noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR (2015) (remake)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR (2015) (remake)

Post by noiseredux »

y'all know the drill. October is before us, time to start talking about horror movies, horror games, and showing off pics of your Halloween decorations and costumes (people costumes and cat costumes).

Past threads:

noiseredux' month of horror (movies)
noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012
The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux
Month of Horror V: the Seed of dsheinem & noiseredux

My wife and I put together a pile of DVD's to watch leading up to Halloween this year, and started on em last week. So to get the ball rolling I'll re-post those here...

generic title, but a hidden gem if you ask me. I've seen it a couple times now. Basically these horror fans are trying to track down info on an 80's slasher that was so controversial it was banned and all known prints destroyed. Crazy meta stuff happens as they try to find the film. Totally worth seeing.

the horror thread hasn't started, but my wife and I have already begun going through our pile of Halloween-time stuff to watch this year. We're *trying* to focus on stuff we've not seen OR at least not seen in a long time. Stuff we're less familiar with.

As such, we decided to go with a double-feature of Dark Castle remakes...

House Of Wax was actually a lot better than I remembered it. I last saw it whenever it was released on DVD. At the time I remember it being a vehicle to promote Paris Hilton's acting career. But in reality the movie is starring Elisha Cuthbert <3 ...Paris is in the beginning of the movie for like 15 mins, and there's a couple of sextape jokes. Then she shows up in the last reel just long enough to do a striptease and get butchered. Elisha on the other hand makes a pretty great little screamqueen in this one. And the movie is actually a heck of a lot of fun (and quite a bit gorier than I recalled). If you've avoided this for whatever reason, it's actually worth checking out. Don't expect anything incredible. But do see it if you're just wanting something fun.

Thir13en Ghosts on the other hand was way worse than I remembered. It's a slick looking movie. But ultimately it just feels like some stuff thrown together as a means to showing off some crazy CGI. I basically had trouble believing that any of these people were even people, nevermind having believable motivations. I mean it was still fun or whatever. Just not really good. I seem to recall from the last time I saw it (jeez, probably 2003-ish) that there was some bonus feature stuff that goes into the backstory of all the ghosts... and to my memory that stuff was a lot more interesting than the story bits that made it into the actual film.

watched s'more from our "things to watch before Halloween" pile.

I always really liked H20. It does a good job of feeling like 'the third movie' in the series. As much as I really like the sequels w/ Jamie (Danielle Harris) and all that, it's cool to go back to the Laurie Strode stuff. It also manages to make the series feel comfortable as a 90's (read: post-Scream) slasher. In fact it even has a brief appearance of Scream 2 on TV (Buffy <3). Also, the end - and I mean the last like 5 seconds of the movie - is absolutely brilliant. I wish more slashers had the balls to end in such a fashion.

The Entity is crazy. This is a 1982 movie about a woman who is repeatedly assaulted in her bedroom by a poltergeist. Yes, you know what I mean. As silly as that might sound, it's a pretty creepy and disturbing film. It's a bit too long in my opinion, but it's definitely a unique one. It goes into a lot of 'is this real or is this woman crazy' stuff. BTW, the movie is based on a book which was based on a real life case of a woman who claimed this was happening to her. There's an Unsolved Mysteries episode about the real woman.
Ack

Re: noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR (2015) (remake)

Post by Ack »

Hell yeah, son!

This year for my October horror movie marathon, I decided to switch things up a bit and go for a consistent theme. While I can watch all of the horror movies I want, the only ones that will count towards my 31 movie marathon must be entries in established franchises. For a franchise, I mean the film series must at least be a trilogy in length. And I also cannot have already seen it, so all of Critters is out.

That said, this still gives me a reasonably sized pool of potentials to pick from. There are 6 Wrong Turn films, 4 Ghoulies, 3 Basket Cases, 12 Amityville films(with another due out next year), 5 Carnosaurs, 3 It's Alive films, 9 Children of the Corns(including the remake), 6 Silent Night, Deadly Nights(including the remake), 10 Puppet Masters...yeah, quite an array that I can choose from.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:Hell yeah, son!

Boom-shaka-laka!

This is one of my very favorite threads, and I may have to watch a horror movie tonight just so that I can start posting in it!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

yesssssssssssssssss
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

lol @ Hobgoblins & Deadly Friend headsplosion.

Jordy, make it Starry Eyes. I so want someone else to see that and talk about it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Noise fails, it's Ghoulies II. Nobody should watch Hobgoblins.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Yay! My favorite thread of the year has returned!

I humbly submit this header image (that I may or may not have started over a week ago in anticipation) as an offering to its greatness:

month_of_horrorVI.jpg
month_of_horrorVI.jpg (98.62 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

you are the best, Michi!

(Have I really done this thread 6 years now?)

@Ack: haha, I've only seen the first Ghoulies. And yeah nobody should see Hobgoblins because it's terrible. But everyone should see the Hobgoblins MST3k episode, because it's terrible.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Man, we liked MenegrothX so much, we put him on the banner twice!

Seriously though, awesome job, Michi!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I was able to find these past threads:

I think Dave called the 3rd one Part IV and fourth one Part V because he was counting his Horror Games thread from 2010 as Part I. I had no horror thread in 2010, and the 2011 and 2012 horror movie threads I did were separate from his horror games threads.