Games Beaten 2012

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
geozeldadude
32-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2012

Post by geozeldadude »

twisted is awesome. it's a close second behind smooth moves in my warioware affections.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

geozeldadude wrote:twisted is awesome. it's a close second behind smooth moves in my warioware affections.

Twisted > Mega Microgame$ > Smooth Moves > DIY > The rest, which aren't very good.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

1/21 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
1/23 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
1/31 Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (DLC)
2/5 Blood Stone: 007 (PS3)
2/19 Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (PC)
2/25 Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (NDS)
2/28 Bastion (PC)
3/3 Cave Story+ (PC)
3/5 Puzzle Agent 2 (PC)
3/5 Rochard (PC)
3/31 Journey (PS3)
4/6 Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4/24 Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
5/6 Mass Effect 2 (360)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Overlord (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker (DLC)
5/6 Mass Effect 2: Arrival (DLC)
5/16 Rayman Origins (PSV)
5/28 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (PSV)

Games Beaten = 16
DLC = 6

5/31 flOw (PSP)
After beating thatgamecompany's wonderful Journey earlier this year and loving it, I decided I probably missed out never playing their other games that they've released. Thus, when PSN Plus had both flOw and flower for 50%, I just couldn't resist. I opted for the PSP version of flOw and I don't think it suffered from a translation to a handheld. It's simple in design and the simplicity is it's charm. You have just the thumbstick and a single button with which to play and it's all you need. What I find most fascinating about this game is you can see design that became flower and Journey the ideas behind growth and renewal and peaceful, serene, settings. The game is interesting on its own merits as well and I don't think I enjoyed it any less by not playing it in chronological release. Very, very enjoyable.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP
Journey - PS3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Street Fighter X Tekken - PS3
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Mass Effect 3: From Ashes - 360
Mystic Warriors - Wrath of the Ninja - Arcade (MAME)
Dragon Blaze - Arcade (MAME)
Shadows of the Damned - 360
Arabian Nights (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Driver: San Francisco 360
Skull Girls - PS3
Wolfenstien 3D - iOS
Skull and Crossbones - Arcade (MAME)
Diablo III - PC
Resistance: Burning Skies - Vita *new*

TOTAL: 33

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

This game has been pretty well panned in reviews, and at first it is pretty easy to see why. The first level is horrid, and really the first half of the campaign is full of cliched FPS elements and unimaginative gameplay. The second half, I thought, was much better and offered some memorable set pieces and challenging boss fights. It is probably the low point in the Resistance series, but I'd lean towards a 7/10 or so if I was forced to score it.

One thing I can say about it that I shouldn't have had to: it takes some time to get used to/comfortable with the controls. The requisite use of the touch screen for alt fire, melee, for opening doors, and the awkward running input options very much reminded me that I was playing a handheld FPS. Even if it is the first with a dual analog and controls better than any previous portable FPS, it hasn't yet shed it's hardware constraints. Hopefully future FPS titles will do better.

Oh, and one very interesting/troubling part about the story:
The whole goal of the game is to save your wife and daughter, yet the entire campaign is full of all these weird moments of relationship tension/mutual attraction between you and your female NPC companion. It doesn't so much make the player seem like a "jump on anything that moves" douchebag as it does to suggest he might not really care about saving his wife, or that their relationship is strained. In retrospect, it seems that the designers may have overplayed their hand in preparing you for...

(another big spoiler)
...putting your wife out of her misery in the last mission of the game...

...but in any case it gave me an uncomfortable feeling throughout my playthrough.

In any case, it was an instance of a game making me have the kind of emotional quandry I am not used to finding in any game, let alone in an FPS. It proved to sustain my interest in the story much more than the standard "kill all Chimera" and/or "save these people" elements that were foregrounded from objective to objective.
pankakes123
64-bit

Post by pankakes123 »

Just beat Enslaved and Singularity this week. Working on Fable 2 now.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
2. The Ball (PC)
3. Tyrian 2000 (PC)
4. Shogo - Mobile Armor Division (PC)
5. Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
6. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
7. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
8. Abobo's Big Adventure (PC)
9. Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye (SNES)
10. Castlevania 64 (N64)
11. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)

The second of my summer challenge that I have beaten, Donkey Kong Country 3 offers much the same as the two previous installments: good music, interesting graphics, and at times challenging gameplay. The world is a lot more open this time, showing a precursor to the direction that 3D platformers would take: at multiple points, multiple worlds are available to the player, though he might not realize that. And also like its two predecessors, DKC3 features an ending and then lots of collectables for the "real" ending, though getting there is a considerable challenge when compared to just running through the game. I'm counting this beaten because I made it to the first ending, though I have about 90% completed in the game and do plan on going for the rest.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/2 Cannon Spike (DC)
1/9 Mega Man X4 (GCN)
1/17 Psycho Soldier (PSN)
1/22 Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade (PC)
1/28 Police 911 2 (Arcade)
2/7 Soul Calibur V (PS3)
2/26 Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition (PS3)
3/7 Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
4/14 Sonic CD (PSN)
5/3 Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3 (Wii)
6/3 Metroid Prime (Wii)

Oh man, I have grown to love Metroid Prime over the years. It was one of those games that I probably bought and sold a dozen times over back in the day, just because I WANTED to like it but could not get into it. But then they added the controls from Metroid Prime 3 and I fell in love.

This should lead me into Metroid Prime 2 for the Summer Challenge but I think I might need to break it up a bit. Prime 1 is kind of a challenge to get through, even on my third complete run.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MasonB15
24-bit

Post by MasonB15 »

Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda - NES
D - 3DO
Contra - NES
Ninja Gaiden - NES
Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
Super Mario Bros. 2 - NES
Metal Storm - NES
River City Ransom - NES
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
VVVVVV - PC
Portal 2 - PC
Cave Story - PC (Steam Version)
Dark Souls - PS3
Rocket Knight Adventures - Genesis
Actraiser - SNES
Conker's Bad Fur Day - N64
Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood - PCE

Cave Story - Really fun. I'm surprised I hadn't played this before now. Anyone who likes Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night should give this one a shot. I'll probably revisit it sometime, as this game has multiple endings.
Dark Souls - It's hard. It's fun. I love it. Probably my favorite game of this generation.
Rocket Knight Adventures - My friend had this when I was a little kid. I picked up my own copy a few years ago, but finally sit down and played through the game. I'm really bad at this one, but I still love it.
Actraiser - I remember playing this years ago and hating it. I'm glad I've seen the error of my ways. Truly a phenomenal and unique game, and I'm not typically a fan of strategy/sim/city building games.
Conker's Bad Fur Day - I'm not sure what to think of this one. On one hand, it's hilarious, and it has its moments of gaming gold. On the other, it is very frustrating, and I found the controls to be very poor (at least, compared to Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie). I'd say that this game is slightly overrated, but still fun.
Dracula X - Pure gaming perfection. Yeah, I said it. Castlevania fans, go find a way to play this. Now.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

All Games:
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered - iOS
Tiki Towers 2 - iOS
inFAMOUS - PS3
The Blackwell Legacy - PC
Blackwell Unbound - PC
The Blackwell Convergence - PC
Blackwell Deception - PC
The Secret of Grisly Manor - iOS
Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
Skate 3 - 360
Gears of War 3 - 360
The Darkness II - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Shank - PC
Gears of War 2: Road to Ruin DLC - 360
Batman: Arkham City - 360
Batman: Arkham City: Catwoman Bundle Pack DLC - 360
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - PSP
Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 3DS
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PC
Hard Reset - PC
Heavy Rain - PS3
Brink - PS3
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - PS3
Portal 2 - PC
Serious Sam: The First Encounter - PC
Alan Wake's American Nightmare - PC

Total for 2012: 28

Brink / Heavy Rain / Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - PS3

Portal 2 - PC
I had already finished Portal 2 (Both single player and co-op) on the Xbox, but when the update was released for custom maps I had to pick up the Steam copy, I ended up playing through the single player again. Such a good game.

Serious Sam: The First Encounter - PC
This was the classic, not the HD remake. After playing Hard Reset I was in the mood for more 'old school' shooting, I had never finished Serious Sam before and it was quite enjoyable.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - PC
This was a let down. I enjoyed the original quite a lot, all this did was take the originals gameplay, pretty much remove any interesting story telling and make you play through the same three times (as part of that 'lets change history' kind of thing), but it it does is make the game feel repetitive and lazy.
Reverend
Next-Gen

Post by Reverend »

I've missed this place.

I just completed the Visual Novel/Escape The Room game 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. This includes all six of the endings. I have to say, the that one was a doozy. The story was intricate, all the characters relatively well developed, and the puzzles fun. There really wasn't any challenge and I've played better flash escape the room games, but the visual novel aspects of the game is really where it shines.