Survivalist Simulators

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
J T
Next-Gen

Survivalist Simulators

Post by J T »

This is an underdeveloped genre that I would love to see more of. The basic premise is that you need to stay alive under a harsh living environment. Finding shelter, food, water, and maintaining your physical health are the main aspects of the gameplay.

Minecraft is probably the most famous game that fits in this genre, though unless you add a survivalist mod, you won't have to be so concerned about food supply and water.

The best example of this genre I have played so far is a game you can get at gog called Robinson's Requiem: Deus. The first and second games come bundled together, but I'm mainly interested in Deus because the graphics of the first game are so bad that it's hard to even tell what you are doing. In both the Robinson's Requiem games you are part of a strange group that travels throughout space to different planets and then attempts to survive in the new environment. Deus has many aspects of survival that you have to keep in mind. Obviously, you'll need to eat, drink, and sleep. You also need to watch your characters heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, etc. There are hostile species on these alien planets, so fighting is incredibly dangerous, and running away is often the better option. If you get a wound, you will lose blood or get an infection if you don't do something about it soon. If it gets too bad, your limb may develop gangrene and you will need to amputate it and stitch it up. There are few games that require this degree of health management to survive, which is why this is such a unique game.

I've also posted about Stranded II, which I only just installed and haven't had much time to play yet. It's a game about being stranded on an island and having to survive.

To certain extent, games like Fallout 3 or Skyrim also have a bit of a survivalist flare to them, largely because of the freedom to roam their worlds and walk into areas you are not yet prepared for. I believe there are mods for those games too that require that you eat, drink, and sleep regularly.

Supposedly, The Sims 2 "Castaways" is another survivalist game. Has anyone played it?

Are there other survivalist simulators you would recommend I check out?
Last edited by J T on Wed May 23, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Re: Survivalist Simulators

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I loved survival kids on the game boy color
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

J T wrote:To certain extent, games like Fallout 3 or Skyrim also have a bit of a survivalist flare to them, largely because of the freedom to roam their worlds and walk into areas you are not yet prepared for. I believe there are mods for those games too that require that you eat, drink, and sleep regularly.

New Vegas has Hardcore mode built in that enforces those things and more (healing items take effect over time, ammo has weight, and companions can die).
eskil
32-bit

Post by eskil »

I used to play this low budget survivalist game back in the days. It was on the CD that came with a games magazine I used to read. It was isometric and very poorly animated, but the gameplay was pretty much flawless and I really enjoyed it. Sadly, I can't for the life of me remember the name…
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I didn't know Robinson's Requiem had a sequel, how is it compared to the original?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

General_Norris wrote:I didn't know Robinson's Requiem had a sequel, how is it compared to the original?

Much better, imo. I couldn't get into the original because the graphics made it really hard to see where I was going and remember where I was. The sequel isn't pretty, but the graphics are more functional. I like the FMV from the first one though and it has a generally weird vibe that certain low budget films sometimes nail almost accidentally.

Deus also has a lot of options for what you do. There are multiple ways you have to take care of your health. If you can't sleep you have to take sleeping pills. If you get bit by a venomous creature you have to find the serum, and you can use a tourniquette to temporarily slow the spread of the venom, but if you can't find a serum soon, you will have to amputate. If you're going to do that, then you need some anegesics, a knife with a saw blade, and stitches and bandages. I've never known any other game to allow for all of that before.
Last edited by J T on Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Bradtemple87 wrote:I loved survival kids on the game boy color

There are also sequels to this series, Lost in Blue in the DS.

I only played the first one but it was pretty reasonable.

Ivo.
Korpi
16-bit

Post by Korpi »

MMORPGs somewhat work for this:
Wurm
Haven and Hearth
Xsyon
EVE

Notch actually started Wurm with a friend. Looks like it was pretty good decision for him to make similar gameplay more approachable in his own game. Runs pretty shit, just like Minecraft.

Dwarf Fortress and some other roguelikes and strategy games.

Not so many games like this, pretty much my favorite type of game too. Never played anything Robinson Crusoe/Castaway style, that would simulate all that you listed. Stranded II and Robinson's Requiem seem to be just that, might look into them.

Rises question though, why not to go on some abandoned island yourself? I guess same question can be applied to any simulator... can't have personal spaceship yet so...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Survival Kids/Stranded Kids - GBC

Lost in Blue series - DS & Wii

Both of those were already mentioned, but how about something totally different, but also definitely the same genre:

SOS - Super Nintendo

This is a pretty cool, if slightly clunky game. You have 1 hour in real time to get off of the ship. There are 4 characters to choose from, who each have multiple endings depending on how many people they save and if they save the 'special' person each of them has aboard the ship. The game uses Mode 7 to twist and turn the ship as you play, which causes areas to become accessible or inacessible, and can also screw you over by making the ladder you were climbing turn into a ceiling suddenly, dropping you to the ground. When you hit the ground, you get knocked out, losing 5 minutes, but anyone else with you who falls with just die. Rescuing anyone is REEEEAAALLYY frustrating due to this mechanic and their AWFUL AI, but at the very least its an interesting and unique game to try.