Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by MrPopo »

My experience was that you have only one or two weapons that let you stealth, and then lots of weapons for going loud. And the level design definitely is not designed to allow you to go full stealth; there are points where unless you are hyper patient then you are going to have to tip off SOMEONE that you're around. I ended up using stealth as a way to conserve resources until I failed it, then I would go loud. The weird thing is there are a ton of spots where you get tools for going stealth, like getting under a narrow opening to be able to pop out and axe someone without them raising an alarm. But then there's other parts where there just is no hole in the enemy coverage.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

1. Skeleton Boomerang
2. TMNT: Hypersonte Heist (genesis)
3. greedy guns
4. Haunted: Halloween 85
5. Fists elimination tower
6. 222 hearts
7. Archrobo: robotic annhilation
8. King of fighters 94 (neogeo)
9. 88 Heroes (terrible game)
10. Iron Commando (snes) (another terrible game)
11. Ersatz
12. Crystal Cosmos
13. Metal Slug (neogeo)
14. Gunhero
15. Gradius rebirth (wii)
16. Kung fu (nes)
17. Ghosts n goblins (nes)
18. Double Dragon 2(gameboy)
19. Ninja Baseballl batman (arcade)
20. Mega man network transmission (gamecube)
21. Aladin(master system)
22. Rastan (master system)
23. Kung fu kid(master system)
24. Alex Kidd in Shinobi world (master system)
25. GI Joe (nes)
26. Sonic Chaos (master system)
27. Double Dragon(nes)
28. Dick Tracy (genesis)
29. Mega man 2(nes)
30. Final Fight (snes)
31. Ratchet and Clank (ps4)
32. Redeemer
33. Mega Man X3(snes)
34. Nex Machina
35. Doodler
36. O Fox life (sucked, but finished in 15 minutes)
37. Tai fu(ps1)
38. serious sam bogus detour
39. Vox Populi Vox Dei 2
40. Mecho Tales
41. Metal Soldiers 2
42. Atomic Adam episode 1
43. Altered beast: guardians of the realm(gba)
44. Mike Tysons Punch out (nes)
45. Strider 2 (ps1)
46. Contra(nes)
47. Batman returns (snes)
48. Double Dragon 4
49. Megaman (nes)
50. Ninja Gaiden (nes)
51. Ninja Gaiden 2 (nes)
52. Axiom Verge
53. The Evil within 2
54. Entertainment hero
55. Miles and Kilo
56. Momodora: reverie under moonlight
57. Aladdin (genesis)
58. Kick ass commandos
59. Carnage in space: ignition
60. Death and return of superman (snes)
61. Save Dash
62. Ultra Goodnes
63. Lady Sia (gba)
64. goldeneye (n64)
65. Dragons Lair
66. Streets of rage: remake
67. castlevania: dawn of sorrow (ds)
68. Wendy: every witch way (gbc)
69. Kid tripp (switch)
70. Lost Castle
71. Splasher
72. Super C (nes)
73. Castlevania (nes)
74. Super Double Dragon (snes)
75. Guardian
76. Golden axe: revenge of death adder (mame)
77. Double Dragon (arcade)
78. adventures of batman and robin (snes)
79. Heads run
80. Final Fight 2 (snes)
81. Mickey mouse -great circus mystery (snes)
82. Super Punch out (snes)
83. Bionic commando (mame)
84. shovel knight: plague of shadows
85. Castlevania: rondo of blood (turbo cd)
86. Castlevania: dracula x (snes)
87. Ruiner
88. Castlevania: the adventure rebirth(wii)
89. Pavel quest
90. Super castlevania 4 (snes)
91. Operation C (gameboy)
92. Not dying today
93. Double Dragon 3 (nes)
94. Hikibyou 2
95. Bayonetta 2 (switch)
96. Boogerman (snes)
97. Rocking pilot
98. Talent not included
99. Overgrowth
100. Shockman (tg-16)
101. Castlevania 3 draculas curse (nes)
102. Streets of rage 2 (genesis)
103. Loyalty and blood: Viktor origins
104. Mega Man 4 (nes)
105. Contra: shattered soldier (ps2)
