The Other Fighting Games of the 16-bit Era

Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

The Other Fighting Games of the 16-bit Era

Post by Redifer »

Yeah, so not all fighting games could be Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat related. So let's take a look at some of them. What 16-bit era fighting games that weren't Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat were your favorite? How about least favorite?

Linky link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zPkF0VHvg <---OMG CLICK!!!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: The Other Fighting Games of the 16-bit Era

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Great episode! Good to see some love given to the genre in an era filled with forgotten 2D fighters.

First off, thank you for reminding me of Fighting Masters, a genesis game we rented over a million times as a child, which helped inspire me to love the fighting genre. It may sound strange for such an obscure and flawed fighter, but I was 8 at the time.

Also, on the Eternal Champions commentary, I understand your dislike for it, even though I completely disagree. I had no success playing the game on the genesis, but found the Sega CD sequel to be vastly superior in terms of hit detection and move input. That game is hard and there is no real way to put it. You have to spend a lot of time practicing and understanding move-sets and combos. This game was probably the one I spent the most time playing and found it to be incredible amounts of fun.

The soundtrack is great on Sega CD, especially the hidden characters levels in the game. You have U.S. Senator whose level music is a rocking Hail to the Chief cover found here. http://youtu.be/W714dJxpugk

There is also a tiny chicken, a flying owl, a hoop using, monkey kung-fu loving guy and even the grim reaper.

I understand the frustration as it does have a hybrid of moves. I tended to work on the more combo-heavy characters like Midknight and Trident, who worked well for me.

Loved the episode guys and keep it up!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey guys, I figured I'd pop in and point out a few more domestic SNES titles that you might be interested in covering the next time you do a video on these types of games.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition - I recommend this game a lot for the SNES, probably more so than any other fighter on the console, because most folks look at the property and refuse to give it a chance. Please do! It's an excellent fighter, with some brilliant animation and audio work, but above all else it controls well and has a unique special system that heavily relies on timing for more powerful effects. Please note that this game is very different from the MMPR fighting game on the Sega Genesis.

Power Instinct - This is a port of the arcade game Gouketsuji Ichizoku by Atlus. I can't comment on the Genesis version, as I've never compared the two, but this game provides a variety of modes not often seen in 16-bit fighters, as well as a very quirky cast. There's issues with shadows, bland stages, and some iffy audio, but the gameplay is solid.

WeaponLord - This is the most brutal fighting game I have ever played, and one that was absurdly ahead of its time. Characters have 9-12 special moves, brutal combos, the ability to parry, deflection maneuvers, take down moves and ground hits, the ability to damage the appearance of the enemy player, and different endings for characters depending on which ones you killed and which ones you spared. This game is truly meant for the hardcore fighting game fan and will hand even experienced players their butts.

ClayFighter: Tournament Edition - You discussed ClayFighter, but there was a Blockbuster-exclusive Tournament edition which fixed a lot of the game's glitches, added new backgrounds, and included a variety of new options and modes. I feel it controls a little better to, but that may just be me. Either way, I consider it the best of the ClayFighter series on the SNES, as I generally loathe C2: Judgment Clay.

World Heroes series - Both World Heroes and World Heroes 2 received SNES ports. They're relatively simply fighters with no combo systems or super moves, relying entirely on well-timed hits, specials, and throws, and a lot of chipping. I like the first one immensely and also own it for Neo Geo MVS. The SNES port of World Heroes 2 is also notable as the only version which allows players to select the bosses, via a special code.

There are also ports of such games as Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, 2, and Special, Samurai Shodown, King of the Monsters, KotM2, and Fighter's History. And a lot of terrible fighters too. Some really terrible fighters...
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

If Dave enjoyed Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, he should try out the J only Ranme 1/2 Super Battle. It is much improved. :)
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Hobie-wan wrote:If Dave enjoyed Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, he should try out the J only Ranme 1/2 Super Battle. It is much improved. :)

I agree with hobie.

I found that SNES game at the fleamarket a few years ago. And it is quite fun. No more jump button, its up on the controller.

It almost came out in the USA, but for some reason it didn't.

I'm pretty sure theres a fan translation patch for it out there too. This time around you can read what the characters are saying. And not miss a thing like the dragonball games.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Hobie-wan wrote:If Dave enjoyed Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, he should try out the J only Ranme 1/2 Super Battle. It is much improved. :)

It is indeed!

Joe, if you or Dave are interested in trying Super Battle/showing it on a follow up to this episode, I do have a spare cart only copy I'd be willing to send you. Let me know if you're interested.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Konacha
32-bit

Post by Konacha »

Great episode. I remember a number of these games back from the 4th Generation but I wonder if maybe in the future you will cover more fighting games on later systems that were 2D (such as Jaguar & 32x for example). The reason I ask is because these games were still holding onto the 2D fighters before the fad started to die out and move towards 3D platformers fad at the time.

Also, I just notice this was your 99th episode, are you having anything special for your 100th episode?
Last edited by Konacha on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:ClayFighter: Tournament Edition - You discussed ClayFighter, but there was a Blockbuster-exclusive Tournament edition which fixed a lot of the game's glitches, added new backgrounds, and included a variety of new options and modes. I feel it controls a little better to, but that may just be me. Either way, I consider it the best of the ClayFighter series on the SNES, as I generally loathe C2: Judgment Clay.

Clayfighter: Tournament Edition is a fairly common game, and I don't think that it was a Blockbuster exclusive. (Sculptor's Cut on the N64 was such an exclusive, however, and it is quite rare.) Also, I agree completely that C2: Judgment Clay is the worst in the series.

Ack wrote:World Heroes series - Both World Heroes and World Heroes 2 received SNES ports. They're relatively simply fighters with no combo systems or super moves, relying entirely on well-timed hits, specials, and throws, and a lot of chipping. I like the first one immensely and also own it for Neo Geo MVS. The SNES port of World Heroes 2 is also notable as the only version which allows players to select the bosses, via a special code.

This is refreshing. For the longest time, I thought I was the only person who enjoyed the World Heroes games.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Good one Joe.

As a fellow Sega fan, I also don't really care for the gameplay in Eternal Champions. The overall horror themes are cool though.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods