Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Limbo Special Edition DRM Free - Arcade Stick - Secret Level

by CRTGAMER Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:50 am

Arcade Stick Option and Secret Level - viewtopic.php?p=941315#p941315

Joy2Key WiiU Pokken Pro Pad PC - viewtopic.php?p=1066560#p1066560

Limbo Special Edition - DRM Free No Steam Front End Needed

I have been debating on getting the 360 compilation disc or the combo PC and Mac Special Edition version which is advertised as DRM Free. The computer extras are nice, but I really do not like it being tied to a Steam Front end requirement which alludes to not being totally DRM free. Turns out the Special Edition has two versions of the game. A fast loading stand alone and a separate Steam Key version.

Update Thanks to Cronozilla

Cronozilla wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:1. Does the Disc version require a Steam Front End?
No. It installs and runs separately (loads up in about 2 seconds too)
CRTGAMER wrote:2. Is the disc required to remain in the disc reader while playing the game?
No. It appears the game has no copy protection of any kind. There isn't a CD key, DRM, or disc checks.
CRTGAMER wrote:3. Is the sound track a separate CD?
No. But, the install disc is the soundtrack. It's a little funky though. It's a music CD that is recognized as a music CD in audiograbber, DVD, and BluRay players ... but not CD players (Or at least the only one I had access to, which is in a vehicle).

If it's not compatible with CD players you own, or you don't want to lug it around in fear of damaging it, ripping it raw and burning it to a CD-R would be extremely simple, easy, and fast. The soundtrack only has 6 tracks. I'm pretty confident that there's a raw copy of the soundtrack on here because the MUSIC directory with the MP3s is only about 30MB total, where as each individual track in audiograbber claims they're 30-40MB a piece.

THANK YOU! Very kind to take the time to test the game and post all the info. Okay I am in, placed an order thru EBay.

The price on Ebay USA is only $14.62 new and is shipped from the UK for a total of only $15.39! The game company PlayDead is from Denmark, maybe the reason for the lower price from this overseas seller? :shock:

Where is Fast Billy! - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limbo-Special-E ... 1c49794429

I could not find any review sites other then your post concerning the direct game load without needing the Steam front end. The bypass of the Steam Front End guarantees DRM free and that quick two second load, again thanks! :D

Marty Mulrooney wrote:http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2012/07/20/game-review-limbo-special-edition-pc/]

So – what does the Special Edition offer that makes it worth buying? First of all, the PC version of Limbo is the only version that runs at 60fps. Everything seems to run that little bit smoother – it does make a difference. Also, the PC version is the only version that allows you to play in 3D. Granted, it’s anaglyph 3D using old-school red and blue glasses, but it works surprisingly well. Perhaps it’s because the game is black-and-white and highly stylised, but playing in 3D – even out-dated 3D – looks great and fits with the old-film vibe of the visuals.

So, the final question – should you buy Limbo: Special Edition? The answer is the same for both old fans and newcomers alike. If you enjoy owning physical copies of your games – especially collector’s editions – then you shouldn’t miss out on this fantastic release from Merge Games in collaboration with Playdead. It’s utterly gorgeous, from the classy cardboard slipcase to the glossy art cards contained within. Digital releases may be considered the future, but when a retail special edition this good comes along, it makes you want to hold onto the past for just a little bit longer.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 17 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Limbo Special Edition - Still need Steam Front End?

by Tanooki Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Id like to know this too because it really would be lying to say it's DRM free yet have it on Steam. Steam is a form of DRM and is required to even fire the game up. That's why after having it just on Steam I've never tried picking up Terraria because it was always saddled with DRM, now it's on GoGames.com but I'm going to wait for a crazy deal day on that one to get a stand alone installer as that game is wicked fun.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:04 pm

I have this, but I never actually put the discs in >_>
I believe the copy on the discs is DRM free (which would mean steam free), but it also comes with a Steam key.

If I get around to digging through some boxes, I'll clarify later. But I do believe it supports a non-steam version.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Cronozilla wrote:I have this, but I never actually put the discs in >_>
I believe the copy on the discs is DRM free (which would mean steam free), but it also comes with a Steam key.

If I get around to digging through some boxes, I'll clarify later. But I do believe it supports a non-steam version.

I think you might be right since there is a Steam Code as an extra to gift to your friend or yourself. Please install that disc and post on a couple of things, thanks in advance.

1. Does the Disc version require a Steam Front End?

2. Is the disc required to remain in the disc reader while playing the game?

3. Is the sound track a separate CD?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Well ... that's a list if I ever saw one.
I'll rummage through the PC game box and check it out.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:1. Does the Disc version require a Steam Front End?

No. It installs and runs separately (loads up in about 2 seconds too)

CRTGAMER wrote:2. Is the disc required to remain in the disc reader while playing the game?

No. It appears the game has no copy protection of any kind. There isn't a CD key, DRM, or disc checks.

CRTGAMER wrote:3. Is the sound track a separate CD?

No. But, the install disc is the soundtrack. It's a little funky though. It's a music CD that is recognized as a music CD in audiograbber, DVD, and BluRay players ... but not CD players (Or at least the only one I had access to, which is in a vehicle).

It would appear that there's two copies of the soundtrack on the disc, one that's suppose to be directly playable, and another that is part of the file system and is lossy MP3s.

It would appear that the soundtrack can be ripped lossless instead of using the included lossy files.

If it's not compatible with CD players you own, or you don't want to lug it around in fear of damaging it, ripping it raw and burning it to a CD-R would be extremely simple, easy, and fast.

The soundtrack only has 6 tracks. I'm pretty confident that there's a raw copy of the soundtrack on here because the MUSIC directory with the MP3s is only about 30MB total, where as each individual track in audiograbber claims they're 30-40MB a piece. In addition it claims the DATA track is under 300MB, but in Windows Explorer it says the disc size is around 430MB total.

Does that answer everyone's questions?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 am

What does a PS1 say about the disc?

Can you see the edge of the data area if you look at it in the sunlight?

If you try to load the individual MP3s as raw picture data in Photoshop or your available equivalent, does it make anything interesting?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:08 am

What happens if you play it backwards?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:16 am

Having fun, guys? I was trying to be informative based on the questions asked, but I guess that's grounds for condescending jabs.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 am

Just ribbing, bruh, no foul.

Also I was legit hoping playing it backwards would unlock some door to another dimension.
Return to Personal Computers