Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Stark Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:35 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Stark wrote:Although you have Orange Box, maybe you should play Half-Life 2 and Eps 1 & 2 first than Portal 2...tough call.

I have not played HL2 Ep 2 b/c I hear it would make the wait for HL3 even more intolerable.

IMO, the end to Ep1 is more cliff-hanger-y than Ep2.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:35 pm

I can't even remember the end of episode 1, but I do recall episode 2 having a pretty huge cliffhanger. I'm not a huge HL fanboy, so it's not a big deal for me, but it's a pretty dick move to the hardcore fans to end episode 2 the way it did and not follow it up for years.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 pm

brunoafh wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:The controls are designed to be as annoying as possible. The boss fights are designed to be as annoying as possible. And you just never escape the feeling that the game just doesn't like you, or that it takes pleasure in your suffering. It feels like a game that is constantly flipping you the bird.

Sounds exactly like God Hand :lol:

Yeah, that other game I don't like. I guess I don't understand the appeal of games like that. I mean, like I said before, I'm not put off by hard games, but it annoys me when a game makes me feel like I'm being trolled the whole time. That's a very specific type of hard that I'm not really into
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Balasubbie
128-bit

by Balasubbie Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Games Finished 2013:

1. Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
2. Pokemon Black Version 2 (DS)
3. Psychonauts (PS2)
4. The Cave (PS3)
5. Sonic Adventure 2 (PS3)
6. CoD of Duty: Fish in a Barrel (PC)
7. Virtua Cop (PC)
8. House of the Dead (PC)
9. Typing of the Dead (PC)
10. Final Fight One (GBA)
11. Earthworm Jim (GBA)
12. Puyo Pop (GBA)
13. F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (GBA)
14. King of Fighters: R-2 (NGPC)
15. Breath of Death VII (PC)
16. TRAUMA (PC)
17. Dear Esther (PC)
18. Proteus (PC)
19. DLC Quest (PC)

Yeah, I've gone a bit Steam-nuts recently.

Breath of Death VII is kitschy baby, and a knowing one too. It doesn't crack any new ground, beyond expediting the usual RPG down to 6 hours with built-in savestates, and a renewing HP after every battle. The story is guff in which to hang 'wink-wink' moments on to, but it plated up a very enjoyable DQ-esque experience, and it cost pennies.

Dear Esther, Proteus and Trauma barely merit inclusion on any 'games beaten' list, but they're done with. I notice that a lot of these 'walking-sims' tend to meditations on death, or the whizz of life. Granted, they do so with varying degrees of success. Proteus, really, comes off best, but that may have more to do with it having no narrative to deal with, and therefore nothing to nitpicky that removes one from the experience.

DLC Quest is a fine joke that manages to break out on time before it outstays its funny.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 am

First 50:
1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES
35. Super Mario Bros. NES
36. Friday The 13th NES
37. Totally Rad NES
38. Shatterhand NES
39. Twisted Metal Black PS2
40. Tekken 3 Bleamcast
41. Tekken Tag Tournament PS2
42. Tekken 4 PS2
43. Tekken 5 PS2
44. Tekken 6 360
45. Pro Wrestling NES
46. Tecmo Wrestling NES
47. Tag Team Wrestling NES
48. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 2 360
49. Jurassic Park Genesis
50. Excitebike NES

51. Willy Beamish Sega CD
52. Sewer Shark Sega CD
53. Jurassic Park Sega CD
54. Star Wars Rebel Assault Sega CD
55. NHL '94 Sega CD
56. Spider-Man vs. Kingpin Sega CD
57. Ironsword NES
58. TMNT Return from the Sewers Gameboy
59. Duck Tales Gameboy
60. Duck Tales 2 Gameboy
61. Super Mario Land Gameboy
62. Super Marion Land 2 Gameboy
63. Strider GBA
64. Bionic Commando GBA
65. Golden Axe GBA
66. Mini Final Fight GBA
67. Tetris Gameboy
68. F-1 Race Gameboy
69. Home Alone Gameboy
70. Road Rash Genesis
71. Rambo III Genesis
72. Shinobi III Genesis
73. LHX Attack Chopper Genesis
74. StarFox SNES
75. Final Fight SNES
76. Madden '94 SNES
77. Donkey Kong Country SNES
78. NCAA Basketball 2008 360
79. Vectorman Genesis
80. Vectorman 2 Genesis
81. Actraiser VC
82. Child Of Eden 360
83. The Duel Test Drive II Genesis
84. Hard Drivin' Genesis
85. Dr. Mario NES
86. Super Mario Kart SNES
87. Super Mario World SNES
88. Metal Gear NES
89. E.T 2600
90. Mario Superstar Baseball Gamecube *new*
91. Starfox 64 VC *new*

Love Superstar baseball. Placed first in every mini game, collected every character, beat every stadium. It can get a bit repetitive, but it's so cute that I don't mind.

I think I prefer Starfox over Starfox 64. Some of the bosses in 64 are annoying.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 am

So Far this year I've only Beaten Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge and The Last of US also cleared story mode in Mortal Kombat again.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 am

Luke wrote:Love Superstar baseball. Placed first in every mini game, collected every character, beat every stadium. It can get a bit repetitive, but it's so cute that I don't mind.

Good to know. I saw some mixed reviews for that one, but I always thought the Mario sports titles were pretty good.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

ExedExes wrote:
Luke wrote:Love Superstar baseball. Placed first in every mini game, collected every character, beat every stadium. It can get a bit repetitive, but it's so cute that I don't mind.

Good to know. I saw some mixed reviews for that one, but I always thought the Mario sports titles were pretty good.

The stadiums are gorgeous, and usually interactive in the outfield, All your favorite characters are there, and it feels like a baseball simulator.

That is until you get good. Then you need to start playing against a friend because every player's bat (or glove, or tree, etc.) has a sweet spot. Once you know when and where to hit the ball, which doesn't take long, you can send the ball to deep left field on almost every hit and rack up runs like crazy.

So the AI isn't great, but it was meant for people of all ages. It gets a pass on that since if you play against a friend(s) the real competition begins. Plus it is fun as balls. Fun balls.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
First half of 2013:
6/1 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: Episode 3 - The Oracle (PC)
6/5 Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Games Beaten = 20
DLC = 1

6/2 Bioshock Infinite (PC)
Man this game is good, but I'll get the disappointing stuff out of the way first. The graphics were distracting in some parts, textures would be off or bushes would look funny for a modern game. Several sections where the passerbys in a certain section were 3 or 4 models repeated over and over. I also wish that Bioshock games would get away from the money and "search barrels to win" gameplay. Or that major things are better explained through voxaphone than through cutscene or dialog with main characters! Since voxaphones could be missed I think this is a missed opportunity with narrative.

Alright got those out there. The gunplay/vigor combat is definitely the strongest of the Bioshock games, the way you can combine those together really works well and better than it has previously. The voice acting and story are pretty much unmatched besides The Last of Us (although I haven't beaten TLoU yet.) Game's been out awhile, not saying anything new here, but I need to find me a spoilered thread here so I can see theories and whatnot. Loved it.

6/3 Hotline Miami (Vita)
Top-down twin-stick shooter/beat-em up, seen through the lens of Miami Vice and the movie Drive. Add to that infectious techno music that just sticks with you. There's a lot of challenge and a lot of polish and I ended up being blown away by how awesome this game is. Sucks you in and you just want to keep playing until you get it. You'll die a lot and love every minute.

6/10 Kentucky Route Zero: Act II (PC)
Second act of a 5-part series. Basically interactive fiction and really well done at that. Excellent writing and music set this game apart from the pack. Another 3+ month wait for act 3 I guess ... I'll just wait by the computer for it.

6/14 The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)
An excellent DLC to bridge the gap between Season 1 and Season 2. You play as 5 different stories whose path has intersected in some way or another with this one little gas station, in the 400 days since the apocalypse. Amazing what Telltale is able to do with so little time, as you end up caring about the arcs of these people very quickly and have to make some very hard decisions.

6/14 New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
New Mario game which is basically Super Mario 3 + Super Mario World. Pretty much as awesome as that sounds.

6/23 The Swapper (PC)
Puzzle platformer that came out a couple of months ago. Art assets are done in claymation and I ended up really liking the stylings of it. Basically you find a device called "The Swapper" which has two functions, the ability to create 4 clones of yourself, and the ability to swap your soul into one of the clones. Once a clone exists it follows the movements of the main character and if a clone dies, you have the ability to create a new one, up to 4. When you click to place a clone time slows down a little bit to give you time to do it. All this leads to some complex environmental puzzles that just build on each other, kind of like Portal. In this game you don't really get any more skills, but the puzzles build on each other in complexity in a really elegant way. Tons of atmosphere and style and the last few puzzles are insanely difficult. I recommend turning on subtitles from the get-go as I had trouble understanding what they were saying at first and thought it was part of the styling, until I realized they were actually saying something. :oops:

6/24 A Dark Room (PC)
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Free online game. There's the URL above. Hard to explain, but I had a lot of fun playing it over a few days, kind of a resource management, plus rogue-like. Took me a couple of days to beat, I just had it running in a browser and visited it every so often.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:37 pm

1. NHL '94 (SCD)
2. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (Sat)
3. Bust-A-Move Pocket (NGPC)
4. Sonic The Hedgehog (DC)
5. Columns (DC)
6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (DC)
7. Capcom Vs. SNK (DC)
8. ChuChu Rocket (DC)
9. Nightwarriors Darkstalkers' Revenge (Sat)
10. Half-Life (DC)
11. Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Sat)
12. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Sat)
13. Dead or Alive 5 (PS3)
14. Final Fantasy (PSP)
15. Lollipop Chainsaw (360)
16. Vampire Resurrection (PS3)
17. Boxing (PS2)
18. Skiing (PS2)
19. Ice Hockey (PS2)
20. Aliens: Colonial Marines (360)
21. Portal (360)
22. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (3DS)

1CC'd SF4 on 3DS. Good stuff.
Return to General Gaming