Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:But I am talking about the sports games on your list.

1. NHL '94 (SCD) - no season mode, so I considered winning the Stanley Cup as beaten. There's really no higher achievement I can think of in this game.

17. Boxing (PS2), 18. Skiing (PS2), 19. Ice Hockey (PS2) - these are actually 2600 games from the Activision Anthology. IIRC all three had a time-limit that you had to withstand (and obviously have the higher score than your opponent in Boxing and Ice Hockey). Obviously old games like this are pretty subjective as far as "beaten."

30. Madden NFL 08 (PC) - Perfect season and won the Super Bowl. I suppose there's that Dynasty or Legacy or whatever mode, but I'm not going to play 50 seasons to feel that I've beaten a football game.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

noiseredux wrote:

1. NHL '94 (SCD) - no season mode, so I considered winning the Stanley Cup as beaten. There's really no higher achievement I can think of in this game.

Yeah, it's a shame that '94 doesn't have a season mode, so winning a 7 game playoff series is considered "beating the game". You get the Cup, skate around in joy, and start with a new team.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:

17. Boxing (PS2), 18. Skiing (PS2), 19. Ice Hockey (PS2) - these are actually 2600 games from the Activision Anthology. IIRC all three had a time-limit that you had to withstand (and obviously have the higher score than your opponent in Boxing and Ice Hockey). Obviously old games like this are pretty subjective as far as "beaten."

30. Madden NFL 08 (PC) - Perfect season and won the Super Bowl. I suppose there's that Dynasty or Legacy or whatever mode, but I'm not going to play 50 seasons to feel that I've beaten a football game.

I guess due to the nature of sports games, and similar to most MMOs, I feel like they cant really be completed. I always just mark em as N/A on my list.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I guess due to the nature of sports games, and similar to most MMOs, I feel like they cant really be completed. I always just mark em as N/A on my list.

see, this is going to get into the whole "beaten" vs. "completed" thing though.

So to me, playing a full season of Madden and winning the Super Bowl is beating the game. And playing the 50 season Dynasty Mode thing is "completing" it. Similar to how y'know, beating the final boss in Tomb Raider was beating the game, but going for 100% is completing it.

Or another way of saying it is I look at a full season and winning the Super Bowl to be the "single player campaign."
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

January-June (the first 50)
Commander Keen Episode 1: Marooned on Mars - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Live Freemium or Die - PC
Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - PC
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - PS3
Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - PC
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - PC
Street Fighter IV - iOS
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - Vita
The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim - 360/PC
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - GBC
Killzone: Mercenary - Vita
Galaga Legions DX - PS3
Angry Birds Star Wars II - iOS
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Vita
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower - PSP
Little Inferno - iOS
The Stanley Parable - PC
Plants vs. Zombies - - Vita
Device 6 - iOS
Gone Home - PC
Touch My Katamari - Vita
Bulletstorm - 360
Call of Duty: Ghosts - PS4
Killzone Shadowfall - - PS4
Gun Commando - Vita
XMAS Doom '99 - PC
Hero of Sparta - PSP
Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - PS3
Fez - PC *new*

TOTAL: 81

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

So I was initially a bit put off by the idea of collecting more cubes after the first 16 to get to the credits, but it turns out that I shouldn't have been. The collecting wasn't too bad, the puzzles and levels I accessed to get the last 16 were a lot easier than those I used to get the first 16, and overall I enjoyed all the time I spent with this game. I think the game is one of the best puzzle platformers I've ever played and it is well worth the high praise that comes its way.

I'd like to get to a multiple of five before the year is out, which means either 85 or 90 is still in my sights. Time will tell...
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:I guess due to the nature of sports games, and similar to most MMOs, I feel like they cant really be completed. I always just mark em as N/A on my list.

see, this is going to get into the whole "beaten" vs. "completed" thing though.

So to me, playing a full season of Madden and winning the Super Bowl is beating the game. And playing the 50 season Dynasty Mode thing is "completing" it. Similar to how y'know, beating the final boss in Tomb Raider was beating the game, but going for 100% is completing it.

Or another way of saying it is I look at a full season and winning the Super Bowl to be the "single player campaign."

Sorry I meant I dont think you can really beat or complete them.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Sorry I meant I dont think you can really beat or complete them.

I know that's what you meant. I was just explaining my personal definition. In the example of Madden, I spent the better part of a week playing through my season and ultimately winning the Super Bowl. I think in real life a football player that won the Super Bowl would say "hey, our team beat this season." Or maybe he wouldn't use the word "beat." But you know what I mean. You can't really do any better than that. So for my definition, I beat that game. I was victorious. I won every single game until a screen popped up and said "CONGRATULATIONS!" So I beat it.

EDIT: Or to further elaborate... the game Madden NFL 08 is a game about the 08 season of football. If you win that season successfully, I'm not sure there could be a clearer goal to "beat the game."
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote:

So don't include them on your own list. What's the point of slogging on anyone else for what they choose to include?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

So don't include them on your own list. What's the point of slogging on anyone else for what they choose to include?

I already said I dont include them on my list. Nor did I 'slog' which makes no sense in this context. I simply asked how one beats a sports game. Surely discussing such things isnt beyond you of all people right?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I already said I dont include them on my list. Nor did I 'slog' which makes no sense in this context. I simply asked how one beats a sports game. Surely discussing such things isnt beyond you of all people right?

slog as in "to strike with heavy blows" - ok, so maybe a bit of hyperbole. "beat him up for it" is no different, though...

By "you people" I assume you are making fun of short folk?

I move we call next year's list "Games Slogged 2014"