Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:...until Monster Boy comes out next month.

:lol:

I make the rules, and spiritual successors don’t count!

Also, I somewhat enjoyed the first Legend of the Dark Witch game. The levels were a chore, but the boss battles were really good. None of that to be found in the sequel, though. (I played Luatic difficulty for a while. The only difference, as far as I could tell, was that he enemies were bullet sponges...making a tedious game even more tedious and no more challenging. No thanks.) Not sure what happened there. The third game is supposed to be the best one; so, I am hopeful it brings the series around.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC
43. Spider-Man - PS4
44. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC
45. Star Control Origins - PC

Back in the day I got an issue of PC Gamer that came with a disk that has 12 classic DOS games on it in full. Amongst them was a little gem called Star Control 2, which was a unique game putting you in charge of a ship as you explore the galaxy, meet alien races, collect minerals, and eventually save humanity. It had the right mixture of quirky humor and solid adventure gameplay, and it was fantastic. So, needless to say, when I heard Stardock purchased the IP from Accolade's bankruptcy and were making a new Star Control game I was over the moon. How does it stack up? In a word; perfectly.

Star Control Origins is set in a different story universe from the original Star Control 1 & 2 (we do not speak of 3). Stardock decided that it would be a mistake to try and follow up on the plot hooks of Star Control 2, so they decided to create their own universe. This gave them the freedom to riff on the existing structure of Star Control 2 while still being their own thing. Now, instead of you being a starship from a hidden colony meeting up with the defeated remnants of humanity you are the first bold step of humanity into the wider galaxy, discovering that the galaxy is not the most friendly place. Amongst the various aliens you will see a lot of stuff that is inspired by things in Star Control 2, but each one is its own thing (except maybe the Arilou analog). These are old sci fi tropes being used, after all.

The gameplay loop is the same; you have a core ship that is highly customizable, and then the ability to carry a fleet with you. You meet up with aliens, solve problems for them, and build alliances. There is a basic idea of what you need to do from the start, but the focused storyline is only found through following breadcrumbs and doing a bunch of side quests. It narrows to a laser focus by the end, and the conclusion leaves them room to have more stories in the universe (and indeed, there is a plan for a season pass of mini expansions to fill in more content). You still get a lot of resources from landing on planets, as well as discovering alien ruins and crashed ships (which you can impress into your fleet).

In terms of additions to the Star Control 2 loop, the planet landings are now on a 3D planet (which both makes them a bit more interesting and a bit more frustrating a times), and they have changed up the nature of hazards. Instead of just random damage tiles that spawn and despawn in the old game, now you have two kinds of hazards. The first is events on the planet such as storm cells, tornados, and active volcanos. These are expected to be avoided by the player. The second is the general properties of the planet; if it's too hot or too poisonous your crew in the lander will die, while if the winds are too strong you won't be able to safely land. These three can be mitigated with lander upgrades. The system ends up being more deterministic than the old style, but at the same time it means you can't be as daredevil and quickly land and take off to get targeted resources/energy signatures.

Another interesting thing that has been added is the minor races. In addition to the main races there are aliens you can encounter who don't get full screen conversation screens, and don't have zones of control. Some of them are restricted to only a couple systems, and they might have small mini quests to give you some resources. It fills out the galaxy a bit more. Alongside that, all the major races have multiple ship types. While you can only use a single type when you ally, they tend to have a suite of ships such as a big ship, a medium ship, a small ship, and some civilian ships. This makes the combat a bit more varied and makes the races a bit better rounded.

The whole thing is just as good a package as Star Control 2 was, and I found it hard to put down. I can't wait for the mini expansions, though I plan on waiting for them all to come out and then binge them.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Ducktales: Remastered
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram
4. Final Fantasy Type-0
5. The King Of Fighters: Neowave
6. Guardian Heroes
7. Puyo Puyo Tetris
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9. Gunstar Heroes
10. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Beat MW just in time to start horror gaming! More on this game later, but I had a great time with it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)

50. Hollow Knight (PC)

I'd heard Hollow Knight was a great game for a good while now. I bought it in a Steam sale some time ago and was just sorta sitting on it because it hadn't been in the mood to play it. I was really in the mood for some more Metroidvania after Timespinner, so I thought why not play this. 28-ish hours later, I do not regret my decision one bit. Hollow Knight deserves its fantastic reputation, because I haven't played a Metroidvania this good in a VERY long time, if I've ever played one this good. The fact that this came out of Kickstarter from an indie team is just crazy to me with just how much there is here and just how well its done.

Design-wise, Hollow Knight lacks a level-up system, which makes it more like a Metroid, but the combat is all melee except for a couple spells (that have very limited mana) making it more like a Castlevania. The map is also HUGE and very non-linear right about after the 2nd area. It gave me a very Symphony of the Night vibe with just how huge and how maze-like the map can be, and definitely gives that game a run for its money in terms of the sheer size and scale of the map (ignoring the upside-down castle, anyhow). There's tons of enemy variety as well, with some having their appearances limited to only one or two rooms despite having their own unique attack animations and everything, which is no easy feat when your art-style is so close to hand-drawn. This is a game with an incredible amount of content for being an indie game or otherwise, and it nails it.

There isn't an auto-map, but instead there's an NPC in each area you go to (almost always quite close to the start, depending on where and how you happened to bumble into the area) you buy a map from. You hold a key to have The Knight look at the map, which also doesn't pause the game. Even looking at your inventory doesn't pause the game, but you have little reason to pause the game for your inventory anyhow as things like managing the charms you can wear can only be done at a save point. You have a certain amount of charm slots (think BP from Paper Mario) to equip your badges with, and they can provide all sorts of modifiers and boons from having money magnetize to you, to being able to heal quicker, hit harder, hit faster, or even seeing your own position on the mini-map :lol: .

The combat and platforming is super tight and feels great. The boss battles are fantastic, and the checkpoints before them are very forgiving and allow for a quick rematch if you suffer a defeat! You have a couple offensive spells, but you also can hold the spell button to stand still for a while and recover some health. You regain mana by hitting enemies with your melee weapon, though, so a pure-spell run just isn't possible. The main meat of the game is your melee weapon, but you can use it as little or as often as you want to. Especially once you get the dash and double-jump, the platforming and dodging you can do in areas and boss fights just gets nuts. The platforming can get pretty damn hard in the later areas just because of how the platforming mechanics work. In addition to your air-jump and forward-dash, if you slash downwards into spikes or an enemy, you get to do another air-jump and dash. This makes for some optional platforming sections that are fiendishly hard, but none of the mandatory ones are THAT mean (If you're going for the first ending, anyhow :P ).

The presentation is beautiful. Lots of somber, very atmospheric tracks combined with some great dramatic boss fight music. The whole setting is all about a kingdom of bugs, so there are tons of little bug fellows to interact with (but mostly fight). The art style is a beautiful hand-drawn aesthetic (although I dont' think it's literally hand-drawn animated like Cup Head). A very Dark Souls approach to narrative, that being a very gloomy but indirect and fairly indirectly told one, adds all of it up to a very unique experience. I've played a lot of Metroidvanias, and none have felt quite like exploring Hollownest.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. While Timespinner is still my favorite narrative in a Metroidvania, Hollow Knight is the best one mechanically I've ever played. It knocks it out of the park and completely deserves the great praise its been given. There are several endings, some of which requiring MUCH more platforming and boss fighting (think how much more game the second caslte in SOTN adds), so you can still see the end credits even if you don't want a crazy hard game. The game is certainly far from easy, but should give a good challenge to even genre veterans near the end. If you like Metroidvanias, this is one you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice to pass up.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Super Mario Land (Game Boy)

I have some major nostalgic glasses for this one. I received it Christmas of 1990. I remember opening it and being so excited. How does it hold up...

Well, I really like the first 2 worlds. The game is different enough that it's a novelty. My rose colored glasses might be present for these 6 levels as these are the areas I played the most as a kid. I usually played in spurts on the go and then just died once I got so far in.

Jump to worlds 3 and 4 (last 6 levels) and the game falls apart in my opinion. The level design takes a dip. There are cheap deaths which normally isn't the case in Mario game. If you die, it is your fault... not due to a hidden falling rock and 2 enemies being placed in one small area. At one point you are battling what looked like jumping regenerating witches to me? The last boss is just crap. I tried working the patterns and attacking it strategically... no go. I beat it by button spamming... from my Mario airplane... yup, the last level is a horizontal shooter akin to TailSpin on NES. I didn't mind these 2 levels in the game (other being a submarine) but it shouldn't have been the final level or boss. Odd design choice there.

I could have sworn I beat this a couple years back, but I didn't remember that last boss or the level design falling apart so bad. Overall, a nice early effort on the GB but don't expect a NES level Mario title.

2018 Games Beaten:
1. Halo: Combat Evolved (oXbox - on original hardware)
2. Kameo: Elements of Power (360)
3. Halo 2 (oXbox game, played upscaled on 360)
4. Dead Rising 2 (360)
5. Halo 3 (360)
6. DOOM (360 XBLM)
7. Halo: Combat Evolved* (oXbox game, played upscaled on 360)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy - emulated)

* Second 2018 play through if noted

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I absolutely love SML. Nostalgia sure. But I love that game. The music, the weird settings, everything. I prefer it over SML2, which I'm fairly sure is an unpopular opinion.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:I absolutely love SML. Nostalgia sure. But I love that game. The music, the weird settings, everything. I prefer it over SML2, which I'm fairly sure is an unpopular opinion.

It's not a bad game... but also not as good as I remembered :lol:. The weird factor is something it has going for it for sure... stupid jumping witches though :evil:

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Keep in mind that I'm also the weirdo whose favorite game of the NES trilogy is SMB2. :shock:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Super Mario Bros. 2 is just phenomenal.

I know the whole "dream world" motif was tacked on for the American release, but the game does have this strange otherworldy vibe that I totally adore. The level progression is excellent. Each world feels like it's building to a grand finale. Stages are big and ripe for exploration, but not in the annoying forced "nonlinear" fashion. Add in the exemplary soundtrack and gorgeous chunky pixel art and you have one of the best games on the NES. One of the best game ever, really.

@Jag

I don't quite agree with you about Land's level design..... but I've also been playing the game regularly since launch, so perhaps a tolerance has been built. I do think the game is pretty generous with post-death respawns in the later stages.

Final boss is undeniably weird though. What's up with the sheep noises?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:Keep in mind that I'm also the weirdo whose favorite game of the NES trilogy is SMB2. :shock:

SMB2 is good. Wait ... the best on the NES!?

@Bonez, good point on mid stage spawn after deaths. I was surprised by this. That dying sheep noise haunted my dreams last night :lol: