Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Mazda MPV : The Van Of The Dead

by CRTGAMER Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Mazda MPV : The Van Of The Dead

My van was involved in an accident a few weeks ago. My daughter was driving it when the van was T-Boned and she survived without a scratch! A city contracted wrecker showed up right away, I demanded that my van be placed in my driveway, not at an impound lot. So the wrecker placed my vehicle second, putting the Jeep on top of the flat bed.

Mazda MPV Accident 05.jpg
Mazda MPV Accident 05.jpg (185.67 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

The vehicle is really durable, even after the passenger doors were crushed, she still drives straight and true. I was at a dilemma on what to do with the van since she ran so good with many great memories over the years. I spent the next couple of weeks hanging on to her, even attempted jacking the bent door frame with a pipe and scissor and bottle jack. I used an abandoned store wall early in the morning to avoid an encounter with the police. No luck, the van would just lean to one side. I could have taken a torch and lopped off that center post and weld in a new one along with two replacement doors from the junkyard. Still would have set back around a grand for the parts. Besides the bottom beam under the doors was crushed which would be trick to repair, even though underneath was sound. I relented and removed personal items, CDs and cleaned up all the broken glass.

Since it was only a couple more weeks until Halloween, I decided to make it the display this year. The car Insurance company needed time to work out the details on which driver was at fault anyways. My van due to the age was considered a total loss since it was only worth just over two grand in the current market. I did the House of the Dead thing again. Set up a CRT TV with Dreamcast outside in the back of the vehicle. Lightgun shooting zombies while passing out candies to the little monsters. Normally it would be in the SUV, but this year was special for the VAN OF THE DEAD.

This picture was taken AFTER the terrible accident above. Even damaged, still looks good.

Mazda MPV 1990.jpg
Mazda MPV 1990.jpg (188.55 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

After Halloween came and went, I removed a couple of the Mazda emblems and the front license plate. These will be mounted on the Garage wall alongside some vintage metal signs. I gave her one last car wash, topped off all the fluids and WD40ed the motor for a nice shine. The vehicle has been in the family for a very long time, so it broke my heart this morning when the large Flatbed Wrecker arrived. This was bigger then the Wrecker that dragged my poor MPV into the driveway a couple of weeks ago. It was a huge Semi Truck Five Car Carrier for a direct transfer to a large receiving lot up in Northern LA. I was wiping off the windows from the morning rain when the transport arrived. Silly that I would wipe her down before getting hauled off. Started to choke up and exclaimed "Its only a Mini Van!" while trying to regain my composure. But oh the memories, the road trips to Oregon and the Redwoods, many good times since my kids were babies. I showed the driver the engine which still looks good; the type that normally would be in a two seater mid life crisis car. Fired the beautiful 18 valve V6 motor up, then positioned the van behind the wrecker gunning the motor and making the van jump forward. The Motor and Tranny were both overhauled in 2005 so I had stuck a laminated description of this right on the steering wheel. The repair history was placed in the glove box for proof which I pointed out to the driver.

Mazda MPV 18 Valve 3.0 V6.jpg
Mazda MPV 18 Valve 3.0 V6.jpg (249.65 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

The Wrecker driver started setting chains down to drag it up the Flat Bed after raising the floor up. He saw how attached I was to my van and drove her all the way up the lifted ramp in style, and not using the undignified chains. Yes, my van drove up that big aluminum hill with class. He assured me since the motor was sound, the van would not be crushed but sold as an auction for parts or maybe someone just might replace those two doors and center post. I have the address of that lot, may visit if I'm in the neighborhood anytime soon. I commented I was half tempted to drop the van off to a poor family at the border, but maybe this was better. I thanked my MPV for protecting my daughter. At least part of the van will live on; less then a year old tire set are on her for someone, a replacement taillight on another and maybe the motor and transmission in another Mazda. It is just a Mini Van but one does get attached due to the memories. She almost is alive, as one of the family. :(

References
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MPV
Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mpv/
Kelley Blue Book: http://www.kbb.com/mazda/mpv/
MPV Forum: http://www.mpvclub.com/
1996 MPV Review: http://www.wheels.theadvocate.com/revie ... a/mpv/1996
Chilton Name Meanings: http://community.cengage.com/Chilton/bl ... /does.aspx

The MPV is the only model in Mazda’s line which has an acronym that means something, in this case, Multi-Person Vehicle. Or was it Multi-Purpose Vehicle or Multi Passenger Vehicle? :?
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Mazda MPV : The Van Of The Dead

by CRTGAMER Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 pm

THE VAN OF THE DEAD
Made a Halloween display. Dreamcast House of the Dead in the back and a strobelight on the side. Note the obligatory frog on the van roof which appear after the library in the game.
Attachments
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 08.jpg
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 08.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 09.jpg
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 09.jpg (151.46 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 12.jpg
Mazda MPV Van of the Dead 12.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice job with the setup, CRT. Looks like a lot of fun.

Sorry about the van, though. It sounds (and looks) like you took really good care of it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm

It's always sad to send a vehicle away that has served faithfully. At least it died in the line of duty, not molding away in a garage and your daughter is safe.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Its probably heading down my way.

I am on the border with mexico.

Pretty much everyday at the borders theres a row of people and trucks with messed up cars. They are in line to import their vehicles to mexico. They have to pay the governments import fees and such.

Some Cars are totally refixed and ticketed with 'salvage' tags. Some stay in mexico and some may get sent back to the US. It seems to be profitable for people down here.

If a car is undrivable and on a flatbed, these end up going for parts.

Some of these damaged vehicles stay down here in the California side at a storage/truck lot waiting for the permits/time to go south.

Dont know if your car is modern enough to get the rebuild tho. But most cars that come this way most likely come from the SoCal areas.

Its sad to see a car go away. I lost my first car too a few years back. It was a 1992 corolla.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:05 am

So glad to hear that your daughter was able to walk away from the accident, sorry to hear another MPV is off the streets.

"Catchin' keys from across seas
Rollin' in MPV's, every week we made forty G's"
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am

Luke wrote:"Catchin' keys from across seas

d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 pm

I informed http://www.thewebsiteofthedead.com/ of this thread. :)
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Luke wrote:So glad to hear that your daughter was able to walk away from the accident, sorry to hear another MPV is off the streets.

"Catchin' keys from across seas

Yo brothas respect mine, or anger the tech nine
Ch-POW! Move from the gate now

I can't hear or read about an MPV without the almighty Raekwon popping into my mind.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for all the kind words! I really wish I had the camera when that driver raced her up the wrecker ramp. It was tipped up steep and high, the van sitting taller then the roof of my house. Gutsy and also great that he did that, shows the MPV still has life in her. :D

flojocabron wrote:Its probably heading down my way.

I am on the border with mexico.

Pretty much everyday at the borders theres a row of people and trucks with messed up cars. They are in line to import their vehicles to mexico. They have to pay the governments import fees and such.

Some Cars are totally refixed and ticketed with 'salvage' tags. Some stay in mexico and some may get sent back to the US. It seems to be profitable for people down here.

I hope so, a nice feeling that the van will get resurrected to a point. Doubtful due to the crushed doors, but just maybe. It would be something if I saw it years from now. Having done maintenance on her over the years, I know I could spot the MPV right away.

What is it with new cars, most are front wheel drive. I know more floor space, but a compromise mechanically over the long term. Gaaaah I hate CV joints, prefer a rear axle for decades worth of reliability. The 1st generation MPVs are rear wheel drive, yet the second and third passenger rows have floors that are flat. The only "van" with hinged doors, features of a SUV yet drove like a car.

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever