Should I?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Should I?

Post by AppleQueso »

have we reached 3 pages of discussion yet?
Ack

Post by Ack »

slowslow325 wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Slowslow325, just admit you committed a faux pas.

Had to look that one up....

I didn't commit a "violation of accepted social norms" because saying "gay" in that manner IS an accepted social norm by most people. The people that don't accept it, need to give reasons why we shouldn't say it. Because it offends gay people? Well, maybe those people should learn it's not an insult to them. It can only insult you if you think it's insulting to you.

Also, if anyone got offended by me describing the color "baby blue", they need therapy.

But it is an insulting term to many homosexuals and in the past we have had homosexual members make comment or contact the moderators over members using the term in a derogatory fashion.

We have also had Japanese members take offense to people referring to Japanese games as the JAP version, as opposed to the JP or NTSC-J version, since Jap was a slang label for Japanese intended to insult them. While the word gay may have at one point meant happy, it has since evolved into a slang term for homosexual and is most often used as an insult or derogatory term. We here at Racketboy.com ask that you refrain from using it, for one, because it has offended members in the past and may do so again, and two, because you should be able to develop a more reasonable explanation of your negative feelings towards said game.
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

Post by JohnBaxterly »

AppleQueso wrote:have we reached 3 pages of discussion yet?

Yeah, I think so. :D
"Hand over the wave, yeah, Hand over the water"
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Cool, I called it :D
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

slowslow325 wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Slowslow325, just admit you committed a faux pas.

Had to look that one up....

I didn't commit a "violation of accepted social norms" because saying "gay" in that manner IS an accepted social norm by most people.

Yes, if most people are 16-22 year old frat boys, then yes. :roll:

Seriously, just admit you fucked up.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Jeez you guys are such gamers. There's no need to be such a gamer about it. :roll:
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

slowslow325 wrote:Again, if I say "I hate black DS's", that does not mean I hate black people.

Using your examples, it would be more like the equivalent:

Gay blue Gameboy SP
Nigger black DS

See how that's offensive there? Everyone pardon me using that to prove my point. :oops:

Black (as one definition) is a color as is blue and doesn't generally have a loaded meaning unless tied to other loaded words or intonations when spoken. Adding a pejorative adjective to enhance your written displeasure of the color of the SP is the problem here. If you really can't see that and don't grow up and out of that mindset then have fun being thought of as a bigot by many people in future.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Well written rebuttal, Hobie.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

The way I used the word gay, is like an alternative to the word "girly". Society has developed the word into that when used in that context. I don't particularly like the blue, but I don't hate it. I was NOT using it as a derogatory term, I was just describing the color better.

The word "cop" originated as a derogatory term when people would make fun of police officers by calling them "coppers" based on their buttons which were made out of copper. The term was shortened to "cop" but was still used as a derogatory term. Now, it's commonplace to say "cop" and not derogatory in the slightest.

If we are using the word "Jap" to describe a console made in Japan, that's not a derogatory term, so if someone takes offense in that, they need to seek help. We aren't calling them "Japs" we are calling the console that because it's a shortened version of the word.

Explain to me why someone would be offended by me saying "Gay baby blue". Do they think that means I hate the color? I don't. If you still don't see what I'm saying, in order to take offense in something, you have to view it as an insult. Therefore, you are just insulting yourself.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

slowslow325 wrote:The way I used the word gay, is like an alternative to the word "girly". Society has developed the word into that when used in that context. I don't particularly like the blue, but I don't hate it. I was NOT using it as a derogatory term, I was just describing the color better.

The word "cop" originated as a derogatory term when people would make fun of police officers by calling them "coppers" based on their buttons which were made out of copper. The term was shortened to "cop" but was still used as a derogatory term. Now, it's commonplace to say "cop" and not derogatory in the slightest.

If we are using the word "Jap" to describe a console made in Japan, that's not a derogatory term, so if someone takes offense in that, they need to seek help. We aren't calling them "Japs" we are calling the console that because it's a shortened version of the word.

Explain to me why someone would be offended by me saying "Gay baby blue". Do they think that means I hate the color? I don't. If you still don't see what I'm saying, in order to take offense in something, you have to view it as an insult. Therefore, you are just insulting yourself.

your forum name makes more sense with each post you make!