Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by Stark »

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
2/28 Kentucky Route Zero: Act I (PC)
3/12 The King of the Wood (PC)
3/14 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
3/20 Persona 4: The Golden (Vita)
3/27 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/6 Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
4/14 Good Morning, Commander (PC)
4/12 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 1 - The Hangman (PC)
4/17 Don't Sh*t Your Pants (PC)

Games Beaten = 11

4/19 Guacamelee (Vita)
I heard this described as Wrestlevania and I'm partial to it. Great platforming and fighting gameplay. I love the challenge of the last two bosses, but I wish they had ramped up to them better. The boss before that was a push over.

This is a lot like their previous title Mutant Blobs, in the way they do a lot of pop culture/meme references for the humor and it really amused me. The music was really, really fun and had a couple of Mario cues later that I really enjoyed. Loved every minute (and according to my playtime indicator at the end that was around 8hrs.) Pretty sweet for a $12 download title!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Raiiban
24-bit

Post by Raiiban »

2013 Games Beaten
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Hotline Miami (PC)
Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Quest of Ki (Famicom)
Flow Free (Android)
Ni no Kuni (PS3)
Bad Dudes (NES)
Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
Sexy Parodius (Saturn)
Ys 1 Chronicles + (PC)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Umihara Kawase (Super Famicom)
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed (PC)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (PS3)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Atlantis no Nazo (Famicom)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3)
4/14: Bioshock Infinite (PC)
4/18: Panorama Cotton (Genesis/MegaDrive)

Really enjoy playing through this game once in a while, this was the first time I tried playing it since I got a S-Video mod on my Genesis and it looked great. Can't really decide if I like the on rail or the horizontal shooter games from the Cotton series more. They both do different things pretty well.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

dsheinem wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Just out of curiosity, how would you say Guacamelee compares to Dust: An Elysian Tail? Do you like one more than the other? I was so impressed by both games, and they share similar gameplay styles. When I played Guacamelee I kind of felt like I was playing 2013's Dust: An Elysian Tail, which made me quite happy.

I really like both. I haven't finished Dust, though, and something about playing that game on my big TV - while gorgeous - makes me not as compelled to sink time into it as quickly as I did with this one. I preferred the vibe/setting of Guacamelee, prefer the PS style controls over those of the 360, and I took advantage of its portability...but in the end I'd guess Dust is a better game in most regards.

Good points. The Vita compatibility is a nice bonus. Guacamelee has a sort of pick up and play accessibility to it and the portability of the Vita seems a good fit for that. I'll have to try their previous game too when I get a Vita of my own. I also think Dust is the better of the two games, but not by a wide margin. I can see how Guacamelee's style could be more appealing to some. I like Dust's style more, but also love Guacamelee's unique approach with the Mexican theme. That's not very common.

You should finish Dust sometime. There's some really awesome stuff to experience near the end of the game. It's gonna be on Steam at some point, which might be convenient for you since I know you do a fair amount of PC gaming.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Company of Heroes PC
Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Far Cry 3 PC
Mega Man 2 3DS
Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS
Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U WiiU
Mario Kart 7 3DS
Lego City: Undercover WiiU

Injustice: Gods Among Us WiiU

An awesome fighting game with an above average storyline. Took about 5 hours to make my way through it and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I can see myself getting into the Online mode of this one.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/19 Guacamelee (Vita)

Games Beaten = 12

4/19 Perspective (PC)
Oh man, what a great game! This reminds me a ton of Portal 1, with the pure environmental puzzle nature (and the prominent blue and orange decision points.) I would call it a puzzle/platformer and has a really unique concept. Move a 2D sprite around a 3D landscape. Doesn't make sense? Follow the links below for a video!

Made by some dudes at DigiPen, here it is, in it's entirety for free! This little gem is totally worth your time, makes you think and has some challenge. JT did a write up for our Indie Watch 2012, see here.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Stark wrote:Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
1/21 To the Moon (PC)
3/17 The Darkness 2 (PC)
4/2 Gravity Bone (PC)
4/19 Guacamelee (Vita)

Games Beaten = 12

4/19 Perspective (PC)
Oh man, what a great game! This reminds me a ton of Portal 1, with the pure environmental puzzle nature (and the prominent blue and orange decision points.) I would call it a puzzle/platformer and has a really unique concept. Move a 2D sprite around a 3D landscape. Doesn't make sense? Follow the links below for a video!

Made by some dudes at DigiPen, here it is, in it's entirety for free! This little gem is totally worth your time, makes you think and has some challenge. JT did a write up for our Indie Watch 2012, see here.

The trailer makes it look like playing Mega Man on drugs :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Very fun!
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

Luke wrote:
NihonRobot wrote:19. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360) - 4/16

How was/is it? Certainly didn't you long to beat so I wonder if it has any replay value.

I liked it a lot. I added it to my list since I finished the story mode, but there is still plenty more to do. It has about as much single player content as the latest MK did. Lots of challenges and different battle arenas.

It's basically Mortal Kombat but with DC characters, with the awesome addition of interactive environments. Being able to grab objects from the stage and knock your opponent from room to room adds more than you'd think, both in strategy and entertainment.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Liberation Maiden (3DS) - 1/6
2. Dead Space (360) - 1/11
3. Anarchy Reigns (360) - 1/13
4. Dead Space 2 (360) - 1/17
5. Dead Space 2: Severed DLC (360) - 1/17
6. DmC Devil May Cry (360) - 1/22
7. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) - 2/5
8. CoD of Duty (Web) - 2/7
9. Dragon's Dogma (360) - 2/12
10. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360) - 2/13
11. Dead Space 3 (360) - 2/18
12. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360) - 3/5
13. Sonic the Fighters (XBLA) - 3/10
14. Tomb Raider (360) - 3/12
15. Ridiculous Fishing (iOS) - 3/17
16. Bioshock Infinite (Steam) - 4/7
17. Trials Evolution (XBLA) - 4/9
18. Bit.Trip Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (XBLA) - 4/15
19. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360) - 4/16
20. BattleBlock Theater (XBLA) - 4/21
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

1. Thomas Was Alone - PC
2. Sam & Max Save the World - The whole season - PC, GOG versions
3. Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space - The whole season - PC, GOG versions
4. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 1 - PC, GOG version
5. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 2 - PC, GOG version
6. Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 3 - PC, GOG version
7. The Walking Dead Series - PC
8. Sly Thieves in Time - PS3
9. Guacamelee - PS3

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - 3DS

I finished the game in thirteen hours with 93% map completion on normal difficulty (beating the game unlocks "hardcore" difficulty and a new game plus). Mirror of Fate feels like an amalgamation of everything the franchise has embraced over its storied history. In some ways, it harkens back to the 8-bit/16-bit era where Castlevania was a straight forward action platformer. Most of the rpg elements that have become the norm for 2D Castlevania games in recent years are non existent here. Your character levels up and gains new moves, but that's the only real nod to the rpg genre. Most of the time the game is very linear too, with you always being pushed in a certain direction. And whipping enemies, engaging in platforming exercises, and fighting the occasional boss along the way.

However, you'll find yourself gaining new abilities as you fight your way through a chapter. Once you get near the end of a chapter, you'll find a teleport room of some sort. At that point, the game opens up and allows you to revisit previous areas, using the various abilities you've acquired to access hidden areas you couldn't get to before. This is when Mirror of Fate starts to fall more in line with the metroidvania era of Castlevania games.

In addition, Mirror of Fate takes many of the modern gaming elements that Lords of Shadow used so abundantly, and adapts them to a 2D setting. This means a God of War style combat system with blocks, combos, dodges, guard breakers, etc. It also has other GOW style, modern elements like epic quick time events(some of the most fun ones I've ever played through), puzzles, collectible items, and various modern action game tropes like inexplicable invisible barriers confining you to a combat arena, orb collecting, and mashing buttons to open chests. In Lords of Shadow, this all felt like blatant rip offs of games like God of War and Devil May Cry. In a 2D setting however, it feels fresh. This certainly isn't your typical 2D Castlevania game.

Visually, the game looks good. The character and enemy designs are all pretty good, and the game basically replicates the 3D graphical style of its big brother Lords of Shadow in a 2D space. The cutscenes are really nice. They have this sort of colorful, cell shaded look to them which feels truer to the series' 2D roots. The contrast between the in-game graphics and the style of the cutscenes feels like a mix of old and new, which kind of sums up this game in general.

The soundtrack is not up to par with some of the legendary soundtracks the series is known for, but it is still of a high quality. The main difference here is that it is not as eclectic as something like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's soundtrack. Mirror of Fate opts for a conventional cinematic score throughout the game. It's quite good though. The soundtrack is at its best during the game's more climactic moments where it does a good job of creating an epic, cinematic feeling. Boss fights for example, are punctuated quite nicely by the game's soundtrack. In fact, more than anything else, it's the boss music that is still in my head after having beaten the game. It's good stuff

Speaking of which, the game has some truly excellent bosses and mid-bosses. It really does the series justice as we've come to expect great bosses from Castlevania games. Some of them are quite memorable, and tough too.

The story is pretty decent, owing to the nice cut scenes and some capable enough voice actors. In retrospect, much of it is predictable, but it's presented well. Don't expect anything approaching the level of quality you would get from a top tier rpg or adventure title, but it's certainly a good story for this type of game. In fact, it's better than Order of Ecclesia's story, which was the last really prominent 2D Castlevania game I've played. There are nice references to things from other Castlevania games too, but changed to fit into the new Lords of Shadow mythology. There's a final cutscene for getting 100% map completion that I haven't unlocked yet. The various scrolls you find help to flesh out the game's world as is the norm with collectibles in many games these days since Bioshock's audio dairies. They'll sometimes give you tips or warn you of future danger too. They also double as checkpoints, which is nice. You'll need to find them all for 100% completion, along with bestiary entries and upgrade chests (which boost your magic, health, and sub weapon ammo)

The controls are great, most of the time. One of the abilities you acquire later in the game has really unreliable controls, which is annoying. Combat works well and is fun. It's nice to play a very melee oriented Castlevania when previous games like Order of Ecclesia seem so magic focused(though there are a few magical abilities you'll occasionally make use of in Mirror of Fate). I think one could certainly argue for Mirror of Fate having the best action of the series, at least in 2D anyway. You've never seen a Belmont in a 2D game with so many offensive moves for his whip before. Plus, you can still rely on some cool as shit sub weapons to aid you in combat too. Also, the platforming feels solid throughout the game. The game overall is well designed and challenging in some parts. It's fairly good at coming up with ways to freshen up the gameplay too whenever you start feeling like you've seen it all. Checkpoints and saves are frequent, giving the game the level of convenience a lot of people want from portable gaming

Mirror of Fate does have a few minor flaws. Backtracking can get tedious. The game could have benefited from one or two more teleportation rooms in each chapter. There are also load times in the game as you transition from area to area or when you die and the game reloads the boss fight. They're not super long, but I still have a hard time accepting load times in a cartridge game. There's also some shitty swimming sections in the game. Lastly, characters don't move their lips during cutscenes. It's really awkward, like some sort of poorly dubbed Asian martial arts movie.

Overall, it's a great game. In a lot of ways, I actually enjoyed it more than its console big brother. I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10. It doesn't really have any significant flaws, but doesn't quite have that certain special, undefinable magic that marked some of the series' most classic titles. It's not for lack of effort though. It's a quality title, that treats Castlevania with respect, and makes me comfortable with the idea of MercurySteam taking the reigns of 2D Castlevania going forward.

Oh, and one last thing. Fuck IGN. A 4.7? Seriously? This isn't the first time they've given some ridiculously low score to a solid game either. What the hell is wrong with that site?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: