Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

by Nemoide Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I found this list of Fangoria Magazine's 300 Best Horror Movies last night:

http://www.listchallenges.com/fangoria-top-300-horror-movies

It is a decent list with both, IMO, glaring omissions (e.g., Army of Darkness, Cure, etc.) and some questionable inclusions (e.g., The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Dagon, etc.). It is also a bit dated, and the latest film on the list is from 2013. It is still fun to read through if, like me, you are looking for new movies. Moreover, you can check off the movies you've seen. (I have seen just over half of the films on this list.)

I'm 175/300 which I'll take as pretty decent.

Rue Morgue (which has, to my knowledge/opinion, always been far superior to Fangoria) put out a book a few years back of "200 Alternative Horror Films You Need to See" which I found to be a pretty excellent resource for finding new movies.
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:33 pm

J T wrote:
Ack wrote:The one that gets me the most is Requiem for a Dream. Yes, the subject matter is pretty horrific, but I view it as a straight drama about a crumbling family. Likewise Un Chien Andalou is an experimental art film that ended up on this list probably only for the one famous gore scene. It's weird.

Also, none of the Coffin Joe movies? For shame.

Requiem is definitely an odd choice. I think Un Chien Andalou is a worthwhile mention though. That scene of the eyeball being cut with a straight razor is forever burned in my memory, and is particularly gruesome for the time period in which it was released. But beyond that graphic image, the surreal nature of the film has an almost nightmarish quality to it that is steeped in the symbolism of the popular psychoanalytic dream analysis of its time. I haven't seen the film in many years, but I recall there was a scene where I believe a man was dragging a piano that was tied to him with a large chain. That felt so much like nightmares where you can't run. While it's not overtly of the horror genre, it is often a symbolic meditation on darker aspects of the human psyche. It's such an unusual film, that it doesn't really neatly fit into any genre other than 'experimental art film', so I think it's a fair addition. Plus, they probably just wanted to say "Hey! Look! Here's a cool weird film that Salvador Dali was involved in creating!" to get more people to watch this movie and to keep it from being lost in the annals of time.

I can understand that. I find myself more drawn to the scene with the ants streaming out of a hole in the man's hand. What a spectacular image. I just don't want folks to brush it aside with a "Oh, it's just a horror movie" mentality. It's nightmarish, absurd, and stunningly gorgeous in places. I guess my complaint is that it's "not just a horror movie," if you get my drift.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Nemoide wrote:Rue Morgue (which has, to my knowledge/opinion, always been far superior to Fangoria) put out a book a few years back of "200 Alternative Horror Films You Need to See" which I found to be a pretty excellent resource for finding new movies.

I like that their list of 200 has a ton more foreign films. Of that one, I've only seen 57/200. I have a long way to go yet.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:48 pm

117 here. Why is the TCM remake on there and not the original?
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Jago, are there any particular episodes of No Sleep you recommend? I listened to the first one and found it kind of boring, but I figure there have got to be some good episodes in there.

I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale lately, which is a sort of schizophrenic community radio program from a town full of ominous hooded figures, otherworldly visitors, and odd supernatural goings-on. It's an enjoyably weird mix of small town politics and Lovecraftian occult phenomenon. It's really nonlinear, so it's easy to jump in and out of as you please. They also bring on some pretty cool musical guests.

http://www.welcometonightvale.com/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:22 pm

That list is a bit odd. I'm at 134, but I didn't include films I know I've seen, but haven't seen in so long that I can't remember most of them. Still, must do better.

Anyway, my puppet saga continues.....

Puppet Master 4
This poster lies! Torch is nowhere in this movie!

Incredibly young (is he even out of High School?), Rick, is researching artificial intelligence at his lab in the Bodega Bay Inn as part of a study called the Omega Project. Though Rick has already discovered Blade, he is oblivious to Blade being alive or the puppets significance to his research. It isn’t until Rick friends Suzie, Laura and Cameron show up, and they all discover the old trunk belonging to Andre Toulon, that Rick figures out how Blade seems to magically appear in various places around the hotel.

If it were me, I’d have been afraid I was having a stroke or something....

With a stunning lack of hesitation, Rick uses the serum found in the trunk to revive the rest of Toulon’s puppets. Rick is absolutely ecstatic, but others are not so pleased. Somewhere in Egypt (I think), the demon Sutek is angry at the upper worlds desire for artificial intelligence. Irate that their ‘secret’ has already been stolen by Andre Toulon, and determined not to let anyone else discover it, Sutek sends his minions out to kill all those working on the Omega Project. Rick’s colleagues are the first to go, but it isn’t long until the Inn is also invaded by the evil little gremlins.

RIP, oblivious science man.

Well, it took four movies, but I think I’ve pinpointed the exact spot where the series starts to go south. I had a feeling this would be the one, once I saw there were six screenwriters attached to the film.

Puppet Master 4 is a direct sequel to the second film....Or, at least I think it is. The ending of II gave the impression that the film series was moving away from the whole ‘stalk the hotel’ cliché, but nope. We’re back at the Inn. We’re also back to using one-dimensional characters again. This time around we’ve got the science one, the sensible one, the psychic (yup, back to psychics again, too) and the required a$$hole.

Even his hair screams ‘a$$hole.’

The only difference is instead of the puppets going on a killing spree when a new batch of fresh and juicy 20-somethings show up at the hotel, this time they’re protecting the 20-somethings from some evil, supernatural entity that has suddenly popped out of nowhere.

Out of all the people he’s gored, this is the only time I’ve ever seen blood on Tunnler’s drill.

Speaking of evil, it’s not even that well designed of an evil, either. Considering the creativity that went into most of the puppet designs, these guys come off as pretty lame. Or something resembling a Power Ranger villain.

Are you supposed to be Egyptian? Cause you don’t look vaguely Egyptian.

And you guys look like you just walked off the Phantasm set.

The little gremlin/minion creatures fare much, much better. They’re actually pretty creepy little buggers that kind of remind me more of the Zulu doll from Trilogy of Terror than any of the other puppets introduced so far could ever hope to achieve. But they don’t look even vaguely Egyptian either.

So much awesome Egyptian imagery to pull from and they give us spiky Chupacabra.

This entry seems to throw a lot of the series previous established lore and continuity out the window. The puppets are the good guys this time around. Why are all the dolls, except for Blade, incapacitated when the ending of II suggested that they’d last another good 50 years or so? No mention is made that the serum that animates the puppets comes from human brains. No mention is made of the ending of the second film, or why the puppets are suddenly so buddy-buddy with Toulon again. Instead of just injecting the puppets with the serum, this time to create a new one you’ve gotta use some extravagant lightning ritual a-la Frankenstein’s monster. And who’s soul inhabits the new puppet Decapitron? Why, Toulon’s, of course!.... Wait, wasn’t isn’t he supposed to be dea-... You know what, never mind. It’ll all probably change later and won’t matter anyway.

I’ll just pretend I didn’t see this.

Add all that and a scene where Rick plays laser tag with two of the puppets for, like, ten minutes and you really have to wonder where the original story was headed before the other five screenwriters got their grubby little mitts on it.

What pisses me off the most is they didn’t even use Six Shooter in this scene. Golden opportunity wasted.

Considering everything they throw at you, the film still comes across as hollow. It lacks the atmosphere of the first movie, the story of the third and at this point I think they’ve retconned most of the second film into oblivion. There’s a lot of stuff going on, but most of the scenes feel stretched out for far too long to the point were it feels like if they had edited better they could have fit most of the content into the first half of the film. The acting pedigree has dropped back down several notches and all the characters have gone back to having static personalities. The puppet effects continue to be good and even some of the early CG effects are minimal and thus not that distracting. The worst part, though, is the movie ends, not even on a cliffhanger, but in the middle of the story. Parts 4 and 5 were filmed at the same time, with 5 finishing up the story. I almost don’t want to watch it, but now I have to know what happened to that Egyptian, though non-Egyptian looking demon god after he was seen shouting angrily towards the heavens.

Me thinks I should have stopped with the Nazi killing puppets.

Last edited by Michi on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:47 pm

15. Kingdom of the Spiders

Every wonder what would happen if William Shatner had to take on millions of tarantulas? Well, here's how you can find out. Shatner plays veterinarian Dr. "Rack" Hansen, who investigates the death of one of Woody Strode's cattle. In comes arachnologist Dr. Diane Ashley, a top mind in her field, to investigate why so much spider venom is found in the blood samples Rack sent off. Sure enough, they discover massive spider mounds on Strode's land, and soon the spiders are coordinating as an army to take down dogs, cats, goats, bulls, and even man.

I don't like spiders. They freaky me out with their eight legs, numerous eyes, and fangs. I don't like how spiders eat things, by melting their insides and leaving them to die in their cocoons, and that is exactly what they do to people in this movie. By halfway, you're starting to see the bodies, and it just gets nastier from there as they eventually cocoon the entire rural town to feed upon everyone who was inside, which was unfortunately quite a lot due to the county fair going on. The mayor refused to shut down the town for the spiders. That's right, folks, Kingdom of the Spiders is the arachnid version of Jaws.

There are some surprisingly nasty moments in this movie, and I don't just mean the numerous shots of dead bodies in webs or people covered in spiders(of which there were many. Apparently they were friends and family of the crew. God help them). One moment in particular has a woman blow several of her fingers off with a revolver as she tries to blow away a spider that has managed to get on her hand. While rewatching the scene revealed it was an obvious prosthetic, the sudden shot of her fingers disintegrating in a haze of gunfire was certainly startling. The production also used some rubber spiders...as well as 5000 live tarantulas. Thankfully they never got fed up and unionized. Otherwise KotS could be a parable about the teamsters in Hollywood.

Kingdom of the Spiders is another of the 1970s eco-horror movies, with the big concern focusing on the mass use of pesticides to kill off spiders' prey, forcing them to suddenly evolve into a hive species. While it's ridiculous in its basic premise, it's still not a bad film, and I admit that I actually liked Shatner's often hammy performance. The way he screams in one scene when a spider falls on him makes me think he wasn't always acting...

Oh, and as this was apparently on the Fangoria list, it's now 160/300 movies for me.

15/31

1. Late Phases
2. Ghoulies
3. Nightbeast
4. Tombs of the Blind Dead
5. Return of the Blind Dead
6. The Ghost Galleon
7. Night of the Seagulls
8. Chopping Mall
9. Bad Moon
10. C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D.
11. Dead Heat
12. Varan the Unbelievable
13. The Milpitas Monster
14. Shock
15. Kingdom of the Spiders
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:02 pm

I think I'm at 85/300 on that list. You guys have got me beat by a sizable margin.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Videodrome... was incredible. I think I like The Fly a little more, as it was more sympathetic and felt a little more refined, but I loved how Videodrome was a bit more supernatural and weirder in ways. Any thoughts and introspect on it? I can see this one being awesome with further rewatches.

So far I have to say based off these two, and maybe they're the peak Cronenberg and all, but these seriously have some of the best practical effects ever. Even the pulsating tape and masturbating TV scenes were disturbing rather than hilarious, very WTF. But the gun self drilling into his hand and arm was my favorite. The Fly almost made me nauseous (finger nails and stuff) at times because of how crazy the detail was on the body horror mutations, to that I give Cronenberg a lot of credit because I was supposed to feel very disgusted haha.

I'll probably go for Scanners next for Cronenberg. Not sure after that?

Return of the Living Dead was hilarious and a nice follow up to Romero stuff. Felt like a Mel Brooks movie at times. lol
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'll probably go for Scanners next for Cronenberg. Not sure after that?

eXistenZ?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever