Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Sload Soap »

Grand Theft Auto 5

Finished up the main story line missions and saw the credits last night. Definitely going to be my game of the year.

So the positives are that Rockstar has listened to some of the criticism they received from GTA4 and have improved in those areas.
The cars and bikes now handle a lot better and react to crashes in a more realistic manner. Missions are much more varied and there are frequent checkpoints. You no longer get pestered by people to play darts or go bowling. You choose if and when you want to do any side activities. The combat and cover mechanics have also had an upgrade and are more in line with Red Dead than GTA4, but they still aren't perfect. The move to San Andreas as a setting also gives the game more varied environments than one big concrete jungle.
The best new element though are the heists. Having to case out joints and then select a entry way and crew, with their own skills and cut percentages, is both fun and brings the three protagonists together for the games best set-pieces. They also add replayability as you can do each major heist either clean or messy. In fact you can replay any mission you like from the pause menu as Ballad of Gay Tony's mission breakdown returns. Being able to switch between characters is not as gimmicky as it first seems, and provides more context for missions; Micheal loves old movies, so he gets tasked by an aging hollywood producer, Franklin races modified sports cars and Trevor smuggles weapons into Mexico, that sort of thing.

As far as negatives go, a few missions drag, though these are mostly side missions. One of Micheal's side quests had me trawling the ocean for what was close to an hour, real time. It also has those parts from GTA4 wherein the characters converse and the player is forced to listen as you drive to the next destination. Exposition trips I calls 'em.
And for whatever reason Rockstar decided to keep the planes and helicopters as floppy to control as they've been since Vice City. Expect to crash into the sea more than once.
The worst thing though is the Baller's control grove street. CJ shouldn't have bothered. :)

Some reviewers have been critical of the loose morals that one player character (Trevor) has. For me there were a few moments in the game where things got a bit too heavy (as I mentioned in the GTAV thread), but your mileage may vary. Trevor looks like Hunter S. Thompson and acts like someone from a Burroughs novel but he isn't wholly evil or bad. He just has a bizarre outlook on life. He also gets some of the better side missions as well, so gameplay wise he has a slight edge.
But on the whole this is very much GTA with all the OTT characters present and accounted for, with all the usual swipes at pop culture, politics and capitalism you'd expect.

/tldr Probable game of the year for me, best GTA since Vice City and GTA Online isn't even up yet.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

January-June (the first 50)
Commander Keen Episode 1: Marooned on Mars - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Live Freemium or Die - PC
Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - PC
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - - PS3
Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - PC
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - PC
Street Fighter IV - iOS
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - Vita
The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim - 360/PC
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - GBC
Killzone: Mercenary - Vita *new*

TOTAL: 62

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

This is the first game I've beaten and, really, the only one I've spent time with since early August. That may be a personal record of game beating inactivity :lol:

Anyway, this game is excellent. It's not just a fun Vita shooter, it's a fun shooter period. The campaign has lots of nice environs, the guns feel good, the various systems (e.g. for purchasing weapons) feel well implemented, and overall it is a shooty and stabby good time. I beat it on the hardest difficulty, which presented a usually fair (if sometimes uneven) challenge.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

I recently finished 2 WWE Wrestling games for the XBox 360.

WWE '13 for XBox 360

FANTASTIC wrestling game. I could be a little biased since The Attitude Era is my favorite WWF/E era. But that was, BY FAR, the highlight of this game.

The storyline follows the birth of the WWF Attitude Era. Starting with the birth and formation of D-X, followed by the Austin Era, then the rise of The Rock, and then the Brothers of Destruction (Undertaker and Kane), followed by the many faces of Mick Foley, and finally the lead up to and the actual WrestleMania XV. After you beat all that, you then unlock a sort of "middle-card" storyline of the time right after WM XV. There is also a sort of "be the booker" mode called My WWE Universe. It looks neat, but also VERY detailed and in-depth; so it'll be something I'll have to come back to because I've had my wrestling game fill for the moment.

What's great, is the game gives great detail and background on this history and these matches, including video. So if you want to relive The Attitude Era, this is a fantastic way to do so. And, actually, it's better than the recent "Attitude Era" DVD WWE recently put out (which is a shame).

The controls are bit button-mashy, which I've seen complaints about online, but it's not that bad. You get used to it, real fast. I mean, it's not like it's WWE: Legends of WrestleMania; which brings me too...

WWE: Legends of WrestleMania for XBox 360

The game recreates matches and storylines from WrestleMania I thought XV. There are 3 ways you can play them: Relive (recreate), Rewrite (change history), Redefine (whatever you want, as long as you win the match). I played through all 3. There is also a "climb the ranks" sort of deal, like the old PS1/N64 wrestling games, called "Legend Killer", but you have to use a created wrestler, not an actual roster wrestler. I played through it, I didn't play through all 60+ opponent, but just short of that I earned all the medals/trophies.

What I loved about the game was the fan-service. The history they put in the game including video shorts that would show actual video of the build-up to matches, and of the actual match-highlights before you'd play the match. Not quite as well done as the WWE '13 highlights, but still good. The roster of classic WWF wrestlers was great, too, including alternate costumes. And lots of different match types and areans to battle in.

What I hated was the controls. A button-mashing mess. People complain about WWE '13 being too button-mashy, it's got nothing on Legends of WrestleMania. I was practically slapping the action-buttons on my XBox 360 controller half the time. It really makes your hand tired after long-play sessions.
Last edited by BurningDoom on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Sload Soap wrote:Grand Theft Auto 5

Finished up the main story line missions and saw the credits last night. Definitely going to be my game of the year.

So the positives are that Rockstar has listened to some of the criticism they received from GTA4 and have improved in those areas.
The cars and bikes now handle a lot better and react to crashes in a more realistic manner. Missions are much more varied and there are frequent checkpoints. You no longer get pestered by people to play darts or go bowling. You choose if and when you want to do any side activities. The combat and cover mechanics have also had an upgrade and are more in line with Red Dead than GTA4, but they still aren't perfect. The move to San Andreas as a setting also gives the game more varied environments than one big concrete jungle.
The best new element though are the heists. Having to case out joints and then select a entry way and crew, with their own skills and cut percentages, is both fun and brings the three protagonists together for the games best set-pieces. They also add replayability as you can do each major heist either clean or messy. In fact you can replay any mission you like from the pause menu as Ballad of Gay Tony's mission breakdown returns. Being able to switch between characters is not as gimmicky as it first seems, and provides more context for missions; Micheal loves old movies, so he gets tasked by an aging hollywood producer, Franklin races modified sports cars and Trevor smuggles weapons into Mexico, that sort of thing.

As far as negatives go, a few missions drag, though these are mostly side missions. One of Micheal's side quests had me trawling the ocean for what was close to an hour, real time. It also has those parts from GTA4 wherein the characters converse and the player is forced to listen as you drive to the next destination. Exposition trips I calls 'em.
And for whatever reason Rockstar decided to keep the planes and helicopters as floppy to control as they've been since Vice City. Expect to crash into the sea more than once.
The worst thing though is the Baller's control grove street. CJ shouldn't have bothered. :)

Some reviewers have been critical of the loose morals that one player character (Trevor) has. For me there were a few moments in the game where things got a bit too heavy (as I mentioned in the GTAV thread), but your mileage may vary. Trevor looks like Hunter S. Thompson and acts like someone from a Burroughs novel but he isn't wholly evil or bad. He just has a bizarre outlook on life. He also gets some of the better side missions as well, so gameplay wise he has a slight edge.
But on the whole this is very much GTA with all the OTT characters present and accounted for, with all the usual swipes at pop culture, politics and capitalism you'd expect.

/tldr Probable game of the year for me, best GTA since Vice City and GTA Online isn't even up yet.

Beat it already? :shock: How long did it take.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Beat it already? :shock: How long did it take.

To see the credits just over 25 hours. I didn't deviate too much from main missions as previous GTA's have taught me you get the big payday at the end and then I can get to flying jets into mountain lions.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1. Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead - PC (January 2)
2. America's Army - Arcade (January 12) - 1cc!
3. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Gamecube (January 26)
4. Dragon Spirit - NES (February 7) - 1cc!
5. Final Fantasy - (by way of DoS) - GBA (March 15)
6. Wing Commander - PC (March 21)
7. Medal of Honor European Assault - Gamecube (March 30)
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - Gamecube (April 6)
9. Half-Life - PC (April 25)
10. Fantastic Dizzy - Genesis (May 16)
11. Fatal Fury Special - NeoGeo (in MAME) (June 10)
12. Gun - Gamecube (June 15)
13. Road Rash Jailbreak - GBA (July 3)
14. Road Rash - Genesis (July 10)
15. Road Rash 2 - Genesis (July 18)
16. Road Rash 3 - Genesis (July 29)
17. TMNT Turtles In Time - Arcade (August 10)
18. TMNT The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis (August 22)
19. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Gamecube (August 24)
20. Ninja Warriors Again - SFC (August 26)
21. 8 Eyes - NES (September 13)
22. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonstrike - NES (September 19)
23. *NEW* Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown - Gamecube (September 21)

Took a break from the Exed vs. NES series to finally finish Lockdown. You know I like my FPS along with shmups, and RSL was great. It flowed a lot better than Rainbow Six 3 did, at the cost of less tactical options you could use with your team. Each mission felt like something that you'd expect in an FPS, with some featuring sniper sections that gave you a break from team-leading and it also featured team members with specialties such as bomb disarming or computer terminal hacking. Using points from hidden items in each stage to unlock new weapons was a nice change and also encouraged exploration. It also had a very long single player campaign so it was great.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Wispmage
32-bit

Post by Wispmage »

Games Beaten 2013
1. Bioshock Infinite [PC]
2. Demon's Crest [SNES]
3. Sacred Citadel [PC]
4. Dishonored [PC]
5. Bastion [PC]
6. Torchlight 2 [PC]
7. TMNT: Turtles in Time [SNES]
8. Mark of the Ninja [PC] *NEW*

As a big fan of stealth games as well as platformers, Mark of the Ninja struck a chord with me. I think the stealth kills, the variations thereof, and using them to terrify guards was my favorite aspect of the game. For that reason I employed the Path of the Hunter and the Path of Nightmares for the majority of the levels. Overall I enjoyed the game immensely, though my only complaint would be that the campaign seemed to drag on a bit after a certain point. That said though, I'll definitely be grabbing the DLC and going back to 100% complete all the stages at some point in the future.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1. Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead - PC (January 2)
2. America's Army - Arcade (January 12) - 1cc!
3. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Gamecube (January 26)
4. Dragon Spirit - NES (February 7) - 1cc!
5. Final Fantasy - (by way of DoS) - GBA (March 15)
6. Wing Commander - PC (March 21)
7. Medal of Honor European Assault - Gamecube (March 30)
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - Gamecube (April 6)
9. Half-Life - PC (April 25)
10. Fantastic Dizzy - Genesis (May 16)
11. Fatal Fury Special - NeoGeo (in MAME) (June 10)
12. Gun - Gamecube (June 15)
13. Road Rash Jailbreak - GBA (July 3)
14. Road Rash - Genesis (July 10)
15. Road Rash 2 - Genesis (July 18)
16. Road Rash 3 - Genesis (July 29)
17. TMNT Turtles In Time - Arcade (August 10)
18. TMNT The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis (August 22)
19. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Gamecube (August 24)
20. Ninja Warriors Again - SFC (August 26)
21. 8 Eyes - NES (September 13)
22. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonstrike - NES (September 19)
23. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown - Gamecube (September 21)
24. *NEW* Adventures In The Magic Kingdom - NES (September 22)

Now here's a Capcom/Disney title that not many people would play or talk about. For good reason! I'm not saying that this does not have that famous Capcom touch of quality that all the rest of their Disney games have, but this was not made for your average player. You must find 6 silver keys all throughout the Magic Kingdom. 5 are in attractions, and there are 2 platformer stages, a Bump N Jump style racing stage, a mine cart style stage that reminds me of Fantastic Dizzy, and a QTE stage over in Space Mountain. The final key is found by talking to people in the park and answering Disney trivia questions. This game is undeniably easy, and I finished it in about an hour. I think it might have been designed for possibly a younger audience.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Assassin's Creed 3 (Xbox 360) - 1/6/2013
2. Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 (Gamecube) - 1/11/2013
3. Metal Gear Solid 2 (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Xbox 360) - 1/20/2013
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Xbox 360) - 1/22/2013
5. Sega Bass Fishing (Xbox 360) - 1/22/2013
6. Sonic & All-Stars Racing TRANSFORMED (Xbox 360)- 1/26/2013
7. Yakuza (PS2) - 2/2/2013
8. Yakuza 2 (PS2) - 2/22/2013
9. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) - 2/23/2013
10. Panzer Dragoon (Xbox Port) - 2/23/2013
11. 1941: Counter Attack (Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed; PSP) 3/1/2013
12. Forgotten Worlds (Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed; PSP) 3/1/2013
13. Binary Domain (Xbox 360) - 3/17/2013
14. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 3/21/2013
15. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) 3/21/2013
16. Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram - 3/22/2013
17. Ico (PS2) - 4/13/2013
18. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 4/18/2013
19. Phantasy Star (Sega Master System) - 4/26/2013
20. Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) - 6/2/2013
21. Journey (PS3) - 6/2/2013
22. Flow (PS3) - 6/2/2013
23. Flower (PS3) - 6/2/2013
24. Gunstar Heroes (Genesis) 7/10/2013
25. Sonic Colors (Wii) 9/4/2013
26. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

It's been a long time since I played this game, the last time was at a friend's house in middle school. I don't recall all the dungeons, so my guess is he played it at times between me playing when I wasn't around. This game is so well made, has just the right difficulty--I died 45 times in my playthrough, I blame some of the dungeons on my poor performance--they are incredibly challenging! This game might be one of my all time favorite Zelda titles, and my rankings similarly with Noise and Dsheinem on this matter are:
1. A Link to the Past (For Overworld, alone)
2. Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages (In that order, great puzzles)
3. Wind Waker (Art style, great progression)
4. Ocarina of Time (Great entry into 3D)
5. Legend of Zelda (Somewhat dated now, but still amazing)
Last edited by Blu on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

^I seriously can't wait for the new sequel.