Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)
8/12: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)
8/15: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Steam)
8/25: Ziggurat (Steam)
9/11: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
9/25: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Steam)
9/27: Freedom Planet (GOG)
9/27: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord (GOG)
10/15: Mad Maestro! (PS2)
10/16: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
11/5: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd (PS3)
11/14: eden*: They were only two, on the planet (Steam)
11/16: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU DL)
11/18: Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God (Vita)
11/28: Undertale (Steam)
11/28: Fantasy Life (3DS)

Total: 39 games

Sorcery Saga
A really adorable looking rogue-like :) I've only really played one rogue-like besides this (the first being Dungeons of Dreadmor, even if I didn't know it was a rogue-like before) so it definitely was quite a bit different from of other games I've played. I really enjoyed the procedurally-generated levels, collecting different items, and how simple but quick the combat was. Also I absolutely loved the music. It's a bit odd at times, which makes me think of NIS's tunes a bit, but they tend to fit the mood well and I have stopped playing for a bit just to listen to the music. I think only one or two tracks were not very good. My only gripes with it is how sometimes I'll get a TON of unidentified items but no way to identify them (which honestly I only found mildly annoying) and there were quite a few times where the frame rate would be really bad, often if I just ate some curry (which has some sparkly affects). Still, I really enjoyed this and I'll definitely be trying out other rouge-likes in the future.

Undertale
Honestly I thought I would be a little underwhelmed by this game, since I've heard so many people say how great it was (at least, in the artist community... not sure sure anywhere else tbh). But I gave it a fair go and honestly I absolutely love it. Mostly what brings me in is the charm of the characters and the little things that happen or are said, but also how unique the combat is. I guess it kind of takes what you expect of a standard turn-based RPG and turns it on it's head a bit, so it's a bit of a breath of fresh air I suppose. Honestly it's super difficult for me to explain since you really need to play it to understand it I guess... also I really don't want to spoil it ><; It's really good though! (and hilarious at times, at least for me) I'm going to be replaying it a few times for the other endings :)

Fantasy Life
Unfortunately I've been hyping this game for myself for years, so it fell a little bit under my expectations (as I should of expected). However, I still had a good enough time with it. I liked how it had a lot of non-combat classes which you can switch to at any time, since I kind of missed non-combat classes from when I used to play Mabinogi. It's really quite relaxing in Fantasy Life, but I did have a bit of trouble playing a lot of it at one time since it can be a little grindy as you try and get certain ingredients for recipes. The combat was also a little dull for me, but you hardly have to do any for the story if you don't want to. The story itself was ok I suppose, but what made it a bit better was how silly the character dialogue was. They tend to say things that I wasn't expecting, so at least it wasn't a chore to sit through or anything (which is very good since there is a lot of it!). So I am still happy I bought and played it, but I kind of wish I didn't get so excited to play it and got it a little bit cheaper than I did :l
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I really enjoyed this and I'll definitely be trying out other rouge-likes in the future.

Since you have a 3DS, I think you should nab this one next:

Roguelikes are a genre that I personally have a lot of admiration for. If you're looking for recommendations for any specific platform I'm glad to help.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

@Lauren

The best way that I can describe undertale's combat system is like this. You are a heart that must either avoid or collect objects flying at you. The rules as to how you do that change constantly and qhat is being thrown at you is unique to each enemy so the experience is unique and always fluctuating.

The beauty in the combat system is just that, they created a very simplistic idea that allowed them to explore a huge variety of options. I absolutely adore the game, although I am about 4-6 hours in, I am truly enthralled by the cast of characters and broad range of emotions. They capture your heart and imagination in surprising ways.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:Indeed you should.

Question: are there any save games or such that transfer between the various Shadowruns? if I built a character for Shadowrun Returns, is it possible to play as that character in Dragonfall or Hong Kong?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:I really enjoyed this and I'll definitely be trying out other rouge-likes in the future.

Since you have a 3DS, I think you should nab this one next:

Roguelikes are a genre that I personally have a lot of admiration for. If you're looking for recommendations for any specific platform I'm glad to help.

Been on my wishlist for a while now. I mean, it's a composite of two of my favorite RPG franchises, Etrian Odyssey (currently playing Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is a remake of EO1, and am wondering if they're also gonna remake EO3 like they also did with EO2, cuz then I can go to EO4) and Mystery Dungeon (which aside from the Pokemon entries, which are fun AF and I wanna get Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, is mostly marginalized here in the US and mostly relegated to the odd localization, though they've gotten better at localizing recent entries for the most part), the latter of which iirc made me fall in love with roguelikes (though I'm very particular about which ones I play).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Indeed you should.

Question: are there any save games or such that transfer between the various Shadowruns? if I built a character for Shadowrun Returns, is it possible to play as that character in Dragonfall or Hong Kong?

Nope. Each one is a unique experience. There is a mini campaign coming out for Hong Kong that will let you import your existing Hong Kong characters (and it'll have high end enemies).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Exhuminator wrote:

Yeah I've definitely been looking at Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I like Etrian Odyssey and it's such an odd combo imo.

And do you know of any good PS2 rougelikes? I can think of a few rougelikes on other systems, but not PS2 for some reason :/ (which is one of my favorite consoles ha)

@Bogus Wow you are way better with words than I am! :lol: (although I admit I was a little tired when writing that ><) Have you beat the game yet? The ending is one of the best parts which is why I'm asking :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:And do you know of any good PS2 rougelikes?

For pure roguelike gameplay, there's The Nightmare of Druaga and Baroque available with official English releases.

Then there's Rogue Hearts Dungeon and Torneko Adventures 3: Mysterious Dungeon which are Japanese only, but both are manageable with a guide. Those games are both pure roguelike as well.

Lastly, there's Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, and Crimson Tears also available in English officially. Those three games are not pure roguelikes, but incorporate strong roguelike elements in their design, so they count in my book.

A lot of people didn't know that the "International" version of Final Fantasy X-2 included a bonus called "Last Mission". Last Mission takes place in Yadonoki Tower, and is a roguelike adventure. Here's a screenshot:

So technically that's another roguelike on PS2. However, the PS2 version is Japanese only. Good news though, if you buy Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster, it comes with Last Mission included. So you can experience its FF+roguelike mashup in English.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So Baroque is a weird kind of roguelike. It's real time rather than turn based, and it requires a lot of weird doings to be able to progress, including a bunch of required deaths. I still have no clue what the actual story of the game is even though I beat it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Actually, Torneko Adventure 3 is a sequel to a PS1 game released over here as Torneko: The Last Hope, which in turn is a sequel to a Japan-only Super Famicom title (fan-translated, same with Shiren the Warrior). It and Chocobo's Dungeon 2 are two entries in the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise that came out Stateside at the time.

Two of the Shiren the Wanderer titles came out here later on, for Wii and DS (the PSP version didn't but there's a fan-translation).

And The Nightmare of Druaga is part of the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise iirc (on the cover the words "Fushigino Dungeon" appear at the bottom, with "Fushigi No Dungeon" being Japanese for "Dungeon of Mystery", where "Mystery Dungeon" comes from.

But by then the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles began coming out here in the states (aside from the WiiWare ports of the trio of DS titles, all of the PMD titles came been localized iirc).

As for non-"Mystery Dungeon" roguelikes, there's:

* Azure Dreams for PS1 (there's a GBC port which is naturally scaled down)
* Tao's Adventure for DS (sequel to Azure Dreams)
* Fatal Labyrinth for Genesis (appeared on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360 and PS3, and there's a Steam port, like a vast assortment of old Genesis titles)
* the Diablo series
* Dungeons of Dredmor for computers (Windows, Mac, Linux), which features support for user-made modifications and also has a "wicked sense of humor" (quoting Ars Technica's Josh McIllwain)
* Desktop Dungeons for computers, iOS and Android, which is more strategic and condensed in nature, with sessions taking roughly 10 minutes
* Spelunky (do I need to mention this?)
* The Binding of Isaac (if you haven't heard of this, log your ass off and don't come back until you do... I'm serious!)
* Rogue Legacy for computers, Xbox One and the PlayStation family (3, 4, Vita), which is a platform hack'n'slash roguelike
* Izuna series for DS
* Dragon Crystal for Master System and Game Gear (the latter is also available on the 3DS Virtual Console)
* 100 Rogues for iOS and Ouya (I loved the iOS version and love the Ouya version, but if they can do it on iOS and therefore use touchscreen AND can make it for an Android-based console like the Ouya, then why the HELL is this not available on Android smartphones and tablets?!?!)
* Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman for PSP (much like a typical NIS tactical RPG meets a "Mystery Dungeon"-style roguelike)
* The Guided Fate Paradox for PS3 (a spiritual successor to ZHP)
* Sword of the Stars: The Pit for computers, with Xbox 360, iOS and Android ports planned (love this on PC), based on the Sword of the Stars franchise and is basically a sci-fi roguelike.
* Don't Starve for computers, PS3, PS4, Xbox One and WiiU. But it's not a true roguelike.
* Darkest Dungeons for computers, PS4 and Vita.
* Dankest Dungeons, a GameBoy-style demake of the above for PC, made for mini Ludum Dare 50