Survivalist Simulators

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
AppleQueso

Re: Survivalist Simulators

Post by AppleQueso »

alienjesus wrote:SOS - Super Nintendo

This is a pretty cool, if slightly clunky game. You have 1 hour in real time to get off of the ship. There are 4 characters to choose from, who each have multiple endings depending on how many people they save and if they save the 'special' person each of them has aboard the ship. The game uses Mode 7 to twist and turn the ship as you play, which causes areas to become accessible or inacessible, and can also screw you over by making the ladder you were climbing turn into a ceiling suddenly, dropping you to the ground. When you hit the ground, you get knocked out, losing 5 minutes, but anyone else with you who falls with just die. Rescuing anyone is REEEEAAALLYY frustrating due to this mechanic and their AWFUL AI, but at the very least its an interesting and unique game to try.

Oh wow, this looks really interesting, and I've never heard of it before. Always on the lookout for neat looking SNES gems, so i'll have to definitely try and get this one.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I had heard of the name but never seen it. That looks really interesting! I cannot wait to try it out some time.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I doubt it will have survivalist gameplay, but the new Tomb Raider trailer pushes all the right buttons for me. I'd love to see a AAA release of a game like this about wilderness survival:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/01/tomb- ... bow-fired/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

J T wrote:I doubt it will have survivalist gameplay, but the new Tomb Raider trailer pushes all the right buttons for me. I'd love to see a AAA release of a game like this about wilderness survival:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/01/tomb- ... bow-fired/

I've played Man Vs Wild,while not executed to its full potiental did add this element to the game (eating bugs,drinking Pee,building fire) and was pretty intresting and not too bad at all.
Raw Danger & Disaster Report probably touch base here as well.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

That Day Z mod looks pretty great. Almost picked up Arma II for it alone.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Miasmata was just released on GOG today. I know it made the Greenlight criteria on Steam too.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/miasmata

I'm interested in this game as a survival simulator. You are on an island and there is a creature stalking you. You explore and map the island. You also have a lab for making salves from the indigenous plantlife. The graphics look nice and the concept is cool, I haven't instantly purchased it though because I want to see some reviews first.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Giant Bomb put up a quick look video of Miasmata, for those wanting to know more about the game:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-miasmata/17-6845/
Ack

Post by Ack »

I noticed it on GOG and am also extremely interested in it. Has anyone picked up Miasmata? I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I am surprised there isn't much talk about DayZ. The mod for a military simulator that is a backdrop to a zombie apocalypse. Factors like weather and hunger affecting your character as you need to stay fed, warm and safe. Not to mention that Zombies are the least of your worries as the majority of players are in it to win it, ruthless to the very end as they hunt you down more than the zombies.

Taking a look at Miasmata, I am actually VERY interested. I saw the title before but was never interested in it, simply going by the name alone. After looking at the trailer, though I am very interested. I have a deep love for the survivalist genre, mostly because I find them challenging and intriguing.

Lost in Blue for DS I really enjoy, but....I am terrible. My wife on the other hand loves that game and has beat all the modes of play on it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.