Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Ack Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 pm

1. Jungle Book (SNES)(Platformer)
2. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)(Light Gun Shooter)
3. Might and Magic VI (PC)(RPG)
4. Revenant (PC)(RPG)
5. Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)(Sports)
6. Fatal Fury: First Contact (NGPC)(Fighter)
7. Pac-Man (NGPC)(Action)

8. Golden Axe (Genesis)(Hack and Slash)
9. Blood and Bacon (PC)(FPS)
10. Gain Ground (Genesis)(Strategy)

11. Flicky (Genesis)(Platformer)
12. Zombie Shooter 2 (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
13. Phantasmagoria (PC)(Point and Click)
14. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - Capcom Version (NGPC)(Card Game)
15. Toonstruck (PC)(Point and Click)
16. Riven (PC)(Point and Click)

I've reached a point in my gaming where I don't have any real white whales left; most of what I struggled with as a child or teenager, I have since returned to and bested. The biggest titles on this list were many SNES RPGs and Silent Hill, but Riven does fall into this category, I suppose. I originally played it when it came out, but with so many CDs to swap between and considerably less experience with the genre, I came nowhere near to finishing it.

This has now changed, thanks in part to the selection of FMV games for this month's Together Retro. I have returned to Riven. Returned and conquered. And it was so worth the trip. Objectively, I found the game more difficult than Myst III, but not terribly so. In fact, I'd argue Riven is perhaps one of the best designed point and click games I have ever played, because it never relies on strange logic or mixing object A with switch B. No, instead Riven has a tiny inventory, so most of its puzzles come down to taking notes, thinking things through, and focusing on the way the world works. It is a game that benefits from thinking as if you really were in its world. Write down what you learn and think things through, and all doors shall be open to you.

That isn't to say it is perfect. Riven relies heavily on sound in a few places, so if you have any issues with hearing, you may be in trouble. It also sometimes requires you hunt for switches you did not know were there, and the two biggest puzzles of the game build up from nearly the beginning, so if you don't pay attention, you may have to backtrack a lot. Nowadays that is much easier with the GOG release, but doing it across multiple CDs would have proven to be a massive pain in the ass.

I cannot day for sure whether I prefer this to Myst. I prefer Riven's cohesion and world building, but there are a couple of ages in Myst I adore more than the somewhat barren islands that Riven provides. There were lush forests, strange caves, and all manner of varieties of style in Myst, while Riven has its buildings, sand, and crater lakes. I guess I hold them in roughly equal esteem. I would happily suggest Riven to anyone playing Myst, though play Myst first.

Yet another game from my childhood is done. I feel a small piece of me has found a sense of inner peace.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Finished Mystic Formula on the Duo. I remember Ex beating this earlier this year (or late last year).

I want to start on a positive note and say the cutscenes looked really cool. Well drawn, great '90s-looking anime.

Gameplay itself feels aggressively average, however. I mean, it certainly isn't a bad game at all. It just feels like it needed a little more punch in spots. Some backgrounds look okay for a bit, but there are long, long stretches where the backdrops look rather bland. Enemies are fairly limited, and most can be taken out with deft maneuvering. Audio could really stand to have some more punch. Music, explosions, the works. Games like this work better with bombast!

One of the nice things about the game is the ability to strafe. Holding the I button will let you do so, and holding down your fire button will emit a continuous stream of fire. That shot is weak, though; if you wait a bit longer, you can unload a stronger shot. Depending on the character of choice, this will do different things. I only used the robot and the thief girl. The 'bot was the easiest to use since he has a homing shot, and his strafe shot has some decent width even when not powered up.

Powering up actually takes a slightly different form; the P icon actually powers up your strafe shot, not so much the charged one, from what I can tell. If you can get that powered up, you'll slice through enemies quickly. Even without it, veterans of run-and-gun shooters won't have too much trouble with the game. That might be one of the bigger drawbacks (or boons, depending on your point of view) from the game: it's just a tad too easy. Perhaps Hard mode would help in this regard.

Don't expect the game to last long. Even if you Game Over a few times, I figure a decent player will finish in an hour or less, and that's including watching all the cutscenes. I'd probably give this one a 6.5. Decent, pushing towards good, but really lacks that something special to vault it into the company of things like Mercs or Shock Troopers.

EDIT: So I realized that maybe jacking up my continues and lives helped a lot. I dropped those, and... nah, still mostly easy. The only really tricky bits are the jet bike segments; those hit-boxes are terrible! I also discovered that the blue guy's weapon is ridiculously powerful. It tore through the final boss like tissue. Not saying I didn't have to continue several times (I did burn through all of them), but most of the lives lost were either on the bikes or pure carelessness on my part in the last stage. Turns out overconfidence is a killer, too. Much like Contra, often the best course of action is to keep moving forward! Especially when it comes to infinitely respawning enemies with erratic patterns, like those stupid bats.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC

So I finally closed on the house and yesterday I found the cords for my computer, so I decided to celebrate by knocking out a Metroidvania before Battletech hits on Tuesday. I first saw Guacamelee in a Games Done Quick, and I was intrigued enough to pick it up when it was on sale. The game is definitely more combat focused rather than exploration focused; the main Metroidvania pieces are in the acquiring of movement abilities and using those to progress past the most recent barrier. The map is more straightforward than you see in other Metroidvanias, so the challenge comes from the combat and some of the sections involving your movement abilities.

Guacamelee is a luchador themed game set in a Mexico-esque land. Right before the Dia de Muertos some shit goes down, a bad guy steals your love interest and sends you to the land of the dead. While there you find a luchador mask and transform into our hero. You then need to chase after the bad guy who plans to use your love interest in a ritual to merge the living and dead worlds and rule them all. Along the way are some quirky minibosses and a whole lot of wrestling action.

The main draw of the game, besides the really well done stylized art style, is the combat system. All your attack are melee, and you start by being able to punch dudes and then grapple them once they've been stunned; this lets you throw them into other enemies or do moves like a suplex or piledriver. Later on you gain more moves; these serve as your ways of unlocking content. You get a rising uppercut, a headbutt, a ground pound, and a dashing kick. You can string all these together in a variety of combos, and taking advantage of that is important. Many times you will be locked in a room with a bunch of guys and you can't get out until you defeat them all. The special moves also cost a resource that regenerates, and you have a roll for escaping.

The game has a good flow to its movement, though as the game gets on it starts to fall victim to a flaw I've noticed with Metroidvanias that go deep into movement abilities; gating the main content behind precise application of abilities at precise times. We also saw this in Ori and the Blind Forest. Now, I think this is entirely appropriate for 100% completion, but the main game shouldn't put you in a position of banging your head for 15 minutes trying to get the exact sequence of inputs to get past this particular obstacle.

There's not a whole lot more to say about it. Going in blind and going for a reasonable level of completion the game lasted me a bit over 6 hours, so I'd call it mid length for a Metroidvania. There is a teleport system between the various maps, as well as an in game counter, so if you want to go for 100% you have those tools available. The game also has an alternate ending that is triggered by getting five items that are particularly hard to get.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:03 pm

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
10. Adventure Island (NES)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)
13. Super Adventure Island (SNES)
14. New Adventure Island (TG16)
15. Adventure Island III (NES)
16. The Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)
17. Part Time UFO (iOS)
18. Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
19. Adventure Island IV (NES)
20. Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
21. Adventure Island: The Beginning (WII)
22. Quell Memento (3DS)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ARCADE)
24. Saiyuuki World (FAMICOM)
25. Whomp ‘Em (NES)
26, Bikkuriman World (TG16)

Bikkuriman World Is pretty much a straight port of Wonder Boy in Monster Land. The boss sprites have been redrawn; the shop owner sprites have been redrawn; and Wonder Boy now has a halo for some reason. The last level and boss are also slightly more forgiving, and the ways you can accumulate gold and hearts are also slightly different. Otherwise, however, the game is exactly the same. It is good, but not great, and I am looking forward to the next chapter in my personal Wonder Boy saga...two completely different games titled Wonder Boy III!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:22 pm

You're killin' it man. I think that game was actually a PCE launch title -- 1987!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You're killin' it man. I think that game was actually a PCE launch title -- 1987!

It certainly looks like one! :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 pm

I wish the Switch had finer-grained time logging. I know I put more than five hours into Kirby: Star Allies, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

My review for this Kirby game should just ask a question: Do you like Kirby games? You'll enjoy this one. It doesn't do a whole lot new, which is a bit disappointing. Sure, you can go all multiplayer on it, but I don't have that option. The AI is pretty strong, but almost too much so. I think in some regards, it ruins the boss battles, as most of the time if you get into trouble, you can sit back and your AI friends will finish the job. You won't get into that situation very often, though; Kirby can take a lot of hits. I did die on the penultimate boss out of sheer carelessness, though, so you can't be too free and easy.

Graphics look quite excellent, as always. Very colorful, and is this the first Kirby game in HD? Sound is fine, too, with lots of callbacks to prior games. I just wish the game weren't so by-the-numbers until the end, where the final battle ups the game considerably on the spectacle scale. Great, great stuff.

I think I'd say it's a 7.5. Still quite good, but just missing that special something that Triple Deluxe had (maybe it's the 3D!), and still a slight step down from Robobot as well (I didn't enjoy it quite as much). I am also annoyed at the trend in these latter Kirby games where achieving 100% requires grinding for medals or puzzle pieces or whatever; you'll never get it all on your first go. I miss the days where getting 100% didn't feel like work to me. Oh well, I'm sure the kids will enjoy that aspect while I go grab my cane, sit in my rocking chair, and tell said kids to get the heck off my lawn.

Now, perhaps I will pick back up into FMV month, assuming I don't get distracted by Wild Guns Reloaded or Fire Emblems Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 am

32. Knightmare II: Maze of Galious (MSX) (click for full review)

As I said elsewhere, it's a guide game. For example, the only clue for the location of the entrance to the last dungeon, which appears after beating the previous one, is "it's somewhere in the castle" (=156 screens to search without an in-game map, and though there's an item you can find which makes a noise when you're a few screen away from one that's still quite a lot). :)

That said, I enjoyed it and would rank it slightly above a few other games of its time like Faxanadu and Metroid. The enemy and item variety is quite impressive, the world is large without feeling empty, boss fights are above average and the controls are solid.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 am

Sarge wrote:I think I'd say it's a 7.5. Still quite good, but just missing that special something that Triple Deluxe had (maybe it's the 3D!), and still a slight step down from Robobot as well (I didn't enjoy it quite as much). I am also annoyed at the trend in these latter Kirby games where achieving 100% requires grinding for medals or puzzle pieces or whatever; you'll never get it all on your first go. I miss the days where getting 100% didn't feel like work to me. Oh well, I'm sure the kids will enjoy that aspect while I go grab my cane, sit in my rocking chair, and tell said kids to get the heck off my lawn.

Glad to see you enjoyed Star Allies! It's one of my favorites for a while, but that's probably because of the multiplayer being back in after so long. I just wish the Friend Powers didn't feel so gimmicky, and that they'd focused on making bigger or werider game modes that were enhanced by co-op, a bit like Super Star Ultra had. The thing about the puzzle pieces is that, unlike the gears or what-have-you that they've had since Return to Dreamland that unlock extra levels and whatnot, there are not a finite number of puzzle pieces. You'll need to play levels many many times to actually get all of the puzzles pieces that aren't the big, level-specific one-of-a-kind ones. Luckily I don't think they unlock anything, so that's not such a big deal. I also second the request for a more accurate game timer! I wanna know how long I put into games, dang it! :lol:

PresidentLeever wrote:As I said elsewhere, it's a guide game. For example, the only clue for the location of the entrance to the last dungeon, which appears after beating the previous one, is "it's somewhere in the castle" (=156 screens to search without an in-game map, and though there's an item you can find which makes a noise when you're a few screen away from one that's still quite a lot). :)

That said, I enjoyed it and would rank it slightly above a few other games of its time like Faxanadu and Metroid. The enemy and item variety is quite impressive, the world is large without feeling empty, boss fights are above average and the controls are solid.

If you're looking for a kind of upgraded version of Galius Maze and something like La Mulana is too Byzantine and rediculous for you (which I wouldn't blame anyone for saying, because that game is nuts with its puzzles), Hydra Castle Labyrinth is a great freeware game inspired by Galius Maze :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah La Mulana was just overwhelming to me. Might get back to it or the remake at some point though. Thanks for the tip!
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Return to General Gaming