1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51-100
51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *
67. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) *
68. Dracula Densetsu II (GB)
69. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) *
70. Super Mario's Picross (SFC)
71. Castlevania (Famicom)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
74. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
75. Castlevania III (Famicom)
76. Super Castlevania IV (SFC) *
77. Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
78. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
81. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
82. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
87. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3)
88. Gain Ground (Genesis)
89. Bonanza Bros. (Genesis)
90. Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
91. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
92. Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2)
93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
94. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
95. Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)
96. Pushmo World (Wii U)
97. Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
98. Stretchmo (3DS)
99. Saru Getchu: Million Monkeys (PS2)
100. Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3)

101. Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku (N64)

102. Breath of Fire (SFC)

While Breath of Fire 2 was a game I had as a kid, the first game is something I'd never tried before. For this month's TR theme of Capcom/Konami games that aren't action games, I was thinking of playing the third game in the series, but I decided to finally get the first game under my belt first before going yet further into the series. It took me about 30-ish hours to beat the Japanese version of the game with the good ending on the Switch Online's Super Famicom service, and while I did use save states and rewinds, it was largely just for saving time to avoid needing to reclimb towers just because I thought an escape window was a door to another room XP

The game starts with the main character, Ryuu, being spoken words of prophecy in a dream only to wake up to his home being on fire and his village under attack by the Dark Dragon Army. His sister turns all the other villagers of the Light Dragon clan (including him) to stone in order to save them from the flames, and sacrifices herself to the commanding general of the Dark Dragon Army, Judas. Ryu, ever the silent protagonist, sets out at the wishes of his village's elders to avenge his sister's sacrifice and to save the world from the clutches of Dark Dragon Army and their emperor Zorgon.

The story is overall very standard and nothing very impressive for 1993. I picked the Japanese version of the game after spending an hour or so with both that and the English version and finding that the Japanese version had more entertainingly written dialogue, but it's still very much "on an adventure to save the world" fare. The fairly large cast of 8 characters (including Ryu) don't have a ton of character between them, with most of the lines being split between Nina, Danku (Karn, in English) and Deis (Blue, in English). The most interesting thing in the story to me was how much of it I could see as early echoes of what would become Breath of Fire 2's much better done character arcs. Karn would be developed into Katt, Ox into Rand, and Gobi into Jean were the most obvious of those. BoF1's story is humorous and generally quite light, which doesn't make it bad, per se, but it does result in fairly unsatisfying set dressing for what ends up being a fairly long game.

The mechanics are fairly simple, even for a JPRG of this era. Characters have normal attacks as well as spells, and that's just about it. Karn has some cool transformation spells he can learn from secret move tutors (they're what would influence the Shaman transformations in BoF2), and Ryu's dragon transformations work a bit differently than they do in the sequel, but there's really not a ton of variety here. BoF1 is quite an unambitious game narratively, and that extends to the mechanics of fighting as well.

The combat itself isn't really well polished, either. The random encounter rate is far too high, and the only saving grace is that most combats can be fairly painlessly solved with just normal attacks, and you also have an auto-attack button you can set that to work with. The bosses aren't really all that powerful either. Especially if you go for the good ending and get Ryu's ultimate dragon form, even the final bosses of the game are pushovers, with the only really tough boss I faced being a big green fishy guy right before you get your dragon forms. Ryu's dragon forms are boss killing machines, but even more than that, it just seemed like my party was always very powerful compared to just about everything I was fighting. It makes the game drag on even more on top of the already fairly meh-writing, and that's before we even mention the poor signposting that plagues this game's pacing as well.

The presentation in the game is quite nice, thankfully. A good portion of the music is pretty forgettable, but a lot of it is pretty darn good, especially the second main battle theme and several of the later town themes. The sprites are also very big and pretty. Breath of Fire 2 has a lot of really pretty big sprites in its isometric battle layouts, and that is something its predecessor doesn't slack on either. In a world where FFV was out but FFVI wasn't yet, BoF1's graphics still manage to hold their own on the SNES despite Capcom's relative unfamiliarity with the RPG genre.

As far as differences between the English and Japanese versions of the game, there aren't really many of note, ultimately. While the character of the dialogue is more entertaining in Japanese, I don't think the actual content of the story is that meaningfully different (other than foreshadowing the final twist a bit more). There are some character name changes, of course, and the art direction of Karn's Japanese counterpart is a prettttty racist black stereotype (the grey skinned, big lipped clan of people whose proficiencies are stealing and disguise was proooobably a good thing to remove in localization ^^;), other than that, things are more or less the same. I saw some claims online of a couple of balance changes around how often enemies can inflict status effects, but I personally experienced none of that. At any rate, I wouldn't say the game particularly needs a retranslation to the degree that BoF2 certainly deserves.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. BoF1's biggest sins ultimately just mean its a bit boring. While I personally like it better than something like FFIV that I played last year, I think a lot of FFIV's faults are a result of the reckless ambition in which it was crafted. BoF1 is a very unambitious game, and that makes for a colorful yet not terribly memorable experience. It's not a bad game by any means, but even among the RPGs just on the SNES, many people will likely find it difficult to stay focused enough with to finish it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2020

Post by dsheinem »

I just want to say that I am psyched that aj played Astro Bot Rescue Mission, the greatest platformer of the 2010s!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51-100
51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *
67. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) *
68. Dracula Densetsu II (GB)
69. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) *
70. Super Mario's Picross (SFC)
71. Castlevania (Famicom)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
74. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
75. Castlevania III (Famicom)
76. Super Castlevania IV (SFC) *
77. Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
78. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
81. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
82. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
87. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3)
88. Gain Ground (Genesis)
89. Bonanza Bros. (Genesis)
90. Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
91. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
92. Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2)
93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
94. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
95. Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)
96. Pushmo World (Wii U)
97. Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
98. Stretchmo (3DS)
99. Saru Getchu: Million Monkeys (PS2)
100. Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3)

101. Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku (N64)
102. Breath of Fire (SFC)

103. Blasphemous (Switch)

This is a Kickstarter-borne Metroidvania I heard a LOT about last year, and seemed to be right up my alley, but I didn't end up picking it up until the winter sale on Switch this year. I'm always one to take joy in playing a new Metroidvania, so I knew this was one I couldn't miss out on. I did nearly 100% of the collectibles and stuff in the game, and it took me a little under 15 hours to do so on the English version of the game.

Blasphemous is a game whose art style and setting are heavily inspired by European Medieval and Renaissance paintings and writings on the nature of hell, the afterlife, penance, and the day of reckoning. The game isn't explicitly Christian in a diegetic sense, but that's clearly where the inspiration comes from. The land of Custodia, and perhaps the entire world, have been ravaged (or blessed?) by a phenomenon called The Miracle for quite some time. They bring divine retribution and penance upon sinners and twist reality and pervert their bodies in order to have them serve out their due punishment. You play the role of The Penitent One, a warrior wielding a blade forged from guilt, whose own penance is to walk the world silently. You embark on a quest whose initial goals are quite unclear, but will ultimately carry you to meet with the biggest names around in the god-forsaken land of Custodia.

The narrative of Blasphemous is, like its mechanics, very much inspired by Dark Souls. The natives of the world have odd, cryptic ways of speaking about things, and every item has a long description to give you little glimpses into the wider lore of the world you're questing in. You'll meet all nature of twisted and strange people along your quest, both friend and foe, whose motives you often only have the vaguest ideas of, but the Penitent One cares little of things that don't relate directly to advancing his quest. The game has a lot to say about the nature of penance and guilt in religious thought (and how it extends to everyday life), as well as just how much of that guilt and punishment is deserved, necessary, and actually even divine.

While the effects of the Miracle are ever present in the world of Custodia, I often found it difficult to take every character at their word regarding how worthwhile their perverse punishments often were, and it makes for a very interesting and intriguing adventure. I really didn't get into the lore of the world very well, but just trying to navigate a world trying to eke out your own semblance of justice and judgment in a universe where divine punishment literally exists everywhere. The game has two endings, and I got them both (first the bad, then the good), and I think they also say interesting things about the nature of sacrifice (especially in the case of the player character). I found the sheer amounts of lore a bit overwhelming, but it's nice that they're tucked away behind a "Lore" button for each item, so you thankfully need not bother yourself with them if you don't want to. I don't really care for these kinds of "hands off" narratives like Soulsborne games tend to do, but I think this game does it pretty darn well.

The mechanics of the game are very Dark Souls inspired, but thankfully a bit more forgiving than that. It's a 2D melee-focused Metroidvania not unlike something like Hollow Knight in how your character wields his sword. You have bonfires you can light and revive at, you have blood vials (estus flasks) which refill at these bonfires and you use to heal yourself when you're out fighting stuff, and you even leave a mark upon death. Thankfully, you don't lose any of your hard earned money (used for buying items and new moves) when you die. Instead, more like Demons Souls, you lose some of your max mana until you go back and retrieve the marker at the place of your death. You actually gain back a lot of health when you grab one too, and I even used them as mid-fight free heals in a couple of the harder boss fights XD

The bosses are all really unique and cool (as are all the enemy designs), but I didn't find the game especially hard. There are about 10 or so bosses in the game, and only 3 of them even killed me once. Blasphemous doesn't have a level-up mechanic, but it does have tons of passive charms you can equip to boost your defense to certain elements or augment your abilities in some other way. Between that and finding more blood vials for more healing, powering up my blood vials for better healing, and finding new spells and max mana/health upgrades, I overall found that I didn't have much fear of dying even as I barely used the parry mechanic. I overall found the level of challenge very satisfying, and you could certainly make the game harder by trying to finish it with less loot, and if that isn't enough for you, you even unlock a harder mode (with more content) after you beat the game once~.

The game is also a little bit of an unconventional Metroidvania in that all of the mobility items you ultimately find are actually optional. Making hidden platforms appear never actually gates your path in any meaningful way, so unlike Hollow Knight where you gradually get more abilities to help you both traverse the world AND fight stuff, this game largely just has you powering up as you explore and fight things. Doing quests for NPCs and finding new items always involved some element of careful platforming and/or killing stuff, and the world is just so well designed that I always wanted to see more of it. This game is definitely focused more around its combat than its exploration, but that definitely isn't a bad thing.

The art design is absolutely stellar. The pixel art is highly detailed and animated to really make the world come to life, especially on larger characters. Seeing all the grotesque things in the game brought to life so deftly really made me wanna uncover every possible path I could to see what cool thing could be behind it. The music is orchestral and slow, and very atmospheric. Not really anything I particularly remember or would wanna put on an MP3 player, but it's all very well done and lends to the game nicely. The game is also a pretty hard M-rating, having a fair bit of nudity and a LOT of blood and gore. Very well animated blood and gore, but blood and gore nonetheless. It's not quite the 2010 Splatterhouse reboot, but the occasional executions your character can do at times are particularly nasty, so I'd at least be ready for that going in.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. This is an absolutely excellent Metroidvania and a must play for fans of the genre. The combat feels great, the bosses are fun and challenging, and the world is beautifully crafted. It's not my favorite Metroidvania of all time (I'd personally rank it just below Iconoclasts), but it's still an excellent game and definitely one of the new greats of the genre.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:101. Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku (N64)

This is another game where I'm not even 100% sure where or how I heard about this thing, but I remember it being described as "Yu-Gi-Oh meets Monopoly with a Ganbare Goemon theme", and like any rational person, I knew I HAD to experience this thing XD.

This sounds a lot like Itadaki Street, which was created by Yuji Horii of Dragon Quest fame. In fact, iirc some form of this was incorporated into Dragon Quest III. Though despite its success in its native Japan, only the Wii title was localized for NA and European markets as Fortune Street and Boom Street, respectively. Though there are some English translation patches out for some of the other games.

There's also Wily and Light's Rockboard, which is pretty much the same idea but set in the Mega Man universe. And the game Top Shop, but that is pretty much 100% Monopoly-like with no fantasy elements.

But for me, the ultimate fantasy-style Monopoly-like title is Culdcept.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

REPO Man wrote:

This is another game where I'm not even 100% sure where or how I heard about this thing, but I remember it being described as "Yu-Gi-Oh meets Monopoly with a Ganbare Goemon theme", and like any rational person, I knew I HAD to experience this thing XD.

This sounds a lot like Itadaki Street, which was created by Yuji Horii of Dragon Quest fame. In fact, iirc some form of this was incorporated into Dragon Quest III. Though despite its success in its native Japan, only the Wii title was localized for NA and European markets as Fortune Street and Boom Street, respectively. Though there are some English translation patches out for some of the other games.

There's also Wily and Light's Rockboard, which is pretty much the same idea but set in the Mega Man universe. And the game Top Shop, but that is pretty much 100% Monopoly-like with no fantasy elements.

Yup! I played Fortune Street a fair bit on the Wii as a kid, and I played Top Shop a fair bit too~. Haven't ever had a chance to try Rockboard or Culdcept yet though.

I played the DQ & FF-version of Itadaki Street earlier this year though. I even reviewed it on this very thread~. It's good fun! Though the sphere-mode seemed complicated enough that I wanted nothing to do with it :lol:
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBOX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)
13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)
14. Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
***15. Skies of Arcadia (SDC)***
16. Dragon Quest V (SNES)
17. Marvel Vs. Capcom (PS1)
***18. Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition (GEN)***
19. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (XBOX)
20. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
21. Flatout 2 (PS2)
22. Mr. Driller (SDC)
23. Blast Corps (N64)
24. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (GCN)
25. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse (PS2)
26. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
27. Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX)
28. River City Ransom (NES)
***29. Wild Arms (PS1)***
30. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (PS2)
***31. Bad News Baseball (NES)***

32. Secret of Mana 2 (SNES)

I beat Secret of Mana 2 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System this afternoon!

I beat Secret of Mana in 2014 and that was my favorite game that I played that year. Last year, I went back and got all the magic and loved it still. I know the game is a bit broken, but the game is such a joy to play that I love every moment of it. I had bought Legend of Mana as well, so I played that a year later and I loved it as well. It took a bit to wrap my head around the game, but once I got it, the game was wonderful. After Legend of Mana, I soon discovered Game Reproductions, which gave me the ability to play Roms on the actual systems. This was a game changer for me as I was finally able to play games that I had missed out on. Earlier this year, somebody was selling a Reproduction Cartridge of Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana and I jumped at the chance. I was so excited to continue in my Mana series.

I would say the best part of the game hits you right when you start the game and that is the graphics. They look amazing and utterly gorgeous. This is some of the best sprite work I have ever seen on the SNES. At the first, I was enjoying myself as it was similar to Secret of Mana. The combat and movement of the game was the same. I love the ability to choose your characters and their classes as that adds an infinite amount of replayability.

It was about a third into the game, right after I had collected all my party members that the game took a sharp turn. The plot of the game has you defeating several Bosses and then you have to defeat several more bosses in the same areas only to fight bosses you've found before in the final dungeon. It's annoying and just turns into a giant boss rush, which is probably the worst part because all of the bosses have way too many hit points. Unless you are over leveled, the game is incredibly hard. During the second part of the game, regular enemies can do special attacks that wipe your entire party in an instant. Magic is basically useless as your regular/special attacks hit harder and faster anyway.

Overall, it has been a long while since I have been so disappointed in a game like Secret of Mana 2. Maybe it was because of my personal high expectations, but I've heard so many people gush about the SNES version. I've heard Trials of Mana is much better, so if you want to play this game, play it that way. This is a hard grindfest for only the hardcores.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

During the second part of the game, regular enemies can do special attacks that wipe your entire party in an instant.

That's actually the biggest screw you in the game; these are triggered by you using full screen techs. You're basically stuck using only level 1 techs to avoid getting wiped by them. Which makes magic useful again, since if you're hitting elemental weaknesses it's much more powerful than regular attacks and level 1 techs.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Okay, that makes more sense. I remember fighting these werewolves when they would jump in the air and just do massive damage to me.

The final few dungeons, I just stopped fighting normal enemies and running from fights. I would then stop around a Gold Statue to level a few levels and then go after the boss.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 80
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)
31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
39. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch)
40. Silent Hill (PS1)
41. Tcheco in the Castle of Lucio (Switch)
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
43. Stories Untold (Switch)
44. Boxboy! + Boxgirl! (Switch)
45. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
46. Cybarian: The Time-Traveling Warrior (Switch)
47. Duck Souls+ (Switch)
48. Daggerhood (Switch)
49. Gravity Duck (Switch)
50. Biolab Wars (Switch)
51. Legends of Amberland (Switch)
52. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger from the Future (Wonderswan)
53. Double Dragon (Game Gear)
54. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
55. SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash (NGPC)
56. SUPERHOT (Switch)
57. Dogurai (Switch)
58. Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Switch)
59. Alchemist’s Castle (Switch)
60. Dear Esther (iOS)
61. Framed 2 (iOS)
62. A Noble Circle (iOS)
63. Lit (iOS)
64. SPL-T (iOS)
65. Florence (iOS)
66. Wurroom (Switch)
67. Warlock’s Tower (iOS)
68. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (iOS)
69. Cally’s Caves 2 (iOS)
70. Paratopic (Switch)
71. Limbo (Switch)
72. INSIDE (Switch)
73. Electronic Super Joy II (Switch)
74. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
75. Haunted Castle (Arcade)
76. Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis)
77. Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U)
78. Phantasy Star III (Genesis)
79. Kirby’s Blowout Blast (3DS)
80. Eqqo (Switch)

81. Bare Knuckle III (Genesis)
82. Landstalker (Genesis)

Finished!

Your heroic deeds will live in our hearts forever.

Are you going going to continue your adventures?

Yes —> No

alienjesus will get the joke there...

Landstalker is an isometric ARPG platformer. It has good graphics, and some aspects of it are compelling. The game would be a lot better, however, if :

(1) The gameplay was more compelling

(2) The combat were the least bit satisfying

(2) The game designers did not troll you constantly

The isometric perspective is bad enough, but so many aspects of this game are designed to be as annoying as possible. (Did you miss a jump because the isometric perspective makes it impossible to judge depth? Too bad! Fight your way back up to the jump again...and again...and again...and again...until, through near random chance you land it.)

If you’re a fan of frustration, I can’t recommend Landstalker highly enough. Everyone else can skip it, though.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
REPO Man wrote:

Yup! I played Fortune Street a fair bit on the Wii as a kid, and I played Top Shop a fair bit too~. Haven't ever had a chance to try Rockboard or Culdcept yet though.

I played the DQ & FF-version of Itadaki Street earlier this year though. I even reviewed it on this very thread~. It's good fun! Though the sphere-mode seemed complicated enough that I wanted nothing to do with it :lol:

I actually still have my copy of Fortune Street, though sadly I never really played it that much. Hopefully Dolphin running on my Larkbox can emulate it. Rockboard is decent, though many people didn't really care for it. And if you have a 3DS, they have a Culdcept title for it. Sadly the 360 Culdcept title was never made available digitally and I don't know if it'll play on the Xbox One or Series X.

And I think I played a fan-translation of the PSP version of the DQ/FF Itadaki Street game ages ago (like back when I was working at Disney World, so... 2013).