CRT is real life

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: CRT is real life

Post by noiseredux »

foxhound1022 wrote:Is it worth getting VGA for DC?

I just have mine hooked up through composite.

yes. It looks amazing. Amazing.

The only problem is a handful of games can't be played. The KOF games for instance. Some games can be forced with a boot disc, but not those. But seriously, stuff like CvS look stunning in VGA. I've said that games like that or Sturmwind rival even PS3/360 2D games thru VGA. And when I played Sonic on the Sega Smash Pack it was like seeing the game with new eyes. All these vibrant details I don't feel I saw on my Genesis (thru RF) back in the day.

@Valkyrie - thanks it's an Acer H233H, and I use a Neo-Flex stand to TATE it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I love my CRT. Use it for everything but PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

foxhound1022 wrote:Is it worth getting VGA for DC?

I just have mine hooked up through composite.

viewtopic.php?p=355539#p355539

Racket has some VGA cords in the store again and 20% off coupon through Friday.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yes, I actually bought some the other day and expect them to arrive soon.

I looked, and a lot of my DC-J games say VGA on the back, which I'm assuming means it supports them.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

foxhound1022 wrote:Yes, I actually bought some the other day and expect them to arrive soon.

I looked, and a lot of my DC-J games say VGA on the back, which I'm assuming means it supports them.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php? ... -amp-Guide
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

This thread is truth, and one of the main reasons I've been so stoked on getting back into original hardware--thanks to the free CRT my friend gave me. There's just something about the experience of a CRT that you can't get otherwise, HLSL and SweetFX and shaders be damned.

Although I'm not knocking LCD's; I've got an ASUS VH236H on one of those Neo-Flex stands too, which is pretty cool in its own right.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I still prefer the HD CRTs over the new LCDs. They are getting better @ rendering blacks but the color contrast on the HD CRTs is amazing.

Yeah 4:3 SD CRT is the ticket for retro. I rock a 27" RCA Tru Flat.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote: Playing shmups with 3 frames of delay on a badly upscaled image filled with dot crawl is like playing shmups with an Atari 5200 controller. Why would you even do it? Seriously I doubled my score in Eliminate Down. You probably don't TATE your LCD either. I mean, how could you?

Heh, I play shmups on an LED, and I do not TATE.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

If you're in the UK, there's this Yahoo Group called Freecycle, my mum got a huge 16:9 CRT wit a VGA input from there for......FREE! People are always giving these things away. If I move back to the UK and get a bigger place I'll be picking up one or two of these.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just wanted to mention:
For a larger screen size, but still real-time direct image with authentic 240P scanlines on Component video you can get a standard definition, 3xCRT 4x3 rear-projector TV. My Sony 48" still gets a fair amount of use despite having a X-RGB mini and a 60" plasma. The 4x3 image on my Plasma is only around 1" less on the projection TV and the image through a SCART to Component transcoder is almost exactly the same as the 640x480 scanlined image from my XRGB.
The only drawback to these TVs I know of is the side-angle viewing (less than 45° because of the projection media, Blue colors being unfocused (Blue bloom around the white - intentional and unfixable, unless you manually defocus the Red & Green as well), and blooming/oversaturation on bright settings. Still, an awesome gaming display, and SD ones are still available cheap since they're SD (mine was given to me a few years ago for installing a horribly crappy LCD replacement).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage