Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Menegrothx Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am

I just watched Errant Signal's new episode (Bioshock infinite), and it explains much better and more eloquently my (and Spoony's) complaints of this game. I recommend checking it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2cSKBFBDQ

The top rated comment pretty much sums up my thoughts of this game
I agree with the majority of points in this video. Why the amazingly positive reception, then? Frankly, I think it's because the rest of the AAA industry is so incredibly stale that even this ambitious-but-flawed game looks like a masterpiece in comparison. I also think that gamers were willing to forgive a lot of the game's flaws because it's so impressive on the artistic front.

Artistically great, ambitious and well written plot but it falls short on it's goals and the gameplay is very average. Better than majority of modern FPS games and quite likely one of the best games of the year, but at the moment this game is overrated/praised.
dsheinem wrote:
but it's problem is that the gameplay is disconnected from the actual storyline, dumbed down and very mediocre, and thus it doesn't deserve all the hype it gets. You can't throw bits and pieces of a thoughtful, deep storyline and then force the player to brutally slaughter hundreds of NPCs for no apparent reason except "well it's a video game and we need shooting and explosions between the scenes where we progress the story because that's what video games do" and call it a masterpiece.


So wait, the game is guilty of being a genre title? Of course you shoot people, it is an FPS. They are trying to shoot you.

The difference is that you were killing monsters in System Shock and Bioshock. The reasons for why you, "the good guy", are killing other humans and why they want to murder you aren't very solid in this game. The first three and half minutes of Campster's review explain why that simply doesn't work in a game that trys to be art/have a message.
dsheinem wrote:I am not sure to do with this. It seems like you are stretching for reasons to dislike Infinite. The game is less linear than the vast majority of FPS titles and more or less on par with Bioshock 1 and 2 in that regard.

It's been quite a while since I played the other two Bioshocks so I might view those games through rose tinted glasses. The game felt more linear to me on my playthrough, but I'd need to replay those two games so I can confirm whether this notion is true or not. It's certain that it's far from the level unlinearity of original SS though, but so were BS1 and 2.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Stark
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9578
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm
Location: Low Overhead Marysville, WA

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Stark Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:23 pm

You guys should move this to a Bioshock Infinite thread or somethin'. :roll:

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
2/28 Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (PC)
3/12 The King of the Wood (PC)
3/14 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
3/20 Persona 4: The Golden (Vita)
3/27 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/6 Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
4/14 Good Morning, Commander (PC)

Games Beaten = 10

4/12 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 1 - The Hangman (PC)
This is point and click adventure game from Phoenix Online Studios that I helped to kickstart last year. Previously the team labored for years without recompense on The Silver Lining, which is an unauthorized sequel for The King's Quest series. Activition (I think it was) eventually let them release it for free. What I played of that wasn't completely awful and them working with Jane Jensen of Gabriel Knight fame, piqued my interest enough to Kickstart this game.

The first episode released late last year and I just now got time to sit down and play this out. The gameplay is definitely standard point-and-click adventure game fare, with combining items to figure out puzzles, dialogue trees, etc. The graphics are fairly standard, but fine for this type of thing, but the hand-drawn cinema scenes are downright atrocious. The voice acting is pretty mediocre, with the exception of this mysterious old lady, Rose, who is beyond terrible. Part of it is how stereotypical her character is and then add the voice actor totally hamming up a voodoo-styled accent. Ugh. The story isn't super interesting either, pretty standard mystery stuff.

Lastly, there are lot of glitches and just technical polish missing from this game. One of the late puzzles had a game stopping bug in it for me, where I eventually had to look at a walkthrough, only to find out that I had the right answer and then I had to load an earlier save...beyond frustrating. This game is like a poorly written paperback novel that I'm slightly intrigued in the outcome and paid good money for it, so I'm sticking it out. Otherwise, I don't recommend you play.

4/17 Don't Sh*t Your Pants (PC)
Pretty much delivers on the promise of a game with that title. Adventure game, I guess? :lol: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rete/do ... your-pants
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by dsheinem Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Menegrothx wrote:The reasons for why you, "the good guy", are killing other humans and why they want to murder you aren't very solid in this game. The first three and half minutes of Campster's review explain why that simply doesn't work in a game that trys to be art/have a message.


I'll try to look at the video later and give my take, but in general I don't understand either A) how someone can play the game and not understand the motivation/reasons for violence in the game or B) think that violence has no place in a game that's especially artistic or deals with more complex subject matter than most games. I just can't wrap my head around this type of thinking.

