Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Ack wrote:
Nemoide wrote:Rue Morgue (which has, to my knowledge/opinion, always been far superior to Fangoria) put out a book a few years back of "200 Alternative Horror Films You Need to See" which I found to be a pretty excellent resource for finding new movies.

I like that their list of 200 has a ton more foreign films. Of that one, I've only seen 57/200. I have a long way to go yet.

It's a good list, with some strange inclusions. (I can't really argue hat anything should have made it since it is a list of "alternative" horror films. I got 64/200.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:41 pm

isiolia wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'll probably go for Scanners next for Cronenberg. Not sure after that?

eXistenZ?

Rabid.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 pm

I'll always have a soft spot for Naked Lunch.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Nice list I need to see more of. Bookmarking... but only at 50 :/. Several I had seen the sequel(s) or remake, multiple others in my queue.

I was happy to see some hidden gems (Behind the Mask, Cube to name a couple)

Surprised by others (Cabin Fever... "Don't sit by Dennis!")

And glad some of my favorites were recognized (The Descent, TX Chainsaw '03).

Also reconfirmed multiple high on my to watch list (The House of the Devil, Ginger Snaps, Wolf Creek, Evil Dead '13).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:03 am

I actually own that Rue Morgue book. Will count later.

Cabin Fever rules btw.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:15 am

noiseredux wrote:Cabin Fever rules btw.

I actually have a soft spot for it. Took my wife on date to see it when we first started dating. She never lets me live that one down... Gets brought up each Saturday morning when we eat PANCAKES!!!

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Puppet Master 5

As any good horror fan knows, you can’t have a proper horror series without at least one entry valiantly declaring to be the ‘final chapter.’ Despite some misgivings, this one turned out to be a little better than it’s predecessor.

The movie began its task of trying to win me back over by opening with a scene that I suspect occurs to all horror movie survivors after the credits roll. By that I mean, having the police arrest them on suspicion of murder for all of the deaths that occurred in the previous film.

Don’t know why he’s worried. He looks like he’d be popular in prison.

For some reason, the police don’t seem to like Rick’s explanation of, “It wasn’t me. The puppets did it!” Which, when you think about it, is a bit disingenuous. I mean, he’s blaming the deaths on killer puppets, when he himself is now in charge of a whole menagerie of...killer puppets. Also, for being a child prodigy, I’m surprised he isn’t smart enough to know that that explanation wouldn’t fly.

It doesn’t help that the police have confiscated Blade and are now using him as evidence. I guess they feel the puppet with the knife and hook for a hand is somehow suspicious, especially since all the victims look like they were used for a cutting mat.

The irony is, the only thing he successfully cuts in either of these two movies is the evidence bag.

Ricks friends aren’t faring much better. No one believes Suzie’s story, either. And Lauren? She spends most of this movie the same way she spent the last one: mostly unconscious. Though she does occasionally wake up to yell out her predictions like a raving lunatic.

For once, being on drugs in a movie isn’t an immediate death sentence.

The only person who seems to believe Rick, is his new boss, Dr. Jennings. But Jennings doesn’t really care about Rick. He’s more interested in the possibility of a big, fat check from the military in exchange for an artificial intelligence prototype. Since most of his scientists are dead or suspected of murder Jennings doesn’t have one on hand, but thanks to Rick’s story he thinks he knows just where to find it. Instead of being a sensible scientist and just asking Rick for the information, Jennings decided to personally go to the Bodega Bay Inn (sobs) with the newly hired goon squad of Larry, Moe and Curly to try to find the puppets and the formula.

I’ll give him credit for being a hands-on mastermind, but he’s still an evil idiot.

Meanwhile, Rick feels something’s wrong and heads over to the Inn himself and all this is going on while the evil demon Sutek is planning on sending his personal little soul-bound avatar to kill Rick and the puppets.

At least the backgrounds look more Egyptian this time around.

If you couldn’t tell, the plotline for Puppet Master 5 is directly tied into the plot for Puppet Master 4. Both movies were filmed at the same time, and I have a sneaking suspicion based on the pacing and the cut-off point of the 4th one, that both of these were supposed to be one complete film. But Full Moon are a bunch of cheap buggers, so they went the Deathly Hollows route before Deathly Hollows was a thing. Basically, all you need to know is that the jumble of words you have been reading is really just an excuse to watch the puppets screw with some thugs, kill a guy and fight the big, bad, evil puppet at the end.

I know what you’re thinking. It’s not a successful cut. Blade was surprised, too.

As expected, continuity is again an issue with this installment. For one, Torch makes his return to the series, after being suspiciously absent in the last film, despite being on the damn poster. I’m not sure if this means they mixed up the posters, or if they just cut out scenes involving him from the first one altogether. Either way, it still doesn’t explain how Rick knows who he is, despite having no previous interaction with the little flame bug.

I missed you, you metallic little arsonist.

Rick also has to turn Decapitron into a lightning rod again, because... I don’t know, one good classic monster-movie reference deserves another, I suppose.

Sutek is also mumbling this go round about discovering Toulon’s secret, as opposed to just killing off everyone who knew Toulon’s secret. Not that anyone knew Toulon’s secret when he initially sent out his minions in the last film. And really, none of the guys his little avatar knocks off have any knowledge of Toulon in this film either. So, either way, his motives are indecipherable. I don’t know. It’s a head scratcher. I’ll blame it on the six script writers.

None of the acting has really improved over the last film. The previous actors return to reprise their roles (or continue them) and the new additions are just your typical, cookie-cutter buffoons and corrupt scientist. The script fares better this time around and for the first time in the series there is an attempt to add some humor, like the scene where one of the thieves insults Pinhead only to get punched in the face and hit in the nards with a meat mallet.

Dumbass.

But, of course, those moments are few and far between, and they do little to help the films continued pacing issues.

Puppet Master 5 was supposed to be the grand finale of the series. Of course, that didn’t happen, but it can be considered the finale to what’s widely considered to be the good films. Both 4 and 5 should have been one continuous movie. It would have solved the pacing issues and let us focus more on the more interesting puppets, instead of the boring humans or even the villians. The evil Sutek continues to be lame, and the introduction of his avatar that’s built up for about half the movie just ends up being another boring gremlin creature wearing a necklace. And the ending just comes across as another rehash of the one we got in Puppet Master 4. Really, the only stand out quality is the continued high-grade puppeteering work, and even that suffers a little in the end (I could see strings. That never happened before.) But even with all the problems, it still manages to be a little better than Puppet Master 4. If anyone is interested in these two films (are any of you still reading these Puppet Master write-ups?), I suggest watching them both back-to-back. They’ll make slightly more sense that way. Slightly.

And with that, I’m officially done (read: tired) of Puppet Master. At least for this year. On to something else....

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:39 pm

I think the furthest I saw was Puppet Master 3. Scared me as a kid! Had no idea there were so many... Wow a dozen or so.

Any one seen the Subspecies series by the same director?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 pm

I might as well actually count how many movies in that Rue Morgue "200 Alternative Horror Films" I've seen since I brought it up...
...and the total is 84 - not including the two movies I intend to watch within the next week (Horror Express and Psychomania) but including some titles that might not be part of the proper 200 list from the "top ten **something** movies" sidebars. Regardless, I feel like that's a pretty good number to have seen... and I'm almost halfway through the remainder!

Tonight I re-watched The Monster Squad. Absolutely an A+ movie, I'm glad this has found an audience over the years. While I was never that wild about The Goonies, the movie I can't help comparing this too, Monster Squad blows it out of the water, along with other 80s nostalgia-tinted quasi-kid movies like Gremlins. I love the homages to Universal horror: some of them are fairly subtle, like the presence of armadillos in Dracula's castle, while others are more obvious: like the match of Frankenstein's monster approaching the little girl by the pond. The whole movie is seriously fun and at only 82 minutes the pacing is tight enough to never drag while also being longer than any of the classic Universal monster films I know of.

The first time I saw this movie was on a cable channel called Monsters HD. Let me tell you, I only had access to it for about half a year (during which time I was going through a "2-3 movies a day" phase), but this is the best channel a horror fan could imagine. Nothing but monster/horror movies, all in HD with no commercial breaks, totally uncut. I think some movies, like From Beyond actually had their extended/unrated/director's cut premier on that channel! It's a shame it didn't stick around, because it was truly television of legend. I still miss it.

As for other horror media, today I read Vampirella Classic #1.
In my memory of reading Wizard Magazine, Comic Shop News, and their ilk, Vampirella used to be everywhere in the 90s. But I never really "got" the character. Okay, she's a superbabe, I get THAT. Okay, she's an alien from a planet where everyone drinks blood which doesn't come from people, I get that. I don't get anything else. How did she get to earth? What are her goals? Who are her friends? Does she have recurring villains? I DON'T KNOW. I think the extent of my attempt to get into the character was the Vampirella Strikes mini-series, which didn't really help me get the character's story.
Unfortunately Vampirella Classic #1 didn't help much either. I was hoping it would have an origin story: instead we open with some grave robbers being attacked by a demon and then Vampirella's there for some reason and gets captured. Then we get a story about an evil billionaire, I found out that she's perused by two members of the Van Helsing family, and it turns out she can't turn people into vampires when she bites them. Then I get PART of a story as a back-up which has a little bit about the planet Drakulon and Vampirella ends up getting her wings amputated. I NEVER EVEN KNEW SHE HAD WINGS.
The character's sexy, but I continue to not get it. Maybe I'd have to start from the very start (I'm not motivated to buy the deluxe hardcovers) or maybe I should try Kate Leth's current run of the character. Or maybe just be content to look at pin-up art of the character and leave it at that.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:50 am

Nemoide wrote:
Tonight I re-watched The Monster Squad. Absolutely an A+ movie, I'm glad this has found an audience over the years. While I was never that wild about The Goonies, the movie I can't help comparing this too, Monster Squad blows it out of the water, along with other 80s nostalgia-tinted quasi-kid movies like Gremlins. I love the homages to Universal horror: some of them are fairly subtle, like the presence of armadillos in Dracula's castle, while others are more obvious: like the match of Frankenstein's monster approaching the little girl by the pond. The whole movie is seriously fun and at only 82 minutes the pacing is tight enough to never drag while also being longer than any of the classic Universal monster films I know of.

The first time I saw this movie was on a cable channel called Monsters HD. Let me tell you, I only had access to it for about half a year (during which time I was going through a "2-3 movies a day" phase), but this is the best channel a horror fan could imagine. Nothing but monster/horror movies, all in HD with no commercial breaks, totally uncut. I think some movies, like From Beyond actually had their extended/unrated/director's cut premier on that channel! It's a shame it didn't stick around, because it was truly television of legend. I still miss it.

I'll have to look up Monster Squad. I love The Goonies & Gremlins!

That channel sounds awesome. Wish I still got the channel Chiller. It now requires the highest package & I definitely can't justify the price jump. Chiller showed a lot of newer movies that had been on DVD for about 6 months or so, similar to how FX does with action movies. They played some good ones and would also run the more indie films like those from After Dark.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever