Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2014

by Hazerd Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 pm

1. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - PS3
2. Metro: Last Light - Steam
3. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - *Challenge Mode* - PS3
4. New Super Mario Bro. U - Wii U

Yay for beating my first Wii U game.

Found this game pretty hard, especially if you want to collect all the star coins and start Superstar Road.

Typical Mario game overall, business as usual, didnt use the baby yoshi's too much and after checking out the Secret Island for my records, was surprised to see this game has 3-Up's and "Booster Blocks" ? guess ill have to do another play through as i collect the rest of the Star Coins.

I still prefer Super Mario World and SMW2: Yoshi's Island too this.

Up next is ZombiU, or finishing Grandia II on DC now that i have my S-Video cable.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
Games Beaten in 2013 = 34
1/1 The Walking Dead S2 - Episode 1: All That Remains
1/3 The Gold Factory (WEB)
1/14 Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
1/15 Proteus (Vita)
1/26 Gone Home (PC)
2/1 Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
2/2 Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent's Curse: Act I (PC)

Games Beaten = 8

2/4 Broken Age: Act I (PC)
I was one of the many, many people who Kickstarted this game and I don't regret it. Tim brought the game I was looking for ... everything good I remember about Point and Click Adventure games (challenging puzzles, fun story) and none of the bad stuff (puzzles that didn't make sense, confusing controls). If you're not into adventure games you might want to start here, absolutely gorgeous backdrops, animation is whimsical, voice acting was excellent, with actors like Wil Wheaton and Elijah Wood. Cannot wait for the conclusion to this game.

Also! Something that is unusual for this type of game is you play as two protaganists on a parallel journey. Not something you see in this type of game really, you can switch between them at any point (well at least until you complete the arc for that character). I chose to do Shay (the boy) first followed by Vella (the girl). Truly an excellent game. 5 stars, 2 thumbs, etc.

2/8 Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (Vita)
Fun stealth puzzle game. You keep to the shadows to keep alive and have to move blocks and hit switches to get through the environment. About 50 or so levels and I really enjoyed it. Looks great on the Vita too!

2/13 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 4 - The Cain Killer (PC)
Ugh. That's about all I can say about this one. You can click the Games Beaten in 2013 thread above to see my thoughts on the first 3 episodes, but while each previous entry improved on itself, I thought that this one fell flat. They poorly introduce a new concept of how much an NPC likes you and mostly it just puts you in situations where you get killed and you have to do it again. Very frustrating, voice acting and general story is still pretty poor. If I hadn't Kickstarted this I probabaly would've just let it go.

2/20 Contrast (PS4)
Environmental puzzler. Came (comes?) free with PSN+ on the PS4 and this is my first PS4 game beaten! I enjoyed it as a free game, but would've been disappointed if I had paid much more than $5. There are numerous glitches, clipping or bugged animations, that are a turn off. The story is fairly plain and the pay-off is seen a mile away and not worth it. The puzzles are fun and rarely frustrating though, so I'd give it a go, if environmental puzzles are your thing.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Games Beaten 2014
Primal Rage - 32X
Golden Axe - Genesis
To the Moon: Holiday Special - PC
Need for Speed: Rivals - PS4
Halo: Spartan Assault - Xbox One
Kolibri - 32X
Motocross Championship - 32X
Shank 2 - PS3
Colassatron: Massive World Threat - iOS
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - PS3
Snafu - Intellivision - Intellivision
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Wii
Street Fighter vs. Tekken - Vita
Wolf Fang - PS1/Vita
Mirror's Edge - iOS
Infamous: Festival of Blood - PS3
The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS3 *new*
Flappy Bird - iOS *new*

Total: 18

Games Beaten: 2013 2012 2011 2010

Left Behind was relatively short but pretty fun. I could have done with a bit stronger gameplay/cutscene ratio, though.

I know Flappy Bird can't be "beaten" per se but I earned a Platinum Trophy on it (a score of 55, in fact) and am going to put it up here so that I can think of it as "done" and no longer find myself absentmindedly sitting down with it for 2 hours or more at a time :lol:
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 pm

dsheinem wrote:I know Flappy Bird can't be "beaten" per se but I earned a Platinum Trophy on it (a score of 55, in fact) and am going to put it up here so that I can think of it as "done" and no longer find myself absentmindedly sitting down with it for 2 hours or more at a time :lol:

Move on to Maverick Bird? :lol:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

1. King of Fighters R-2 (NGPC)
2. Dead or Alive 2 (Limited Edition) (DC)
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time (PS2)
4. Metal Gear (PS2)
5. Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (DC)
6. Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure (NGPC)
7. Bust-A-Move Pocket (NGPC)

Man, I love this game. I beat it around the same time last year too I think. So addictive. Plowed through all 99 levels in the last 5 nights.
Wispmage
32-bit

by Wispmage Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Games Beaten 2014:
1. Diablo II / Lord of Destruction
2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sonss
3. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Final Mix *NEW*

Games Beaten 2013
1. Bioshock Infinite [PC]
2. Demon's Crest [SNES]
3. Sacred Citadel [PC]
4. Dishonored [PC]
5. Bastion [PC]
6. Torchlight 2 [PC]
7. TMNT: Turtles in Time [SNES]
8. Mark of the Ninja [PC]
9. Mega Man X [SNES]
10. Mega Man X2 [SNES]
11. Diablo [PC]

After a few months I've finally bested Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Final Mix. This was my first experience with Kingdom Hearts and I can safely say that it ended up being a good one. Despite my initial misgivings, I decided to give the game another shot at the behest of my girlfriend who happens to be a long-time fan of the series. By the end of the game I thoroughly enjoyed the worlds, characters, and perhaps most of all, the fast paced and relatively simple combat system. The things I didn't care for were the Gummi Ship stages, the summons (which I don't think I ever even used), and most of the end-game, which felt like it dragged on for far too long.

By the time I got through Hollow Bastion, went back to Traverse Town, returned to Hollow Bastion, battled through the End of the World, and successfully beat all 8 of Ansem's forms, I was pretty damn ready for the game to be over.

Overall though, it was a solid game and a pleasant experience, and one that might encourage me to try my hand at Kingdom Hearts 2 at some point. For the forseeable future though I'll be devoting most of my time to Thief, and probably starting a file in Banished, a newly released city-building sim game.
Last edited by Wispmage on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 pm

dsheinem wrote:I know Flappy Bird can't be "beaten" per se but I earned a Platinum Trophy on it (a score of 55, in fact) and am going to put it up here so that I can think of it as "done" and no longer find myself absentmindedly sitting down with it for 2 hours or more at a time :lol:

What's your highest score? Most I've gotten is 101. And have you tried Flapthulhu?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 am

Stark wrote:

Move on to Maverick Bird? :lol:

Just tried it. The "dive" arrow and the variation in obstacles takes away from the original's charm. Cool music, though.

Opa Opa wrote: And have you tried Flapthulhu?

Just did. I like it better than Maverick Bird, but neither holds a candle to Flappy. The physics, aesthetics, and gameplay just "fit" in that game in a way that thee others can't quite touch.
graffix_13
64-bit

by graffix_13 Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm

1. Tearaway- PS Vita (Platinum Trophy)
2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag- PS4 (Platinum Trophy)
3. Resogun- PS4 (Platinum Trophy)
4. Super Stardust Delta- PS Vita
5. Galaga Legions DX- PS3
6. Under Defeat HD- PS3 (Platinum Trophy)
7. Ketsui Extra- PS3
8. Tomb Raider: DE- PS4 (Platinum Trophy)
9. DoDonPachi- PS1 (Japanese PSN)
10. Strider- PS4

DoDonPachi- I credit fed this to "beat" it. Game was a blast (if you like bullet hells). Easy to play/finish if you credit feed, however to 1CC it would take massive skill.

Strider- I played the NES version (never played the Genesis version) so I was excited to play this updated version. I was hesitant at first because I had heard bad things about Double Helix, but the reviews for this were good so I took a chance on it. Man, I'm glad I did. The game is FUN! It is a "Metroidvania" which are my favorite types of games. My first playthrough was on Hard, which was a bit challenging in parts but overall wasn't too bad. Especially when you're upgraded and have different elemental cyphers. For $15, this game is a great buy.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

graffix_13 wrote:Strider- I played the NES version (never played the Genesis version) so I was excited to play this updated version. I was hesitant at first because I had heard bad things about Double Helix, but the reviews for this were good so I took a chance on it. Man, I'm glad I did. The game is FUN! It is a "Metroidvania" which are my favorite types of games. My first playthrough was on Hard, which was a bit challenging in parts but overall wasn't too bad. Especially when you're upgraded and have different elemental cyphers. For $15, this game is a great buy.

Bad things about Double Helix? Made up of ex-Shiny employees! Probably the games they've worked on is giving them a bad rap (Battleship, Green Lantern, etc.). Killer Instinct and Strider prove they're an awesome dev!
Return to General Gaming