And, to be honest, I would add that the only thing that seems more widespread than the game getting good reviews by press is the immediate backlash against those good reviews by gamers who think they know better and have a duty to announce it. I feel like people think that their position is worth having primarily because it is one that is arbitrary to the "dominant" reception of the game, as if taking a contrary position in and of itself somehow proves their "intellectual superiority" or "appreciation of gaming/the genre" over the "ignorant masses" who of course consume whatever the gaming press says they should like. Unfortunately, I continue to find the counter arguments I've encountered to be nitpicky at best or wholly hollow and specious at worst...

Anyway, time for an update!

Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP
Jetpack Joyride - Vita
Devil May Cry (2013) - 360
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Fighting Masters - Genesis
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
Cruis'n - Wii
Foosball 2012 - Vita
Electronic Table Soccer! - Odyssey2
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Asura's Wrath - PS3
Showdown in 2100 A.D. - Odyssey2
CoD of Duty - PC
Little Big Planet Karting - PS3
Gattling Gears - PS3
Monster Maulers - Arcade (MAME)
Angry Birds Rio - iOS
The Last Story - Wii
Retro/Grade - PS3
Sonic Fighters - 360
Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
God of War: Ascension - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Half-Life: Source - PC *new*
Guacamelee - Vita *new*

Total: 30


Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

Half-Life: Source I wrote about quite a bit in the Together Retro thread, so you can read my thoughts there. It's ace, of course.

Also ace? Guacamelee. This is probably one of my favorite metroidvania style games, a genre which, in general, I tend not to be a big fan of. The last two boss fights are quite tough - in a way that seems to scale too quickly, in my view. Well worth the cheap download, though, and an early contender for download-only title of the year.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by dsheinem Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Stark wrote:
4/17 Don't Sh*t Your Pants (PC)
Pretty much delivers on the promise of a game with that title. Adventure game, I guess? :lol: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rete/do ... your-pants


I just beat it too, but I can't bring myself to put it in the official count :lol:
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Gamerforlife Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:The reasons for why you, "the good guy", are killing other humans and why they want to murder you aren't very solid in this game. The first three and half minutes of Campster's review explain why that simply doesn't work in a game that trys to be art/have a message.


I'll try to look at the video later and give my take, but in general I don't understand either A) how someone can play the game and not understand the motivation/reasons for violence in the game or B) think that violence has no place in a game that's especially artistic or deals with more complex subject matter than most games. I just can't wrap my head around this type of thinking.

And, to be honest, I would add that the only thing that seems more widespread than the game getting good reviews by press is the immediate backlash against those good reviews by gamers who think they know better and have a duty to announce it. I feel like people think that their position is worth having primarily because it is one that is arbitrary to the "dominant" reception of the game, as if taking a contrary position in and of itself somehow proves their "intellectual superiority" or "appreciation of gaming/the genre" over the "ignorant masses" who of course consume whatever the gaming press says they should like. Unfortunately, I continue to find the counter arguments I've encountered to be nitpicky at best or wholly hollow and specious at worst...

Anyway, time for an update!

Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP
Jetpack Joyride - Vita
Devil May Cry (2013) - 360
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Fighting Masters - Genesis
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
Cruis'n - Wii
Foosball 2012 - Vita
Electronic Table Soccer! - Odyssey2
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Asura's Wrath - PS3
Showdown in 2100 A.D. - Odyssey2
CoD of Duty - PC
Little Big Planet Karting - PS3
Gattling Gears - PS3
Monster Maulers - Arcade (MAME)
Angry Birds Rio - iOS
The Last Story - Wii
Retro/Grade - PS3
Sonic Fighters - 360
Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
God of War: Ascension - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Half-Life: Source - PC *new*
Guacamelee - Vita *new*

Total: 30


Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

Half-Life: Source I wrote about quite a bit in the Together Retro thread, so you can read my thoughts there. It's ace, of course.

Also ace? Guacamelee. This is probably one of my favorite metroidvania style games, a genre which, in general, I tend not to be a big fan of. The last two boss fights are quite tough - in a way that seems to scale too quickly, in my view. Well worth the cheap download, though, and an early contender for download-only title of the year.


Just out of curiosity, how would you say Guacamelee compares to Dust: An Elysian Tail? Do you like one more than the other? I was so impressed by both games, and they share similar gameplay styles. When I played Guacamelee I kind of felt like I was playing 2013's Dust: An Elysian Tail, which made me quite happy.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by dsheinem Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 am

Gamerforlife wrote:Just out of curiosity, how would you say Guacamelee compares to Dust: An Elysian Tail? Do you like one more than the other? I was so impressed by both games, and they share similar gameplay styles. When I played Guacamelee I kind of felt like I was playing 2013's Dust: An Elysian Tail, which made me quite happy.


I really like both. I haven't finished Dust, though, and something about playing that game on my big TV - while gorgeous - makes me not as compelled to sink time into it as quickly as I did with this one. I preferred the vibe/setting of Guacamelee, prefer the PS style controls over those of the 360, and I took advantage of its portability...but in the end I'd guess Dust is a better game in most regards.
User avatar
MrHealthy
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:46 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by MrHealthy Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 am

hashiriya1 wrote:Latest completed game for 2013 is Spec Ops: The Line.

It was a 'free' PS Plus game, so I gave it a shot not expecting much. I assumed it was just another generic 3rd person military shooter, which I don't really mind. The story and voice acting were top notch. The game starts off as a cookie-cutter military shooter, but it takes a sharp turn and becomes very dark very quickly as it explores the depths of sanity and human nature. I was impressed. I finished it in 2 sittings because I couldn't wait to see how everything unfolded. It was totally inspired by Apocalypse Now, and that isn't bad thing.


Now back to Persona 4 Golden.


Its actually inspired by the novella Heart of Darkness. The main character in Spec Ops, John Konrad, is even a reference to the author Joseph Conrad. You were right in thinking Apocalypse now though, it is the most famous adaptation of Heart of Darkness.
Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by REPO Man Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Cursed Treasures 2, but I only beat all 15 levels. I have not yet beat a few levels in the Night Mode (or whatever it's called), still need to upgrade all of my abilities, still need to get Brilliant ratings on a whole lot of levels (and their nighttime counterparts) and since I'm an Armor Games member, also get all of the achievements they have.
User avatar
MrHealthy
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:46 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by MrHealthy Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am

Its after midnight so I'm not gonna post my comments now. I am just adding 3 more games to my list before I forget, again.

Those games are:
The Walking Dead (PSN)
Knytt Underground (PSN)
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)


The Full List:
* indicates a replay
January:
1. Hotline Miami (Steam)
2. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (Origin)
3. Gravity Bone* (Steam)
4. Thirty Flights of Loving (Steam)
5. Deponia (Steam)
6. Blokus (PSN)
7. N.O.V.A. (PS Mini)

February
8. F.E.A.R. (Steam)
9. Deadlight (Steam)
10. Sugarcube: Bittersweet Factory (Steam)
11. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
12. Dead Space 3 (PS3)
13. Earthworm Jim HD (PSN)
14. Tank Battles (PSN)
15. Warp (PSN)
16. Critter Crunch (PSN)

March
17. Donkey Kong (Gameboy)
18. LittleBigPlanet Karting (PSN)
19. Tales From Space: Mutant Blob Attack (PSVita)
20. Sound Shapes: Car Mini Album DLC(PSN)
21. Dead Space 3 Awakened DLC (PS3)
22. Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game* (PSN)
23. The Walking Dead* (PSN)

April
24. Knytt Underground (PSN)
25. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)


Total Beaten: 25 out of 120.

Up Next?
Replaying Pokemon White (this time in english), started Maestro! Jump in Music and Guacamelee as well.
Image
User avatar
Blu
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Blu Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 am

1. Assassin's Creed 3 (Xbox 360) - 1/6/2013
2. Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 (Gamecube) - 1/11/2013
3. Metal Gear Solid 2 (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Xbox 360) - 1/20/2013
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Xbox 360) - 1/22/2013
5. Sega Bass Fishing (Xbox 360) - 1/22/2013
6. Sonic & All-Stars Racing TRANSFORMED (Xbox 360)- 1/26/2013
7. Yakuza (PS2) - 2/2/2013
8. Yakuza 2 (PS2) - 2/22/2013
9. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) - 2/23/2013
10. Panzer Dragoon (Xbox Port) - 2/23/2013
11. 1941: Counter Attack (Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed; PSP) 3/1/2013
12. Forgotten Worlds (Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed; PSP) 3/1/2013
13. Binary Domain (Xbox 360) - 3/17/2013
14. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 3/21/2013
15. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) 3/21/2013
16. Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram - 3/22/2013
17. Ico (PS2) - 4/13/2013
18. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 4/18/2013

This game was quite amazing. Along the same lines of Ico's intuitive puzzle solving. Each new Colossus you faced had something unique that required you to explore and analyze your surroundings and your foe. It was designed in a way that you really felt accomplished when you defeated each Colossus. I'll be damned if the last one didn't have me slightly frustrated. This game was beautiful and I think really stretched the PS2's limits. This was a good thing visually, but made the frame rate suffer. Great story, great action, I'd recommend it if you're looking for a unique experience.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests