Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
marurun

Re: Limbo Special Edition - Still need Steam Front End?

by marurun Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:50 am

Oh, come on... What would you even DO with another dimension, huh? Probably just stash it in a closet somewhere and forget about it.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:43 am

Cronozilla wrote:Having fun, guys? I was trying to be informative based on the questions asked, but I guess that's grounds for condescending jabs.

We're just having fun. You provided good information. Did I need blue with the increasingly silly questions?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:02 am

Honestly, It's always a good idea.

Sorry I misunderstood.
Bit of a long history with people using condescension and humiliation whenever I exhibit thoroughness with almost anything. It can strike some raw nerves, to be honest.
marurun

Re: Limbo Special Edition - DRM Free No Steam Front End Need

by marurun Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I apologize on their behalf. They are a bunch of poo-poo heads.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Cronozilla wrote:It installs and runs separately (loads up in about 2 seconds too) It appears the game has no copy protection of any kind. There isn't a CD key, DRM, or disc checks.

THANK YOU! I placed an order and updated the OP. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm

marurun wrote:Oh, come on... What would you even DO with another dimension, huh?

naughty things
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Cronozilla wrote:Honestly, It's always a good idea.

Sorry I misunderstood.
Bit of a long history with people using condescension and humiliation whenever I exhibit thoroughness with almost anything. It can strike some raw nerves, to be honest.

Protip for me at least. I engage in self depreciating and poking fun at others humor, but I always mean it in jest and expect to get it back in jest as well. So barring my opposite of the entire world opinion of a certain video game, if I say something that's totally ridiculous I'm very likely joking.

TSTR seems to have the same modus operandi.

It was nice of you to take the time to check. :)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:27 pm

It's cool. Sometimes, it's difficult to discern what intentions always are. But, Protip received.

If you had another dimension you could send messages back to your daughter in Morse code using the second hand of a watch.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:54 am

Limbo -- Good Game Version.

Can we dream?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Limbo Special Edition DRM Free - Arcade Stick - Secret Level

by CRTGAMER Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 am

Arcade Stick / Secret Level
The Special Edition Limbo game package came in, actually a while back and confirmed Steam is not needed. The game is a full install; disc not needed during game play and no DLC! :D

Even though the game teases of game controller option, I could not get this to work. Diving into the Limbo installed directory revealed a settings.txt file that might lead to implementing a game controller. I set the screen temporarily to Window mode to show a few interesting things, the screenshot captured below. Customize the keyboard controls the way you want by editing the txt file. :idea:

This game really works well with an Arcade stick. I tried out the PS1 Interact Arcade which has clicking micro switches inside. Using a PSX to USB controller adapter and the JoyToKey program, I set the Jump button to default Joystick Up and a primary Fire Button as well. This works perfect for climbing and also precise jumps by tapping the button.

So I would not have to go to the regular Keyboard to replay different levels, I included the ESC and RETURN keys as the outer grey Fire Buttons and the Start/Select Buttons of the Arcade Stick. Ah, this game is sweet and made so much better with the right control. :mrgreen:

:arrow: This same JoyToKey/Arcade Stick routine can be easily tailored for many of the "Flash" Indy games that have the gameplay similarities of Retro games.

Right Click for a larger view
Limbo Windowed.JPG
Limbo Windowed.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

Aha, so this is how to get the 3d mode!
Limbo settings.txt wrote:# To enable 3D anaglyph press "Shift + 3 + D" in-game. Take a guess on how to change it back to normal 2D #

A couple of Guides to get thru the Levels. Both Links below are nice single page Guides which include screenshots. Reccommend saving the HTML files to your hard drive in case the sites take them away. The PS3 and PC has an additional Secret Level to explore found after crushing all the "Easter Eggs". :shock:

Limbo Game Guide - http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... ng-trophy/

Secret Level Guide - http://www.crossplatformgamers.com/2011 ... ret-level/

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Personal Computers