmental cues. Other pieces are given out randomly. It's meant to be a primarily nonlinear storyline. The way I see it, the gameplay of Dear Esther is not something you control with your mouse and keyboard, it is a game in your mind. It is the very act of interpreting what this vague narrative means. It is the act of creating theories, of deduction, of filling in the blanks. This is what makes Dear Esther more than just a game of "press W to win!" through a series of pretty set pieces.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Cogs - (Mac)
Sonic Generations - (PS3)
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection - (PS3)
Sonic Unleashed - (PS3)
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - (PS3)
Child of Eden - (PS3)
Rocket Knight - (PSN)
Soldner X 2 : Final Prototype - (PSN)
Outrun Online Arcade - (PSN)
Castlevania - (NES)
Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle - (PSP)
Akumajou Dracula X : Chi no Rondo - (PSP)
Akumajou Dracula X : Gekka no Yasoukyoku - (PSP)
Gradius - (PSP)
Xexex - (PSP)
Akumajou Dracula - Ubawareta Kokuin - (DS)
Christmas Nights - (Saturn)
Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG - (Saturn)
Keito no Kirby - (Wii)
Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets - (Xbox 360)
Mushihimesama Futari - (Xbox 360)
Vampire Savior - (Saturn)
Ghost Trick - (DS)
Guardian Heroes - (Saturn)
New Super Mario Bros - (DS)
Gunstar Heroes - (PSN)
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Renpou vs. Zeon DX - (DC)
Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream - (DC)
Sonic CD - (XBLA)
Bakumatsu Roman Dai ni Maku - (DC)
Super Mario Galaxy - (Wii)
EspGaluda II Black Label - (Xbox 360)
DonPachi - (Saturn)
Darius Burst - (PSP)
Space Puzzle Bobble - (NDS)

Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-Move) 3 - (Saturn)

Man, did I ever love playing this game on the Neo Geo arcade machines as a kid. I think I might be getting a little tired of Puzzle Bobble, though. The music and sound effects are extremely nostalgic, but I think I may have outgrown the game. The "puzzle" elements aren't quite as interesting to me right now, and it becomes outright infuriating when my aim is off and I can't catch a break with the bubble colors I'm getting. Beat the vs mode a couple times, including on one credit. (Which, incidentally, was my lowest score.) Also kicked the "puzzle" mode's butt, got yon dan in the challenge mode, and went through A-C of the collection mode. Totally Puzzle Bobble-d out.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360
Gears of War 3 - 360
The Darkness II - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Shank - PC
Gears of War 2: Road to Ruin DLC - 360
Batman: Arkham City - 360
Batman: Arkham City: Catwoman Bundle Pack DLC - 360
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - PSP
Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 3DS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC
Hard Reset - PC
Heavy Rain - PS3
Brink - PS3
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - PS3
Portal 2 - PC
Serious Sam: The First Encounter - PC
Alan Wake's American Nightmare - PC
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS3
Raskulls - XBLA
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - PC
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD - XBLA
Rage - PC
Max Payne 3 - PC
Sleeping Dogs - PC
I Am Alive - PC
Runaway: A Road Adventure - PC

Total for 2012: 37

Runaway: A Road Adventure
I think this marks the third time I have tried to play through this game. I remember when it came out I was so hungry for a new adventure game that me and my dad (who is an adventure game nut) got right into it. What you find early on is that the game is riddled with adventure game 'donts'.

There are items that you can't pick up until after events happen (So literally after every time you talk to someone, you have to walk around and try picking items up again), you have to pixel hunt to find items that blend into the background, even some inventory items change after an event, you could have looked at it earlier in the game and then did something new looked at it again and found a new item in the original. To top it off a lot of puzzles that not logical (putting peanuts in the sun to melt them (peanuts melt right) to make peanut butter, WTF! It is a pain in the ass and really makes the game more frustrating than it needs to be.

The story is not too bad and the visuals were amazing at launch and still hold up today really well, however if you are like me and don't read walk throughs you are in for a really frustrating play through. I got my old man to play this at the same time I was playing it, so anytime I was, we did it old school with giving each other hints, every time one of us was stuck it was because of pixel hunting, illogical puzzles or because an item we had looked at earlier, now had meaning.

It could have been much better than it was, I have read from reviews that the sequels fix a lot of these problems, I hope so.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

January-June
Bride of Pin*Bot (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - PS3
Super Stardust Delta - Vita
DoDonPachi Resurrection - 360
Bit.Trip Beat - PC
Dear Esther - PC
Wizorb - PC
Sound Shapes - Vita
Infinity Blade - iOS
Infinity Blade II - iOS
Super Star Shooter - X68000
Mortal Kombat (2012) - Vita
Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS
Centipede: Infestation - 3DS
Commando - 7800 *new*

TOTAL: 51

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

Hey a 7800 game! Commando is nicely translated to the 7800 hardware, compromising the sharper graphics of the NES version for much smoother gameplay with no slowdown or sprite flicker. A fun little romp.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

dsheinem wrote:Hey a 7800 game! Commando is nicely translated to the 7800 hardware, compromising the sharper graphics of the NES version for much smoother gameplay with no slowdown or sprite flicker. A fun little romp.

That (and Ikari Warriors) were both great looking 7800 ports. I believe Sculptured Software developed both those games?
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.