Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2019

Kentucky Route Zero Act 1 - PC
All Our Asias - PC
Shape of the World - Switch
Hidden Folks - PC *new*
Hyrule Warriors - Wii U *new*

Total: 5

It is only January, but I feel it's unlikely that I will play a game more adorable than Hidden Folks before the year is out. This is a "hidden object" game but one that has a really detailed series of hand-drawn animations playing out in a series of cleverly designed settings. I think my nine year old enjoyed playing it as much as I did, and it even offers a fair degree of challenge (especially if you want to find everything on each level). More than anything, the game's sounds and its sense of humor make this one worth checking out. It can usually be found for around $5 on Steam, I think, so maybe check it out in a future sale...

Hyrule Warriors was my first experience with a Warriors-style game and I quite liked it. The game controls well, has an enjoyable set of combat mechanics, a big cast of characters that you can play as (or not, if you prefer), and a few different plot twists that keep things at least nominally interesting in the narrative department. I don't know if I want to play any other games of this style yet (any suggestions?), but I am certainly more open to the possibility after sinking my time into this over the past week.

Previously: 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by Ack »

And here I was thinking it was a video game adaptation about black women who worked at NASA and never got their due credit for their contributions to the space race.

But...well, I do like hidden object games from time to time...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:And here I was thinking it was a video game adaptation about black women who worked at NASA and never got their due credit for their contributions to the space race.

But...well, I do like hidden object games from time to time...

:lol:

My bad: the game is called "Hidden Folks" not "Hidden Figures". Corrected above.

I'd totally play a hidden object game based on Hidden Figures, though. :P
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yay! It’s DSH!

I’m thinking of digging into Hyrule Warriors soon. I’ve never played a Musou game either, but I am intrigued by them. Based on your review, it looks like Hyrule Warriors May be a good place for me to start.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)

While it doesn’t offer the white-knuckle thrills found in level 3 of Castlevania: The Adventure (GB), Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB) is otherwise the superior game in (almost) every other way. It looks better; its difficulty curve is more gradual; it has more content; it has more complex mechanics; it’s more fun; and it controls way, way better. (IMO, the music isn’t quite as good, though.) It is a solid game through-and-through, and a worthy entry in the series. I recommend it to anyone looking for a new challenge ater playing through all the classic Castlevania games on the NES, Genesis, and SNES.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m thinking of digging into Hyrule Warriors soon. I’ve never played a Musou game either, but I am intrigued by them. Based on your review, it looks like Hyrule Warriors May be a good place for me to start.

I think the version to play, from most of what I have read, is the Switch version. It includes a ton of DLC from both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game and some added exclusive content. The Wii U version does offer some unique second screen/second player options, but overall runs less smoothly than the Switch version (especially when the second screen is being used in co-op). The 3DS version also has a lot of slowdown on any non- New 3DS system, since it was optimized for that version of the handheld.

That said, I played through the single-player campaign using a Wii U Pro Controller, and the slowdown wasn't a regular headache (or game-breaking or anything like that). Apparently the Switch version also has some slowdown issues (especially in handheld mode), so you may want to read up a bit before deciding. This covers things well.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks!

I have the 3DS and WiiU versions, but I don’t have a New 3DS or Switch. Looks like it’ll be the Wii U version for me.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

dsheinem wrote:I think the version to play, from most of what I have read, is the Switch version.

As someone who's spend over 500 hours in the Wii U version and owns both the Wii U and 3DS versions twice each, I second that.

The Switch version is a superior meld of the 3DS and Wii U versions, with superior performance (overall) and the most content. So unless you have a Wii U fetish or something, or don't own a Switch, go for the Switch version, it is hands down the best version of the game.

The handheld technical issues are not that relevant, since even with those issues, it is still far superior than the 3DS version on the go, and is better than the Wii U version on TV, so there's really no good reason to get it anywhere else if Switch is an option.

I know prfsnl_gmr said he doesn't have a Switch while I was composing this post, but the point still stands for whoever is interested in playing the game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I feel like the bigger issue here is that he doesn't have a Switch. C'mon, bruh.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:I feel like the bigger issue here is that he doesn't have a Switch. C'mon, bruh.

One day...<sigh>

It’s cool. Arenegeth noted that I don’t have a Switch, and I appreciate the information. I also have kind of a Wii U fetish; so even if I had a Switch, I might still go for the Wii U version... :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I feel like the bigger issue here is that he doesn't have a Switch. C'mon, bruh.

One day...<sigh>

It’s cool. Arenegeth noted that I don’t have a Switch, and I appreciate the information. I also have kind of a Wii U fetish; so even if I had a Switch, I might still go for the Wii U version... :lol:

I have a Switch, but I picked the game up for like $8 used on Wii U instead since I didn't want to drop $60 (or even $30-$40) on a game in a genre I wasn't sure I'd like.