[help] Castlevania Double Pack GBA Fake?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: [help] Castlevania Double Pack GBA Fake?

Post by Hobie-wan »

nightrnr wrote:I'm also worried about DS games these days (mostly because I can't tell the bad beyond a suspicious label). I don't even trust Gamestop, because I know they aren't trained to spot the bad ones. It would be terrible to overpay for a Pokemon game, just to discover it's a fake.

GS didn't care a few years ago when I went back with a fake GBA Pocky & Rocky with Becky I'd purchased. The label was only slightly stretched and silly me I assumed they'd have paid attention so just grabbed it quick. I of course noticed when I got home and opened it up for a clean before giving it a go. The manager just shrugged and asked if I wanted a refund, as if he couldn't tell by the way I was explaining how to tell it was a bootleg. I'm pretty sure it went right back in the case when I left.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Hobie-wan wrote:GS didn't care a few years ago when I went back with a fake GBA Pocky & Rocky with Becky I'd purchased. The label was only slightly stretched and silly me I assumed they'd have paid attention so just grabbed it quick. I of course noticed when I got home and opened it up for a clean before giving it a go. The manager just shrugged and asked if I wanted a refund, as if he couldn't tell by the way I was explaining how to tell it was a bootleg. I'm pretty sure it went right back in the case when I left.

Sounds about right.
I used to point out a few bootleg games (like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy VI, Donkey Kong Country, and a couple Mario games), and employees occasionally expressed interest and concern about what I had to say...
...but yeah, they usually remained in the case anyhow.

Bootleg detection just doesn't fit in their business model. I'm glad they don't deal in GBA anymore; with fakes as deceptive as this Castlevania cart.
...just another lost soul...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I can't find it, but isn't there a website that has photos of the circuit boards inside of every NES cart? A GBA version of that site would be extremely helpful.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I can't find it, but isn't there a website that has photos of the circuit boards inside of every NES cart? A GBA version of that site would be extremely helpful.

NES carts, including variations.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That's the one! Thanks.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'll back up that GS never cared. Around 3 years ago back west I went into one looking for a copy of Tetris DS to buy and they had a few. All of them but one was a fake. I had my system with me to test them and every fake wouldn't boot. I pointed it out to the manager who was helping me and he was surprised (of course) and pulled them. I had to go back in there for some reason a day or two later, they were all back in the case with stickers on them again. I never bought a used handheld game from them after that point and have barely bought anything since other than a black friday deal over a year ago.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

As soon as GS an employee is 1. trained, and 2. spends the necessary time checking for signs of bootleg, GS's margin is going to hurt (meaning they'll go from making a killing to making just slightly less of a killing). So until it starts costing them serious money in returns they'll probably never change practices. Probably better to just eat the cost of buying up bootlegs.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I agree with that, but eating them is one thing, knowingly putting illegal stuff back on the shelf after being made aware of it is just over the top. It's fraud.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

Tanooki wrote:I agree with that, but eating them is one thing, knowingly putting illegal stuff back on the shelf after being made aware of it is just over the top. It's fraud.

100% agree.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Here's a legitimate question. What's to stop bootleggers from selling disc only copies of rare games, like Panzer Dragoon Saga, or Cannon Spike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannon-Spike-Dr ... 43d4e443b8

For example, it's not a 100% accurate, but if someone was to disc print, would that usually be pretty noticeable? Just curious.