Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I don't think EO5 does anything that would get someone who wasn't already a fan of the series into it, but if you are a fan then it's a fantastic entry.

About how long did it take to beat? And did you play it on Basic or Advanced difficulty?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm slightly insulted you asked if I played on Basic of Advanced :P Advanced, of course. It took about 45 hours to beat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I'm slightly insulted you asked if I played on Basic of Advanced

No offense meant. It's just the vast majority of EO players I meet online play these on the easier difficulties. So I needed context to go with your beaten time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

Post by ConsoleHandheldGamer »

I've only beat 8 games this year, with the latest being Etrian Odyssey IV (on easy). It was the first Etrian Odyssey I've played through and I really enjoyed it. I'm doing the postgame 6th labyrinth and I'm on the last floor.

My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (20:44)
Dragon Quest VII (143:03)
Picross e5 (19:04)
Picross e6 (24:15)
Long Live The Queen
Picross DS (67:58)
Picross e7 (21:45)
Etrian Odyssey IV (beat at 67:08, currently at 77:35)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2017
The first 50:
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch
Shock Troopers - PC (Arcade)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - PC (Arcade)
Gravity Bone -PC
A Thousand Flights of Loving - PC
Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels - PC/X1
Eve: Valkyrie- PSVR
Farpoint - PSVR
Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell - PC
Ghost Squad - Wii
Monument Valley 2 - iOS
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PS4
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 360
Tekken Advance - GBA
100ft Robot Golf - PSVR
Final Fantasy XV: A King's Tale - X1
Star Wars Racer Revenge - PS2
Just Cause 3 - PS4
Toadled - PC
Gulity Gear Xrd -Revelator- PS4
Mortal Kombat XL - PC
Destiny 2 - PS4
Dishonored - PS4
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition - PS4
Nex Machina - PS4
Dying Light - PS4
Arizona Sunshine- PSVR
Dead Rising 3 - X1
Soul Dimension - PSVR
The Bug Butcher - PS4
Super Mario Odyssey - Switch
King of Fighters XIV - - PS4

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4 *new*

Total: 51

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

This is a fairly beefy piece of DLC, clocking in at about 13-14 hours of play time for me (at just over 50% completion). It is largely more of the same as what you find in the main game, though there’s an expansive new area, new weapons and enemies, and a new lengthy main quest. In this case, more of the same is very much a welcome thing as Horizon might be my GOTY. If you enjoyed the main game, this is totally worth getting.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:with the latest being Etrian Odyssey IV (on easy)

I'm not disparaging your choice of EO challenge, but the next time you play an EO, try doing so on Expert/Advanced. The experience will be dramatically different, but not necessarily in a bad way. Rather this higher level of opposition from the games is how they were meant to be played (according to Atlus), and the experience derived thereof has higher highs and lower lows.
dsheinem wrote:Horizon might be my GOTY

How would you contrast it against BotW?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Horizon might be my GOTY

How would you contrast it against BotW?

It is a close call. I am eager to see how the DLC campaign stuff for BotW shakes out, then I'll make my final judgment!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Something I've noticed with the more recent EO games is that there is more flexibility in party building. I remember the first couple games really punishing you if you didn't have a certain number of required pieces because of some sort of fuck you attack a boss would toss out.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I remember the first couple games really punishing you if you didn't have a certain number of required pieces because of some sort of fuck you attack a boss would toss out.

I ran into some of that with Etrian Odyssey Untold while playing through on Expert. I had no idea what I was doing, and had a really hard time with some bosses. I don't know how a first time player would intuitively know what classes they actually needed. Unless they consulted forums or a strategy guide first, before forming their party.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You want to talk non-intuitive, let's talk the dragon trio from the original game. Each has a hit all elemental attack that would also have a high chance of casting a nasty status ailment on the affected targets. No problem, I'll pack my Protector with her Anti-Fire/Ice/Bolt skills and just spam that every turn. Well, if you leveled up those skills too much you screwed yourself. The protection went reduction for the first several points, then there was a level where it completely nullified the element, then past that you would absorb the element. Except if you absorbed the element the attack still hit you and the status was still inflicted. You would actually have to rest your Protector (10 levels back in the day) to reset the skill points if you accidentally put too many points in to go past the nullification point.