Should I?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

Should I?

Post by JohnBaxterly »

Not sure if I should post this here or not, but I'm sorta at an impasse. I just saw a Gameboy Micro for $45 at a pawn shop near me. The only reason I even considered buying it is because I kinda thought they were at least a little rare. Not sure of this, correct me if I'm wrong. I also thought twice, though, because I hate the DSi's lack of backwards compatibility. I miss my old GBA games!

However, I don't currently own any GBA games. So should I buy the Micro and then get some games (I've been hunting one of the WarioWares, to no avail) or just forget the whole thing?

Thanks for any input, guys!
"Hand over the wave, yeah, Hand over the water"
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: Should I?

Post by 8bit »

Just a reminder, the gameboy micro is only going to be able to play gameboy advance games and nothing else. The gameboy micro isn't really rare (unless its the nes anniversary version) but pretty valuable right now. I would think for $45 you should be able to purchase one online plus some good games.

But if you are inclined to buy local, go back to the pawn shop, get a very close look at it, check to see if it will be coming with its charger and talk them down to $30-$35 bucks. Go in with cash and say thats what you have got to spend. If they go down to like $40 only make sure that price is at least tax included!

Good luck!
Last edited by 8bit on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

They aren't particularly rare, but you will have to spend some money on one. $45 is a pretty steep price, I'd try not to spend more than $35 on one.
BlackDS
Next-Gen

Post by BlackDS »

I say go for it, gameboy advance is a very fun system.
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I would go for it!! :)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I'd say pass and try to find a GBA SP instead. Bigger screen, more comfortable, just as portable, and it actually plays GB and GBC games.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

AppleQueso wrote:I'd say pass and try to find a GBA SP instead. Bigger screen, more comfortable, just as portable, and it actually plays GB and GBC games.

This is the way I would go.
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

Post by JohnBaxterly »

8bit wrote:check to see if it will be coming with its charger

Yeah, it's got the charger and what looks to me like a car charger. Not positive on that, though. I'll go back to check. It's also the black color, if that matters. :D

I'm not sure if I'd wanna buy it online, kinda because this was just gonna be an impulse-buy, y'know? But I was planning on buying the games online, oh yeah! Amazon is my friend.

Thanks for your help! I never thought of negotiating the price. I'm a newbie to pawning. lol

(also, as an aside, the store has both Metroid: Fusion and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for like, $2 or $5, can't remember exactly. should I go for those?)
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

The black one would be just a standard issue gb micro. get both of those games but try to get them for like $3-4 each at most.

Negotiating at pawn shops is expected by the owners and they should be willing to work with you on the price. Just be confident and dont be afraid to walk away if they wont get to the price you really want. Remember pawn shops are suppose to be a place to find a bargin... not pay online or gamestore prices...
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
JohnBaxterly
24-bit

Post by JohnBaxterly »

AppleQueso wrote:I'd say pass and try to find a GBA SP instead.

Believe me, man, this would be my first choice out of the two, but I already had an SP for a couple of years. I then sold it to get a DS Lite, then sold that to get another SP, then (once again) sold that to get my DSi. I only really want the Micro because I never had one, which kinda makes me sound like a douche, huh? :D

I'm thinking about just dropping it, anyway. We'll see if I change my mind. Thanks for all your help, guys!