Will Gamestop ship items from another store?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Will Gamestop ship items from another store?

Post by gtmtnbiker »

I was reading through some threads over at the neogaf.com forums where some users mentioned that they didn't have a gameboy micro at their local store and were able to get Gamestop to ship one from a different store to their store. It wasn't just one user who was friends with a manager but several users.

Is this a secret policy that you just have to ask about and your request will be granted?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Will Gamestop ship items from another store?

Post by noiseredux »

I've requested this and been told so many times "no we dn't do that." But once a nice worker did it for me. For a $5 game even. Supposedly, they CAN do it, but it costs $ that if not spent ends up being like a bonus for the store manager or something like that. At least that's the story I've heard.
TonySoprano314

Post by TonySoprano314 »

noiseredux wrote:I've requested this and been told so many times "no we dn't do that." But once a nice worker did it for me. For a $5 game even. Supposedly, they CAN do it, but it costs $ that if not spent ends up being like a bonus for the store manager or something like that. At least that's the story I've heard.

They can. I was very good friends with the manager of a Gamestop and he got me 2 copies of Nocturne. One sealed and the other used. There is a fee involved. I think it was 4 dollars per game, but for something like what I got it was completely worth it. I actually use this "feature" quite often lately.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

That's what ModMan told me too. They can only ship overnight or something crazy and that money is otherwise the manager's bonus. So why would the manager want to spend $20+ of their bonus to send what will likely be a used (not regular stock) game to another store so they can make a sale that will probably be $30 or less. :roll:
JWatts
24-bit

Post by JWatts »

I was good friends and a former coworker of a local manager at my neighborhood gamestop and he shipped games for me a few times.
Basic process is, find a gamestop with a nice manager, preorder A LOT of games, get to be good friends with them, work there for a few months between semesters, get a few games shipped, manager is relocated, find somewhere else to buy games.
millerjm2
24-bit

Post by millerjm2 »

A little over a year ago when GameStop was clearing out their Game Boy inventory, I was able to convince a manager to get roughly 200 games sent from New York. There were no fees involved, just took a little legwork.
Jerkface Killah
32-bit

Post by Jerkface Killah »

I did this a few times, back when I was an EB Games/GameStop assistant manager. There was never any "fee" involved except the normal UPS fees, but those were billed to the company anyway. We moved product around all the time, they want to move games to where they would sell (i.e. all the $9.99 and under games that aren't selling in upscale neighborhoods get sent to the lower income areas, and so on). On occasion we would search the other store's inventory for stuff we wanted and have it shipped to us. It was a nice perk, but it doesn't make up for the fact that my wages were way too low for the ammount of responsibilty I had and we were treated like shit by upper management. I value my memories as a Gamestop employee for the sole reason that now I know what a shitty job is like.

JFK
Last edited by Jerkface Killah on Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFK
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I have had them ships games for me before. Maybe it is just what ever the employee feels like at the time.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

TonySoprano314 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I've requested this and been told so many times "no we dn't do that." But once a nice worker did it for me. For a $5 game even. Supposedly, they CAN do it, but it costs $ that if not spent ends up being like a bonus for the store manager or something like that. At least that's the story I've heard.

They can. I was very good friends with the manager of a Gamestop and he got me 2 copies of Nocturne. One sealed and the other used. There is a fee involved. I think it was 4 dollars per game, but for something like what I got it was completely worth it. I actually use this "feature" quite often lately.

There's no fee to the customers, you are being flat out scammed.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Yeah, most GS's will ship stuff in, but each shipped item costs 15 to ship as it goes UPS overnight express (ships day "X", spends day "Y" in transit and arrives on day "Z".) all of which slowly comes out of the store manager's X-Mas bonus.

Thanks to that most stores will refuse to have any items shipped in at all, or will only do it rarely if ever. Another thing is that most District Managers are against any and all shipments of product as they're graded on performance for how much they've saved the company. So, if their district had a lot of shipments last year their bonus and standing in the company shrinks when compared to a DM that refused any and all shipments.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366