Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Luke »

Ack, I gotta say that beating Cap&The Avengers is quite the feat. That game is relentless and as difficult as most of the games on my list. Beating it in single player mode is a chore and so much more difficult without a pal to play with you. And there are limited continues (like the Gen port) right?

Kudos. That's a beast of a game to beat.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I beat Cap & Avengers with some friends, I think we used saved states though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Luke wrote:Ack, I gotta say that beating Cap&The Avengers is quite the feat. That game is relentless and as difficult as most of the games on my list. Beating it in single player mode is a chore and so much more difficult without a pal to play with you. And there are limited continues (like the Gen port) right?

Kudos. That's a beast of a game to beat.

That's right, there are five continues, fewer than the Gen port. But there are some tricks to learn to help with things:

First, learn the proper positioning for the shmup sections makes stages 2 and 3 significantly easier. And these sections include powerups which increase health or enable the Wasp to show up. Note that Vision and Iron Man flying have the same size hit box as Captain America and Hawkeye on speeders.

Second, learning the differences between characters' moves can mean the difference between getting a pounding and beating the game. Here are some examples:

Captain America's shield returns, and it travels much faster than the other characters' projectiles. It was because of this that I ended up favoring him the most.

Iron Man and Vision can effectively float while raining down laser blasts if you tap the button right. While Hawkeye and Cap can jumpkick to avoid danger, it's also more likely that they will get caught on the way down by one of the relentless enemies.

Control wise, Vision felt the most sluggish. It may just be a personal thing about wanting to play as other characters, but I liked playing him the least.

Third, enemy types are actually very limited, and once you understand how to defeat them, they are considerably easier. Here's a brief breakdown:

Gun Robots - shoot in a pattern. Avoid being horizontal to them and don't jump in front of them. They enter an animation before shooting, so you can easily dodge when you see it.

Shield Robots - slow. Don't bother with projectiles, just walk through them vertically while punching to take them out.

Frog Robots - Dangerous when close but also slow. Hit them with a projectile once when they hop, and you should KO them.

Gorilla Robots - Tends to favor horizontal charges. Do NOT go near them, but take them out with projectile attacks from afar. The weaker variety should go down in one or two hits, but the harder variety will take some dodging. And when I said do NOT go near them, I MEAN IT. They will grab you almost 100% of the time.

Robot Soldiers - The biggest problem with the game is that the standard footsoldier is really tough. But if you can get them to clump, you can easily jumpkick them to death or pop a few with projectiles for a couple of hits to wear them down. Don't bother trying to punch these guys, because they'll inevitably hit you back.

Fourth, watch out for terrain with varying height. You can and will occasionally bump into a lip and realize it just in time to take a mechanical fist to the face. And throwing objects? Forget them. They waste time lifting and using, and they have very specific ranges. Work around them.

After that, learn the bossfights. Certain bosses have obvious patterns(such as the Sentinel, Whirlwind, the Grim Reaper, and the first form of Red Skull). Most can(and must) be jumped over at some point in their pattern. As for some of the other bosses...well, truth be told, I know who they are supposed to be and still can't figure out who is who. Juggernaut is absurdly tough, just run like Hell. And if Mandarin is the boss I think he is, good luck. That fight is brutal, and I hate it. Once you get to Red Skull, be happy: he has two forms, but the first is a cakewalk and can easily be done without taking damage as long as you pay attention to his tells. The second form, you must jump to hit, and he will catch you in this web-crap that holds you in place, but if you spam buttons, you can get out without him hitting you. He's a cheap bastard though.

Oh, and finally, one last thing: if and when you beat this game, you will NEVER want to play it again.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
First half of 2013:
6/1 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 3 - The Oracle (PC)
6/5 Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
6/2 Bioshock Infinite (PC)
6/3 Hotline Miami (Vita)
6/10 Kentucky Route Zero: Act II (PC)
6/14 The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)
6/14 New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
6/23 The Swapper (PC)
6/24 A Dark Room (PC)

Games Beaten = 24
DLC = 1

8/16 Icarus Proudbottom: Teaches Typing (PC)
www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping

Fun little diversion, that has some really hilarious lines. Very funny.

9/2 The Last of Us (PS3)
Holy crap is this game amazing and way longer than I expected! Naughty Dog is definitely a company that does very well on iterating their gameplay forward and improving on their past work. I love that the gunplay feels very scrappy and frenetic, but I don't feel like I'm out of control or that the character won't do what I want, which I often feel in the Uncharted series. Stealth is a big proponent and makes for some very tense situations, where I'm just creeping by at a snail's pace. The tenseness is also atributed to amazing sound design and atmosphere.

The standout as always for Naughty Dog of late is the storytelling and voiceacting. Clearly Amy Hennig as taught the storywriters over there very well and since Wikipedia says she didn't work on this title, I cannot wait for whatever she is working on. Subtle touches throughout this game with character interaction and dialogue were amazing. And the graphics!!! Best on a PS3 to date, bar none, best game on the PS3, bar none. Seriously I cannot gush enough about this game. I hope there is another for PS4 coming. So many places to take this universe.

9/6 Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
I had Persona 4 on the mind when I bought this and it didn't disappoint. Very addictive turn-based RPG gameplay, where you can do tricks to try and get more turns. You get extra turns by exploiting weaknesses and getting critical attacks. It seems like very balanced gameplay too and favors differing styles of combat (strong magic or strong physical or jack of all trades). YOu just have to recruit your demons based on how you style the MC. The story is weak, but the setting is cool, and the gamplay is what you stay for. Certainly the best 3DS game I've played yet.

9/10 inFamous 2 (PS3)
Sandbox, 3rd-person, actioner. This is fairly similar to the first one, so if you're not a fan of that one, nothing to see here. I do like the first one a lot and I liked that several of the annoying mission types from the first are gone in this. There seemed to be more variety in mission type as well. I really like the world they built with this game and can't wait to see where they take the story with Second Son. The narrative gets somewhat disjointed in spots due to the sandbox nature, but I think they have room for improvement.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

So I finally got around to checking out Lunar and it was a great adventure. I think the PSX version of Lunar is as good if not better than any of the 4th gen RPGs I've played.

I absolutely loved the presentation of the game. The aesthetics of it was just awesome. It was colorful and even though the world was in 2D, there were a ton of sprites and the towns were big.

The combat was pretty interesting. I enjoyed the movement system, where your character has to walk up to an enemy in order to hit them and if they're too far they waste a turn traveling. It made for some more tactical thinking in the early portions of the game, but by the end it doesn't really matter since both AI and your characters can attack from across the field without much issue.

The fights were surprisingly challenging. Many of the filler bad guys you run into are quite durable. I died my fair share of times to normal mobs. Though by the end of the game, you find yourself trying to avoid the encounters since they take so long and often require using magic points to clear in a reasonable amount of time. I think the game could have used a bit more variety to compliment its difficulty, because there are not many magic spells to chose from and you have no control over who's in your party and who is not.

The bosses were pretty awesome, but as I alluded too before, you often use the same strategy against a boss. Buff your characters attack damage, and spam your best spells - rinse and repeat. Regardless, some of the fights come down to the wire because a lot of the bosses have cheap ass moves, especially Xenobia, Royce and the final villain in the Magic Emperor.

The story does a good job at simulating an adventure. Starts out small with your fat friend Ramus wanting to do some stupid shit in a forest but snowballs very naturally into a much grander plot.

There is a lot of dialogue, so talking to NPCs in the game is actually worth it and fairly entertaining if you have the time. However, I do think the game has too many cheesy moments. I personally think the game would have been better if there were no voice acting and they could have cut out a lot of the anime cut scenes.

The actor's delivery is just flat out amateurish, certainly a reflection of that games age where anime/video game dubs were not done too well during that period. Voice acting also exposes how cliche and weak the script is (or the translation of the script), if a lot of those scenes were done in text then it would be much easier to digest.

The FMVs are low quality and grainy, forgivable since they're fairly colorful, but certainly hard to ignore. There are too many FMVs, and it often breaks the flow of the game going from 2D to anime for no real reason. I mean when ever you meet a character or a plot revelation happens, they'll cut to a cheesy anime cut scene for like 10 seconds.

All in all, it was a great game. If you're not a fan of Turn Based RPGs, then it's not for you, but if you like that style of gaming I don't get why someone wouldn't love it. It's a great bridge to the 16 bit and 32 bit era of RPGs (well, it is a 16 bit game but remade with 5th gen perks). The plot is certainly cheesy and dated, but it isn't insulting, and the game is grand enough that you can often forget you're doing the same thing over and over again.

I give it an 8 or a 9 out of 10.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Luke wrote:Hey Exed,

Would you say 8 Eyes is closer to Castlevania or Faxanadu? I think it's time I pick this game up.

Castlevania. They nailed the look. You'll see castles, stair climbing, items, some enemies, all just like those games. But it's really *nothing* like any of those games, if you get what I mean.

YouTube user NESGuide is perfect for these type of games, quality's not that great but you'll get a good 5 minute preview of the game. Click here.

I forgot to mention - the ice ball will be your best weapon on bosses -- it freezes them right up!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Wispmage
32-bit

Post by Wispmage »

Games Beaten 2013
1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Demon's Crest
3. Sacred Citadel
4. Dishonored
5. Bastion
6. Torchlight 2
7. TMNT: Turtles in Time *NEW*

Had a friend over last night, and after playing a few different games, we settled into Turtles in Time on Hard for the SNES. We'd beaten it previously on Normal difficulty, so we figured it was time for the challenge of Hard mode. After about 40 minutes or so, we had bested it yet again. It was a blast as usual, though frustrating in certain parts, most notably the Shredder fight before getting sent through the time warp. All of the Foot Clan enemies were now capable of blocking, which made them annoyingly difficult to throw at Shredder. Ended up going through a few lives, and a continue, but made it through none-the-less.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1-50
1. Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)(TPS)
2. Teen Agent (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
3. Alpha Protocol (PS3)(RPG)
4. Beneath A Steel Sky (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
5. Imscared - A Pixelated Nightmare (PC)(Horror)
6. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (SNES)(RPG)
7. Celestial Mechanica (PC)(Platformer)
8. Gravity Bone (PC)(First Person Adventure)
9. Secret of Mana (SNES)(RPG)
10. Lure of the Temptress (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
11. Mario's Early Years: Fun With Numbers (SNES)(Edutainment)
12. CoD of Duty (PC)(FPS)
13. The Bard's Tale (PS2)(RPG)
14. The Great Circus Mystery, Starring Mickey and Minnie (SNES)(Platformer)
15. Deus Ex (PC)(FPS)
16. The King of the Wood (PC)(FPS)
17. Shadows of the Damned (PS3)(Horror Adventure)
18. Chuck Rock (SNES)(Platformer)
19. Arcana (SNES)(RPG)
20. Jurassic Park (SNES)(Action-Adventure)
21. Brawl Brothers (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
22. Monopoly (SNES)(Boardgame)
23. Dr. Mario (SNES)(Puzzle)
24. Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (SNES)(Platformer)
25. Breath of Fire (SNES)(RPG)
26. The Death and Return of Superman (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
27. Battle Blaze (SNES)(Fighting)
28. Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Video Game (SNES)(Action-Adventure)
29. Mario's Early Years: Fun With Letters (SNES)(Edutainment)
30. Dwarfs!? (PC)(I have no idea)
31. Super Adventure Island (SNES)(Platformer)
32. Batman Returns (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
33. Pit-Fighter (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Lester the Unlikely (SNES)(Platformer)
35. Killing Floor (PC)(FPS)
36. Dungeons of Dredmor (PC)(RPG)
37. The 7th Saga (SNES)(RPG)
38. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)(Platformer)
39. Super Mario Bros. 3, via Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (SNES)(Platformer)
40. Sunset Riders (Arcade)(Run and Gun)
41. Battle Circuit (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
42. Monster Maulers (Arcade)(Boss Rush Fighter)
43. Metamoqester (Arcade)(Boss Rush Fighter)
44. Ninja Baseball Batman (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
45. Alien vs. Predator (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
46. Sunset Riders (SNES)(Run and Gun)
47. Chrono Trigger (SNES)(RPG)
48. Star Fox (SNES)(Rail Shooter)
49. Brutal: Paws of Fury (SNES)(Fighting)
50. Ultraman: Towards the Future (SNES)(Fighting)

51. The Binding of Isaac (PC)(Adventure)
52. DLC Quest (PC)(Platformer)
53. DLC Quest: Live Freemium or Die (PC)(Platformer)
54. Hotline Miami (PC)(Beat 'Em Up)
55. Anodyne (PC)(Adventure)
56. Scribblenauts Unlimited (PC)(Puzzle)
57. Puzzler World (PC)(Puzzle)
58. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (PC)(FPS)
59. Cave Story+ (PC)(Adventure)
60. Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition (PC)(FPS)
61. Duke Nukem 3D: Duke It Out in DC (PC)(FPS)
62. Duke Nukem 3D: Life's a Beach (PC)(FPS)
63. Duke Nukem 3D: Nuclear Winter (PC)(FPS)
64. Dead Pixels (PC)(Run and Gun)
65. Rogue Legacy (PC)(Roguelike Platformer)
66. Doomsday Warrior (SNES)(Fighting)
67. Ultimate Fighter (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
68. Captain America and the Avengers (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
69. Jeopardy! Deluxe Edition (SNES)(Game Show Simulator)
70. Hook (SNES)(Platformer)
71. The Great Waldo Search (SNES)(Puzzle)

20 minutes was about all it took to beat The Great Waldo Search on both difficulties. Both difficulties feature four images which can be chosen in any order, followed by a fifth much more difficult image taken from the Great Waldo Search book. Each image is a horizontal strip containing hidden point markers, clocks used to gain extra time, Waldo's dog (which enters a bonus game where he rides a flying carpet to acquire bones for points), as well as Waldo and the Wizard's scroll. Only Waldo and the scroll must be found to advance in each level, though grabbing everything else will net more points. The harder difficulty will change a few things (clocks gathered will randomly set off a mini-game to find a particular object in an image, while the flying carpet ride becomes more difficult, and the scroll is hidden in a more difficult place to notice), but both difficulties are completed via the same method.

So..yeah. 20 minutes and you'll likely be done with it.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Max Payne 3

Got this on a Rockstar sale a few weeks ago in anticipation of GTA5. Have to say that generally I was disappointed.

I like Max as a character, psychopath that he is, and I like the hard boiled world he inhabits but the game dragged for me and the twists in the plot left me caring less about what happened.

The violence is very kinetic and the trademark bullet time is still satisfying to use but the cover mechanics aren't up to the level of a gears or vanquish and some enemies are just bullet sponges. So yeah, it's a 6/10 game, good for the weekend, not the long haul. (Great audio though).

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Top fun this one, enjoyed every second of it's all too brief running time.

It's basically a chibi-Shinobi in the vein of Kid Dracula or Splatterhouse: Naughty graffiti, which takes locations, enemies and even musical motifs from the original Shinobi arcade and makes it more cartoon-y and child friendly.

The difficulty is also decreased from Shinobi, so this is not a hard game and I beat it second time through, which for me is pretty good but for some of you will it'll be a one credit deal.

Still, great fun and a great colourful 8-bit platformer. Alex's spin-y fireball move is pretty cool and the pokes at Mario elevate this game a bit as well.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This is now my front-runner for game of the year. So much silly, silly fun with a ridiculous glean of 80's sci-fi action added on top. Yeah it's all kinds of crass and violent and dumb but that's the point and it's a point rammed home with lazer-eyed dragons.

The Killstar alone makes the game worth a punt. Something it also does that other games would do well to learn is that it doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's a one-note joke yes, but not one padded out for 20+ of game time. Six hours and you're done including collectibles.

The soundtrack is great as well, including a cheesy credits song a la Transformers: The Movie.

Batman Returns (Snes)

This game is so close to being a true 16-bit classic it's a bit frustrating to be honest. The only thing more frustrating are the battles with Catwoman. :x

I think what lets this game down the most is the license insofar as being based on Returns as a movie rather than Batman on the whole. It basically restricts the game to looking like Batman punching clowns in the snow at night. Fat clowns, thin clowns, clowns up sticks, all punched (or bataranged) from level one through seven.

The only break is a section in the batmobile that I think actually looks really cool but plays a bit stiffly. With a bit more imagination this could have been a stellar release and talked of in the same breath as Streets of Rage 2 and Turtles in time. Still a solid way to spend an hour though. (Sidenote: a beat 'em up with no multiplayer? Boo-urns).
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Wispmage wrote:Games Beaten 2013
1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Demon's Crest
3. Sacred Citadel
4. Dishonored
5. Bastion
6. Torchlight 2
7. TMNT: Turtles in Time *NEW*

Had a friend over last night, and after playing a few different games, we settled into Turtles in Time on Hard for the SNES. We'd beaten it previously on Normal difficulty, so we figured it was time for the challenge of Hard mode. After about 40 minutes or so, we had bested it yet again. It was a blast as usual, though frustrating in certain parts, most notably the Shredder fight before getting sent through the time warp. All of the Foot Clan enemies were now capable of blocking, which made them annoyingly difficult to throw at Shredder. Ended up going through a few lives, and a continue, but made it through none-the-less.

Running shoulder ram, makes tossing them into Shredder a breeze, and with you constantly on the move he'll never hit you

Sload Soap wrote:Batman Returns (Snes)

This game is so close to being a true 16-bit classic it's a bit frustrating to be honest. The only thing more frustrating are the battles with Catwoman. :x

I think what lets this game down the most is the license insofar as being based on Returns as a movie rather than Batman on the whole.

A lot of the 8-bit and 16-bit Batman games didn't really focus on the character at all...until The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES, which is my favorite 2d Batman game. There were other Batman games that were fun to play back then, but they just didn't actually feel like games about Batman, just regular games with Batman sprites in them
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.