Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Console vs PCs in retrospect

by Gunstar Green Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am

I remember in the 90's at least that PC gaming was seen as more of the "thinking-man's" game platform. The games were often more technical and mature than what was on the consoles. Many were also aimed at teens to adults in contrast to console games which were tailored more towards all-ages (though many exceptions exist for both platforms of course).

Simulators and strategy games were a lot more complex than what you could effectively manage on the Genesis or SNES. Adventure titles and games with a more cinematic feel were more common on PCs. Graphics and sound were of course usually far more detailed and advanced.

What side you fell on really depended on what you were into back then. I remember a lot of PC gamers writing off consoles as "simplistic" or "kids toys" while console gamers wrote off PC games as "too complicated" or "boring."

Perhaps you don't remember the PC vs. Console war of the time very well because for a while they were very separate platforms with very separate strengths. If you weren't interested in what one of them had to offer you probably weren't paying much attention to it.

After the 16-bit era is where lines started to blur but even then they continued to offer very different experiences.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 am

jfrost wrote:I don't get the love people have for exclusives. I dream of a time when there are no exclusives.

I dream of the exact opposite. In my perfect, fictional world there would be no such thing as multi-platform games. Every single game in existence would be exclusive to one gaming platform, and every gaming platform would have its own unique identity and purpose. Owning one gaming platform over another would actually MEAN something. I would probably have to have you killed for trying to change that :lol:

Damn rebels trying to create multi-platform games in my perfect universe
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 am

Gunstar Green wrote:I remember in the 90's at least that PC gaming was seen as more of the "thinking-man's" game platform. The games were often more technical and mature than what was on the consoles. Many were also aimed at teens to adults in contrast to console games which were tailored more towards all-ages (though many exceptions exist for both platforms of course).

Simulators and strategy games were a lot more complex than what you could effectively manage on the Genesis or SNES. Adventure titles and games with a more cinematic feel were more common on PCs. Graphics and sound were of course usually far more detailed and advanced.

What side you fell on really depended on what you were into back then. I remember a lot of PC gamers writing off consoles as "simplistic" or "kids toys" while console gamers wrote off PC games as "too complicated" or "boring."

Perhaps you don't remember the PC vs. Console war of the time very well because for a while they were very separate platforms with very separate strengths. If you weren't interested in what one of them had to offer you probably weren't paying much attention to it.

I had a friend who tried to get me in PC gaming in high school, and "too complicated" and "boring" is pretty much how I felt about most of the stuff he showed me. He never succeeded in pulling me away from consoles, but I did find one or two games on my own that I enjoyed and wasn't put off by their more complex gameplay. Games like Starcraft and Tie Fighter become the exceptions to my mostly console playing days. I enjoyed those two games a lot. In general though, I was one of those people who found PC gaming boring. I never really cared for PC rpgs like Ultima or the tons of FPS shooters my friend tried to get me into. I just kept asking, "Why do you like this shit?" and would go back to my 2D fighters, platformers, beat 'em ups, and Final Fantasy games. Different strokes for different folks. Japanese gaming just had its hooks in me back then

Today I DO appreciate the PC, but mostly for its indie titles like To the Moon or Gravity Bone. It's interesting seeing the various things JT recommends.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:02 am

Gamerforlife wrote:
jfrost wrote:I don't get the love people have for exclusives. I dream of a time when there are no exclusives.

I dream of the exact opposite. In my perfect, fictional world there would be no such thing as multi-platform games. Every single game in existence would be exclusive to one gaming platform, and every gaming platform would have its own unique identity and purpose. Owning one gaming platform over another would actually MEAN something. I would probably have to have you killed for trying to change that :lol:

Imagine if movies and music were treated the same way as games. The Avengers on blu ray, only available on Sony Blu Ray players! Only have a Panasonic player? Too bad!

Video Games are kinda an odd medium when you think about it. My game collection is far bigger than my DVD/Blu Ray collection, but I don't need 20+ different pieces of equipment to play all my various movies and tv shows.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:

See, that's what I don't get it. Platforms are just marketing devices. Their identity is manufactured and sold to you. In reality, they represent nothing. Games do.

Consoles just inflate the costs of you enjoying the games.

We don't buy movies that are exclusive to MovieStation ou FilmBox. We buy DVDs that play wherever. It should be the same way with games.

Thankfully exclusivity is becoming a relic from the past as technology progresses.

The other day I read an article on a game blog about a developer who was drunk and said "I wish somebody just won" -- in the sense that he wanted to have a single platform to develop for and not to worry about having to port his games to a million different devices.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:

Imagine if movies and music were treated the same way as games. The Avengers on blu ray, only available on Sony Blu Ray players! Only have a Panasonic player? Too bad!

Video Games are kinda an odd medium when you think about it. My game collection is far bigger than my DVD/Blu Ray collection, but I don't need 20+ different pieces of equipment to play all my various movies and tv shows.

We don't even think about the availability of past titles either. We don't think "Oh shit, I just wish they ported The Godfather to my Blu-ray player". Things are just released and re-released with no big fuss.

Collectors like people in Racketboy throw a hissy about this in videogames ("Now there's less of a reason to own a Dreamcast!"), but no one really complains about the lack of necessity of owning a VHS player.

Sorry about the thread derailment, by the way.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:08 pm

jfrost wrote:We don't even think about the availability of past titles either. We don't think "Oh shit, I just wish they ported The Godfather to my Blu-ray player". Things are just released and re-released with no big fuss.

Collectors like people in Racketboy throw a hissy about this in videogames ("Now there's less of a reason to own a Dreamcast!"), but no one really complains about the lack of necessity of owning a VHS player.

Another thing worth pointing out is price expectations when it comes to re-releases. When an old album gets a reissue it usually comes out at around $15, same price as any new CD release. It sits on the shelf alongside all the new stuff and nobody complains. Same thing with movies, a new Blu Ray of a classic film will be released at the same price point as any modern film coming to the format.

It doesn't happen that way with games. If Nintendo were to try and re-release Yoshi's Island on the Wii U for $50, people would think they were out of their minds.

Not that I necessarily want things to be that way, but I do find it a tad disheartening how this contributes to the idea that gaming's classics are considered to be inherently worth significantly less than their modern counterparts by virtue of simply being "old."

Sorry about the thread derailment, by the way.

Heh, yeah. The way gaming is presented compared to other media would probably make a pretty interesting thread in its own right though.

*nudge* :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43195
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Menegrothx wrote:When was the last non-indy point&click adventure game released? Back in 1998?

What has being indie got to do with anything? Id, Activision, and EA were all indie when they got their starts and managed to grow. Would you say that Wolfenstein 3D, Pitfall, of the Construction Set games don't count in any discussions just because the developers were indie at the time?

RCBH928 wrote:still makes me wonder why people never took PC as their main gaming platform.

My parent's medium high end PC they bought in 1989 cost $2000 plus whatever the monitor cost, which was likely over $200-300 as well. That's obviously way more than $100-200 for a game console to hook up to a TV you already own.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:What has being indie got to do with anything? Id, Activision, and EA were all indie when they got their starts and managed to grow. Would you say that Wolfenstein 3D, Pitfall, of the Construction Set games don't count in any discussions just because the developers were indie at the time?

I really don't see games that are sold in stores and downloadable indy games (nor phone games for that matter) being in the same category. Pitfall was advertised in TV and was sold in stores worldwide. It even had it's own cartoon. How many current indy games can say the same thing? Things were different in the 1980s and 1990s. A game made by single person like Turrican or Another World could compete with big budget games and be sold in stores.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:28 pm

But the Pitfall cartoon came a year later. I'm pretty sure the commercials did too after it had already started selling well. You could use River Raid instead that came out a year earlier and didn't have a cartoon, but was popular. When people left big at the time Atari to form Activision, they were most certainly indie.
Return to General Gaming