106. Mega Man 5 (nes)
107. Final Fight 3 (snes)
108. Target Renegade (nes)
109. Renegade (nes)
110. Smashing the battle
111. Kabuki Quantum fighter (nes)
112. Streets of rage (genesis)
113. Kageki (genesis)
114. Batman (nes)
115. Mega Man 9 (wii)
116. Mega Man 6 (nes)
117. Mega Man 10 (wii)
118. Fist Slash (not beaten, completely impossible last world)
119. Wolfenstein 2
120. Final Fight Gold SUper plus (openbor)
121. World Heroes supreme Justice (openbor)
122. Streets of rage 4 (openbor)
123. Final Fight x (openbor)
124. Tmnt and battletoads(openbor)
125. double dragon revolution (openbor)
126. Beats of rage street fighter edition (openbor)
127. SHiva and lisa (openbor)
128. King of fighters beat em up(openbor)
129. Final Fight apocalypse 2nd edition (openbor)
130. Dejin Makai Zero (openbor)
131. Vengeance of kyo (openbor)
132. Street fighter Taiwan (openbor)
133. Fatal Fury Rebout (openbor)
134. Art of fighting vs. double dragon (openbor)
135. A tale of vengeance (openbor)
136. Double Dragon 1 remix (openbor)
137. Fists of legendary heroes (openbor)
138. Rage of the streets (openbor)
149. Beats of rage: xtra (openbor)
150. Final Rage Chaos (openbor)
151. Street fighter rage world olympic tour(openbor)
152. Rushing beat (openbor)
153. Double dragon: evil forces expand(openbor)
154. Battletoads double dragon: return of the dark forces (openbor)
155. Double Dragon: renegade(openbor)
156. Final Fight Alpha plus(openbor)
157. Beast and Blanka in violent world (openbor)
158. Bloodstained: curse of the moon
159. Fatal Fury rebout 2(openbor)
160. Fatal Fury: Final (openbor)
161. Final Fight DC (openbor)
162. Venture kid
163. Final Fight Boss(openbor)
164. art of fighting: trouble in southtown (openbor)
165. Savant: acsent
166. Gunstar Heroes(genesis)
167. Sega brawlers megamix(openbor)
168. Cocoron (nes)
169. Final Fight heroes(openbor)
170. Dragons of rage EX(openbor)
171. Glitchbuster
172. Robot Legions reborn
173. Charlies adventure
174. Rising Islands
175. Blubblub: Quest of the blob
176. Double dragon zero (openbor)
177. Ladies of rage (openbor)
178. Super Ghouls n ghosts (snes)
179. bionic commando rearmed
180. Tupa
181. Indecision
182. Imperil
183. Jet Buster
184. xmen hunt for mutants(openbor)
185. when it hits the fan
186. dead island retro revenge
187. major Mayham 2 (android)
188. Ninja Striker
189. Techno boy
190. Invert
191. Metal Commando (android)
192. Damnation
193. hyper final fight 2 (openbor)
194. shio
195. Titanfall 2
196. Mortal Kombat: outworld assasins (openbor)
197. Dungeon Gambit boy
198. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (arcade)
199. Art of fighting (neogeo)
200. Shocktroopers (neo geo)
201. street fighter 2 champ edition (openbor)
202. Shadow of the ninja (nes)
203. Art of fighting 2 (neo geo)
204. Pilli adventure
205. Rex
206. Donkey Kong (nes)
207. Ninja Commando (neogeo)
208. Mikey Shorts (android)
209. Bucky O' hare (arcade)
210. Shadow Force(arcade)
211. World Heroes 2 Jet (neo geo)
212. Light Bringer (arcade)
213. Squidlit
214. Art of fighting Beats of rage remix 3 (openbor)
215. Super Blue Boy planet
216. Super Mario Bros 2(snes)
217. World Heroes 2 (snes)
218. Astyanax(nes)
219. Rescue rangers (nes)
220. Life force (nes)
221. Mega man 3 (nes)
222. Contra 3: alien wars (snes)

219. Rescue rangers (nes)
220. Life force (nes)
221. Mega man 3 (nes)
222. Contra 3: alien wars (snes)

Had the day off today and played through these 4 games, all games I have played in the past, and just like to replay from time to time.

In honor of mega man 11 being released this year I decided to play through all 10 mega man games and mega man 3 is the last one I needed to play.

I don't think I need to write a review of mega man 3, it is likely that the vast majority of people on this board have played it and probably love it. Mega man 3 typically gets put on a pedastel alongside mega man 2 as the best mega man game. Although I have played all of these games in the past, and many multiple times, I have never played all 10 in such a short time span, as such I will try and order mega man games from my favorite to least favorite and would like to hear everyone else's opinions on the subject, here is mine:

Please note, regardless of where the game falls on the list, I love every one of these games(except the one I placed last), and feel that even the mega man games that rate lower on this list are still among the best games of all time.

Favorite:
1) Mega Man 9 --one of the few mega man games I have never replayed until now and it really blew me away, amazing level design and the most useful sub weapons alongside a really solid challenge makes this my new favorite mega man game, I did miss the charge shot and am looking forward to its return in 11, but it does not hinder the immense enjoyment I got from this game.

2) Mega Man 2 and 3: tied for second place, I'm going to not pick a side on which one is better, they are both amazing games, they both pull at my nostalgia strings as I play them. 2 in particular brings out lots of warm fuzzy memories for me, I remember reading about it in nintendo power and was so excited to play it. When I finally got it I remember being completely blown away by the larger than life sprites(things like the fish in bubble mans stage, the dragon boss, the platforms in air man stage and so much more) Mega Man 2 was one of the greatest games I had played in my life up to that point but when I take the nostalgia goggles off I can't say for sure that it is better than 3. three does a ton of great things, has lots of great levels and weapons, introduces the slides, and is a much longer game thanks to the 4 extra stages you have to play before wilys caslte.

4) Mega Man 5: IMO, the most underrated game in the series. 5 gets lumped in with 6 as being lackluster entries, but I just don't see it. I did not play 5 as a kid so no nostalgia goggles here, I first played it in my late teens/early twenties when I was managing funcoland and really enjoyed it at the time, every few years I replay it and I always completely fall in love with it when I do. After playing it so close to the other mega man games it definitely falls into the upper tier of the series

5) Mega Man 1: Realistically, this game probably deserves to be lower on the list, but I am letting nostalgia win here.

6) Mega Man 4: I love the charge shot, lots of people mark 4 as the downturn of the series, but it is a very solid title that does the series justice. I think how you feel about 4-6 depends alot on how you feel about the charge shot, I love it, as a result I love this game, but many purists hate the charge shot and for that reason(that and not much new being introduced at this point) hate this game

7) Mega Man 6: I loved the rush suits in this game, particularly the jet pack. 6 is probably the easiest game in the series, but the only real complaint I have about it is how clunky it is to constantly switch suits, this game could have really benefited from more buttons.

8) Mega Man 7

9) Mega Man 8 (ps1): I enjoyed 8, but the gameplay felt clunky compared to other games in the series. I also absolutely hated the stupid skateboard segments. Still a fun time, if for nothing else to enjoy the worst voice acting in the history of gaming, I can't help but laugh everytime Dr. Light opens his mouth.

10) Mega Man 10-- I played 10 and 9 in pretty close proximity, after I beat 9, I went back to 6 and then started 10. Mega man 10 is the only game in the series that I did not enjoy at all and it is the only game I am likely to never play again. I felt the level design was not fun and it was hard for all the wrong reasons. A huge step down from 9.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

pook, how have you managed to beat more than a game per day so far this year? I mean, I realize a lot of these games you have played can be super short, but many of them also require a lot of trial and error, route memorizing, etc. in order to be completed without save states, credit-feeding, cheat codes, etc. Are you just using some of these things to play the games through to the credits, or are you beating them all under the default conditions? Either is fine - I am just curious. I don’t think we’ve seen these kinds of numbers from anyone in the 8 years or so we’ve run this thread....

On TNC - the game is more difficult if you try to employ stealth, I think, because neither the AI nor the levels are well designed for it. The game encourages you in a number of ways to try to be stealthy, but there’s really no reason to do so unless you want to go for stealth achievements or some such. By contrast, there are lots of places in the game where a ton of ammo and health is laying around, and enemies always drop weapons and armor, so I never really felt I had to worry about resource management. I think people who have complained about difficulty likely tried to do what the game steered them towards (stealth)...but there’s no real reason to play it that way.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

dsheinem wrote:pook, how have you managed to beat more than a game per day so far this year? I mean, I realize a lot of these games you have played can be super short, but many of them also require a lot of trial and error, route memorizing, etc. in order to be completed without save states, credit-feeding, cheat codes, etc. Are you just using some of these things to play the games through to the credits, or are you beating them all under the default conditions? Either is fine - I am just curious. I don’t think we’ve seen these kinds of numbers from anyone in the 8 years or so we’ve run this thread....

Many of the games on the list are games I have played and beaten so many times that I just blaze through them, stuff like Contra, castlevanias etc are so ingrained in my head that I beat them every time I play them with no cheat codes or save states. Also many of these games are not long, just take yesterday for example, I woke up and played through rescue rangers which is super short and easy, then I played life force, both of these games took me about an hour combined to beat. Life force is tough but its one of those I played so much in my life I know what to expect.

I then played some Nioh, which I am about 11 hours in and far from beating, before playing through Mega Man 3, mega Man 3 is pretty long, took me about 2 hours but I played it straight through, before finally finishing with contra 3, which even though I havent played in a about a year, still managed to beat on my first run with no continues.

All told I played about 4-5 hours of games yesterday, which is about average on vacation days for me.

The exception to this rule is arcade games, arcade games I typically play on MAME and just credit spam to get through, the only time I really use save states is when I am mid game and need to stop for something, then I will save state so I can resume later, but I don't typically save state spam to get through games, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just dont prefer to do it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

dsheinem wrote:On TNC - the game is more difficult if you try to employ stealth, I think, because neither the AI nor the levels are well designed for it. The game encourages you in a number of ways to try to be stealthy, but there’s really no reason to do so unless you want to go for stealth achievements or some such. By contrast, there are lots of places in the game where a ton of ammo and health is laying around, and enemies always drop weapons and armor, so I never really felt I had to worry about resource management. I think people who have complained about difficulty likely tried to do what the game steered them towards (stealth)...but there’s no real reason to play it that way.

Damn, that really more or less kills any interest I had in TNC. It sounds like it has all the issues I had with Old Blood but even worse :cry: . I mean for all the over-emphasized stealth and slower, less interesting story bits that Old Blood had, at the very least it had a really kick-ass final boss :?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Damn, that really more or less kills any interest I had in TNC. It sounds like it has all the issues I had with Old Blood but even worse :cry: . I mean for all the over-emphasized stealth and slower, less interesting story bits that Old Blood had, at the very least it had a really kick-ass final boss :?

There's a lot about TNC to like, and I would probably encourage you to try it when it goes on sale at some point, despite my criticisms. If you don't mind a lot of story and trying to ignore the stealth approach, it is a fun romp with some great levels, memorable scenes, etc.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Agreed. Basically, take advantage of the fact you can throw axes at people if they don't notice you as a way to thin out numbers before you hit the big setpiece battles.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

MrPopo wrote:Agreed. Basically, take advantage of the fact you can throw axes at people if they don't notice you as a way to thin out numbers before you hit the big setpiece battles.

I will consider it. Old Blood honestly felt like a huge waste of my time and really just made me wanna play New Order or Doom again. I have a sinking feeling that TNC would really just do more of the same for me. If I can ever find it for like sub-$10, I may give it a whirl though.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018
The first 50:
Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2
Far Cry 5 - PS4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy - PS4
Soul Calibur 2 - GCN
God of War (2018) - PS4
Orcs and Elves - NDS
Tekken 7 - PS4
House of the Dead 4 Special - PS3
S.A.R. (Search and Rescue) - PS3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - PSVR
Time Crisis: Razing Storm - PS3
Time Crisis IV - PS3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS4
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - 360
Ketsui Kizuna Shigokutachi Extra - PS3
Bad Dudes - Arcade (Wii)
Crude Buster - Arcade (Wii)
Wizard Fire - Arcade (Wii)
Heavy Barrel - Arcade (Wii)
The Bouncer - PS2
Thor: God of Thunder - NDS
Destiny 2: Warmind - PS4
King Oddball - PS4
High Hell - PC
Postal Redux - PC

Super Night Riders - PC
Slap City - PC
Ultraflow - iOS
Grim Dawn - PC
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - PC
Postal 2 - PC *new*

Total: 56

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

This was the first time I've played the infamous Postal 2, and the game certainly lives up to its reputation as a title that is full of juvenile humor, deliberately offensive jokes, and kill-em-all violence. And, I loved it. Playing the game was like being transported back to the burgeoning culture of the Something Awful forums circa the late 1990s/early 2000s, which was super-important to me at that time in my life. Because of this, Postal 2 is in a certain way a very perfect expression of what it is gunning for. I will admit to not caring for the shift from a twin stick shooter (Postal 1) to a FPS (Postal 2) at first, but both games are excellent entries in their respective genres. I peed on a lot of things, smoked a lot of drugs, killed a lot of cops, and murdered countless innocents. And I laughed manically the whole time, enjoying the shit out of it. I can't wait to dive into the expansions...
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

223. Ghouls n ghosts (genesis)
224. Castle of illusion starring Mickey Mouse(genesis)

Castle of illusion is a game that I have never played before and it has been on my list of games to play forever. I've heard nothing but good things about the game and was very excited to finally try it.

I have to say I was incredibly disappointed in this game, the firs thing that grabs me is just how slow the game is. The control is responsive enough but Mickey just slogs through every level, making the game really boring to play.

Level design is pretty trashy as well. It is one of those games that do not know how to do difficulty. It starts off easy enough, probably too easy, but thats okay given that it is a disney game likely aimed at kids. The first few levels I did not die at all, and the only hits I took were when I was jumping over a pit and an enemy that I had no way of knowing was there, just flew into me from offscreen. These little cheap moments are annoying but since the game as a whole is so easy it is more of a nuisance than a hindrance.

The second to last level(the castle level for anyone who has played it) is just a complete mess of trial and error. I made it to this level with about 5 lives and both continues remaining, finished the level with 1 life and 1 continue remaining, it just seems that every step led to another cheap death, the thing is all of these deaths were easy to avoid once you knew they were coming but there was just a lot of replaying the whole level getting over the obstacle, die, and repeat until the level finally ended.

After this mess you go through the easiest swimming level of all time, with the final level being a slog up a clocktower with flying bats everywhere that just made me wish I was playing castlevania. After making your way of up the clocktower you fight 2 more stupidly easy bosses and the game is over.

Overall, this was a huge let down, I honestly did not enjoy any time I spent with this game, and my only consolation is how quickly it was over. I am a huge fan of disney games, rescue rangers, ducktales, darkwing duck, and magical quest are among some of my favorite games as a kid, so i was really expecting to like this game, but I should have expected medioctrity when I turned it on and the Capcom logo did not flash on the screen.