Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Segata »

Awful game but have nostalgia for the marketing for that game. It was pretty nuts. Man, they tried to hype this as THE MK killer.
Look at this shit and tell me in 1995 at 12 years old you would not get excited! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EM8qZjRQ0

Then the "behind the scenes" marketing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3e7asgLFQo
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Beaten:
First 50:
1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop
10. Pullblox 3DS eShop
11. Pokémon Picross 3DS eShop
12. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
13. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES
14. Alisia Dragoon Mega Drive
15. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Mega Drive
16. Dynamite Headdy Mega Drive
17. Runbow Wii U eShop
18. The Mystical Ninja starring Goemon N64
19. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 3DS
20. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa 3DS
21. SteamWorld Dig 3DS eShop
22. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch
23. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS1
24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time GC
25. Pilotwings 64 N64
26. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones GBA
27. Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch
28. Life Force NES
29. Bionic Commando NES
30. Bonk's Revenge TGCD
31. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia 3DS
32. Splatoon 2 Switch
33. Shantae & The Pirates Curse 3DS eShop
34. Devil May Cry PSN
35. Team Kirby Clash Deluxe 3DS eShop
36. Blaster Master Wii U VC
37. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes GC
38. Wario Blast! featuring Bomberman Game Boy
39. Astro Boy: Omega Factor GBA
40. Daiku No Gen-San: Ghost Building Company Game Boy
41. Kirby: Planet Robobot 3DS
42. Noobow Game Boy
43. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 Game Boy
44. Mario Golf N64
45. Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-Kun Game Boy
46. Rockman World 5 Game Boy
47. Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! GBC
48. Sonic Mania Switch eShop
49. Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima SFC
50. Super Mario Odyssey Switch

51. Gauntlet IV Mega Drive
52. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World Master System
53. Psycho Fox Master System
54. The Ninja Master System
55. R-Type Master System
56. Momotarō Katsugeki PC Engine
57. Overcooked: Special Edition Switch eShop
58. Parasol Stars PC Engine *NEW*
59. Star Parodier PC Engine *NEW*
60. Cadash PC Engine *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive
4. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble 3DS VC
5. Trip World 3DS VC

Here's reviews 11-13 of 28!

Parasol Stars

Parasol Stars is the third entry in the Bubble Bobble series (ignoring all of those games like ‘Bubble Bobble 2 ‘ and the likes, it’s a slightly confusing series) and is the sequel to Rainbow Islands. Like Rainbow Islands, this game has completely different gameplay mechanics to its predecessors – there’s no spitting bubbles at enemies or climbing rainbows here. Instead, you’ll be making use of your magic umbrella to defeat foes and save multiple planets from the enemy forces.

Aesthetically, Parasol Stars takes a lot from Rainbow Islands. The stage designs are immensely colourful, with primary hues and block colours galore. The enemies and characters in the game are also quite large and round, and very cutesy, with the heroes (Bubby and Bobby) taking on their human appearance from Rainbow Islands too. The sprites are rather large and the whole game has this very ‘Fisher Price’ look to it, but it works well. The game also pays homage to Rainbow Islands in it’s final world, which is based on that game.

The gameplay however has more in common with the first game than Rainbow Islands. As in Bubble Bobble, your goal is to progress through room after room defeating all the enemies on screen. If you take too long they’ll all speed up, and eventually the demonic Baron Von Blubba will appear to stalk you around the level, instantly killing you if he comes into contact.

Luckily, you have many methods at your disposal to defeat your enemies. Your umbrella stuns enemies upon impact, and you can either hold it above your head and jump into them, or hold B to hold it infront of you like a shield and walk into foes to stun them. Stunned enemies can be picked up on top of the umbrella and hurled at other foes, but throwing them along the right spots on the map will reveal items to be gathered for points, and repeating the action often reveals tokens which give extra credits – the key to defeating this game, as it has limited continues by default, and the difficulty, whilst easier than Bubble Bobble, is still challenging later on. Enemies can also be defeated using elemental droplets that fall from some ceiling – gathering enough on your brolley lets you swing and unleash the effects – fire droplets drop to the ground and burn for a while killing enemies who touch it, water droplets rush down the stage defeating enemies caught in the stream, lightning droplets fly straight ahead and through walls, defeating enemies it touches, and star droplets cascade in a spiral outwards destroying everything on stream, and are the best by far.

Like earlier games in the series, there are lots of items to reveal and secrets to find, but finding them is all a bit cryptic. I don’t have a manual for the game either, so the effects of them can be hard to figure sometimes. There are shoes which speed you up, and ‘miracles’ based on the 4 elements (water, fire, lightning, star) which clear the level of enemies in some extravagant way. The game also features secret doors akin to Bubble Bobble, but triggering those is something I haven’t figured out how to do as of yet – I found one at the end of world 3 which gave me an item granting 99 continues, which made the rest of the game significantly easier to complete – I had 91 at the end. The true final world of the game also requires you to open a secret door by finding 3 Star miracles in the preceding levels, but unfortunately it doesn’t tell you about this until you get there, so I didn’t have the required divinity – I’d found 2 star and 1 fire miracle instead, and went to the ‘normal’ bad ending.

Parasol Stars is a fun little game which is easier than it’s predecessors but still offers up enough challenge to be fun. Whilst the mechanics are simpler than the earlier game in the series, I actually think they’re also more fun, and this game would be my pick for the best of the trilogy. If you have a Turbografx or PC Engine and can afford the price of the game (my PC Engine HuCard-only copy was about £25 IIRC, but the Turbografx copy price is probably as extortionate as everything else on the US system) it’s well worth picking up – a must-have for the system.

Star Parodier

So, I’ve written about both an entry in the Gradius series this year (Life Force on NES) and an entry in the R-Type series this year (just recently, the SMS port) and whilst I liked the latter more than the former, I did say that I find both of these classic shmup franchises to be unfair in their design and hard to stomach nowadays.

On the other hands, there are some classic series of shmups I really adore – those put out by Hudson and Compile, the likes of Star Soldier and Aleste. I find these games to be much more forgiving overall whilst still mainting some fun challenge – they’re just much friendlier to continue in upon death, thanks to their more lenient damage system (your weapons lower when hit, and you only die when your weapon is at it’s weakest level) and it’s many ways to boost your defences via powering up weapons, grabbing shield power ups, and the ‘golden lives’ system which lets you respawn where you died instead of being sent back to a checkpoint upon death. I also find the games fun due to the large weapon variety on offer giving you many ways to tackle the game.

The PC Engine featured many great games in these series, including Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Final Soldier and Blazing Lazers, and they were all fantastic. Star Parodier is to these games what Parodius is to Gradius – a loving parody of the series as a whole with goofy enemies, silly weapon and boss designs and a bright, cartoony aesthetic. It’s also pretty great.

The story goes that a planet is under attack from the evil Mother Brain (she sure gets about, huh?) and so they send out a call for help. That call reaches a ship being piloted by the Bombermen for some reason, who hold a war council and decide to build shipsto send out and save the planet. And so three ships are construct – the Paro-Caeser, a chibi-fied version of the classic Star Soldier ship and the games token ‘boring’ option; the Giant Bomber, a giant bomberman robot who shoots bombs and balloon enemies from the classic Bomberman game as it’s attacks; and the PC Engine, a giant anthropomorphic PC Engine console loaded with Super Star Soldier, which attacks with CDs. The latter is my ship of choice thanks to it’s second weapon, which shoots homing missiles.

Each of the 3 ships can be armed with one of 3 primary weapons obtained via grabbing coloured power ups, which differ based on your ship of choice – the PC Engine grabs HuCards whilst Bomberman has the flame power icon from his own games. They can also grab letter icons which offer power ups – the S power up grants shields, B arms you extra bombs and another letter which I forget and never used grants moving options to form a barrier, but replaces the shield so in my opinion was rarely worth it. You can also grab orbs to power up your weapon over time and hearts which turn normal lives into golden lives allowing for instant respawns upon death. Like Blazing Lazers, the game is also fairly generous with extra lives, and you’ll have accumulated plenty by the end of the game – I finished with about 18 left.

The worlds you visit in game are colourful and silly, but they could probably be a bit wackier – they’re lovely to look at but not as crazy as they perhaps could have been. However, you’ll explore a theme park and fight a roller-coaster boss, fight an evil tangram set at the end of a toy level, take on a maraca shaking sunfish in an underwater stage, and in the games most memorable moment, fly over the first level of Bomberman and fight a giant robotic Black Bomber as the boss. Black Bomber fights bomberman style – he walks around the grid dropping bombs which blow up shortly after, making you think differently about how to position yourself to avoid attacks.

Star Parodier is a good time, and a surprisingly long shmup with around 9 levels each broken into multiple sections and lasting for some time. Luckily, you’ll be having so much fun with the gameplay and will be bouncing along to the games CD soundtrack so much that it won’t drag (some highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_Vp7dxi6Q and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_OvhtfqqI0). The game being on disc means that it’s not as accessible to everyone as it deserves to be, but if you have the means to play it, definitely give Star Parodier a go, it’s great. And if you don’t have the means to play it, give some thought to downloading the game from the Wii’s Virtual Console service before it disappears, as it’s a great little shmup that will keep you entertained throughout.

Cadash

Cadash is an experience which bought with it some unique challenges for me, as my copy of the game came with my PC Engine Duo when I bought it from Japan, and thus is entirely in a language I can’t read. Considering this game has text which guides you where to go next and what you should be doing, this was a hurdle I’d have to get around using guides and longplay videos on YouTube to read the dialogue of townspeople. I’d love to have just bought the English version instead, but as per usual, Turbografx games which need English to be playable cost the earth, so I wasn’t sure the investment would be worth it. Having now played through Cadash, I don’t think the price would have been justified, but that’s not to say the game isn’t good – I rather enjoyed it.

Cadash features a band of 4 heroes adventuring to save the King’s daughter from an evil magician who kidnapped her and is threatening to destroy/take over the world. The 4 heroes summoned to save the day include the mighty Warrior, who basically sucks and is the worst character by far, the speedy Ninja, who makes use of some long range weaponry to attack from afar, the wise Wizard, who has weak attacks and defences for exploring the levels, but a range of lethal spells which can destroy bosses quickly, and the devout Cleric, who is ridiculously powerful and breaks the game in half over her knee, and is who I played as. The Cleric features long-range attacks with her ranged flail, self-healing via her early spells, and most importantly, an incredibly powerful shield spell which soaks up multiple hits and allows you to just walk through some of the games hardest sections, and to defeat bosses without even taking damage. The PC Engine port allows for 2 player co-op gameplay, but I don’t have the multitap or an extra controller, so I did this one solo.

Cadash is an arcade port, so despite its RPG leanings, it’s fairly brisk in pacing. You progress to each village, find some info about what to do next, buy some new armour and weapons and stock up on healing items (you only have one life and no continues, so dying is game over in single player – in multiplayer the other play can revive you in town), then advance to the next side scrolling dungeon, most of which are fairly linear, defeat monsters and the boss, and then progress to the next town. Some grinding is required early on in order to be able to tank hits from the bosses (the best tactic for them is normally just to go gung ho and attack repeatedly whilst not attempting to dodge their hits), and more as you progress, but it rarely takes longer than a few minutes before you’ll push onwards again.

Cadash features lots of interesting little quests which create the impression of a fun little fantasy world – you’ll rescue mermaids, shrink down to talk to gnomes and talk to animals along your journey, giving it a whimsical vibe. The English port was done by Working Designs (which can’t help it’s price) and so the English script comes with the usual references and 4th wall breaks they liked to do every so often, which snaps you out of your sense of immersion like whiplash, but it’s nothing too egregious. The game is very short though, and takes less than an hour to beat, and whilst it’s a fun time to play through, it’s not one I’ll be rushing back to frequently, especially thanks to the English troubles I have! It’s likely to be a lot of fun to play alongside a friend though, so I must try to get a multitap and inflict it on my buddy sometime.

Cadash is a fun little game, but it can’t justify its price for the English copy, and the effort of using a longplay to play the Japanese version seems a bit much for what the game is. Give it a play if you have access to it, but I wouldn’t rush out and spend a fortune on it despite it being a good time. There are cheaper games worth your time on the system.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2017
The first 50:
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch
Shock Troopers - PC (Arcade)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - PC (Arcade)
Gravity Bone -PC
A Thousand Flights of Loving - PC
Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels - PC/X1
Eve: Valkyrie- PSVR
Farpoint - PSVR
Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell - PC
Ghost Squad - Wii
Monument Valley 2 - iOS
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PS4
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 360
Tekken Advance - GBA
100ft Robot Golf - PSVR
Final Fantasy XV: A King's Tale - X1
Star Wars Racer Revenge - PS2
Just Cause 3 - PS4
Toadled - PC
Gulity Gear Xrd -Revelator- PS4
Mortal Kombat XL - PC
Destiny 2 - PS4
Dishonored - PS4
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition - PS4
Nex Machina - PS4
Dying Light - PS4
Arizona Sunshine- PSVR
Dead Rising 3 - X1
Soul Dimension - PSVR
The Bug Butcher - PS4
Super Mario Odyssey - Switch
King of Fighters XIV - - PS4

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
Alienation - PS4 *new*
Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain - PC/X1 *new*

Total: 53

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

Alienation is the third Housemarque game I have beaten in the past few months, and is arguably one of their best. It is quite punishing at points (especially the final level of the campaign), but it is a satisfying match up of stuff like Diablo with stuff like Dead Nation. If you have enjoyed any Housemarque titles, I think you would really dig this one. I am going to try and check out Matterfall soon...anyone play that yet?

Forza Horizon 3 is the best racing game ever made that isn't Dirt Rally VR, and this expansion is a welcome change-up to the setting of the main game and of the other (better) Hot Wheels expansion. If you have played much of the main game you know what to expect...but I think both the expansions for FH3 are arguably more interesting and more fun than the already excellent base game.

