Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Sarge wrote:16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)

Dang it. Dang it dang it DANG IT. I had a one-life run. And somehow, some way, I miss the last jump leading to the heart. I can't even believe it.

You legit beat Battletoads. You've got nothing left to prove in classic NES land
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 pm

I think I might claim it. I've put together several runs back to back now, with little quirks here and there. But a perfect run up to the end, then decided to use a save-state, which automatically triggers "sloppy" mode for me. If I'd been playing on the real system, I'd have gone purely defensive to make sure I got the win. (My run I was cursing about actually was on the real system, though.)

I did go through the last two stages multiple times, though, without deaths. I'm pretty much done for the night, but I know now that I could do it for sure. Assuming, you know, I don't just claim it. :)

Yeah, Battletoads was tough stuff. I've also beaten Holy Diver, which some consider even harder. And it's definitely hard. I recommend everyone at least giving it a shot. It's actually not that poorly balanced to start with, but after Stage 3, the gloves come off.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)

7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)

I completed R.B.I. on the NES this evening!

I have been craving some NES Baseball action for Months, so I was very happy to finally find a good one at a local store. R.B.I. was in my house while growing up, but I was happy to finally play through the game and beat every team.

R.B.I. Baseball is one of the first Baseball games released on the system. However, it improves on everything the black box Baseball game did along with adding real players and teams from the 1986 season. The game plays great and really shows how to make a fantastic baseball game on the NES.

Unfortunately, it does not have any of the added features that come with the later baseball games. There is no season mode or specialties that are unique to the game. It is very vanilla in a way, but it is the foundation for the glut of baseball games on the NES.

It is still enjoyable to play after all these years even though others eventually passed it by.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm

You know, I never did comment on you beating Beyond the Beyond. That's a game I want to love, and I think I'd like it more if it didn't have that stupid timed button press thing that delays everyone's turns, making battles longer than they need be. It really does feel like Dragon Quest by way of Camelot, and that could have been amazing.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:55 am

Sarge wrote: That's a game I want to love, and I think I'd like it more if it didn't have that stupid timed button press thing that delays everyone's turns, making battles longer than they need be. It really does feel like Dragon Quest by way of Camelot, and that could have been amazing.

You know, I beat the game without ever using that function.

It is never explained in the game. The game never tells you about it and even the instruction booklet doesn't talk about it. So, I never did it. There is this item that halves all magic damage and that makes boss fights much easier. With that and some time grinding, the game gets much easier.

It is VERY much like Dragon Quest as done by Camelot. Camelot also did the Shining Force series back in the day and it has elements in it as well. As I mentioned to Bone, they later did the Golden Sun franchise and that is also there as well. It's also the first JRPG released on the PS1, so it is very Super Nintendo in its look.

It's not bad and worth a shot if you love JRPGs.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

There it is. There it IS. There it freakin' is. No-death run of Contra. First run was almost perfect, managed to get taken out at the end by one of the stupid aliens at the last boss. Second run saw the victory.

That's one thing off my bucket list for sure.

And no, I'm not gonna do it for Super C. At least not yet...
Raz
16-bit

by Raz Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)
4. World Heroes (SNES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again (SNES)
6. Strider (PS4)
7. Super Bust-A-Move (PS2)
8. Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (DS)

I've been slacking off on trying to beat games lately so I finished this one off since all I needed to do was beat the 2000 m stage. Mr. Driller is an action puzzle game series where you dig down through the underground filled with colorful blocks as far as you can go before you get crushed by falling blocks or run out of air. It's kinda similar to Dig Dug (the main character is actually the son of the main character from Dig Dug, and is also a playable character). This is actually the first Mr. Driller game I've played (not counting the few times I played the arcade version). I played the North American release, which from what I understand is an inferior version because it is missing another playable character and another game mode present in the other regions.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Sarge wrote:No-death run of Contra.

Awesome man, you must have been in full theta mode.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:05 pm

The scary part is that I wanted to record it, so I booted it up again and did another no-death run. But Nestopia has a bug in 1.40 that screwed up the recording. :(
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 am

Markies wrote:1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)

7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)

I completed R.B.I. on the NES this evening!

I have been craving some NES Baseball action for Months, so I was very happy to finally find a good one at a local store. R.B.I. was in my house while growing up, but I was happy to finally play through the game and beat every team.

R.B.I. Baseball is one of the first Baseball games released on the system. However, it improves on everything the black box Baseball game did along with adding real players and teams from the 1986 season. The game plays great and really shows how to make a fantastic baseball game on the NES.

Unfortunately, it does not have any of the added features that come with the later baseball games. There is no season mode or specialties that are unique to the game. It is very vanilla in a way, but it is the foundation for the glut of baseball games on the NES.

It is still enjoyable to play after all these years even though others eventually passed it by.

Nice. That game is on my "to beat" list, and I plan on getting to it this summer. What criteria did you use for beating it?
Return to General Gaming