Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

by TSTR Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:21 pm

EASTERN PROMISES has a crazy ass nekkid fight scene complete with dong
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:58 pm

TSTR wrote:EASTERN PROMISES has a crazy ass nekkid fight scene complete with dong

If you're comfortable with that sort of thing and have a Netflix subscription, I highly recommend Stranger by the Lake. It is an amazingly well-made film, and it certainly borders the horror genre. (Is Fatal Attraction a horror film? If so, this is too.) Anyone considering it should be warned, however, that...

The sex scenes in it are shockingly explicit. If you are not or cannot make yourself comfortable with that, this movie is definitely not for you.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 pm

City of the Dead
AKA, Horror Hotel

In 1700s Massachusetts, a woman named Elizabeth Selwyn has been accused of being a witch and is about to be burned at the stake. As the flames lick her feet, thunder booms overhead and Elizabeth swears fealty to the Devil, cursing the town of Whitewood while the crowd cheers her demise. Little do they know that she is not the only one in town who has made a pact with the Devil.

The film then segues to the present (1960), into the home of Professor Alan Driscoll who is teaching a course on witchcraft. One of his young students, Nan, is fascinated with the subject and informs him that in order to write a proper term paper, she wishes to travel to a place where witchcraft once flourished. Driscoll suggests she travel to Whitewood and even suggests a place to stay as well as the name of the woman who runs the inn, a woman called Mrs. Newless. Little does Nan know, but she’s just bitten off a lot more than she can chew.

Smart enough to bring a flashlight, but not smart enough not to into the dark, creepy cellar.
That’s the 60’s for ya!

To say the film has atmosphere would be an understatement. The town of Whitewood is perpetually bathed in an eerie fog making it feel like you’ve just entered a place that exists just outside of time. The buildings are old and partially dilapidated, light seems to be non-existent and that, coupled with the knowledge of the towns history, makes the town and many of the people encountered in it seem hauntingly malevolent.

If you couldn’t tell already, the cinematography is also excellent. Even some of the darkest moments wind up looking beautiful. This is really the type of movie that could come together properly using black and white.

The film is filled with solid performances from all its cast members. Venetia Stevenson nails down naïve Nan’s wide eyed innocence with the youthful vigor needed for the role. Patricia Jessel, playing both Elizabeth Selwyn and the malicious Mrs. Newless, exudes a superbly eerie aura, even when she’s attempting to pass as sensible innkeeper to the unsuspecting newcomers. And then there’s Christopher Lee who, as always, mixes together the perfect combination of suave and sinister that he is so well known for.

City of the Dead is a movie where the horror and tension permeates almost every scene. The copious amount of fog and the set pieces transport the viewer to a forbidden town shrouded in evil and mystery. The performances are all excellent and the visuals are exceptional. The storyline may no longer be unique, but it’s still a fun and beautifully atmospheric tale. A definite recommendation to those who enjoy 60s horror and Christopher Lee.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:13 pm

That looks awesome, Michi. I love well-shot horror films from that era, and I will definitely seek it out. You should follow it up with either:

Black Sunday (1960) if you want something very similar, or

I Married a Witch (1942) if you want something a little more light-hearted. Both are excellent.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 pm

City of the Dead looks great! It must have had an enhanced release because that imagery looks very crisp for such an old film.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:23 pm

So I did get around to eXistenZ today. I'd say, I'm half and half on it. I can see it being good with rewatches and probably warming up to it more, but I do think the pacing was a bit messy after awhile. The finale was insane though and almost redeemed everything. Overall, I liked it way more than Inception, but I'd take Total Recall over this.

The main issue I had is that Jennifer Jason Leigh was pretty annoying. If I didn't check some credits I wouldn't have known she was the young girl in Flesh & Blood which I watched a few weeks ago and she was totally likeable there. But not here at all... really grating. Jude Law was cool though.

When it was good, it was really good. Lots of great ideas. More signature Cronenberg practical effects craziness and gore, so on that note I'm glad that 1999 didn't make it feel weird or lame compared to his 80's offerings I've seen so far. But yeah, definitely not without its flaws. Something I'd definitely recommend though.

So I wanted some dumb fun after two Cronenberg movies today... The Prowler (1981)! Coming from the guy who would later direct Friday the 13th Part 4, one of the best, it was pretty awesome. A clone that definitely outdoes the first two Friday the 13th's. I'd probably put it on par with The Burning. This seemed more violent than Friday. The killer was cool. The composer straight up emulated the Friday style perfectly haha. It's got FX dude Tom Savini on it too, seems he was all over the slasher era. Not a bad fun romp if you're a sucker for straightforward slashers.
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Dude, The Prowler is my jam, yo.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 pm

Yeah, I can definitely recommend it. The straight down head through the neck stab was the best.

Also not to spoil anything too grand, but Scanners and The Prowler both gave me an exploding head scene. Two exploding heads in one day, I'd call that a success!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't know how The City of the Dead managed to stay under my radar, but I think I'm going to have to see that one.

Yesterday I watched Horror Express which lived up to my expectations. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are always great together. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a horror movie with either actor. The movie is loosely adapted from the story which inspired The Thing but is set on a train in what seems to be the late 1800s. There's a certain point in the movie where it kind of stops making sense, but like so many European horror films, making sense isn't really that important. I really liked the effect of how the monster's victims eyes go white. All-white eyes have been used in other horror films, but its an effect I don't get tired of. It's not as good as the better Hammer films but it was still pretty great.

The day before that, I watched the "Doug's Halloween Adventure" episode of the old Nick cartoon Doug. It was a nostalgic throwback and I'm glad I watched it but it's not one of the better Halloween specials out there.

I also read Uncanny Tales from the Grave #5, another Marvel horror comic with old reprint-stories. These are fairly standard and I'm not in the mood to summarize each story. The standout story for me was one about a dentist who refused to use novocaine on patients and ends up having brain surgery performed on him without anesthesia. This one is relevant to me because my dad actually went to a dentist who never used novocaine! The dentist was still doing it when his youngest sister was going to the dentist in the 1960s. I have no idea WHY his parents sent him to such a nightmare-dentist but they did exist!
Another standout moment is in the first story, set in the 1400s, in which a man sees a black metal machine and his first thought is "this must be a spaceship." REALLY, I kind of love how they obviously did not care AT ALL about historical accuracy.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever