Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Post by dsheinem »

Puppetmasterlegacy.jpg
Puppetmasterlegacy.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

We are long past the direct-to-video horizon for this annual thread, which certainly means it should be even better than ever. Here's a quick trip down memory lane:

dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play? (games)
dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR 2011! What games are you playing? (games)
noiseredux' month of horror (movies) (movies)
The MONTH OF HORROR 3: Season of the Dream Warriors (games)
noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012 (movies)
The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux (combined games and movies)
Month of Horror V: the Seed of dsheinem & noiseredux (combined games and movies)
noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR VI (2015) (remake) (movies)
The 2016 October Horror Marathon (movies)
Spooky time games for spooky times (games)

In any case, unless anyone objects, I will pop this thread up as a catch-all place for horror movie watching and horror-game playing during the month of October 2017.

What are you planning to play and watch?
Last edited by dsheinem on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Leg

Post by Michi »

Yeeeeeesssssssssss!

Not sure what I'll watch tonight, but let the ravenous bloodshed begin. I can barely contain my excitement.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

It's alive! It's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!

I love this thread, and I can't wait to read what everyone's watching this year.

Other than what's available for streaming in Amazon and Netflix, here's what I've got lined up for this year:

Annabelle
Audition
The Cat and The Canary (1927)
The Children of the Damned
Cloverfield
The Creeping Flesh
Dark Places (1973)
The Devil's Nightmare
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
The Evil Dead (2013)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Godzilla (2014)
Horror of Dracula
The Strangers
The Thing (2011)

My wife and I started off last night with:

1. Unfriended (2014)

It is an interesting conceit - the entire film consists of a "tracking shot" of a teenager's computer screen while she surfs the internet and talks with her "friends" on Skype on the anniversary of another teen's suicide - and it is well-executed. All of the character's are so unlikeable, however, and whil the film is generally creepy and suspenseful, it isn't really all that scary. (I don't use social media all that much, though. Maybe if you are way into Facebook, it is the scariest thing ever. I don't know.). Accordingly, and while I respect it tremendously, I give it a... :|

Right now, I'm watching Dark Places (1973). It is a public domain, British horror film with Christopher Lee, which is cool enough, but it also features...JOAN COLLINS!!! So far, it is exactly what I wanted.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Awesome. I was just PMing Ack about this last week. I'm in. Already watched 2 movies and listened to several episodes of The No Sleep Podcast. I will list those podcast as I listen to them daily. For anyone looking to get in some extra horror I can highly recommend their show. 3 stories a week are free.

This year I am most excited to watch The Hatchet Trilogy :shock:

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 5
• The No Sleep Podcast: I Live in Her Walls
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Kings Inn Motel
• The No Sleep Podcast: Moomaw's Curses
• The No Sleep Podcast: I First Met the Devil When I was Eight Years Old
• The No Sleep Podcast: I am an Exterminator in a College Town

Movies - Count: 2
1. It Follows (2014)

I can't say much about this one without spoilers. It was a bit of a victim of its own hype for me. This movie somehow became very main stream a few years back. Watching it today, it does somehow manage to stand out and be different from the herd although the entire theme of the movie is based around a well known staple of the horror genre. It is unique and worth a watch IMO.

It Follows is streaming on Netflix at the time of this posting.

2. The Cave (2005)

This one actually has some decently famous talent in Cole Hauser (Riddick), Lena Heady (Game of Thrones, 300, Dredd), and Piper Perabo (Coyote Ugly). The acting actually isn't bad for a horror thriller. The cave setting and sense of claustrophobia is there. The production value is fairly decent for 2005. So what went wrong for it to be a 5.1/10 on IMDB and 11% fresh on RT? This movie reminds me if The Chronicles of Riddick and The Descent had a baby... that was an underachiever compared to the parents.

First off, the poster is way off. There is no giant whale sized creature. What terrible marketing. That is suppose to symbolize the cave being their death I guess? This about a group of cave divers who encounter a group of predatory creatures while mapping a deep cave system. There is some cool use of lighting, but it just goes to show you how wonderful the direction in The Descent was with using flares, head lamps, and glow sticks as much of that film's lighting. One scene in particular in this one with Piper Perabo stands out as memorable for me. It is tense and highlights the creatures were fairly well done. That scene shows the potential was there, but the movie itself doesn't fully hit it's mark. I don't regret watching this one. It just falls a bit flat. Overall, not terrible, not great. Watch The Descent first.

This Cave is streaming for free on Crackle (with ads) at the time of this posting.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

lol, nice poster.

Like most years my wife and I made a list too big for October, so we started in September. I did a shitty job of posting about those movies in the movies thread though. Off the top of my head we already watched Silent House, The Blackcoat's Daughter, Scooby-Doo, Teaching Mrs. Tingle, The Faculty, Scary Movie, American Psycho, Get Out, Anabelle, Veronika Decides To Die... probably some more I'm forgetting already.

Anyway, I'll try to do better at actually posting about stuff during October itself.

As for games, I mentioned it elsewhere but I'm planning a weekly game night w/ my wife (dubbed "Spooky Tuesday") for such games. Tentative lineup includes Limbo, Layers Of Fear, Oxenfree, RE Revelations 2, and possibly Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. I'm also planning to play through RE6 with a friend throughout the month. And I guess I'll be re-re-attempting Bioshock. I was planning to pick up The Evil Within 2, but I kind of feel like I have enough to keep me busy this month already.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Started off today by streaming Cronenberg's 1979 The Brood, which was entirely new to me. The film has a slow-building creepiness and by the time you get to the last 10-15 minutes it is quite intense and nicely executed.

A great start! (As an interesting aside, Ebert's old review was hilariously damning.)

I am now going to dig into Dying Light to see what that game's all about...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The Brood is very good. Have you seen Rabid or Shivers? Those are two of my favorite (non-Videodrome) Cronenberg movies.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:The Brood is very good. Have you seen Rabid or Shivers? Those are two of my favorite (non-Videodrome) Cronenberg movies.

No, though they are on my "to watch" list. Cronenberg movies I have seen:

The Brood (1979)
Scanners (1981)
Videodrome (1983)
The Fly (1986)
eXistenZ (1999)
A History of Violence (2005)
Eastern Promises (2007)

As I look through the rest of his filmography, obviously I have a lot of catching up to do!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

As far as spooky gaming goes, I just finished The Addams Family for Genesis. It's by no means a great game, but I had a fun with it. An average-quality 16-bit platformer featuring The Addams Family and some spooky enemies was EXACTLY what I was in the mood for!

As for watching, I started re-watching Tales from the Crypt season 1 today and plan to get through the second season this month. I already have tickets purchased for several spooky screenings at a nearby Alamo Drafthouse including Vampire in Brooklyn, Creature from the Black Lagoon (in 3D), and "Dismember the Alamo" which is five horror films in 35mm. I'm also planning on seeing It as soon as I've finished the book, which I've been slowly chipping away at.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »