Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
KayJay wrote:I also played 40+ hours of Morrowind, which is amazing. i'm mentioning it because it is nearly impossible to finish that game. xD

Don't give up! It can be beaten, although I would recommend skipping the expansion campaigns as they are.....mediocre. Very mediocre, but play the main game, explore and create your own story, but most importantly, beat the game!

Morrowind can be beaten hilariously fast if you know what you're doing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
KayJay wrote:I also played 40+ hours of Morrowind, which is amazing. i'm mentioning it because it is nearly impossible to finish that game. xD

Don't give up! It can be beaten, although I would recommend skipping the expansion campaigns as they are.....mediocre. Very mediocre, but play the main game, explore and create your own story, but most importantly, beat the game!

Bull, Solstheim is the best part of Morrowind. All the perks, plus Nordic drinking halls.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)

Ah, the Ground Zero mission pack for Quake II. It's like Quake II, but designed by some asshole with a turret fetish. It's also harder, throwing a relatively unarmed player against some unforgiving challenges from the very beginning and sitting back with arms crossed to find out if you sink or swim. Ground Zero makes Quake II feel like kid gloves; levels feature challenging enemy arrangement, there are so many weapons that it is easy to lose track(and hard to access some of them), and new enemies will be happy to hand you your ass.

Let's first discuss the weapons: all of the Quake II staples return, and in general they have not changed much, though a few get even more quickly outclassed than in the base game. The Machine Gun is basically worthless once you find the Chain Gun, the Shotgun loses some of its relevance as a sniping tool once you get the Rail Gun, and the Grenade Launcher is awesome! But the new weapon offer a little variety, and in particular I quite liked the Proximity Mine Launcher. It functions like a weaker grenade launcher that doesn't bounce but can stick to walls, ceilings, and elevators for me to set some nasty traps. I loved this weapon and often switched to it. The ETF Rifle and the new Tesla Mines on the other hand...not so much. The Tesla required a bit more work than I was willing to put in, and the Prox Launcher fit a lot of the same bill and did so faster at range. As for the ETF Rifle, it was too weak for me to give it much of a chance, and I stopped using it entirely half way through. Mostly I went back to my basics, though with so many tough enemies in this mix, I eventually set aside the shotguns for all but the weakest of Strogg.

Speaking of which, there are a lot of Strogg, many of which are quite beefy and can take a few hits. The new guys are all nasty buggers in their own right. The Stalker, Medic Commander, Turret, and Daedulus all have their particular nasty means of interacting with you. Stalkers can cling to the ceiling and hop over oncoming fire, making fighting them a pain(but the Prox Launcher works wonders), the Daedulus hide behind a shield you must tear down with a lot of weapon's fire before you can rip into the sweet meats beneath, the Medic Commander can revive dead Strogg and spawn weaker opponents to attack you in a horde, and whoever came up with the Turret and decided on its placements through the game is a jerk. I didn't see "Turret Guy" in the credits for the game, which is probably a good thing, because that guy would probably go the way of Jimmy Hoffa if folks figured out who he is. How bad is the Turret? Well, it properly leads targets, takes two direct rail gun shots to kill, comes in both a laser and rocket variety, and is behind you. Seriously, there is a Turret behind you. Always. Looking back at the doorframe becomes second nature in this game by the time you finish. I hate the Turret!

As I said, Ground Zero is Quake II on Hard Mode. It's surprisingly long in the first three sections before flying by when going into the finale. But it's a nice little extension onto the base Quake II experience, and if you can make it through the initial hump, you'll do just fine. Just remember to look behind you, because there is a Turret there.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:

Bull, Solstheim is the best part of Morrowind. All the perks, plus Nordic drinking halls.

Ok Solstheim isn't too bad, but Tribunal is absolute garbage.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on Ground Zero. It's weird, because I remember when I first picked up Quake 2 (after playing it some on a LAN) I tried out both The Reckoning and Ground Zero and I remember liking Ground Zero better. But having played both now I think I preferred The Reckoning overall. Now, in both cases I didn't get very far when I first played them, so maybe it was because The Reckoning starts with you being outside and then there's those weird mutants while Ground Zero starts off as a more standard Q2 experience.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:You pretty much summed up my thoughts on Ground Zero. It's weird, because I remember when I first picked up Quake 2 (after playing it some on a LAN) I tried out both The Reckoning and Ground Zero and I remember liking Ground Zero better. But having played both now I think I preferred The Reckoning overall. Now, in both cases I didn't get very far when I first played them, so maybe it was because The Reckoning starts with you being outside and then there's those weird mutants while Ground Zero starts off as a more standard Q2 experience.

I just got The Reckoning to work, so I plan to give it a go over the next couple of weeks. We'll see how I feel about it when I finish. I'm looking forward to trying it.
KayJay
24-bit

Post by KayJay »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:

Oh, i'm not done! :D i'm still going to play, just taking a break for a while to play other stuff. I literally played that game for a month straight (which is my record for longest time consecutively playing a game. Usually i stop after i beat it)

But yeah, i do love that game.
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)

This is one of those classic Golden Age titles; the arcade version emulated on Xbox.

Here's the premise of Elevator Action. You're a spy trying to descend a 30 story building using elevators and escalators. Five secret documents, contained within red doors, must be picked up on the way to the bottom. In the meantime there are these old-timey gangster looking dudes popping out of blue doors trying to take you down with gunfire.

There are some weapons at your disposal, however. The spy has his own gun and can fire three bullets at a time. Bad guys can also be kicked at close range. Lastly, with good timing, a light fixture can be shot down to flatten a baddie. This happens to shut the lights off in the entire building, which is a cool effect.

The action is frantic and fast-paced. Enemy AI is quite sophisticated and they'll continually chase you through the building. Many times I found it strategic to run away for a bit before finding the best "spot" to open fire. Controls are a bit shaky. The spy can duck but doesn't pop up automatically when you take your finger off the down button. Instead up must be pressed. Some bullets must be jumped over as well, and the jumps are pretty stiff. Standard 1983 controls, basically.

Elevator Action loops endlessly with the door layout randomized each time. The enemy AI evolves throughout the game and things become absurdly difficult later on.

I've actually never played a sequel or port to this game, though I now look forward to doing so.

Thanks for the inspiration, noise and dish.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The bromance is real.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

f y'all