15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC

So The White March Part I is the first of two story DLCs for Pillars of Eternity. It was released after I beat the base game, so I never got around to playing them. With Pillars II coming out on Tuesday I figured now was the time to go for it. And so far it's been a nice way to spend some time and get used to the game systems again.

The White March DLC is set north of the main area of Pillars, in the frozen mountains of the titular White March. When you first join the game looks at your level, and if you have end game levels (as I did) it will give you the chance to put the enemies in hard mode; they'll get more something that makes them tougher if you want that challenge. The game is very clear that you won't get any additional experience or treasure for doing so, so it's entirely up to you. One thing I've noticed with RPG DLC is that it tends to be sized for people who come late to the game and do it midway through their playthrough. Seeing this available as an option for end game people was nice (though since I'm just trying to blow through it I let the game keep the lower level enemies; they're still a threat).

The basic plot is that the town of Stalwart has put out a call for adventurers; they want someone to open the gates and restart the legendary forges of the old dwarf fortress known as Durgan's Battery. The Battery was famed for the quality of its steel, and they feel they need access to that to revitalize their town. You answer the call, and set off. Initially, you need to figure out how to get in. Once you do, you have a three level dungeon to explore, with you discovering what happened to the dwarves that made the fortress go silent. The whole thing isn't terribly long; I'd call it less than 10 hours. There's some side quests available, including at least one related to one of the two new companions available. She's got an interesting story; her soul was ripped from her body and implanted in a bronze suit of armor, and she's none too happy about it. And she wasn't the nicest person beforehand.

The DLC also has some quests back in the regular area of the game. One is related to some poppinjay who wants to take your stronghold from you. The other is you breaking into a mercenary camp and murdering everyone to keep them from attacking a wizard or something, but they're also shockingly high level. I'd recommend waiting until after you do the second half of the DLC and gain a couple levels. The DLC ends with some foreshadowing of more sinister things that are set in motion once you get the forge going.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Sload Soap Sat May 05, 2018 10:13 pm

The 3D Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

Like many people, instead of paying £40 for the fun but sparse Sea of Thieves I opted to sign up for Microsoft's Gamepass service, a sort of Netflix for games. After beating another recent Xbox exclusive, Super Lucky's Tale (lot of fun and perfect for kids) I had a peruse of the service and saw that Ninja Gaiden Black was part of the package. I had never previously beat Ninja Gaiden (cos it's hard) despite owning both the OG and Black versions for the Xbox so I decided that now that I have beat all the Soulsbourne games, and am therefore obviously now OP at all videogames, I would give it another go.

Ninja Gaiden Black is kind of a masterpiece. It's got this incredibly precise but also very intuitive combat system that underpins what is possibly the 6th gens best 3D action game. I like Devil May Cry and God of War a decent amount but Ryu in NGB feels so much slicker than Dante, his attacks so much more visceral than even Kratos' tantrums. Being able to combine wall running, magic attacks, lightning fast counters, multiple weapon types and throws makes each fight flow differently and having enemies that will punish you and punish you hard gives combat a real edge.

While NGB sets the standard for how the series would handle combat it is an outlier in terms of level design. While the game is split into 15 or so chapters, once the first 3 are cleared and Ryu lands in Vigoor (a country that is a mix of Russian, Turkish and Egyptian architecture with a dash of black magic thrown in) the levels start to crossover and intertwine with one another. A boss defeated in level 8 for example crashes through the floor creating a path to next level but also a shortcut to previous areas should you be willing to backtrack.

This isn't to say the game is openworld it just has this interesting criss-crossing aspect I really enjoyed. Level design still manages to be both mechanically and superficially diverse even under these conditions which is a massive credit to Team Ninja's ability as developers.

Indeed the whole product is incredibly polished and along with Panzer Dragoon Orta and Project Gotham Racing 2 ranks among the very top tier of the Xbox's 3rd party games. The cutscenes, while nonsense, are well animated, the music is low key but effective and the graphics have that lovely Japanese 3D sheen, the sort you get in games further down the line like NG2 but also Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish.

It's top end stuff basically and even the frequently obnoxious camera can't ruin proceedings. I love how NGB keeps setting up incredibly cool set pieces while being as daft as a brush in the fashion of 8bit games. Ryu's world is as mentioned a bizarre but believable mix of Soviet era military hardware and Onimusha style Japanese demons. His enemies run the gamut between standard army dudes to full on demons, with ghosts, tanks and dragon skeletons inbetween. Bonkers stuff but never dull and full of amazing bosses most of whom probably weren't matched (for my money) until Platinum and Fromsoft upped the ante last gen.

Next up Ninja Gaiden 2. I played the vanilla 360 edition as I had read around and took it to be both the fans and series head Tomonobu Itagaki's preferred version.

NG2 takes everything that made NG1 great and adds a big dollop of glorious, delirious violence. Not content with merely cutting his foes down, Ryu can now dismember them first with limbs and blood flying with every attack. The action is so violent it ends up being darkly comic especially the frequent sight of an enemy down an arm and a leg, staggering forward, Monty Python style, to attack you. Of course you have to do the merciful thing and grant them the kindness of either removing their head or bludgeoning them so hard they explode into red mist and gristle.

NG2 also ups the rate in which you engage the enemy so things do get much more frantic than in NGB which had fewer but tougher encounters. To compensate for this increase in carnage, NG2's health system is similar to that of a fighting game where your health bar can be depleted but will refill once you defeat your enemy. However taking a particularly nasty hit or too many in quick succession will turn part of the bar red. The more red, the less you refill after battle, at which point a healing item can be used (now handily mapped to the D-pad) although to add another layer, using a herb will heal a set amount of the full bar not just red health. It's a good compromise that I imagine makes some fans feel the game is too easy, which it does seems at first, but if it wasn't there and with the massive increase of enemies (you'll likely have cut your way through more people by chapter 4 than you did in the entirety of the original) I think it's more than necessary.

The game also has a pretty berserk storyline featuring demons, ninja and the military, taking Ryu to a futuristic Tokyo, werewolf infested Venice, demonic Amazonian ruins and finally literal hell all of which are incredibly well rendered and presented. The semi-open world of NGB has been dropped in favour of a more traditional level-boss-level structure but it isn't to the game's detriment.

In many ways Ninja Gaiden 2 is the perfect sequel and I imagine a lot of people will prefer it to the original. I don't include myself in that camp however as I preferred the harsher but more intimate battles of NGB and its level structure. NG2 teeters to close to too much of a good thing for my taste and the swarms of enemies can make the game feel less precise and more like a God of War style hack and slash.

Speaking of, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge basically is what NG2 threatened to become plus a whole heap of superfluous western style game design thrown in to keep us gaijin happy. Bet you never thought you'd see a turret section in a Ninja Gaiden game, did you?

NG3 is weird from the get go. Right away combat felt less tight, button presses feeling just a fraction off. You can adjust to it and I did but I was instantly reminded of Arkham Origins' combat and how it looked like Asylum, it had the same flow but things were just ever so slightly looser. There is a new mechanic called Steel on Bone which seems to let you string obliteration moves but I never really got a grasp on how or when it is activated and it's one of the few things the game doesn't harass you about in its almost constant stream of pop-up hints.

Razor's Edge plays mostly like NG2 with dismemberment and obliteration attacks being your bread and butter although for some reason Team Ninja decided to lock some essential techniques like the counter and guillotine throw behind a pointless RPG style skill tree. As a result NG3 has a very uneven difficulty level with some bosses and areas in the earlier parts of the game being much harder than those later on purely because you are less well equipped to handle them. It's kind a big fuck up really and along with removing healing items and an even more constant barrage of enemies, it makes NG3 hard for all the wrong reasons.

You then add on top of that an emphasis on story via cutscenes, characters talking to Ryu during missions a la Gears of War, enemies and locations leaning more heavily towards military or real world, an abundance of QTE's and it feels like a western made game in the vein of Lords Of Shadow or the Bionic Commando reboot.

I did however enjoy both Lords Of Shadow and Wife-Arm Commando and despite its obvious pandering to the western market (even the loading screens ape COD's presentation) and looser combat, NG3 is really not all that bad. I'd put it around the same tier as something like Dante's Inferno, nothing earth shaking but a decent way to spend a weekend and with enough pretty scenery and memorable moments (Cyborg T-Rex anyone?) to be satisfying.

All in all the 3D Ninja Gaiden games are like the 2D installments, the first two being exemplars in their genres with it being a case of preference of which you enjoy most, while the third is a somewhat bloated and disappointing but not a wholly bad affair.

I'm going to try and fit the 2D games in between bouts of Morrowind and Shining the Holy Ark for TR. Can anyone recommend the DS game? I've read good things but I trust you guys opinion more TBH.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 pm

You played those back to back? That's impressive. I'm glad you enjoyed Razor's Edge, I thought it was pretty dang solid honestly. I know the original NG3 is supposedly terrible but I didn't expect much from Razor's Edge either... I was surprised though. Still better than other action games out there to me. And I'm glad you played Black, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is terrible in my book. But then there's 2... I've only played Sigma 2 so far and it sounds like there's significant game balancing changes and whatnot, so it's not just the removal of gore or some (lame) additional levels with some of the female characters. I enjoyed it but actually liked Razor's Edge more. I have a copy of the 360 original now though so I'll have to see how that is in comparison.

A word of caution... do not spend a penny on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. I wanted to give it a fair shot but it's one of the worst games I've ever played by far. Not a good track record, lol.

Nioh is different but Ninja Gaiden's blood is definitely in its veins and a nice return to form for Team Ninja.
Last edited by Xeogred on Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 pm

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC

So the second part of the DLC story is about the fallout of you opening up the legendary forge of Durgan's Battery. It's much more straightforward than the last one, as each quest immediately sends you to the area in question where you need to get to some central area and move the plot forward. You can do this by murdering everything in your way, or you can be more sneaky about it, which is kind of neat. Unfortunately, overall it just isn't as enjoyable as the original. The focus on bad guy to bad guy is less interesting then the ruin diving of the first one, and there are some enemies that are hard for bad reasons (they can just randomly delete one of your characters if they feel like using a particular ability). It's worth doing if you've already done the first part, but it's too bad that they end on a lesser note.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sun May 06, 2018 9:21 am

39. Space Manbow (w/ Fixes Hack) (MSX)

The other best shooter on the MSX, and this hack mostly smooths out the technical issues of the original (which weren't that big to begin with). It's also quite forgiving for an old shoot 'em up. It didn't quite blow me away as it feels a lot like a mix of Gradius and R-Type, and the weapon system isn't that interesting besides the gun drone formations. Still a must play if you want to explore the MSX library though.

40. Super Cooks (MSX) (click for full reviews)

Super Cooks is to Golvellius what Parodius is to Gradius, pretty much; it keeps the gameplay but wraps everything up in a cooking theme, with some unrelated visual gags thrown in like the Skriet painting character being an enemy/npc later on. For what's basically a spoof/spinoff thing (I think it had a short development time considering its brevity) what's really cool is that there are also some gameplay improvements here and there and an enlarged weapon arsenal, with each weapon also having an additional special attack taught by an NPC in each area. Unfortunately, the experience felt gimped due to the fan translation being even worse than the Shin Maou Golvellius one, and even messing with some of the enemy AI (spawning points are a bit glitchy making enemies always spawn from the first spot when you enter a screen). The other big issue I had was the linearity - it takes the Shin Maou approach but makes progression even stricter and this leads to unnecessary wandering around and backtracking. You shouldn't skip it if you're into Golvellius or other early action adventure games, but you might want to wait for an update to that translation.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Sun May 13, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 06, 2018 11:33 am

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
Moon Patrol was the first big hit for game developer Irem. A technologically revolutionary title, Moon Patrol soon received a deluge of ports on all the requisite second-gen systems. Amusingly, the game later appeared on a couple of late-90s Midway compilations as well, as that company held the North American arcade distribution rights. After decades of radio silence, Moon Patrol has returned once again, on the Nintendo Switch eShop, as part of Hamster's Arcade Archives series.
While most platformers of the era where single-screeners, Moon Patrol is a horizontal (auto-)side-scroller. Moreover, the game features one of the first examples of parallax scrolling. Simply put, this means that the stage backgrounds scroll by slower than the foreground images, creating a sort of "3D" depth illusion. The visuals are absolutely breathtaking for '82 standards, boasting some intricately crafted moonscape environments. The player takes control of a moon buggy, a large fluid sprite whose three (visible) wheels continuously bump along to the rhythmic bars of the game's singular bassy funk beat.

This moon only contains two stages, though both are lengthy and the second one will loop indefinitely (for score-chasing). The buggy is equipped with two cannons, and can fire up and to the right simultaneously. It can also jump! This moon is rife with hazards. First are those of the environmental variety: rocks of varying size, landmines, and craters. Crashing into a crater is rather hilarious. These are true trenches, not bottomless pits à la Mario, and when you graze the edge of one there's a sort of "gravitational pull" as the buggy careens down in and subsequently explodes on impact. Glorious. Then come the sentient enemies (the "toughest thugs in the galaxy" according to game lore). First are the malevolent spaceships that appear from the screen's left side. While most fire standard projectiles a few wily ones will drop bombs that form additional craters. There are also evil moon cars that try to ram the buggy from behind; these are especially tricky to contend with as they can't be shot.
Success in this game is predicated on proper timing and, well, a modicum of stage memorization. While the buggy can't be stopped it can be slowed or accelerated with the d-pad. There's a slight delay while firing, so at times jumping over the grounded foes is preferable. It's also about locking into that groove -- ascertaining the proper speed for a given area, and knowing when it's timely to hop and/or fire. Expect to fail, frequently. Fortunately, and surprisingly, the game is incredibly generous with providing additional lives. Continues are unlimited, rare for a game of this genre and age, and checkpoints (named after letters of the alphabet) appear frequently. Theoretically, even folks who are terrible at the video games (oh hi there) can see this one through via credit-feeding, though frequent continuing will decimate any hopes of a decent high score. This Switch version features online leaderboards, as well as a bunch of additional options, if you're into that sort of thing.

Overall, boss game. Simple to learn, hard to master, great controls, fair difficulty, and enormous mechanical and aesthetic innovation. An essential Golden Age experience.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Games Beaten 2018

Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2
Far Cry 5 - PS4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy - PS4 *new*
Soul Calibur 2 - GCN *new*
God of War (2018) - PS4 *new*

Total: 30

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I had never beat SC2 as Link, now I have.

I remember a few moments while playing Uncharted: Lost Legacy where I thought to myself, "Wow! This is even better looking than Horizon: Zero Dawn -- I don't think there will be a PS4 game to surpass this." Then I played God of War, and my jaw dropped. The game is absolutely stunning, immersive as fuck, and completely deserving of all the accolades it is receiving. I have played every game in the series (including portable titles), and it would be hard to argue that this isn't the best game in the series. I think it is fair to say that this game does for "God of War" as a marquee franchise what "Breath of the Wild" did for Zelda as a marquee franchise.

The only thing I can quibble with is that the difficulty never hits quite the same level of challenge during the required campaign content as the previous entries in the series have. It gets close, but this one is definitely a bit friendlier to the RPG/non-twitch combat crowd. That isn't to say the combat lacks, and there are post-game challenges that are punishing as you might want, and anyone who plays this, whether they be an old fan or a newcomer, is going to find a lot here to like. This is arguably the best game on a system that already has a remarkable number of standouts...
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)

* = replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMpSL6GS2w

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Immaculate. Retro GOTY. Good luck topping this one.

Anyone who likes the SNES in general absolutely must play this. It is yet another Square Soft produced masterpiece. I clocked in close to 17 hours on it and the customization is pretty high for how you want to customize your mecha and playstyle. The gameplay, graphics, OST, story/characters, controls, everything is high caliber and extremely polished. I don't think it surpasses my nostalgic Square Soft favorites, but it may as well be the new gatekeeper to that upper echelon of gems for me. I think from here on anytime I start talking them up or how magical some of those SNES OST's are, Gun Hazard will be in the conversations going forward. One thing I have to say is that the graphics and color palette in particular really blew me away, I'd say the color palette is most similar to Chrono Trigger (which some Square devs at the time described their goal on CT to look like something in between the bright colorful Secret of Mana and the grittier darker look of FF6). The level variety was really unexpected and mesmerizing. Looks like I took 116 screenshots while playing this. But it's a double whammy of looking gorgeous topped off with an S rank OST, the vibe was just incredible. I was losing my breath a bit in the final stretch and while the credits rolled, in a... wow that was a journey kind of way.
Last edited by Xeogred on Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 pm

^ That game totally slays and bones brah.

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)

1984 was an "off year" for console gaming. The great video game crash had just occurred a year prior, and the NES didn't arrive until the fall of '85. What did manage to trickle out during this downtime consisted of a smattering of johnny-come-lately ports and some oddball exclusives. One such exclusive was Gremlins for the Atari 2600, developed by Atari themselves, and based on the hit film of the same name. Note that this game only appeared on the 2600, and is now quite rare (it's the most valuable game in my Atari collection by an absolutely huge margin). The Gremlins that appeared on the 5200 and home computers is a completely different game -- a completely different game that happens to share the same title, developer, and cover art as this one. How convenient.
Gremlins 2600 consists of two alternating gameplay styles which should immediately feel familiar to anyone who's acquainted with second-gen gaming. First, there are stages modeled directly after Kaboom!. Here batches of mogwai leap from a house's roof, attempting to eat burgers that for some reason appear to be located outside on the driveway. It's up to Billy(?) to catch the mogwai before all the grub is eaten. The controls here are actually pretty competent, even though Gremlins uses the standard joystick rather than paddle controllers. Even-numbered stages see a shift to the "fixed shooter" genre. Gremlins hatch at the screen's top and come toddling towards Billy; he is capable of moving horizontally and shooting directly upwards at the creatures. Gameplay suffers a bit here, as aiming the projectiles is far harder than it needs to be. The game's difficulty actually caps pretty quickly; around stage eight or so Gremlins just keeps looping the same areas. After that it's just a test of endurance and a chase for a high score. Graphics are sufficient, the fact that there's a title screen is something of a highlight. No music, but the constant rhythmic sound effects are actually kind of infectious.
This is a game that exists. That's about it. It's playable and there's nothing offensively bad about it, but nothing stands out in any capacity. Those who are seeking a game like Kaboom! should, well, play Kaboom!. And there are many quality fixed shooters on the 2600, including the likes of Space Invaders, Phoenix, Gorf, and Galaxian. Ultimately, Gremlins is more of historical oddity than anything else. Significantly worse than the games it clearly apes, I'd only recommend it to collectors.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 am

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
31. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)

* = replay

It was more like 3:30 outside the in-game clock. I did reference a map here and there (not a huge fan of Area 3!) I love how dreary and strange the final stretch is. AM2R got that right and Samus Returns did not. Overall this was an amazing experience and I'm glad to have finally conquered this version. Took me a few attempts at the Mother Queen to figure it out in this one and had to grind twice or so at a few points for some health and missiles, but otherwise it was smooth sailing. A bit weird how free form the beams are in this one in that you can swap them around at a few points kind of like the ice beam in the original Metroid. As always you do need an ice beam at the end to handle the normal classic Metroid's, to which there is a Chozo statue with it near the end. Plasma beam seemed weird, Wave is always awesome, but I really dug the Spazer in this. The Zeta Metroid's were the hardest for me, you only fight a few of those though. One of them was in some quick sand like spot that was pretty tough. I don't totally miss the Spider Ball in Super Metroid but both AM2R and Samus Returns did some cool things with it.

The DX color hack is totally worth it but there is a red flag:
https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3367/#review
"When you have 16 metroids left, and your going to kill the 16th metroid, the game will crash as you move up the room right before the room with the 16th metroid. I’ve tested this glitch with two different ROMs. So the only way to get around this is to play the hacked ROM up to the point of the crash, save, then use the original vanilla ROM, to kill the 16th metroid, save and then return to using the hacked ROM."

This happened in my run too. So I quick saved before this area, then loaded up an unhacked rom of the game and quick loaded my save to finish that part. Quick save then load up the colored rom hack again. However when I quick loaded the graphics and colors were messed up. I had to backtrack to an in-game save point and then reset the game via emulator. This re-loaded all the colors and everything correctly. It was worth the small hassle!
Return to General Gaming