So in order to hit 700 games beaten (in 8 years), I am trying to get through 12 more in the next 28 days. Should be a ride!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Cadash owns! The ninja is the best in my opinion. Ranged attacks, with no awkward spells.

I agree the TG16 version is too expensive these days, I paid "only" $50 for my card-only copy years ago and it felt damn expensive then...

The Genesis version is worth checking out. It's inferior, but some of the changes made are interesting. It has an actual life/continue system. I think it's a North American exclusive though, oddly enough.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Cadash owns! The ninja is the best in my opinion. Ranged attacks, with no awkward spells.

I agree the TG16 version is too expensive these days, I paid "only" $50 for my card-only copy years ago and it felt damn expensive then...

The Genesis version is worth checking out. It's inferior, but some of the changes made are interesting. It has an actual life/continue system. I think it's a North American exclusive though, oddly enough.

I think you're underestimating the 'awkward' spells tbh. The shield spell the Cleric gets could tank dozens of hits before wearing off - it's not even time limited, it just blocks a certain number of hits before vanishing. The Cleric's weapon also stretches the length of the screen so it hits as far as the Ninja's too.

I think we can both agree the Warrior sucks the hardest though, right?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm lazy and always go with melee classes over those that use spells.

I actually don't mind the warrior. :lol: Used him in the Genesis version, which only has two classes total. He becomes a tank pretty quickly.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The wizard a the only character I have trouble with, really. The cleric is the best tank, but despite her range her attack power is only mediocre and her weapon is a little slow. The ninja and fighter can deal out the pain a lot faster.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)
18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
19. Darkwing Duck (NES)
20. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
21. Ico (PS2)
22. Final Fantasy V (SNES)
23. Mega Man X (SNES)
24. Beyond Good & Evil (XBOX)
25. Beetle Adventure Racing! (N64)
26. Sonic Adventure (DC)
27. Giga Wing (DC)
28. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (XBOX)
29. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
30. Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole (GEN)
31. Soul Calibur II (GCN)
32. Destruction Derby 64 (N64)
33. Faxanadu (NES)
34. Sudeki (XBOX)

35. Skies of Arcadia (DC)

I beat Skies of Arcadia on the Sega Dreamcast this evening!

Skies of Arcadia was one of the major reasons that I decided to pick up a Dreamcast. I had absolutely fabulous words about the game and since I love JRPG's, I knew I had to play it for myself. I was thinking of skipping to the GameCube port, but I really wanted to play the original first and experience it on the original console. When I went out shopping for Dreamcast games initially, I could not find the game and I was very disappointed. Thankfully, a few months after owning the Dreamcast, I walked into one of my game stores and I saw it sitting there. I walked out with the game and I finally got to experience it for myself.

Skies of Arcadia is absolutely one of the best JRPG's I have ever played and the best Dreamcast game I have played to this date. I had very high expectations going into the game and the game exceeded every aspect of them. The story is gripping with unexpected turns throughout the entire journey. The characters are some of the most likable and unique that I have ever seen in a JRPG. Each one of them had a fleshed out backstory and their own personality. The graphics and colors absolutely blew me away. The Dreamcast is known for its colorful games and Skies of Arcadia is colorful and then some! The actual polygons look a bit dated, but the actual colors and look of the game is completely timeless. With unique areas and a large world, it is just a blast to explore every inch of the game. The battle system is so easy to get into, but it is so complex that it can grow from regular enemies to boss fights rather seamlessly. It is never too complex or falls apart on top of its own weight. The airship battles are unique and I was beginning to really enjoy them at the end of the game.

Overall, Skies of Arcadia is an absolute blast to play. I put over 50 hours into the game and I never tired of it once. In fact, I wanted the game to keep going at the end. Plain and simple, Skies of Arcadia is just a fun game to play. It is the perfect definition of JRPG comfort food. It's something I know and love and go back to time and time again. It is home cooking and that warm feeling of playing an absolutely wonderful game. If you have any desire to play a JRPG, I insist that you play Skies of Arcadia. It's one of the best I have ever played and one of the best games I have played all year long!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That game kicks ass. I generally like simple, light, and breezy old JRPGs, but Skies of Arcadia is the one huge epic 50+ hour adventure that just does everything right. It owns.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Markies wrote:Overall, Skies of Arcadia is an absolute blast to play. I put over 50 hours into the game and I never tired of it once.

Congrats on beating one of the best JRPGs out there. The Legends version has enough extra content that I put 65 hours into it to finish everything. I hope someday you play the Legends version to experience the differences. But the Dreamcast version is of course still excellent.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.